Add 2006 Dirk to Jazz

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Matt15
Assistant Coach
And1: 499

Add 2006 Dirk to Jazz 

Post#1 » by Matt15 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:42 am

Where would they rank overall and how far do you see them going?
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,426

Re: Add 2006 Dirk to Jazz 

Post#2 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:57 am

They'd be scary.

I think I'd have them as title favorites.

Dirk-Gobert front-court is ridiculous.

You relieve some pressure off Mitchell.

Dirk can shine with relatively good spacing and his great offensive game.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#3 » by Dr Spaceman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:01 pm

Does Bojan move to the bench or does Dirk simply replace him?

I think this makes Utah slight favorites in the West. Their playoff offense has been atrocious in the Gobert/Mitchell era but adding one of the best offensive players and playoff performers of all time goes a long way to fixing that.

Id feel a lot better if Conley were Memphis Conley. As it stands with 06 Dirk I’d have them as very strong contenders. If Conley rounds back into form they become clear favorites.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,678

Post#4 » by limbo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:40 pm

Gobert
Dirk
Bojan
Mitchell
Conley

with Ingles, O'Neale, Clarkson, Mudiay off the bench?

Yeah, i think they' be the favorites. Gobert is literally the ideal person to put behind Dirk defensively. Tyson Chandler on steroids edition. Offensively, Dirk would make the Jazz A LOT better. The Jazz are already the 8th best offense in the league despite all their struggles this year and Conley playing like crap. Dirk would make everyone around him play better with his elite spacing and ability to take the ball and put 25-30 points on teams on a nightly basis. With the amount of defensive attention he'd command, i have no doubt both Mitchell and Conley would have a far easier job making plays themselves.
TheBonzaiEffect
Starter
And1: 2,445

Post#5 » by TheBonzaiEffect » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:56 pm

Man, you surround MVP, athletic Dirk with shooters (Bojan, Ingles, Conley, Mitchell), and an elite rim protector/rim runner in Gobert? Easy favorites. Keep in mind, Dirk's best post-Nash offensive teammate was either J-Ho or Terry. Mitchell and Bojan are both better offensively than those two. 2006 dragged a starting 5 of Dampier, J-Ho, Griffin, and Terry to the Finals. Replace those guys with Gobert, Bojan/Ingles, Mitchell, and Conley? It's literally an upgrade (huge in the case of C and SG) at every position...
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,593

Post#6 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:00 pm

Just wondering how this team would be balanced on defense, in today's game, because modern offenses would force Dirk to the perimeter on like 100% of possessions. Dirk was better than credit for, but this might be a problem if the opponents go small with guys like LeBron or George at the 4.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
ccameron
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,380

Post#7 » by ccameron » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:20 am

My pick for the title. Already a good team and you are adding a top 3 player. Gobert is a perfect fit with Dirk, and Mitchell would really benefit from Dirk as well.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#8 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:31 am

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:Just wondering how this team would be balanced on defense, in today's game, because modern offenses would force Dirk to the perimeter on like 100% of possessions. Dirk was better than credit for, but this might be a problem if the opponents go small with guys like LeBron or George at the 4.

This is true.
Dirk was also still suseptible to being guarded by smaller players at this point, because he had yet to refine his post game.

But now he can throw entry passes to GOBERT instead of Eric Dampier.

I'd put Utah as the title favorite (because I'm a Dirk Homer).

LAC would still be my #1
Utah would be my #2
Milwaukee would be #3

Gobert>>Harrell
Dirk<Leonard
Mitchell>Williams
Bojan<<George
Snyder<River
O'Neal/Ingles/Conley/Davis<Beverly/Harkless/Zuback/Green

70/30 LAC imo
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
TheBonzaiEffect
Starter
And1: 2,445

Post#9 » by TheBonzaiEffect » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:46 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:Just wondering how this team would be balanced on defense, in today's game, because modern offenses would force Dirk to the perimeter on like 100% of possessions. Dirk was better than credit for, but this might be a problem if the opponents go small with guys like LeBron or George at the 4.

This is true.
Dirk was also still suseptible to being guarded by smaller players at this point, because he had yet to refine his post game.

LAC would still be my #1
Utah would be my #2
Milwaukee would be #3

Gobert>>Harrell
Dirk<Leonard
Mitchell>Williams
Bojan<<George
Snyder<River

70/30 LAC imo

Uhh...what. How is Leonard better than 2006 Dirk? 2006 Dirk led the NBA in PER, Win Shares, and WS/48...

Also, not sure Rivers is a better coach than Snyder. Nor is that bench better.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,178

Post#10 » by dygaction » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:11 pm

TheBonzaiEffect wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:

This is true.

LAC would still be my #1
Utah would be my #2
Milwaukee would be #3

Gobert>>Harrell
Dirk<Leonard
Mitchell>Williams
Bojan<<George
Snyder<River

70/30 LAC imo

Uhh...what. How is Leonard better than 2006 Dirk? 2006 Dirk led the NBA in PER, Win Shares, and WS/48...

Jazz with 2006 Dirk should be a ~70 win team with the best offense AND one of the best defense. I do not see they lose to anyone in a 7 game series.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,831

Post#11 » by Colbinii » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:21 pm

dygaction wrote:
TheBonzaiEffect wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
This is true.

LAC would still be my #1
Utah would be my #2
Milwaukee would be #3

Gobert>>Harrell
Dirk<Leonard
Mitchell>Williams
Bojan<<George
Snyder<River

70/30 LAC imo

Jazz with 2006 Dirk should be a ~70 win team with the best offense AND one of the best defense. I do not see they lose to anyone in a 7 game series.

70 win team?

The Jazz are currently on pace for 57 wins. I highly doubt they could win 70 gamss.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#12 » by dygaction » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:39 pm

Colbinii wrote:
dygaction wrote:
TheBonzaiEffect wrote:

70 win team?

The Jazz are currently on pace for 57 wins. I highly doubt they could win 70 gamss.

Not starting from today. It would be by far the deepest and most talented team for Dirk, and he led 06-07 team to 67 wins, with Josh Howard and Jason Terry as the 2nd and 3rd.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#13 » by Colbinii » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:54 pm

dygaction wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
dygaction wrote:

70 win team?

Not starting from today. It would be by far the deepest and most talented team for Dirk, and he led 06-07 team to 67 wins, with Josh Howard and Jason Terry as the 2nd and 3rd.

Jason Terry is [much] better than any other player on the Jazz Offensively, Howard seems pretty comparable to Ingles but I think O'Neal and Bogie are better than Daniels and Stackhouse. Gobert is much better than Dampier.

I'm not sure why you are looking at 2007. 2007 Dirk had an edge to him all regular season following his disappointing finals result in 2006. Assuming Dirk plays with that edge with Utah makes no sense.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#14 » by dygaction » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:09 am

Colbinii wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
70 win team?

Jason Terry is [much] better than any other player on the Jazz, Howard seems pretty comparable to Ingles but I think O'Neal and Bogie are better than Daniels and Stackhouse. Gobert is much better than Dampier.

I'm not sure why you are looking at 2007. 2007 Dirk had an edge to him all regular season following his disappointing finals result in 2006. Assuming Dirk plays with that edge with Utah makes no sense.

You do not think saying "Jason Terry is [much] better than any other player on the Jazz" an over stretch? I will take Donovan Mitchell at ANY time.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#15 » by Colbinii » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:11 am

dygaction wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
dygaction wrote:

Jason Terry is [much] better than any other player on the Jazz, Howard seems pretty comparable to Ingles but I think O'Neal and Bogie are better than Daniels and Stackhouse. Gobert is much better than Dampier.

You do not think saying "Jason Terry is [much] better than any other player on the Jazz" an over stretch? I will take Donovan Mitchell at ANY time.

Offensively. I thought that was in there. I think Gobert is better than Terry.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#16 » by dygaction » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:14 am

Colbinii wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

We are adding a MVP level player to the current 2nd seed in the west. That 60 win Dallas team would be a lottery team without Dirk.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#17 » by Colbinii » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:20 am

dygaction wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
dygaction wrote:

We are adding a MVP level player to the current 2nd seed in the west. That 60 win Dallas team would be a lottery team without Dirk.

Nah, you are underrating those players and giving Dirk too much credit. The team was a net +0.2 without Dirk.

You are right they "could be" a lottery team but they are still a high-30s, low-40s win team without Dirk [44 wins was the 8 seed].

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#18 » by dygaction » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:33 am

Colbinii wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Nah, you are underrating those players and giving Dirk too much credit. The team was a net +0.2 without Dirk.

You are right they "could be" a lottery team but they are still a high-30s, low-40s win team without Dirk [44 wins was the 8 seed].

They were a +0.2 team without Dirk, facing other subs. Who is going to fill out that glory 27ppg hole with great efficiency for the rest of the team as the starter when facing the other teams' starters?
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#19 » by Colbinii » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:39 am

dygaction wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
dygaction wrote:

They were a +0.2 team without Dirk, facing other subs. Who is going to fill out that glory 27ppg hole with great efficiency for the rest of the team as the starter when facing the other teams' starters?

Well they will use the Cap Space to get someone.

Jason Terry could increase his usage a bit, as could a couple other pieces, but you are completely off-base with these meaningless claims.

The 2006 Mavericks were built perfectly around Dirk to maximize Dirk.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#20 » by dygaction » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:59 am

Colbinii wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Well they will use the Cap Space to get someone.

Jason Terry could increase his usage a bit, as could a couple other pieces, but you are completely off-base with these meaningless claims.

The 2006 Mavericks were built perfectly around Dirk to maximize Dirk.

Funny how you back and forth contradict yourself with meaningless claims and call other people off-base. Well they could use the cap space to sign LeBron to be an even better team but that was not what you were arguing.

Return to Player Comparisons