1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett

Moderators: PaulieWal, Quotatious, Clyde Frazier, trex_8063, penbeast0, Doctor MJ

1 year run?

1986 Bird/1990 Ewing
12
40%
2015 Curry/2004 Garnett
18
60%
 
Total votes: 30

Matt15
Analyst
Posts: 3,458
And1: 124
Joined: Aug 27, 2008

1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#1 » by Matt15 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:35 pm

Which duo would you rather have for a 1 year run?
Hal14
Junior
Posts: 494
And1: 199
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#2 » by Hal14 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:12 pm

Depends which era we're playing this in and which rules.

In the modern era, Ewing isn't as valuable because the decline in low-post play, defensive 3 seconds, etc.

In the 80s/early 90s era, Curry wouldn't be as valuable, because with how physical the game was he would take a beating and his numbers would drop because of how soft he is.
parsnips33
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,823
And1: 354
Joined: Sep 01, 2014
 

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#3 » by parsnips33 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:26 pm

Curry and Garnett, in any era
euroleague
Head Coach
Posts: 7,202
And1: 1,498
Joined: Mar 26, 2014
 

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#4 » by euroleague » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:28 pm

Ewing and Bird. Would be a different story with 2016 Curry, but 2015 was not far off 1990 Ewing. I’d take Bird over KG
No-more-rings
Analyst
Posts: 3,500
And1: 1,661
Joined: Oct 04, 2018

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#5 » by No-more-rings » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:20 am

Wow that’s tough lol. Bird/Ewing is better on defense, and Curry/KG better on offense. My gut says Bird/Ewing though.
User avatar
henshao
Senior
Posts: 551
And1: 196
Joined: Jul 29, 2018

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#6 » by henshao » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:20 am

Although Bird/Ewing is a very powerful start to a team, the flexibility of Curry/Garnett is too much to resist. You could legitimately play Curry at the 2 and Garnett at the 1 if for some reason it made sense to do so
User avatar
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
Posts: 10,659
And1: 2,939
Joined: Jan 06, 2005

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#7 » by prophet_of_rage » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:38 pm

henshao wrote:Although Bird/Ewing is a very powerful start to a team, the flexibility of Curry/Garnett is too much to resist. You could legitimately play Curry at the 2 and Garnett at the 1 if for some reason it made sense to do so
No you couldn't

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
User avatar
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
Posts: 10,659
And1: 2,939
Joined: Jan 06, 2005

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#8 » by prophet_of_rage » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:45 pm

I'll takecEwing/Bird here. Even in this era 1990 Ewing's defence of the pick and roll would be even more valuable and with actual space to play his basket game is better than KG and he has the range. Bird/Curry is kind of a wash. You get more threes from Curry more rebounds from Bird. Points is a wash. So I'll take bigger player. Easier to find talent at perimeter than at the big slots.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
User avatar
eminence
General Manager
Posts: 7,506
And1: 4,373
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#9 » by eminence » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:44 pm

I might take Curry/KG over any duo possible, so them I guess. Fit pretty much perfectly together and skillsets mesh with anyone.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17 (For now?)
No-more-rings
Analyst
Posts: 3,500
And1: 1,661
Joined: Oct 04, 2018

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#10 » by No-more-rings » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:18 pm

eminence wrote:I might take Curry/KG over any duo possible, so them I guess. Fit pretty much perfectly together and skillsets mesh with anyone.

That’s very bold even for someone high on both of those players.

Just as some examples..would you take Curry/KG over LBJ/Duncan? What about MJ/Kareem? What about LBJ/Shaq? I just hope you thought more into the possibilities because on the surface that doesn’t really seem like a defensible take unless you start reaching into non basketball things like “well Shaq would leave” or “MJ and Kareem wouldn’t mesh in personalites” or something narrative driven.
User avatar
eminence
General Manager
Posts: 7,506
And1: 4,373
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#11 » by eminence » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:42 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
eminence wrote:I might take Curry/KG over any duo possible, so them I guess. Fit pretty much perfectly together and skillsets mesh with anyone.

That’s very bold even for someone high on both of those players.

Just as some examples..would you take Curry/KG over LBJ/Duncan? What about MJ/Kareem? What about LBJ/Shaq? I just hope you thought more into the possibilities because on the surface that doesn’t really seem like a defensible take unless you start reaching into non basketball things like “well Shaq would leave” or “MJ and Kareem wouldn’t mesh in personalites” or something narrative driven.


LBJ/Duncan certainly right there. I don't like MJ with great bigs relatively speaking. LBJ/Shaq is interesting to think on, but I think no for me.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17 (For now?)
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 12,738
And1: 8,703
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#12 » by 70sFan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:20 pm

eminence wrote:I might take Curry/KG over any duo possible, so them I guess. Fit pretty much perfectly together and skillsets mesh with anyone.

Magic and Russell?
Oscar and Kareem?
User avatar
eminence
General Manager
Posts: 7,506
And1: 4,373
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#13 » by eminence » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:40 pm

70sFan wrote:
eminence wrote:I might take Curry/KG over any duo possible, so them I guess. Fit pretty much perfectly together and skillsets mesh with anyone.

Magic and Russell?
Oscar and Kareem?


Yes and yes to those.

Curry/LBJ + KG/Duncan/Walton

Are my best duo contenders.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17 (For now?)
User avatar
henshao
Senior
Posts: 551
And1: 196
Joined: Jul 29, 2018

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#14 » by henshao » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:51 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
henshao wrote:Although Bird/Ewing is a very powerful start to a team, the flexibility of Curry/Garnett is too much to resist. You could legitimately play Curry at the 2 and Garnett at the 1 if for some reason it made sense to do so
No you couldn't

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk


yes you could

Sent from my pc using the website
JordansBulls
RealGM
Posts: 58,549
And1: 4,240
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Location: HCA (Homecourt Advantage)

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#15 » by JordansBulls » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:01 am

Bird/Ewing here. We talking a guy who got league and finals mvp the same year and a historic record with dominant playoff run stats wise and record wise.
Image
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
slimreaper2021
Sophomore
Posts: 129
And1: 6
Joined: Jul 02, 2020

Re: 1986 Bird/1990 Ewing vs 2015 Curry/2004 Garnett 

Post#16 » by slimreaper2021 » Yesterday 9:42 am

Bird/Ewing is a much safer defensive duo

Return to Player Comparisons