Paul George
28%

Total votes: 69

rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,197

Jimmy Butler vs Paul George 

Post#1 » by rate_ » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:33 pm

Who do you think is the better player right now?
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Re: Jimmy Butler vs Paul George 

Post#2 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:40 pm

Close but I prefer Butler. He's got that Kyle Lowry bulldog/winning-over-everything mentality and elevates his teams wherever he goes. Regardless of role.

No comparison is perfect but he's the closest modern player to Scottie Pippen.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#3 » by Dupp » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:20 am

Jimmys probably a better number 1,PG a better number 2. You’d need a near perfect situation for butler To be the best player on a title team though so ideally PG is probably the better guy to have if you can line him up with a better player.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#4 » by JordansBulls » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:22 am

I think Philly wins it all with George alongside Simmons and Embid.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#5 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:43 am

JordansBulls wrote:I think Philly wins it all with George alongside Simmons and Embid.

I agree with this even though I prefer Butler. PG is better suited for a souped up 3&D role.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#6 » by Basileus777 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:04 am

JordansBulls wrote:I think Philly wins it all with George alongside Simmons and Embid.

I'm not going to go with this. Butler was the lead ballhandler and offensive creator for that team in the playoffs, a role he is a better at than Paul George. Without Butler, who is handling the ball for Philly? Simmons? Well that's not going to win you a title. George is a worse fit for what that team needed if anything.

Now a Butler and George combo on the wings would have won a title.
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,851

Post#7 » by VancouverRaps » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:31 am

Was expecting PG to win this, but I agree with Butler. I’d rather have him on my team in the playoffs and down the stretch of a close game.
We the Champs
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,748

Post#8 » by LukaTheGOAT » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:21 am

The one who can actually shoot.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,401

Post#9 » by TheGOATRises007 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:32 am

I think PG in the RS last year peaked higher than Butler ever did, but his playoffs weren't great.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#10 » by RCM88x » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:45 am

Butler is a better player imo, he's better defensively and more impactful offensively (even tho his box scores aren't as pretty).

Neither are capable of being your #1 offensive option on a title team though.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,657

Post#11 » by stormi » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:48 am

George is more talented, I'd trust Jimmy more in the clutch. Jimmy passes better and is better makeshift point when needed but PG being so much of a better shooter makes me want him.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#12 » by Prokorov » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:18 am

rate_ wrote:Who do you think is the better player right now?

Butler in a landslide and the question is rather insulting.

Butler is an outstanding player who makes everyone better and who is better than his statline

George is a fraud star propped up by the league, the biggest empty stats player of this generation, and completely loser who makes everyone worse, and always comes up short in big moments
stormi
General Manager

Post#13 » by stormi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:29 am

Prokorov wrote:

Butler is an outstanding player who makes everyone better and who is better than his statline

George is a fraud star propped up by the league, the biggest empty stats player of this generation, and completely loser who makes everyone worse, and always comes up short in big moments

Paul George if he never played basketball again after 23 has accomplished more than Butler til now
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,652

Post#14 » by GSP » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:23 am

Jimmy. I trust him more with the ball.

Has George ever played as well against a defense like Jimmy did against the 19 Raptors? They put the ball in his hands and made it a series as he was carrying the offense. He also played Lebron as close as anyone in 2015 and gave him alot of issues

He isnt the shooter George is but Playoff P goes cold every playoffs. Jimmys ability to get to the rim and draw fouls is more valuable.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,468

Post#15 » by Pelly24 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:35 am

Basileus777 wrote:

I'm not going to go with this. Butler was the lead ballhandler and offensive creator for that team in the playoffs, a role he is a better at than Paul George. Without Butler, who is handling the ball for Philly? Simmons? Well that's not going to win you a title. George is a worse fit for what that team needed if anything.

Now a Butler and George combo on the wings would have won a title.

Honestly I don't think it's far fetched at all. They took Toronto to 7 games and if Embiid had played up to his usual standard they probably win against the Raptors. Then they can still beat Giannis and the Bucks. They have three elite defensive players in Butler (Who can take Middleton out of the game and take turns on Giannis), Ben Simmons (All NBA Defender, the only guy near Giannis' height that's nearly that level of athlete) and then a good rim protector in Embiid, who can also average 20/10 if he plays up to standard or even slightly below standard. Unlike the Bucks, though, the 76ers have Jimmy, who's comfortable A. Initiating the offense and passing B. Shooting midrange jumpers and threes (he's not great at any of these, but hes been willing to take them and he generall shoots better than he has this year) C. Getting to the freethrow line and knocking down freethrows. And then he's also got Embiid and Ben Simmons to pass to for play finishers. They could very plausibly beat the Bucks, whom the Raptors beat in six games.

And then because of the injuries to the Warriors, they also would have beaten that team, or at the least they could have. If It's a healthy Steph, Draymond and Klay, I doubt it, but it's clear they're contender team. Jimmy was, all things considered, the best player on that team, and he's just more consistent than Joel and because he's a wing it's more impactful.

Overall, Jimmy is simply a better player than Paul George. PG's game is prettier and it even looks like he's the smoother player, but PG has no first step and no speed and his handle is a bit shaky so he can't get to the rim as frequently and get buckets at the rim or get to the freethrow line as often when things aren't going so well. He also can't really dominate from the midrange and he's not a great passer. He's not as good a playmaker as Jimmy. He can't run an offense. Paul George just looked lost and clueless tonight, and he looks that way for decent portions of the regular season besides last year.

Jimmy is like either the 9th or 10th best player in the league and he's great because he can fulfill most roles very well. For a 51-win team, he can be the clearcut best player and likely get you into the second round of the playoffs. He can drag pretty bad teams to the playoffs even if it's 8th seed. He can bring enough value as a secondary creator and scorer and defend the other team's best player. If he's the third option, he can just get hustle buckets and play defense and be a backup point guard, etc. Just a very versatile player who can be useful in multiple contexts and has had a guaranteed success rate on every team so far. PG is also a great player, but he feels more one-dimensional and ultimately less dynamic.
rand
Starter
And1: 3,152

Post#16 » by rand » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:16 am

PG will get over this bad shooting night but the real difference between them right now is Jimmy is playing like a man possessed on defense and PG isn't.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,776

Post#17 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:19 am

PG has a skill set that I like better in a #2 role, but I think I "trust" Jimmy more in high-leverage situations.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,129

Post#18 » by Hal14 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:16 pm

It's close, but I think it depends on what your team needs and what the supporting cast looks like. Obviously, having good 3 point shooters is a must in today's NBA. Butler is not very good from 3 - George is a better 3 point shooter. If you need outside shooting, I'll take George.

If you have some other shooters (like Miami for example who has a bunch of other dudes who can hit 3s) then give me Butler because he has a better all around game (better defender, better passer, etc.)...all things equal, I'll go Butler just barely because he is the best player on one of the best teams in the league whereas George is the no. 2 guy on one of the best teams in the league..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#19 » by Prokorov » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:42 am

stormi wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Paul George if he never played basketball again after 23 has accomplished more than Butler til now

getting stomped in the face in the playoffs every year while making eveyrone around you worse is accomplished?
stormi
General Manager

Post#20 » by stormi » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:45 am

Prokorov wrote:
stormi wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

getting stomped in the face in the playoffs every year while making eveyrone around you worse is accomplished?

Oh. You haven't seen pre OKC PG.

Return to Player Comparisons