Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Re: Isiah Thomas vs Chris Paul 

Post#341 » by Hal14 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:33 am

Bidofo wrote:
Bidofo wrote:
Spoiler:
LA Bird wrote:This should be obvious but people often confuse cause and effect when it comes to winning. You aren't better because you win. You win because you are a better player (assuming equal level of supporting cast, opponents and luck). Bill Russell didn't win 11 rings because he was born a winner. Russell won a lot because he was by far the greatest defender ever. Jordan didn't go 6/6 because he was competitively obsessed with winning and refused to lose. His team success came because he was the GOAT scorer and was elite in other areas of the game too. Calling a player better because he is a "winner" is just a lazy way to count rings without actually evaluating what makes that player great.

Isiah has 2 rings but what it is about him that actually made the Pistons win? Was it because Isiah was a top scorer, rebounder, playmaker, shooter or defender? There is a lot of talk about Isiah being a "winner" but none of his supporters ever go into discussing his actual level of play during the title winning years. Why? Because a closer look will show he was not as good a player as a few other all time great PGs who didn't win as much as he did. Isiah fans will argue he was sacrificing his individual play for his team's success but exactly how did his sacrifice help the Pistons? Did Isiah sacrifice offensive volume to elevate his team's offense? No, because his efficiency didn't improve on lower volume as one would usually expect and the Pistons' offense was worse during the title years than before. Did Isiah sacrifice offense for more defense then? Maybe, but he was never a top defensive guard and the addition of Rodman, Dumars, Mahorn and John Salley probably had more to do with the Pistons' defensive improvement in the late 80s. Isiah making sacrifices for his team makes for a better storyline but the reality is that Pistons rose to championship level because the improvements in Isiah's supporting cast more than offset his decline from his peak in the mid-80s. Isiah's argument begins and ends with his rings because he doesn't really have much of an argument otherwise to be a top 5 point guard of all time (unless anybody wants to go ahead and make a case for his peak being that high because he sure doesn't have the longevity for it).

And since it is a popular narrative to hype up Isiah as a legendary small guard who beat Magic/Bird/Jordan in David v Goliath fashion, let's look at who the Pistons actually beat to win their two titles:

• 89 Celtics without Bird (injured) and Ainge (traded). DJ missed the end of the season due to ankle injury and limped his way to 2.7 ppg in the series because the Celtics had zero guard depth.
• 89 Bucks without two of their best players in Cummings and Pressey. They went 6-9 in the regular season without Pressey.
• 89 Bulls. 47 wins, +2.1 SRS. They have MJ but the Bulls as a team (16 games behind) were not a contender yet.
• 89 Lakers without Byron Scott and Magic for half the series. By G4, LA was starting 42 year old Kareem, AC Green, Worthy, Cooper and Tony Campbell. Minus Worthy, that starting lineup is arguably worse than Detroit's bench.

• 90 Pacers. 42 wins, -0.2 SRS. Poor defense and easy first round fodder.
• 90 Knicks. 45 wins, +0.8 SRS. Ewing one man team that went 10-20 to finish the regular season after a mid-season trade.
• 90 Bulls. Title contender and healthy. Dumars played like a superstar in the Piston's first three wins while Isiah disappeared (26ppg on 63% TS vs 8ppg on 36% TS). That's no typo - Pistons won 3 games against MJ despite Isiah scoring only 8.3 ppg on 36% TS.
• 90 Blazers. Title contender and healthy. Impressive series by Isiah destroying Terry Porter who was an All Star level point guard.

All in all, that's 3 non contenders at 47 or less wins, 3 opponents missing multiple starters (all in one playoffs), a series against the Jordan Bulls where Isiah's failures got completely overlooked because of Dumars going hot, and a series against the Blazers where Isiah played excellent in. For someone whose career legacy rests heavily on these two postseasons, it's really not that notable of a run. Luckily for Isiah though, most NBA fans don't really care about basketball history and will just repeat whatever they hear on social media, which is something like "Isiah beat Magic/Bird/Jordan in the toughest era of all time so he must be top 20 all time!!"

I can’t wait for posts like this and others that bring up very valid points and criticisms of the pro-Isiah side to be completely ignored, resulting in the same people posting the same outdated tropes about Thomas’ career the next time he’s mentioned.

You don’t need a foot in this debate to see which side is making a much more convincing argument. Typically when you get to the point of “Basketball is not all about stats”/“Actually watch the game”, you’re kind of on your last legs and lose much credibility. That’s just me though...

Nothing to see here, just quoting myself because I was very much right. :D :D

If it helps you sleep at night, go ahead and tell yourself that :roll:
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,461

Post#342 » by Jaqua92 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:37 am

lakers2020 wrote:Not a fan of Chris Paul's antics but there is a solid argument that he's the best PG of all time when considering his advanced stats.

As it pertains to judging players, I feel championships are overrated, especially in this era of super-teams.
Come on man. Come on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#343 » by bondom34 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:03 am

This thread gave me a headache.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Bidofo
Pro Prospect
And1: 940

Post#344 » by Bidofo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:35 am

Hal14 wrote:
Bidofo wrote:
Bidofo wrote:
Spoiler:
I can’t wait for posts like this and others that bring up very valid points and criticisms of the pro-Isiah side to be completely ignored, resulting in the same people posting the same outdated tropes about Thomas’ career the next time he’s mentioned.

You don’t need a foot in this debate to see which side is making a much more convincing argument. Typically when you get to the point of “Basketball is not all about stats”/“Actually watch the game”, you’re kind of on your last legs and lose much credibility. That’s just me though...

Nothing to see here, just quoting myself because I was very much right. :D :D

You say this as if I was wrong lol. Don't know why you would quote me when you can address the post I quoted
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#345 » by Hal14 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:44 pm

Bidofo wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Bidofo wrote:Nothing to see here, just quoting myself because I was very much right. :D :D

You say this as if I was wrong lol. Don't know why you would quote me when you can address the post I quoted

I already did earlier in the thread.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Post#346 » by feyki » Tue Aug 4, 2020 2:39 pm

Don't need to disrespects legends of basketball. Chris Paul has a career, which is arguably top 20. It doesn't take any of Isiah's greatness. How many players we'd have now as 20/10 with elite defence in the league?
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
slimreaper2021
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#347 » by slimreaper2021 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:51 am

Feel like CP3 has the edge here on both sides of the court
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,744

Post#348 » by VanWest82 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 9:10 pm

Game 7 with 43 seconds left and OKC needing a basket Chris Paul rose up in the paint and missed a 10 footer to take the lead. Then on the last possession that led to Harden's block on Dort, CP turned the ball over and got bailed out when SGA recovered it.

Paul is undoubtedly one of the greatest ever but this kind of ending has happened way too many times in the playoffs. You can list all the clutch stats and efficiency stats you want but in the moments when it counted CP didn't get it done. Isiah got it done.
Bidofo
Pro Prospect

Post#349 » by Bidofo » Fri Sep 4, 2020 9:15 pm

VanWest82 wrote:You can list all the clutch stats and efficiency stats you want but in the moments when it counted CP didn't get it done. Isiah got it done.

This is much easier to say when we have 0 data on Thomas' 4th quarter/clutch time stats, thereby (more often than not) relying on one's memory which is very selective in what it remembers.
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,438

Post#350 » by Lost92Bricks » Fri Sep 4, 2020 9:48 pm

VanWest82 wrote:Game 7 with 43 seconds left and OKC needing a basket Chris Paul rose up in the paint and missed a 10 footer to take the lead. Then on the last possession that led to Harden's block on Dort, CP turned the ball over and got bailed out when SGA recovered it.

Paul is undoubtedly one of the greatest ever but this kind of ending has happened way too many times in the playoffs. You can list all the clutch stats and efficiency stats you want but in the moments when it counted CP didn't get it done. Isiah got it done.

Hit a gamewinner in a game 7.
VanWest82
RealGM

Post#351 » by VanWest82 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 9:53 pm

Lost92Bricks wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:Game 7 with 43 seconds left and OKC needing a basket Chris Paul rose up in the paint and missed a 10 footer to take the lead. Then on the last possession that led to Harden's block on Dort, CP turned the ball over and got bailed out when SGA recovered it.

Hit a gamewinner in a game 7.

In the first round.
Lost92Bricks
Starter

Post#352 » by Lost92Bricks » Fri Sep 4, 2020 9:59 pm

VanWest82 wrote:In the first round.

lol you just said the past game 7 (first round) was a "moment that counted" and used it against him.

So it only counts when he loses. It is then when it matters, not when he hits the series winner.

Double standard.
VanWest82
RealGM

Post#353 » by VanWest82 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 10:07 pm

Lost92Bricks wrote:

lol you just said the past game 7 (first round) was a "moment that counted" and used it against him.

So it only counts when he loses. It is then when it matters, not when he hits the series winner.

Double standard.

It is a double standard but it applies to the greatest players. This was a winnable series and he couldn't close it out...again.
Lost92Bricks
Starter

Post#354 » by Lost92Bricks » Fri Sep 4, 2020 10:19 pm

VanWest82 wrote:It is a double standard but it applies to the greatest players. This was a winnable series and he couldn't close it out...again.

The greatest players played with other hall of famers and great players throughout their careers.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#355 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Sep 4, 2020 10:22 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
Lost92Bricks wrote:

Double standard.

It is a double standard but it applies to the greatest players. This was a winnable series and he couldn't close it out...again.

Sounds like you're punishing him for making his teams overachieve. If the Rockets had beaten the Thunder badly, then that would have been better?

I also think it's kind of hilarious, considering literally two days before that game he scored 15 points in the 4th quarter and basically a game winner on top of that. I always have to think how people intentionally shut off the objective part of their brain when making these weird analysis'. I guess because that happened in Game 6 and not Game 7 it doesn't mean as much, for some reason.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#356 » by JordansBulls » Fri Sep 4, 2020 11:37 pm

Bidofo wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:You can list all the clutch stats and efficiency stats you want but in the moments when it counted CP didn't get it done. Isiah got it done.

This is much easier to say when we have 0 data on Thomas' 4th quarter/clutch time stats, thereby (more often than not) relying on one's memory which is very selective in what it remembers.

What about 2 titles and 3 finals?
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Bidofo
Pro Prospect

Post#357 » by Bidofo » Sat Sep 5, 2020 1:12 am

JordansBulls wrote:
Bidofo wrote:

That'd be relevant if we wanted to discuss who won more.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#358 » by JordansBulls » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:02 am

Bidofo wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:
Bidofo wrote:This is much easier to say when we have 0 data on Thomas' 4th quarter/clutch time stats, thereby (more often than not) relying on one's memory which is very selective in what it remembers.

That'd be relevant if we wanted to discuss who won more.

What about who performed better? CP3 lost more series with HCA than Isiah did. Isiah only lost once with HCA and that was in 1984 in a 5 game series.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Amares
Pro Prospect
And1: 387

Post#359 » by Amares » Sat Sep 5, 2020 8:57 am

To punish Paul for this season in his comparison with Isiah, Thomas would have to achieve the same result at 35 in his 15th season and still be able to play more dominant basketball than Paul. Isiah in his 15th season was retired and long done, even in 13th he led his team to awful 20-62 and they were 2nd worst team in the league and he was terrible. The last season that Isiah got some value was 1990, so it's like Paul 7 years ago. Looks like Paul since 28 could still provide 6 great seasons to Isiah none and at 35 could have better year than anything from Isiah since 29 on. This is next great example how much better was Paul both as a player and for career, and how ridiculous are Isiah fans.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,461

Post#360 » by Jaqua92 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 6:53 pm

Paul is the most overrated player of all time. I can't help myself but to say this in every single thread that puts Paul near the top 3 of any point guard list, nevermind top 25 player list.

Forget overall players....
Imo,

Magic
Steph
Stockton
Isiah

I've got a point guards just off the top of my head

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Return to Player Comparisons