If there were a playoff MVP award instead of Finals MVP in which year would the winner be different

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Blazers-1977
Veteran
And1: 643

If there were a playoff MVP award instead of Finals MVP in which year would the winner be different 

Post#1 » by Blazers-1977 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 12:47 am

Since I think the winner would get the award this is the years I think it would be different(since 1980):

1980: Kareem over Magic
1981: Bird over Maxwell
1988: Magic over Worthy
1989: Isiah over Dumars
2004: Ben Wallace over Billups
2007: Duncan over Parker
2008: Garnett over Pierce
2015: Curry over Igoudala
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Re: If there were a playoff MVP award instead of Finals MVP in which year would the winner be different 

Post#2 » by mademan » Tue Jul 7, 2020 12:58 am

01 Kobe has an argument, especially if you were to weight it more towards teams who were an actual challenge
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Re: If there were a playoff MVP award instead of Finals MVP in which year would the winner be different 

Post#3 » by OdomFan » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:29 am

Nah that's ok. Don't like this idea at all.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#5 » by RCM88x » Tue Jul 7, 2020 12:13 pm

OdomFan wrote:Nah that's ok. Don't like this idea at all.

Why?

Because it would give Lebron more awards? Yes

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,506

Post#6 » by 70sFan » Tue Jul 7, 2020 12:21 pm

Blazers-1977 wrote:Since I think the winner would get the award this is the years I think it would be different(since 1980):

Magic should have won FMVP in 1988 anwyay.
I'm not impressed by Thomas 1989 playoffs run at all and I don't think he was the best Pistons player that year.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Post#7 » by OdomFan » Tue Jul 7, 2020 3:52 pm

RCM88x wrote:

Why?

Actually I wasn't thinking of Lebron at all, but I can see now that you want this so that your hero can get as many trophies as possible with out needing to win it all. Still wouldn't make him a better player/leader than stars who won more championships than him.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#8 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jul 7, 2020 3:56 pm

Blazers-1977 wrote:Since I think the winner would get the award this is the years I think it would be different(since 1980):

While I personally would not object to Curry in 2015, I think the reality is that if voters had actually been remotely courageous they’d have picked LeBron. A Playoff MVP would have made it a little easier to be cowards and still pick their guy.

I would expect to give Curry the nod in one of the Durant years myself.

Beyond that basically agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
RCM88x
RealGM

Post#9 » by RCM88x » Tue Jul 7, 2020 4:25 pm

OdomFan wrote:
RCM88x wrote:

Why?

Actually I wasn't thinking of Lebron at all, but I can see now that you want this so that your hero can get as many trophies as possible with out needing to win it all. Still wouldn't make him a better player/leader than stars who won more championships than him.

Lol ok

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#10 » by bledredwine » Tue Jul 7, 2020 5:10 pm

Interesting idea. But I actually agree that it might be silly to reward playoff MVPs. I also think that over half the time, the playoff MVP does win finals MVP. You want the incentive to be winning games against the most elite teams. While it does encourage winning, you could beat easier teams, putting up great stats and then fail against the great teams. There would be elite players who have playoff MVP as goal and then burn out before the finals (I’m looking at you, Harden). Maybe this applies to the modern East more than prior, but even in the 90s you had the Bulls cake-walking through the Hawks.

I also think that contrary to what was said above, this would hurt Lebron in the GOAT discussion as his earlier career would be dominated by Shaq Kobe Duncan, then had the missed playoffs and Kawhi’s year whereas Jordan, Kareem and Wilt would have reign over earlier and later career.

Your original list is excellent. Does T Mac have any shot at one year?
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
RCM88x
RealGM

Post#11 » by RCM88x » Tue Jul 7, 2020 6:23 pm

bledredwine wrote:Interesting idea. But I actually agree that it might be silly to reward playoff MVPs. I also think that over half the time, the playoff MVP does win finals MVP. You want the incentive to be winning games against the most elite teams. While it does encourage winning, you could beat easier teams, putting up great stats and then fail against the great teams. There would be elite players who have playoff MVP as goal and then burn out before the finals (I’m looking at you, Harden). Maybe this applies to the modern East more than prior, but even in the 90s you had the Bulls cake-walking through the Hawks.

I also think that contrary to what was said above, this would hurt Lebron in the GOAT discussion as his earlier career would be dominated by Shaq Kobe Duncan, then had the missed playoffs and Kawhi’s year whereas Jordan, Kareem and Wilt would have reign over earlier and later career.

T-Mac never advanced past the first round how the heck would he ever win a playoff MVP award?

Bidofo
Pro Prospect
And1: 938

Post#12 » by Bidofo » Tue Jul 7, 2020 6:30 pm

RCM88x wrote:T-Mac never advanced past the first round how the heck would he ever win a playoff MVP award?

He considers T-Mac a better playoff performer than Harden despite all the evidence pointing to the contrary, he’s in his own bubble lol.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,810

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jul 7, 2020 8:42 pm

bledredwine wrote:There would be elite players who have playoff MVP as goal and then burn out before the finals (I’m looking at you, Harden).

This seems incredibly unlikely.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#14 » by LKN » Tue Jul 7, 2020 11:32 pm

The NHL has this and IIRC it usually ends up going to the best player on the champs anyways (although not always).

I'm too lazy to look it up right now so if I'm wrong hate away lol
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#15 » by ardee » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:07 am

Kobe gets it in 2001 and 2008.

LeBron gets it every year from 2012-2018.

Sent from my SM-A505F using RealGM mobile app
bledredwine
RealGM

Post#16 » by bledredwine » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:31 am

RCM88x wrote:
bledredwine wrote:Interesting idea. But I actually agree that it might be silly to reward playoff MVPs. I also think that over half the time, the playoff MVP does win finals MVP. You want the incentive to be winning games against the most elite teams. While it does encourage winning, you could beat easier teams, putting up great stats and then fail against the great teams. There would be elite players who have playoff MVP as goal and then burn out before the finals (I’m looking at you, Harden). Maybe this applies to the modern East more than prior, but even in the 90s you had the Bulls cake-walking through the Hawks.

T-Mac never advanced past the first round how the heck would he ever win a playoff MVP award?

Whoops. I thought that he got to the second round once. My bad- honest mistake.

And Yes, I consider t Mac a better playoff player than Harden (to whomever said that).
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
bledredwine
RealGM

Post#17 » by bledredwine » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:32 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
bledredwine wrote:There would be elite players who have playoff MVP as goal and then burn out before the finals (I’m looking at you, Harden).

This seems incredibly unlikely.

Harden made it a goal to get regular season MVP, went nuts, did not do well in the playoffs. Rose made it a goal and choked against the Heat. Steph had his best season, got MVP and injured before the playoffs, stinking throughout. This is just in the last nine years.
Players care about these awards.

I think it’s very likely.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#18 » by Dupp » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:10 am

19 - Kawhi
18- LeBron*
17- LeBron ( can see curry)*
16 - LeBron
15- LeBron*
14- LeBron*
13- LeBron
12- LeBron
11- Dirk
10- Kobe
09- LeBron*
08- KG*
07- Duncan *
06 - Wade ( Maybe dirk?)
05- Duncan
04 - Shaq*
03- Duncan
02- Shaq
01- Shaq
00- Shaq
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#19 » by Dupp » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:12 am

bledredwine wrote:
RCM88x wrote:

Whoops. I thought that he got to the second round once. My bad- honest mistake.

And Yes, I consider t Mac a better playoff player than Harden (to whomever said that).

He made it past the first round with the spurs but was literally on the bench the whole time ftr.

How can you consider TMac a better playoff Performer than harden when you don’t know tmacs playoff history? Is it just based on liking his game more?
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 547
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#20 » by rrravenred » Wed Jul 8, 2020 3:42 am

Just want to say that losing-team MVPs should be normalised.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?

Return to Player Comparisons