The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 6)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Joey Wheeler
Starter
And1: 1,359

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 6) 

Post#1941 » by Joey Wheeler » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:09 pm

Baski wrote:How long do you guys think this team can stay together? They look pretty freaking incredible at their best.

This could be the dynasty/dominant team some detractors use against Lebron. How long can he stay at this level though? Even 2 years seems generous given age. If only he was drafted in the West.

They will probably never lose a series while Lebron is still in his prime and AD is healthy, so it depends on how they hold up. I don't see how a team can be built to beat them honestly. Even the KD Warriors, I struggle to see them take 4 games off Lebron and AD, they almost certainly don't actually if the Lakers actually add some more useful role players. Do the Warriors win the 2017 Finals if Love is replaced with AD? I don't believe they do.

As for the weak East, it's not a narrative, it's definitely the weaker conference most years and Lebron's team in the West wouldn't have made most of those Finals. A team like the 2018 Cavs is likely a first round exit in the West, 2nd round at best. If you mean the narrative is "Lebron only looks dominant because he plays in the East" then of course it's a stupid narrative, he'll be dominant regardless of who the opponents are.
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Post#1942 » by JulesWinnfield » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Love Lebron. Favorite player in the game, maybe favorite athlete of all time. But he wasn’t the MVP this year, and it really wasn’t arguable. He may still be the best player (that’s arguable, and the fact that it’s arguable in year 17 is unfathomable) but the most valuable player in the league in the 2019-2020 NBA regular season was Giannis and it’s not really arguable. Lebron can take exception all he wants, and it’s nice if that fuels him, but I’m not here for the whining he’s doing about the process. Giannis was the MVP and there’s no real debate about that. He takes exception to only getting 16 first place votes, that’s 16 more than he deserved. Giannis was MVP by a good margin
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,840

Post#1943 » by Homer38 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Read on Twitter
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,639

Post#1944 » by Heej » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:45 pm

This team is a little too beast lol I'm worried about them cakewalking this series and not being ready for Miami
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#1945 » by Greyhound » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:09 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:Love Lebron. Favorite player in the game, maybe favorite athlete of all time. But he wasn’t the MVP this year, and it really wasn’t arguable. He may still be the best player (that’s arguable, and the fact that it’s arguable in year 17 is unfathomable) but the most valuable player in the league in the 2019-2020 NBA regular season was Giannis and it’s not really arguable. Lebron can take exception all he wants, and it’s nice if that fuels him, but I’m not here for the whining he’s doing about the process. Giannis was the MVP and there’s no real debate about that. He takes exception to only getting 16 first place votes, that’s 16 more than he deserved. Giannis was MVP by a good margin

You must be a media guy.

You guys voted in your guy “that really wasn’t arguable” and he left some sunny side ups on your foreheads (with his predictable postseason flameout).

It happens.

Take the L (that LeBron is drawing attention to), scrape up the eggs and keep it moving.
Don't believe the hype...
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 6) 

Post#1946 » by Greyhound » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:19 pm

Heej wrote:This team is a little too beast lol I'm worried about them cakewalking this series and not being ready for Miami

Baby steps.

This Nuggets series is far from over.
Don't believe the hype...
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,639

Post#1947 » by Heej » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:31 pm

Greyhound wrote:
Heej wrote:This team is a little too beast lol I'm worried about them cakewalking this series and not being ready for Miami

Baby steps.

This Nuggets series is far from over.

Nah man, I see them taking a game or 2 but if they get out-physical'd in Game 2 I think they'll be rattled. I'll have to watch their interviews to be sure, but in previous rounds Murray always made a point of saying when the Nuggets thought they had the advantage in the series despite what the record said. I'm not sure how many positive points they're gonna take away from this game, so if they don't come up with something to hang their hat on by next game so they can come out confident in Game 3 this series is gonna be a cakewalk
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,954

Post#1948 » by thebigbird » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:34 pm

LeBron’s leadership is his biggest advantage at this point. All season people talked about how the Lakers are full of misfits. Javale, Dwight, Rondo, KCP, Waiters, Morris, now JR Smith. They got called the meme team more than I can count. While the Clippers were barking, the Lakers put their heads down and put in the work. A bunch of personalities thrown together and they’ve had no chemistry issues. No locker room turmoil. They look like they’re having a blast. Undrafted Alex Caruso is hitting clutch shots, throwing oops, and playing great defense. Washed joke Dwight Howard is imposing his will. Hell, Rondo looks like he stepped into a time machine. And now they’re 3 games from the finals. LeBron has silenced all the remaining criticisms against him this season. Bad teammate. Can’t play with big men. Can’t play in the West.
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#1949 » by JulesWinnfield » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:38 pm

Greyhound wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:Love Lebron. Favorite player in the game, maybe favorite athlete of all time. But he wasn’t the MVP this year, and it really wasn’t arguable. He may still be the best player (that’s arguable, and the fact that it’s arguable in year 17 is unfathomable) but the most valuable player in the league in the 2019-2020 NBA regular season was Giannis and it’s not really arguable. Lebron can take exception all he wants, and it’s nice if that fuels him, but I’m not here for the whining he’s doing about the process. Giannis was the MVP and there’s no real debate about that. He takes exception to only getting 16 first place votes, that’s 16 more than he deserved. Giannis was MVP by a good margin

You must be a media guy.

You guys voted in your guy “that really wasn’t arguable” and he left some sunny side ups on your foreheads (with his predictable postseason flameout).

It happens.

Take the L (that LeBron is drawing attention to), scrape up the eggs and keep it moving.

I’m a Lebron fan but not a cult follower, I guess that’s where we part. Giannis is not “my guy”, if anyone is that’s LBJ. But there’s levels to this homer stuff apprently. Some of you I guess are that far gone. As an aside maybe you should know that nothing in the heat series has anything to do with the MVP voting. I don’t know why I have to break this news to you, but apparently I do

Giannis was better than Lebron this regular season, and yes it’s not really arguable at all
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#1950 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:41 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:
Greyhound wrote:

You must be a media guy.

It happens.

I’m a Lebron fan but not a cult follower, I guess that’s where we part. Giannis is not “my guy”, if anyone is that’s LBJ. But there’s levels to this homer stuff apprently. Some of you I guess are that far gone. As an aside maybe you should know that nothing in the heat series has anything to do with the MVP voting. I don’t know why I have to break this news to you, but apparently I do

Giannis was better than Lebron this regular season, and yes it’s not really arguable at all

I agree giannis was mvp, but bron specifically said he didnt like the disparity and giannis was deserving
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,802

Post#1951 » by yoyoboy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:48 pm

This MVP stuff is embarrassing. It’s a regular season accomplishment and Giannis deserved it, what exactly are we doing here? LeBron shouldn’t be talking about. Get that title, and people will care about that a hell of a lot more.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,954

Post#1952 » by thebigbird » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:09 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:
Greyhound wrote:

You must be a media guy.

It happens.

I completely disagree. If you want to say Giannis had a better regular season then ok, fine. But he wasn’t better than LeBron this season. LeBron was still the better player. I fully believe that LeBron would’ve won the MVP if the season hadn’t been postponed. He put Giannis in a jail cell the weekend before the pause, and the Lakers were hitting their stride.

In any event, both guys had the 1 seed. Both guys won their first round in 5 games. One guy is playing in the WCF while the other guy couldn’t even take a game off his second round matchup. Giannis had the better numbers, but LeBron was the better player.
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#1953 » by JulesWinnfield » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:19 pm

thebigbird wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:
Greyhound wrote:You must be a media guy.

It happens.

I completely disagree. If you want to say Giannis had a better regular season then ok, fine. But he wasn’t better than LeBron this season. LeBron was still the better player. I fully believe that LeBron would’ve won the MVP if the season hadn’t been postponed. He put Giannis in a jail cell the weekend before the pause, and the Lakers were hitting their stride.

In any event, both guys had the 1 seed. Both guys won their first round in 5 games. One guy is playing in the WCF while the other guy couldn’t even take a game off his second round matchup. Giannis had the better numbers, but LeBron was the better player.

We agree to disagree. Lebron is arguably my favorite athlete of all time and I don’t have it in my heart to carry on a prolonged debate where he is on the wrong side of it. I just think the voters clearly got it right.

Is Lebron a better player than Giannis right now? In certain circumstances, short bursts like a series or playoffs when Lebron can dial it up and empty the tank in a way he smartly isn’t doing in year 17 over 82 games...and can adjust to a particular defense over the course of a 7 game series in a way Giannis can’t quite do right now due to less refinement and experience... quite possibly. But game in, game out, over the marathon of a full season... this season... that’s a different story to me.

Best player and most valuable in the regular season are different things. Lebron has been the best player in the league to me since 2014, but I still don’t think he got “robbed” by not winning an MVP in that span
Homer38
RealGM

Post#1954 » by Homer38 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:56 pm

Playoffs Rondo

Read on Twitter
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#1955 » by homecourtloss » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:34 pm

thebigbird wrote:LeBron’s leadership is his biggest advantage at this point. All season people talked about how the Lakers are full of misfits. Javale, Dwight, Rondo, KCP, Waiters, Morris, now JR Smith. They got called the meme team more than I can count. While the Clippers were barking, the Lakers put their heads down and put in the work. A bunch of personalities thrown together and they’ve had no chemistry issues. No locker room turmoil. They look like they’re having a blast. Undrafted Alex Caruso is hitting clutch shots, throwing oops, and playing great defense. Washed joke Dwight Howard is imposing his will. Hell, Rondo looks like he stepped into a time machine. And now they’re 3 games from the finals. LeBron has silenced all the remaining criticisms against him this season. Bad teammate. Can’t play with big men. Can’t play in the West.

The very same things that LeBron doesn’t do well according to the critics are the very things that make this team so good. Laker team chemistry has been incredible from the getgo and is obviously and advantage for the Lakers in Bubbledom. The term “LeGM” only rears itself when he’s losing.

James, who TuRnS EvErYoNe iNtO a JuMpShOOtEr, has allowed Davis to play his game, and even enhanced it. This is the third playoffs in which a LeBron teammate has had a 30%+ usage rate in the playoffs. He’s also played with and created good offense with two bigs in, non shooting bigs, etc., something he did in his first stint in Cleveland, in Miami, and then his first two years back in Cleveland.

Lastly, we see once again the narratives shift like we always do with James. Talk of “stacked” and “super” beginning to rear their heads when nobody thought their roster was anything at the beginning of the year, something we’ll see more of if the ale sweep the Nuggsor win 4-1 in runaway fashion. In fact, there were posts that said even if Kawhi went there, it wasn’t good enough with the scrubs in their rotation.

Every betting site had their win total at 46-52 (out of a full 82 game schedule) because a) they thought LeBron wasn’t LeBron anymore b) AD was fragile and c) the rest of the roster wasn’t very good.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Homer38
RealGM

Post#1956 » by Homer38 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:50 pm

Read on Twitter
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#1957 » by RCM88x » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Dude is a very competitive person, what he said was completely normal. If Westbrook or KD said something like that would anyone care? Probably not.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#1958 » by MisterHibachi » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:04 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Homer38
RealGM

Post#1959 » by Homer38 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:08 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

WOW!

It could be one of the best duo of all-time if they won the title for a single season!
KTM_2813
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#1960 » by KTM_2813 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:11 pm

yoyoboy wrote:This MVP stuff is embarrassing. It’s a regular season accomplishment and Giannis deserved it, what exactly are we doing here? LeBron shouldn’t be talking about. Get that title, and people will care about that a hell of a lot more.

What's concerning is that the same arguments people used to make against LeBron ("Sure, he has the best stats and is the most important player on the best regular season team, but we all know in our hearts that Kobe is better, so don't give LeBron the MVP!") are now being made against Giannis by us LeBron fans. We can't just change gears whenever convenient. Giannis is a deserving MVP.
sansterre wrote:The success of a star's season is:

Individual performance + Teammate performance - Opposition +/- Luck

Return to Player Comparisons