Has Kemba proven he's better than Kyrie yet?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,294

Re: Has Kemba proven he's better than Kyrie yet? 

Post#41 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:08 pm

I don’t think he’s proven that he’s better than Kyrie at all. If he’s shown anything, it’s that he’s willing to take a backseat to Tatum and maybe Brown at times. Kyrie wanted to be the man, and the clear leader of the Celtics — so if he remained with them I think their growth gets stunted.

In that regard, I’d say Kemba is a better fit, but certainly not a better player.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,468

Post#42 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:13 pm

freethedevil wrote:Kyrie's first and only playoffs without lebron ended up with him playing second fiddle to al hoford.

Has kemba done enough these playoffs to show he's better? If not, what else does he have to do?

He's certainly a more valuable player than Kyrie ever was in Boston.

This is one of these places where I feel obliged to say that players cannot be defined by one "goodness" number. Kyrie has one super-outlier ability and in general a less problematic body against NBA-level athletes. Kemba is a better floor general, a better leader, a better team player, a better member of the player's association, a drastically more reliable friend and ally, etc.

Who would I rather count on for my franchise based on what they've shown so far? Kemba. But Kyrie is certainly better at some things.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#43 » by HornetJail » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:16 pm

The version of Kemba we've seen in these playoffs is a noticeable step back from his last 2-3 years in Charlotte. If he wasn't level with Kyrie, he was at least knocking on that door. Idk if he knee is still bothering him, but he has yet to have that statement moment in the playoffs that I think everybody was expecting.

Is he better than Kyrie? that's up for debate. But I'd certainly prefer Kemba over Kyrie on any team stacked enough with offensive weapons to reach the ECF. He is the better player for the Celtics, and that's really all that matters.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,833

Post#44 » by BK_2020 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:36 pm

Kemba played 56 games and all of playoffs. Kyrie played 20 games.
Kobe187
Starter
And1: 1,901

Post#45 » by Kobe187 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:32 am

Kyrie is a much better player than Kemba.
Kyrie, when healthy, is a top 5 PG in the league.

Return to Player Comparisons