REDOING THE NBA HALL OF FAME (active players!)

Moderators: trex_8063, Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal, Quotatious, Clyde Frazier

Narigo
Starter
And1: 496

Re: REDOING THE NBA HALL OF FAME (active players!) 

Post#21 » by Narigo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:12 pm

LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Giannis Antekumoupo
Pau Gasol
Kawhi Leonard
Stephen Curry
James Harden
Chris Paul
Russell Westbrook
Dwight Howard
Narigo's Fantasy Team

PG: Damian Lillard
SG: Sidney Moncrief
SF:
PF: James Worthy
C: Tim Duncan

BE: Robert Horry
BE:
BE:
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 10,218

Post#22 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:14 pm

Hey y'all,

I made some stuff that I was hoping for y'all to take a look at, and maybe reflect on in further conversation a bit.

First, I added a bunch more sheets breaking down the players we voted for more:

RealGM PC Board 2020 Hall of Fame: Table of Sheets

Second, I wanted a way for someone to quickly visualize all of the players we inducted, so I made a pinboard with basketball cards trying to pick images that captured something essential about the player. I think it's fun, hope y'all enjoy:

RealGM Hall of Fame Wall
homecourtloss wrote:Only good thing about quarantine Is that Dr. MJ is posting again. :lol:

Tryin' to avoid the strident debates. I'd rather just help others understand.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 4,358

Post#23 » by penbeast0 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:49 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Hey y'all,

I made some stuff that I was hoping for y'all to take a look at, and maybe reflect on in further conversation a bit.

Second, I wanted a way for someone to quickly visualize all of the players we inducted, so I made a pinboard with basketball cards trying to pick images that captured something essential about the player. I think it's fun, hope y'all enjoy:

RealGM Hall of Fame Wall

Enjoyed the pinboard, but I had a question:

WTH is Shawn Marion doing on his card? I know his shot is ugly but that's sort of special snowflake level strange.
Bradley Beal@RealDealBeal23
Because we can hoop!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#24 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:19 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:Hey y'all,

RealGM Hall of Fame Wall

Enjoyed the pinboard, but I had a question:

WTH is Shawn Marion doing on his card? I know his shot is ugly but that's sort of special snowflake level strange.

I don't know. It caught my eye though - also liked the other image getting Marion on a hustle play.
homecourtloss wrote:Only good thing about quarantine Is that Dr. MJ is posting again. :lol:

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#25 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:04 pm

Alright some thoughts:

- We see a clear trend toward longer careers. Retirement age of the greats has grown by about a half decade since the first class.

- We also see a continued trend of more than 20 HOFers per birth decade which I think can only continue to the extent that retirement age keeps increasing, which of course, has to stop some time. We may already be there.

- No glaring height trends over time. Certainly not a coincidence that our shortest member came in in the first class (Slate Martin), but beyond that the NBA figured out that height was valuable a long time ago and that hasn't been a strong driver toward further extremes since.

- You can really see how New York dominated the sport, and you can see California rising past it in recent eras.

- North Carolina & UCLA clearly stand out as the top producers of NBA greats.

- Worth noting that all 7 UNC players played for Dean Smith. By contrast, only 3 inductees played for John Wooden (and only 5 of his players received votes).

- After Smith, Adolph Rupp of Kentucky and John Thompson of Georgetown have the most players as inductees at 4.

- I gained a much better grasp of those early years and specifically a new appreciation for Bob Davies and the Rochester Royals.

- I particularly enjoyed doing further research within the ABA context. I have an appreciation for Louie Dampier I just didn't have before. Also, I find myself more and more impressed by Connie Hawkins. (Did you realize in '67-68 he led the ABA in scoring while leading his team in assists but NOT in shooting attempts? Unreal.)

- I definitely learned some things begrudgingly. My opinion on McGinnis had turned quite negative before this project and I think I have a more even opinion now. And maybe there's more to Gus Williams than I was seeing before...

- I also had some things crystalize in my head about players I had watched. I didn't expect going in that I'd champion Vlade Divac and Baron Davis, but they stood out more than I'd noticed before.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#26 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:08 pm

I'm going to do an unofficial survey here:

I have an idea to do a follow-on project: Projected Hall of Fame.

This would have 4 more classes from 2025 to 2040.

Players will be eligible by birth year.

To be eligible for 2025, you must be born in 1985 or earlier.
2030? 1990.
2035? 1995.
2040? 2000.

If we do this then all current NBA players will be eligible by the last class.

The aim would be for us to predict who among the eligible class we think will be most Hall worthy when all is said and done. This would be based on our own estimation, just like beast's project was, rather than trying to guess what other people will think.

If you're interested then respond here. I don't intend to do the project unless there's a decent amount of interest.

Return to Player Comparisons