Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list?

Moderators: Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal, Quotatious, Clyde Frazier, trex_8063

Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list?

1
45
26%
2
58
34%
3
38
22%
4
7
4%
5
9
5%
outside the top 5
13
8%
 
Total votes: 170

freethedevil
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,683
And1: 2,675
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#201 » by freethedevil » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:10 pm

Threetimes10 wrote:
SNPA wrote:Lol. You seem mad.

Do you expect everyone to write a full dissertation for each post? Your points are rubbish. I hold several science degrees. Stop drinking. It’s late.


All those degrees and you can't differentiate between "too" and "to"? Did you get them from Amazon? You write like Kyrie Irving

I really hate standing up for quacks, but he's using to properly here.
SNPA
Junior
Posts: 452
And1: 355
Joined: Apr 15, 2020

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#202 » by SNPA » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:35 pm

freethedevil wrote:
Threetimes10 wrote:
SNPA wrote:Lol. You seem mad.

Do you expect everyone to write a full dissertation for each post? Your points are rubbish. I hold several science degrees. Stop drinking. It’s late.


All those degrees and you can't differentiate between "too" and "to"? Did you get them from Amazon? You write like Kyrie Irving

I really hate standing up for quacks, but he's using to properly here.


Thanks bro!

I hope you can keep those pesky kids of your yard.
User avatar
SeniorWalker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,244
And1: 1,042
Joined: Jan 14, 2009
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#203 » by SeniorWalker » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:06 am

A title this year would help LeBron's case a lot. Its pretty remarkable that even outside his athletic prime, he's still able to contend for best player in the league and his team is probably the favorite to win the title. And this Laker team is not a super team. A 4th title with this team earns a lot of respect if he can pull it off. I know MJ also won finals MVP at 35 but LeBron has a lot more miles which is in someway pretty impressive.

I will say AD is getting a lot of disrespect from people in general but I do think LeBron is the engine of that team and would most likely win finals MVP if they do make it,
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
Hal14
Junior
Posts: 490
And1: 199
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#204 » by Hal14 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:19 pm

SeniorWalker wrote:A title this year would help LeBron's case a lot. Its pretty remarkable that even outside his athletic prime, he's still able to contend for best player in the league and his team is probably the favorite to win the title. And this Laker team is not a super team. A 4th title with this team earns a lot of respect if he can pull it off. I know MJ also won finals MVP at 35 but LeBron has a lot more miles which is in someway pretty impressive.

I will say AD is getting a lot of disrespect from people in general but I do think LeBron is the engine of that team and would most likely win finals MVP if they do make it,


In 2018-2019, LeBron on the Lakers with no AD = Lakers miss playoffs and LeBron quits on the team, decides to end his season early.

In 2019-2020, with Anthony Davis (and Danny Green and Dwight Howard and Avery Bradley) added to the Lakers to team up with LeBron = Lakers win the title? If that happens, not sure that really helps LeBron's legacy. If anything, it shows how good AD is. 

This team is not a super team? Which team on paper has more talent than the Lakers this year? Nobody. What other team in the league has 2 guys who are consensus top 5 or 6 players in the league? Which team in the league has more depth in terms of number of quality players capable of being a strong contributor to a winning NBA team? Nobody.
Homer38
Analyst
Posts: 3,266
And1: 2,358
Joined: Dec 04, 2013

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#205 » by Homer38 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:29 pm

Hal14 wrote:
SeniorWalker wrote:A title this year would help LeBron's case a lot. Its pretty remarkable that even outside his athletic prime, he's still able to contend for best player in the league and his team is probably the favorite to win the title. And this Laker team is not a super team. A 4th title with this team earns a lot of respect if he can pull it off. I know MJ also won finals MVP at 35 but LeBron has a lot more miles which is in someway pretty impressive.

I will say AD is getting a lot of disrespect from people in general but I do think LeBron is the engine of that team and would most likely win finals MVP if they do make it,


In 2018-2019, LeBron on the Lakers with no AD = Lakers miss playoffs and LeBron quits on the team, decides to end his season early.

In 2019-2020, with Anthony Davis (and Danny Green and Dwight Howard and Avery Bradley) added to the Lakers to team up with LeBron = Lakers win the title? If that happens, not sure that really helps LeBron's legacy. If anything, it shows how good AD is. 



It's stupid to judge LBJ on only one season since he was not in good health in the second half of the season and had missed by far a career high 27 games ... Especially he had made the final 8 years in a row before 2019, including one with a bad roster in 2018

No doubt, Davis is one of the big reasons for the success of the lakers, but Davis also missed the playoffs last year.
Hal14
Junior
Posts: 490
And1: 199
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#206 » by Hal14 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:41 pm

Homer38 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
SeniorWalker wrote:A title this year would help LeBron's case a lot. Its pretty remarkable that even outside his athletic prime, he's still able to contend for best player in the league and his team is probably the favorite to win the title. And this Laker team is not a super team. A 4th title with this team earns a lot of respect if he can pull it off. I know MJ also won finals MVP at 35 but LeBron has a lot more miles which is in someway pretty impressive.

I will say AD is getting a lot of disrespect from people in general but I do think LeBron is the engine of that team and would most likely win finals MVP if they do make it,


In 2018-2019, LeBron on the Lakers with no AD = Lakers miss playoffs and LeBron quits on the team, decides to end his season early.

In 2019-2020, with Anthony Davis (and Danny Green and Dwight Howard and Avery Bradley) added to the Lakers to team up with LeBron = Lakers win the title? If that happens, not sure that really helps LeBron's legacy. If anything, it shows how good AD is. 



It's stupid to judge LBJ on only one season since he was not in good health in the second half of the season and had missed by far a career high 27 games ... Especially he had made the final 8 years in a row before 2019, including one with a bad roster in 2018

No doubt, Davis is one of the big reasons for the success of the lakers, but Davis also missed the playoffs last year.


Was it a matter if being injured or a lack of effort?



It says in this article, "But the most disappointing part of the Lakers’ season is James quitting on his team to prepare for a film he is starring in this summer."

https://commonwealthtimes.org/2019/04/10/press-box-lebron-gave-up-on-the-lakers/

https://fastbreakdaily.com/2019/02/26/lebron-quit-on-la/
Homer38
Analyst
Posts: 3,266
And1: 2,358
Joined: Dec 04, 2013

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#207 » by Homer38 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:44 pm

Nothing to do with the 2020 season.
freethedevil
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,683
And1: 2,675
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#208 » by freethedevil » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:28 am

Hal14 wrote:
SeniorWalker wrote:A title this year would help LeBron's case a lot. Its pretty remarkable that even outside his athletic prime, he's still able to contend for best player in the league and his team is probably the favorite to win the title. And this Laker team is not a super team. A 4th title with this team earns a lot of respect if he can pull it off. I know MJ also won finals MVP at 35 but LeBron has a lot more miles which is in someway pretty impressive.

I will say AD is getting a lot of disrespect from people in general but I do think LeBron is the engine of that team and would most likely win finals MVP if they do make it,


In 2018-2019, LeBron on the Lakers with no AD = Lakers miss playoffs and LeBron quits on the team, decides to end his season early.

The lakers were a top 4 seed playing at a 50 win pace before their best, second best, and 4th best players got injured. :-?
JN61
Veteran
Posts: 2,816
And1: 2,116
Joined: Jan 07, 2018
 

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#209 » by JN61 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:01 am

3rd or 4th reasonably is the highest. He doesn't have accomplishments to be higher.
thebigbird
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,381
And1: 11,169
Joined: Jul 11, 2018
 

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#210 » by thebigbird » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:01 pm

JN61 wrote:3rd or 4th reasonably is the highest. He doesn't have accomplishments to be higher.

4 MVPs
3 FMVPs
16x all-NBA (counting this year)
#3 scoring all-time
#8 assists all-time
#1 playoff points all-time
#1 playoff steals all-time
#3 playoff assists all-time
#6 playoff rebounds all-time

His accomplishments speak for themselves.
Statlanta
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,400
And1: 3,741
Joined: Mar 06, 2016

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#211 » by Statlanta » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:59 pm

I have him 5 or 6

I definitively have Jordan, Russell, Alcindor/Abdul-Jabbar, and Duncan over him, and maybe O'Neal.
Dwyane Wade should have never got FTs at the end of the 2006 NBA Finals Game 5
User avatar
eminence
Head Coach
Posts: 7,497
And1: 4,367
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#212 » by eminence » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:47 pm

I currently have him #1, though I'll still debate 1-3 with Duncan/Russell (Russell usually winds up #4 on my list, but he undeniably has an argument for #1).
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17 (For now?)
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
Posts: 16,555
And1: 11,988
Joined: Mar 08, 2012
     

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#213 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:18 pm

Social Science is very much driven by data and analysis. Statistics is what drives modern social science, so the whole social science is all subjective seems like a poor understanding of what a social science is. Even undergraduates in somewhat poor social science programs have to take statistics courses.


As for the question at hand, I have LBJ #2 all time behind Bill Russell. Jordan is 3 if someone is wondering.
freethedevil
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,683
And1: 2,675
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#214 » by freethedevil » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:58 pm

eminence wrote:I currently have him #1, though I'll still debate 1-3 with Duncan/Russell (Russell usually winds up #4 on my list, but he undeniably has an argument for #1).

How does Duncan not get closed off from an argument for #1 by Russell?
freethedevil
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,683
And1: 2,675
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#215 » by freethedevil » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:09 pm

thebigbird wrote:
JN61 wrote:3rd or 4th reasonably is the highest. He doesn't have accomplishments to be higher.

4 MVPs
3 FMVPs
16x all-NBA (counting this year)
#3 scoring all-time
#8 assists all-time
#1 playoff points all-time
#1 playoff steals all-time
#3 playoff assists all-time
#6 playoff rebounds all-time

His accomplishments speak for themselves.

Also, since the most popular choice(and i'm willing to bet he's one of the people JN61 thinks lebron can't reasonably be above) here really only has a goat case based on peak, lets see how their most decorated 5 year stretches compare in terms of accomplishments.

2009- 2013 Lebron:
4 MVP's, 2 fmvp's, 5 all-nba first teams

1988-1992 Jordan:
3 mvp's, 2 fmvp's, 5 all-nba's

It was also Lebron who came closest to a unanimous mvp in 13.

It seems that people who argue against Lebron for goat can't be consistent. They set arbitrary time frames(as opposed to just comparing the totality of their career), and then switch their criteria when their preferred candidates are pitting against other ones.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,676
And1: 1,344
Joined: Aug 25, 2005
Location: Northern California

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#216 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:30 pm

First, I am a peaks guy, not a longevity guy.

Scenario 1
Jordan 1 LeBron 2 (Magic and Bird are ahead of Kobe for 3 and 4 but the centers are in also ahead of Kobe and challenging Magic and Bird)
Eye test says Jordan, My theory about guys like Jordan and Wilkins having better stats if they played current rules (touch fouls, Traveling allowed) and with modern spacing due to massive league improvement in 3 point shooting tends to diminsh LeBron's impressive statistics. I don't think LeBron is a great point guard when his ball dominance is factored in.

Scenario 2
The centers are being underrated.
Jordan may not be the GOAT. Jordan is still ahead of LeBron but Kareem, Hakeem, Chamberlain, Shaq and even David Roninson deserve consideration as being ahead of Jordan on tge GOAT list.

Scenario 3
Domination of their own era
Chamberlain wins this. Russell, Mikan and Oscar also do well

Scenario 4
Winners
I don't like this scenaro much
Russell wins this. jordan and Magic do well. Bird and Curry also gain from this.

Scenario 5
LeBron Stans have replaced Kobe Stabs as the most irritating Stans group therefore LeBron should be lowered two spots on the GOAT list just to punish his Stans

Weighting for averaging, Sccenario 1 5x Scenario 2 4x, Scenario 3 3x, Scenario 4 2x and Scenario 5 1x
LeBron comes out 4th
Jordan is 1, i guess Chamberlain gets 2 and Kareem gets 3

Tim Duncan is not in my top 8 and may not be in my top 15 butvprobably is innmyntop 15. Bernard King is making my top 20 list for his short glorious peak.
User avatar
eminence
Head Coach
Posts: 7,497
And1: 4,367
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#217 » by eminence » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:44 pm

freethedevil wrote:
eminence wrote:I currently have him #1, though I'll still debate 1-3 with Duncan/Russell (Russell usually winds up #4 on my list, but he undeniably has an argument for #1).

How does Duncan not get closed off from an argument for #1 by Russell?


Offensive ability, surrounding Celtic talent levels.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17 (For now?)
User avatar
GeorgeMarcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 14,924
And1: 18,170
Joined: Jun 17, 2006
   

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#218 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:45 pm

KobesScarf wrote:1.Wilt
2.MJ
3.Lebron


Yep, same. LeBron can conceivably pass MJ with a strong finish to his career.
"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

The Legend of George Marcus
Matt15
Analyst
Posts: 3,456
And1: 124
Joined: Aug 27, 2008

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#219 » by Matt15 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:47 pm

I rate Lebron just a hair below Marcus and Lew
User avatar
GeorgeMarcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 14,924
And1: 18,170
Joined: Jun 17, 2006
   

Re: Where do you rank Lebron right now in the GOAT list? 

Post#220 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:53 pm

Matt15 wrote:I rate Lebron just a hair below Marcus and Lew


George Marcus and Lew Alcindor?
"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

The Legend of George Marcus

Return to Player Comparisons