Analyst
And1: 2,937

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#981 » by Odinn21 » Sat May 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Goudelock wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:...
who are around their mid-30s

I feel personally categorized. :lol: :lol:

I think what you bring up is an attitude that all generations have in their casuals btw. It looked like a causality behaviour to me.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#982 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun May 16, 2021 2:43 am

Goudelock wrote:

Hey Doc MJ, you're a teacher aren't you? I've started to notice that "90s kids" or millenials who are around their mid-30s seem to be a demographic who is very resistant to change when it comes to sports. The Marv Albert retirement threads have plenty of posters who want Marv to stay around as long as he wants.

And I've noticed on other social media platforms (and other real life conversations) that people of this age love to talk about how athletes from that generation (late-90s to late-00s) were incredible and should be given chances to stay in the league (AKA Jamal Crawford's fanbase). So to me, it seems as if this generation is almost obsessive in their quest to preserve and sometimes justify their childhood.

Of course, I've also seen Tiktoks made by 17 year-olds who are already romanticizing the 2017 NBA season and Adrian Peterson's 2015 Vikings campaign as the "good old days." So maybe it's just human nature to do this? IDK so I figured I'd ask you about this phenomenon where people wish to live in the past.

PS: I'm trying to make this as unpolitical as possible, as per the rules of this thread.
This is every generation.
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#983 » by kayess » Sun May 16, 2021 2:55 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Goudelock wrote:

Hey Doc MJ, you're a teacher aren't you? I've started to notice that "90s kids" or millenials who are around their mid-30s seem to be a demographic who is very resistant to change when it comes to sports. The Marv Albert retirement threads have plenty of posters who want Marv to stay around as long as he wants.

And I've noticed on other social media platforms (and other real life conversations) that people of this age love to talk about how athletes from that generation (late-90s to late-00s) were incredible and should be given chances to stay in the league (AKA Jamal Crawford's fanbase). So to me, it seems as if this generation is almost obsessive in their quest to preserve and sometimes justify their childhood.

Of course, I've also seen Tiktoks made by 17 year-olds who are already romanticizing the 2017 NBA season and Adrian Peterson's 2015 Vikings campaign as the "good old days." So maybe it's just human nature to do this? IDK so I figured I'd ask you about this phenomenon where people wish to live in the past.

PS: I'm trying to make this as unpolitical as possible, as per the rules of this thread.
This is every generation.

Millenials... resistant to change... Something is not adding up here. I think all generations are somewhat nostalgic about their "good old days", but resistant to change?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,354

Post#984 » by Doctor MJ » Sun May 16, 2021 3:03 am

Goudelock wrote:

Hey Goudelock,

Appreciate you wanting my take, and yes, I am a teacher. I've been teaching high schoolers for a decade now.

I think this is human nature + 21st century media thing. It's always been a part of humanity, waxing and waning in power along the way, but the use of mass media and the internet most of all seems to be encouraging a particularly problematic process where when people commit to an opinion, they form an identity around it.

Again, people were always doing this on certain things, but now it's like everyone has to have an opinion on everything that defines them, and hence being wrong is like a little death they cannot bear.

All this to say: You're perceiving something getting more egregious and I am too, but I don't think it's happening to any one generation. I think it's happening to us all, and we have to figure out a way to detach.

The most dangerous threat in the world right now perhaps: The things we know that are not so.

I'll end with this thought: One of the reasons I like being a teacher is that my students are far more likely to listen to me than people on the internet. Not every teacher gets this feeling, and I know the students at my school have made teachers miserable, but I'm generally able to convince people in front of me that I have something they should want to learn. People on the internet are much more likely, in my experience, to see admitting they no less than one anonymous guy on the internet as the same thing as admitting that the entire internet knows better than them. They don't see me as they would if we were in the same room, and this makes them less open to new experience.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,584

Post#985 » by penbeast0 » Sun May 16, 2021 12:01 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Hey, i think 70sFan's "All-NBA" project should be added to the sticky projects thread

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1998780&start=20

Done
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,485

Post#986 » by Dr Positivity » Sun May 16, 2021 4:53 pm

Goudelock wrote:

As mentioned I think the whole "Players I grew up with were better!" thing has been around since sports has existed, along with its mirror version "Players from the older generation would get crushed if they played today!"

I think millennials are in interesting position where they grew up old enough to remember pre social media era, but then saw it change while they were still relatively young. As a result it may make them more nostalgic. Personally I have a lot of issues with the millennial generation but nostalgia is probably one of the healthier things about them.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,485

Post#987 » by Dr Positivity » Sun May 16, 2021 5:25 pm

2021 HOF class

Pierce
Bosh
Webber
Ben Wallace
Kukoc
Dandridge

Nice to see respect for Dandridge. Not sure about Webber pick but he did have a solid peak.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#988 » by MisterHibachi » Wed May 19, 2021 2:43 am

Read on Twitter

So, not super aware of what's going on with the Pentagon, but it appears they're basically saying there are real UFOs out there and they appear to have super advanced technology? I know it's never aliens (until it is), but even if it's terrestrial, sounds like another country having technology far outstripping the United States should make more headlines?
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#989 » by eminence » Wed May 19, 2021 2:54 am

That guy sounds pretty far down the rabbit hole, but at least a couple of the things on his list sound like a glider the US was testing (openly) about a decade back.
I bought a boat.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#990 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed May 19, 2021 4:33 pm

What are some good sports betting sites these days?
Odinn21
Analyst

Post#991 » by Odinn21 » Thu May 27, 2021 1:49 am

"Listen you're either a serious goat candidate, or Tim Duncan had a better career than you"
That was gold. :lol:

Shame that you have to take KG over Timmy. :D (I should throw some shades at that one, otherwise it'd bother me in my dreams. :lol: )
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,864

Post#992 » by Goudelock » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:35 pm

Read on Twitter

I'm not sure there's another player who is able to be as dominant in a team sport like a great pitcher is in softball. When a pitcher is in the zone, you're not even putting the ball in play.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,965

Post#993 » by falcolombardi » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:46 pm

Goudelock wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm not sure there's another player who is able to be as dominant in a team sport like a great pitcher is in softball. When a pitcher is in the zone, you're not even putting the ball in play.

hockey goalies?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,354

Post#994 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:40 pm

Odinn21 wrote:

"Listen you're either a serious goat candidate, or Tim Duncan had a better career than you"
That was gold. :lol:

Shame that you have to take KG over Timmy. :D (I should throw some shades at that one, otherwise it'd bother me in my dreams. :lol: )

I saw this before at an inopportune time and then forgot where I saw it. :lol:

I appreciate the kind words. It was fun to be able to talk about the PC board community somewhere other than on the PC board.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,864

Post#995 » by Goudelock » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:29 am

RealGM has doctors, lawyers, financial experts, and philosophers (many the same person!), so I gotta ask: do do we have any musicians in here?

I've recently gotten into guitar (recently being like 2 months ago) and I was wondering if anybody else here likes to play? I waited till after the worst of the pandemic to pick up an instrument so I feel like I may have missed the trendy boat, but I've had a blast. Found an old and free PDF of an instruction book and have been going through it after work.

Ragtime and Piedmont style blues and jazzy stuff just fascinates me. Like, they can play bass and melody at the same time, and some can even mimic percussion and it's like they're a whole band even though it's just a guy on a guitar.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Odinn21
Analyst

Post#996 » by Odinn21 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:15 pm

Colbinii wrote:...

You lost interest in the project? I guess it's been 5 threads without you. Got curious.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,567

Post#997 » by Colbinii » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:58 pm

Odinn21 wrote:

You lost interest in the project? I guess it's been 5 threads without you. Got curious.

I went camping for 4 days and have had a somewhat life changing event happen in my personal life that I am dealing with at the moment.

I abandoned this project and a game over on the Trades and Transactions board but I may have some mental capacity to write out a few rankings in the coming week, though I admit the Toronto Raptors isn't the most compelling re-entry point 8-)
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Odinn21
Analyst

Post#998 » by Odinn21 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:03 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Odinn21 wrote:

I went camping for 4 days and have had a somewhat life changing event happen in my personal life that I am dealing with at the moment.

Hopefully a positive change. :D

Colbinii wrote:I abandoned this project and a game over on the Trades and Transactions board but I may have some mental capacity to write out a few rankings in the coming week, though I admit the Toronto Raptors isn't the most compelling re-entry point 8-)

The one after the Raptors is the Rockets. That should be a good one to return. :)
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,567

Post#999 » by Colbinii » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:06 pm

Odinn21 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Odinn21 wrote:You lost interest in the project? I guess it's been 5 threads without you. Got curious.

Hopefully a positive change. :D

Colbinii wrote:I abandoned this project and a game over on the Trades and Transactions board but I may have some mental capacity to write out a few rankings in the coming week, though I admit the Toronto Raptors isn't the most compelling re-entry point 8-)

The one after the Raptors is the Rockets. That should be a good one to return. :)

I may have to blast off with that one.

Yes--a positive change indeed.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,846

Post#1000 » by Dutchball97 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:33 pm

Goudelock wrote:RealGM has doctors, lawyers, financial experts, and philosophers (many the same person!), so I gotta ask: do do we have any musicians in here?

I've recently gotten into guitar (recently being like 2 months ago) and I was wondering if anybody else here likes to play? I waited till after the worst of the pandemic to pick up an instrument so I feel like I may have missed the trendy boat, but I've had a blast. Found an old and free PDF of an instruction book and have been going through it after work.

Ragtime and Piedmont style blues and jazzy stuff just fascinates me. Like, they can play bass and melody at the same time, and some can even mimic percussion and it's like they're a whole band even though it's just a guy on a guitar.

I played bass for quite a few years and I've got to say music is one of the most fulfilling hobbies you can take up. When the pandemic is over I suggest to find some people to play with. Could be with a dedicated group of people or just show up at a jam session. I opted to go to university instead of pursuing a career in music but I did play together with multiple people who became career musicians and it was a blast.

Return to Player Comparisons