PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics]

Moderators: Clyde Frazier, trex_8063, Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal, Quotatious

Statlanta
Head Coach
Posts: 6,374
And1: 4,498
Joined: Mar 06, 2016

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#961 » by Statlanta » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:09 am

I'm watching old Dallas videos to get ahold of Dirk's prime and I'm not impressed by Jason Kidd.

He looks like normal player more than a HOF PG.
User avatar
eminence
General Manager
Posts: 8,827
And1: 5,445
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#962 » by eminence » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:17 am

Statlanta wrote:I'm watching old Dallas videos to get ahold of Dirk's prime and I'm not impressed by Jason Kidd.

He looks like normal player more than a HOF PG.


Well, to be fair, he was 35 his first full season with Dirk, lots of guys look a lot worse by then.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 62,527
And1: 56,351
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#963 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:08 am

Statlanta wrote:I'm watching old Dallas videos to get ahold of Dirk's prime and I'm not impressed by Jason Kidd.


Try watching again then. He was old, but the things that make him a HoFer are still quite evident in just how mentally far ahead he is of everyone else on the court--and at both ends. Just an absolute basketball genius. And not something you get from watching highlights. You need to watch entire games and more than one.

It literally cannot be missed.
bondom34 wrote:This is stupid and you know this is stupid.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
Posts: 50,105
And1: 12,243
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
       

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#964 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:26 am

Statlanta wrote:I'm watching old Dallas videos to get ahold of Dirk's prime and I'm not impressed by Jason Kidd.

He looks like normal player more than a HOF PG.


Kidd Mavs version is like Marc Gasol Raptors version or something, still championship level players a level down from their peak years.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
Posts: 18,406
And1: 14,394
Joined: Mar 08, 2012
     

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#965 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:29 am

Kidd was quite a bit better than Raptors Gasol.

Jason Kidd was still good enough to make an all-star team(his PPG was too low and he was already declared a past prime roleplayer), and probably should have.

He is basically Marcus Smart with much better passing, and Smart is not a bad passer. That's an all-star player to me.
User avatar
GSP
RealGM
Posts: 12,699
And1: 7,196
Joined: Dec 12, 2011
     

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#966 » by GSP » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:17 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:Kidd was quite a bit better than Raptors Gasol.

Jason Kidd was still good enough to make an all-star team(his PPG was too low and he was already declared a past prime roleplayer), and probably should have.

He is basically Marcus Smart with much better passing, and Smart is not a bad passer. That's an all-star player to me.


11 Kidd was not an allstar dont be ridiculous :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr Positivity is on the money he was a Raptors Marc level player at best and Marc was prolly better too
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
Posts: 18,406
And1: 14,394
Joined: Mar 08, 2012
     

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#967 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:41 am

Considering you're the hot take king I am not surprised you would think it is laughable so that makes me feel more confident on my take - and even if Kidd wasn't an all-star (he was, and he was better than many all-stars of the past decade) he was still easily better than Marc Gasol on the Raptors.

Both him and Tyson Chandler would or should have been all-stars if there wasn't such an over emphasis on PPG and they were in the East.


Actually, just the fact that you think Jason Kidd was only on the Mavericks in 2011 kind of speaks volumes to how attentive (or lack of) and warped up in media narratives you often get. The Mavericks weren't a major story any other year, and you automatically seem to think that Dallas Kidd = 2011 Kidd, what a coincidence.
User avatar
GSP
RealGM
Posts: 12,699
And1: 7,196
Joined: Dec 12, 2011
     

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#968 » by GSP » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:53 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:Considering you're the hot take king I am not surprised you would think it is laughable so that makes me feel more confident on my take - and even if Kidd wasn't an all-star (he was, and he was better than many all-stars of the past decade) he was still easily better than Marc Gasol on the Raptors.

Both him and Tyson Chandler would or should have been all-stars if there wasn't such an over emphasis on PPG and they were in the East.


Actually, just the fact that you think Jason Kidd was only on the Mavericks in 2011 kind of speaks volumes to how attentive (or lack of) and warped up in media narratives you often get.


He wasnt easily better than Marc at all. Marc was a much better defender and crucial in them shutting down Vucevic, Embiid and Giannis in the playoffs. He was their anchor and best defender in the players of an alltime defense. He wasnt near Kidds passing but he was still one of the best passing bigs in the game.

Marc in Memphis pre Toronto trade averages 16/9/5/1/1 on .54ts. He was actually playing like an allstar that season unlike Kidd and had a reduced scoring role in Toronto.

As for Tyson Chandler even not counting Yao getting voted in as a joke Timmy was a far better player at center and so was Nene who had a much better case of being an allstar than Tyson among West centers. Then theres Bynum and Marc as well.

For overall west players - Dirk, Kobe, Kd, Cp3, Russ, Manu, Nash, Melo, Timmy, Pau, Nene, Marc, Blake, Odom, Love, Deron, Tony, Bynum, Aldridge, Zbo. Thats 20 players at least that were better than Kidd that season. He wasnt even clearly better than Conley or its prolly a push

And umm I was speaking specifically on 2011 Kidd... Thought thatd be obvious. If you think he was anywhere close to an allstar that season you can travel back to 11 to revise even more history
Dr Positivity
RealGM
Posts: 50,105
And1: 12,243
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
       

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#969 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:01 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Kidd was quite a bit better than Raptors Gasol.

Jason Kidd was still good enough to make an all-star team(his PPG was too low and he was already declared a past prime roleplayer), and probably should have.

He is basically Marcus Smart with much better passing, and Smart is not a bad passer. That's an all-star player to me.


I think you are underestimating 2019 Gasol here more than anything... like Kidd a very good combo of defense, shooting in the playoffs, passing. 3rd in RPM for centers ftr.

Return to Player Comparisons