Has Kemba proven he's better than Kyrie yet?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Has Kemba proven he's better than Kyrie yet? 

Post#1 » by freethedevil » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:43 am

Kyrie's first and only playoffs without lebron ended up with him playing second fiddle to al hoford.

Has kemba done enough these playoffs to show he's better? If not, what else does he have to do?
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,258

Re: Has Kemba proven he's better than Kyrie yet? 

Post#2 » by mademan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:38 am

Didnt Boston sweep the 1st round last year and win game 1 of the second round. Thats as far as Boston has gotten this year
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,734

Post#3 » by GSP » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:43 am

We were 5-0 with Kyrie too and he was better than Horford through 5 games. Al was terrible against the Pacers last years
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,827

Post#4 » by Diop » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:45 am

This was one of the reasons Charlotte fans liked that kemba was going to a competing team, no one would entertain the argument when he was at Charlotte
Bidofo
Pro Prospect
And1: 938

Post#5 » by Bidofo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:14 am

If nothing else, he’s proven to be far better for their chemistry, which is having very tangible effects imo.
rand
Starter
And1: 3,154

Post#6 » by rand » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:48 am

First he has to completely ball out in the Finals like Kyrie did
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,505

Post#7 » by 70sFan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:17 am

No he doesn't and although I dislike Irving, I think he's a bit better player overall. The problem is that Kyrie became a headache recently, which is not the problem with Kemba.
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,840

Post#8 » by Homer38 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:42 am

The chemistry in the Celtics locker room is much better this year and it's not even close and Tatum and Brown have taken their next step, which I don't know if it would have been if Kyrie would still be there in Walker's place. ..Too much a big ego

Win or lose, I would be very surprised if the Celtics implode like last year, when they underachieve all year long and they had major problem for the chemistry even before the playoffs
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#9 » by therealbig3 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:42 am

I think Kyrie is the better player, but given Kemba's leadership and intangibles as well as his durability, I would take him 10/10 times over Kyrie if I was putting together a team. Like, for the Nets, Kemba and Durant would be a better combo than Kyrie and Durant for those reasons. But they don't get Durant without Kyrie.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,718

Post#10 » by AussieBuck » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:03 am

Kyrie is better at the very specific role of being the secondary ad-hoc shot creator on Lebron's team. In fact he's probably better at that than a whole stack of better overall players. He is however a giant peanut and had no idea that it was his best role or maybe Lebron was just too much of a patronising big brother. Either way Irving was awesome at that role and well below what his skill-set should provide at every other role he's played.

Kemba was a stretch as an alpha guy but did his best spamming pick and rolls but now he gets to be a comfortable second guy and fits in seamlessly around a trio of wings who need touches. I guess better is a bit nebulous, but most of the time, yes Kemba will add more value to your team than Kyrie even if Kyrie is more talented.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,678

Post#11 » by limbo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:38 am

He's at least proven that he can take a step back and play more towards what his team needs him to do on both ends... No way guys like Tatum, Brown get the opportunity/room to flourish in real games the same way with Kyrie there doing his tapdancing impressions... And that goes all the way down the roster.

If Kyrie was James Harden levels good on offense you might have been able to justify giving him the ball and free reigns. But since he's not, you're better of doing what Boston did. Not to mention that Kemba is at least present and playing. Kyrie can't stay healthy to save his career.
DidUSaySometing
Junior
And1: 104

Post#12 » by DidUSaySometing » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:18 pm

rand wrote:First he has to completely ball out in the Finals like Kyrie did

He could also play like a star player vs the Bucks in the conference finals — something Kyrie failed to do last year
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,901

Post#13 » by Woodsanity » Tue Sep 1, 2020 2:39 am

Kyrie is better but I rather have Kemba who is a better locker room presence and leader. Kyrie is a cancer and diva. Hard pass.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Post#14 » by Jordan Syndrome » Tue Sep 1, 2020 2:45 am

DidUSaySometing wrote:

He could also play like a star player vs the Bucks in the conference finals — something Kyrie failed to do last year

While Kemba Walker "could" play like a star player versus the Bucks this season in the Conference Finals, it isn't a point in favor for Kemba Walker. The event you mention would be an event taking place in the future and the thread specifically uses the term "Has", implying we are only including evidence which has happened in the past.

What rand says is a valid point to argue while your point is very obviously missing the dock, boat and harbor.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,474

Post#15 » by Pelly24 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 4:03 am

limbo wrote:He's at least proven that he can take a step back and play more towards what his team needs him to do on both ends... No way guys like Tatum, Brown get the opportunity/room to flourish in real games the same way with Kyrie there doing his tapdancing impressions... And that goes all the way down the roster.

If Kyrie was James Harden levels good on offense you might have been able to justify giving him the ball and free reigns. But since he's not, you're better of doing what Boston did. Not to mention that Kemba is at least present and playing. Kyrie can't stay healthy to save his career.

I should have learned to fall back on these, but Kyrie is a far better offensive player than Kemba by every measure in every category, and if he played in a system like the Rockets or Brooklyn for more of his career, he'd average like 28/8 on elite efficiency. The idea that he can't take a step back is wild. He played large chunks of time off the ball with LeBron. Comparing Tatum and Brown from last year to this year's version of both players would be wild, and all of them had as many shots as should have been allowed given that they were both mediocre offensive players last year. Kemba doesnt score efficiently with volume all that effortlessly, and that's why he took a backseat to Brown and Tatum. Kyrie's only averaging 24 ppg while there as his assist rate jumped up is proof that he's able to be successful in this offense. He didn't hog the ball from anyone and would've been justified to take a few more shots per game and ISO more than he did given he's one of the best ISO players and shooters in the league, maybe of all time.

All that is to say why not just enjoy Kemba for what he is and what he's doing? He's been very good. He's been like a top 20-25 player, really closer to 20 depending on how you look at it. He's a much better leader and a less confusing player to be around. He's always smiling and has a great attitude. If you wanted a reasonable composite of a Kyrie type player, he was the best option while not being as good.

Shout out to Kemba.
DidUSaySometing
Junior
And1: 104

Post#16 » by DidUSaySometing » Tue Sep 1, 2020 5:42 am

Jordan Syndrome wrote:
DidUSaySometing wrote:

While Kemba Walker "could" play like a star player versus the Bucks this season in the Conference Finals, it isn't a point in favor for Kemba Walker. The event you mention would be an event taking place in the future and the thread specifically uses the term "Has", implying we are only including evidence which has happened in the past.

What rand says is a valid point to argue while your point is very obviously missing the dock, boat and harbor.

Point is Kyrie flopped in the playoffs last year. Anyone who still argues he's still a top 10-15 player should look at the Celtics offense over the past 3 years. The Kemba-led Celtics are a top 5 offense, it's the first time Celtics had a top 5 offense since 1991. I don't care what Kyrie did 4 years ago — Kemba is far more durable and a better leader.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,474

Post#17 » by Pelly24 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 5:21 pm

DidUSaySometing wrote:
Jordan Syndrome wrote:
DidUSaySometing wrote:

Point is Kyrie flopped in the playoffs last year. Anyone who still argues he's still a top 10-15 player should look at the Celtics offense over the past 3 years. The Kemba-led Celtics are a top 5 offense, it's the first time Celtics had a top 5 offense since 1991. I don't care what Kyrie did 4 years ago — Kemba is far more durable and a better leader.

You're ignoring context. This team has three healthy good starter-to-all-nba wings. Last year they had hodgepodge of maybe average starting to below average wings. Hayward averaged like 17/5/5 on great efficiency, Tatum averaged 23 on 57 TS% and Jaylen is at 20 ppg on 60 TS%. Those are simply not numbers those three were capable of posting last year, and they had every chance to show they could. Those aren't even close to the same circumstances.

Nets gonna beat the celtics next year though so we'll see (assuming KD and Kyrie are healthy)
O_6
Rookie
And1: 1,509

Post#18 » by O_6 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 9:16 pm

limbo wrote:He's at least proven that he can take a step back and play more towards what his team needs him to do on both ends... No way guys like Tatum, Brown get the opportunity/room to flourish in real games the same way with Kyrie there doing his tapdancing impressions... And that goes all the way down the roster.

2019 Kyrie ---- 76.8 touches -- 5.5 ToP (Mins of Possession) -- 33.0 MPG
2020 Kemba -- 70.8 touches -- 5.9 ToP (Mins of Possession) -- 31.1 MPG

This idea that Kemba is less of a ball-hog than Kyrie and that's the reason why the Celtics offense is flowing better is a little silly. Kyrie definitely ISO'd more, because he's a more gifted ISO scorer. But overall, Kemba this year actually had the ball for longer than Kyrie did last year. Both guys were the leading ball-handlers on their teams and if anything, Kyrie played a slightly less ball-dependent role on offense last year. But here are how the next 7 players in terms of touches compare, from 2020 to 2019.

2019 Horford ------- 57.0 touches ---- 1.7 ToP --- 29.0 MPG
2019 Rozier --------- 51.9 touches ---- 3.7 ToP --- 22.7 MPG
2019 Smart -------- 46.6 touches ----- 2.6 ToP --- 27.5 MPG
2019 Hayward ----- 45.4 touches ----- 2.0 ToP --- 25.9 MPG
2019 Tatum -------- 45.3 touches ----- 2.0 ToP --- 31.1 MPG
2019 Morris Sr. ---- 43.9 touches ----- 1.5 ToP --- 27.9 MPG
2019 Brown -------- 31.8 touches ----- 1.2 ToP --- 25.9 MPG

2020 Tatum ---------- 68.1 touches --- 3.4 ToP --- 34.3 MPG
2020 Smart ---------- 58.7 touches --- 3.5 ToP --- 32.0 MPG
2020 Hayward ------- 57.7 touches --- 2.8 ToP --- 33.5 MPG
2020 Brown ---------- 49.0 touches --- 2.2 ToP --- 33.9 MPG
2020 Wanamaker --- 38.7 touches --- 2.7 ToP --- 19.3 MPG
2020 Theis ----------- 36.0 touches --- 0.9 ToP --- 24.1 MPG
2020 Kanter --------- 24.1 touches --- 0.7 ToP --- 17.0 MPG

Seems to me the big thing that occurred was that Horford, Rozier, and Morris Sr. leaving opened up the Celtics offense to utilize the Tatum/Hayward/Brown trio more. That trio includes a 21 year old Tatum, a 23 year old Brown, and a recovering from career-altering injury Hayward who were all going to get better in 2020 through natural progression alone. But the increased role on top of the increased ability really allowed them to make a much bigger impact this season than they did last year.

Whether it was with Kyrie or Kemba, the Tatum/Brown/Hayward trio was going to see a bigger role in the offense with Horford/Rozier/Morris gone.

Do I think Kemba being less of a diva than Kyrie could have helped Tatum/Brown/Hayward all feel more comfortable about their role on the team? Yea, I think that's fair to consider. When Tatum ascended during the last few months before the COVID break, Kemba seemed to have no issue with Tatum becoming "the guy" on the Celtics. Kyrie might have acted differently if he was in that position.

This is an interesting question because as far as players on the court, Kyrie is CLEARLY better than Kemba. Kyrie is the kind of player who I completely trust to score efficiently against elite defenses in playoff pressure situations. I don't quite have that trust in Kemba, he's not quite as efficient or skilled as a score and doesn't have the playoff experience. But does Kemba's personality edge make up for that on most teams? It's a weird question, I'll go with the guy I think is the better pure basketball player in Kyrie but I can see the debate.
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,678

Post#19 » by limbo » Tue Sep 1, 2020 9:57 pm

O_6 wrote:

2019 Kyrie ---- 76.8 touches -- 5.5 ToP (Mins of Possession) -- 33.0 MPG
2020 Kemba -- 70.8 touches -- 5.9 ToP (Mins of Possession) -- 31.1 MPG

This idea that Kemba is less of a ball-hog than Kyrie and that's the reason why the Celtics offense is flowing better is a little silly. Kyrie definitely ISO'd more, because he's a more gifted ISO scorer. But overall, Kemba this year actually had the ball for longer than Kyrie did last year. Both guys were the leading ball-handlers on their teams and if anything, Kyrie played a slightly less ball-dependent role on offense last year. But here are how the next 7 players in terms of touches compare, from 2020 to 2019.

2019 Horford ------- 57.0 touches ---- 1.7 ToP --- 29.0 MPG
2019 Rozier --------- 51.9 touches ---- 3.7 ToP --- 22.7 MPG
2019 Smart -------- 46.6 touches ----- 2.6 ToP --- 27.5 MPG
2019 Hayward ----- 45.4 touches ----- 2.0 ToP --- 25.9 MPG
2019 Tatum -------- 45.3 touches ----- 2.0 ToP --- 31.1 MPG
2019 Morris Sr. ---- 43.9 touches ----- 1.5 ToP --- 27.9 MPG
2019 Brown -------- 31.8 touches ----- 1.2 ToP --- 25.9 MPG

2020 Tatum ---------- 68.1 touches --- 3.4 ToP --- 34.3 MPG
2020 Smart ---------- 58.7 touches --- 3.5 ToP --- 32.0 MPG
2020 Hayward ------- 57.7 touches --- 2.8 ToP --- 33.5 MPG
2020 Brown ---------- 49.0 touches --- 2.2 ToP --- 33.9 MPG
2020 Wanamaker --- 38.7 touches --- 2.7 ToP --- 19.3 MPG
2020 Theis ----------- 36.0 touches --- 0.9 ToP --- 24.1 MPG
2020 Kanter --------- 24.1 touches --- 0.7 ToP --- 17.0 MPG

Seems to me the big thing that occurred was that Horford, Rozier, and Morris Sr. leaving opened up the Celtics offense to utilize the Tatum/Hayward/Brown trio more. That trio includes a 21 year old Tatum, a 23 year old Brown, and a recovering from career-altering injury Hayward who were all going to get better in 2020 through natural progression alone. But the increased role on top of the increased ability really allowed them to make a much bigger impact this season than they did last year.

Whether it was with Kyrie or Kemba, the Tatum/Brown/Hayward trio was going to see a bigger role in the offense with Horford/Rozier/Morris gone.

Do I think Kemba being less of a diva than Kyrie could have helped Tatum/Brown/Hayward all feel more comfortable about their role on the team? Yea, I think that's fair to consider. When Tatum ascended during the last few months before the COVID break, Kemba seemed to have no issue with Tatum becoming "the guy" on the Celtics. Kyrie might have acted differently if he was in that position.

This is an interesting question because as far as players on the court, Kyrie is CLEARLY better than Kemba. Kyrie is the kind of player who I completely trust to score efficiently against elite defenses in playoff pressure situations. I don't quite have that trust in Kemba, he's not quite as efficient or skilled as a score and doesn't have the playoff experience. But does Kemba's personality edge make up for that on most teams? It's a weird question, I'll go with the guy I think is the better pure basketball player in Kyrie but I can see the debate.

Thanks for the well thought out post.
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#20 » by Baski » Wed Sep 2, 2020 7:14 pm

Proven he could do better in a similar role at least. And I believe this includes the Cleveland years as well.

Return to Player Comparisons