Peak Wilt vs Peak Shaq, who do you have if they went against each other?

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Peak Wilt vs Peak Shaq, who would you take if they went against each other?

Peak Shaq
49%
Peak Wilt
51%

Total votes: 115

Vampirate
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,616

Peak Wilt vs Peak Shaq, who do you have if they went against each other? 

Post#1 » by Vampirate » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:25 pm

These 2 at their peak are regarded as the most physically dominant of their time. Let's say both are at their peaks and both have the same quality of players around them. Head to head, what would you think would happen?
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Re: Peak Wilt vs Peak Shaq, who do you have if they went against each other? 

Post#2 » by JellosJigglin » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:42 pm

Wilt. He was more dominant on both ends as an olympic athlete. He hit hookshots from 3 distance :lol: The guy was ridiculous. Wilt was before my time but I've watched some of his games. I remember counting how many blocks he had in a game before blocks were recorded. I think got up to 12 before I stopped counting. And then there's health. Wilt rarely got injured and averaged 45.8mpg for his career, played all 82 games in the last 3 seasons of his career at 34, 35 and 36 years old. He'll give you a longer peak than Shaq. With the young audience of RealGM I expect Shaq to dominate this poll due to recency bias.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#3 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:33 pm

I'd say Wilt also. He was just naturally bigger and stronger. Not as explosive but smarter at playing defense imo and had some range he could use in the post. I don't see Shaq just moving him out of the way to get off boards the way he did in his 00-02 period either. Shaq would still get points but I think Wilt would slightly outplay him in a h2h series.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#4 » by NY 567 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:35 pm

2000 Shaq was bigger and stronger, maybe not faster but quicker for sure. I'd go with him
LascelleL
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,986

Post#5 » by LascelleL » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:35 pm

Shaq.

Wilt was a mental midget. And Shaq has a petty beef with him.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,932

Post#6 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:26 am

Wilt. Him and Kareem are on another level than Shaq.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#7 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:27 am

LascelleL wrote:Shaq.

Don't agree at all. Wilt put up with more in his career than most any nba player who ever lived. Way more so compared to any player in the modern era. Also I don't think its possible to play 48mpg while averaging 50/25 while being mentally weak. You can point out his playoff shortcomings but he generally was putting up big numbers and lost some very close series in game 7's.
Vladimir777
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,121

Post#8 » by Vladimir777 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:47 am

Wilt for me. Comparable offensively (maybe a touch worse considering Shaq's postseason dominance), but I think that Wilt's far great defensive ability makes up for it. He is a more versatile overall player to me.
norcocredo
Rookie
And1: 1,431

Post#9 » by norcocredo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:27 am

Mental midgets don’t do what Wilt did.
Jazztop
Sixth Man
And1: 1,573

Post#10 » by Jazztop » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:28 am

Shaq if you have eyes
Wilt if you’re blind
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,859

Post#11 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:32 am

wilt would absolutely destroy shaq or anyone else .. he was the GOAT and its not even close ... he still owns 72 NBA records ... 50 years after the fact ... shaq would have his shot blocked every time .. not even close ... wilt was the greatest athlete in history and the greatest basketball player ever ...
Kingsway_fan
RealGM

Post#12 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:35 am

Kingsway_fan wrote:wilt would absolutely destroy shaq or anyone else .. he was the GOAT and its not even close ... he still owns 72 NBA records ... 50 years after the fact ... shaq would have his shot blocked every time .. not even close ... wilt was the greatest athlete in history and the greatest basketball player ever ...

JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,492

Post#13 » by JayMKE » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:36 am

Honestly my dad don't even barely remember Wilt playing, I don't think I'm qualified to comment. Shaq was one of the most dominant players I ever seen tho and would translate to any era.
FREE GIANNIS
Kingsway_fan
RealGM

Post#14 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:39 am

The game of basketball could be played for 1000 more years and some of wilts records would still stand. My favorite: no player in the history of the game has ever averaged 30 points and 20 rebounds for a season. Wilt averaged 30 and 22 over his ENTIRE career
Firespo
Junior
And1: 533

Post#15 » by Firespo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:47 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:I'd say Wilt also. He was just naturally bigger and stronger. Not as explosive but smarter at playing defense imo and had some range he could use in the post. I don't see Shaq just moving him out of the way to get off boards the way he did in his 00-02 period either. Shaq would still get points but I think Wilt would slightly outplay him in a h2h series.

I doubt wilt was stronger then shaq
Firespo
Junior
And1: 533

Post#16 » by Firespo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:50 am

Kingsway_fan wrote:wilt would absolutely destroy shaq or anyone else .. he was the GOAT and its not even close ... he still owns 72 NBA records ... 50 years after the fact ... shaq would have his shot blocked every time .. not even close ... wilt was the greatest athlete in history and the greatest basketball player ever ...

Stop it. wilt never went up against anyone in his career even close to the same size and skill shaq had. I'm not saying shaq would blow him out of the water but to say shaq would have his shot blocked every time is just down right not true.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#17 » by Marty McFly » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:27 am

lmao no he wouldn't have. Shaq was the most unstoppable force the league has ever seen, Wilt included. and Shaq would have had most of those records if he chucked as often as Wilt did.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#18 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:30 am

Firespo wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:I'd say Wilt also. He was just naturally bigger and stronger. Not as explosive but smarter at playing defense imo and had some range he could use in the post. I don't see Shaq just moving him out of the way to get off boards the way he did in his 00-02 period either. Shaq would still get points but I think Wilt would slightly outplay him in a h2h series.

Shaq had bulk but Wilt had strength. When he worked out with Arnold in 1980 Arnold was in awe of how strong he was. There's tons of other stories about how strong Wilt was though. He started lifting weights seriously while in college and never really stopped on top of having a freakish body.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,131

Post#19 » by druggas » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:32 am

Firespo wrote:

You would be wrong.
LascelleL
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,986

Post#20 » by LascelleL » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:25 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:

Don't agree at all. Wilt put up with more in his career than most any nba player who ever lived. Way more so compared to any player in the modern era. Also I don't think its possible to play 48mpg while averaging 50/25 while being mentally weak. You can point out his playoff shortcomings but he generally was putting up big numbers and lost some very close series in game 7's.

Letting the Media get into his head to play away from his strengths to prove a point is the very definition of mentally weak. For all he accomplished in accolades he's rather short on Championships. Bill Russell is mentally strong, especially since he beat Wilt senseless and prevented him from winning as much as his accolades would lead you to believe.

Return to Player Comparisons