Stephen Westbrook
33%

Total votes: 70

freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,229

Re: Kawhi Doncic vs Stephen Westbrook 

Post#21 » by freethedevil » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:11 pm

penbeast0 wrote:I don't really care as long as the resulting player signs with the Wizards.

fpr two years, after two retirements
Saints14
Analyst
And1: 5,390

Post#22 » by Saints14 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:23 pm

I'm kind of surprised at Kawhi Doncic winning in a landslide - I was actually worried that allowing for peak versions would make it too lopsided on the other side (2016 Curry best peak).

Kawhi Doncic is the perfect basketball player. No doubt about that. But I don't think the defensive gap is as large as some think. First, if you take 2019 Kawhi and give him Luka usage on O you aren't getting DPOY-level defense on the other end. Meanwhile if you take Curry's defensive IQ and add Westbrook's athleticism, motor and rebounding that's a solid plus on D.

I think the gap on offense and transition is greater in favor of Stephen Westbrook. Whichever way you look at it - giving Curry ATG athleticism or making Westbrook an ATG shooter/off-ball player, that player is utterly unstoppable. Can get to whatever spot on the floor he wants and hit shots at an elite clip, set up teammates or provide gravity off-ball
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,584

Post#23 » by penbeast0 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:15 pm

freethedevil wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:I don't really care as long as the resulting player signs with the Wizards.

fpr two years, after two retirements

Don't remind me. And then he traded Rip Hamilton for Jerry Stackhouse and destroyed Kwame Brown's confidence because he felt that for his legacy he had to "win now." It's been a rough last 50 years to be a Bullets/Wizards fan.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#24 » by E-Balla » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Westbrook shot 34% from deep on 7 attempts once before. He averaed 31/11/10, won MVP, was the most clutch player ever, and single handedly kept his team in it in the playoffs vs Houston.

Now we're making that guy a player that can shoot 45% from deep on 10+ attempts?

I can imagine a 50 ppg season coming out of Stephen Westbrook without a literal hard double team all 96 feet up and down the court. Like you don't let someone with Curry's shot, Westbrook's athleticism, and Westbrook's aggression touch the ball ever if you want to win.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,649

Post#25 » by hype_2004 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:39 pm

I don't think we have ever seen someone with superstar athleticism combining elite shooting. Kawhi and Doncic is pretty much a similar player offensively with the exception of Kawhi's defensive attributes but a Stephen Westbrook hybrid? Who gonna stop that guy?
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,578

Post#26 » by parsnips33 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:47 pm

E-Balla wrote:Westbrook shot 34% from deep on 7 attempts once before. He averaed 31/11/10, won MVP, was the most clutch player ever, and single handedly kept his team in it in the playoffs vs Houston.

Now we're making that guy a player that can shoot 45% from deep on 10+ attempts?

I can imagine a 50 ppg season coming out of Stephen Westbrook without a literal hard double team all 96 feet up and down the court. Like you don't let someone with Curry's shot, Westbrook's athleticism, and Westbrook's aggression touch the ball ever if you want to win.

Even if you don't let him touch the ball could you imagine his off-ball game. A threat for a lob or a pindown 3 on any possession. Curry's off ball instincts with Russ' athleticism sheesh
CKRT
Analyst
And1: 404

Post#27 » by CKRT » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:48 pm

I am also surprised about the poll results. People were already complaining that 2016 Curry broke the game and now we are giving him Westbrook's insane athleticism? I don't see a good enough argument for Kawhi Doncic.
lilojmayo wrote:Juice is not a chucker, like say James Harden
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#28 » by E-Balla » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:55 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Westbrook shot 34% from deep on 7 attempts once before. He averaed 31/11/10, won MVP, was the most clutch player ever, and single handedly kept his team in it in the playoffs vs Houston.

Even if you don't let him touch the ball could you imagine his off-ball game. A threat for a lob or a pindown 3 on any possession. Curry's off ball instincts with Russ' athleticism sheesh

Man imagine someone with Westbrook's speed, first step, and acceleration coming off a screen and how fast you'd have to get out there just to make him not open with a 50% 3 pointer. And imagine if he saw you come off and decided to cut to the rim because of it. Like WTF are you going to even do? Double him off ball too?
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#29 » by eminence » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:08 pm

You'd have to hard double Steph Westbrook on and off ball. It'd be nuts. Kawhi Doncic would be the best player ever, but largely in line with what we've seen. I'll go with Steph Westbrook.
I bought a boat.
CKRT
Analyst
And1: 404

Post#30 » by CKRT » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:33 pm

E-Balla wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:

Man imagine someone with Westbrook's speed, first step, and acceleration coming off a screen and how fast you'd have to get out there just to make him not open with a 50% 3 pointer. And imagine if he saw you come off and decided to cut to the rim because of it. Like WTF are you going to even do? Double him off ball too?

Just imagine any of these with Westbrook's speed/aggression lol.
lilojmayo wrote:Juice is not a chucker, like say James Harden
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#31 » by Leslie Forman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:54 pm

CKRT wrote:I am also surprised about the poll results. People were already complaining that 2016 Curry broke the game and now we are giving him Westbrook's insane athleticism? I don't see a good enough argument for Kawhi Doncic.

Kawhi+Luka is one of the most flawless players imaginable. I can't think of many other blank+blank same size player combos that would be that flawless (Giannis+Dirk? LeBron+Larry? IDK). You're essentially combining all-time great ballhandling/passing/awkwardness combined with all-time great shotmaking/defense/unflappability. Luka isn't a great shooter? Well Kawhi is. Kawhi isn't a great passer? Well Luka is. Luka isn't a great defender? Well Kawhi is. Kawhi isn't very creative? Well Luka is. Luka is reckless? Well Kawhi isn't.

Adding Westbrook to Curry, you've still got a kinda reckless player with good but not particularly great passing and not a lot of defensive impact.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,530

Post#32 » by Alatan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:47 am

freethedevil wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:Kawhi already has all the attributes of Doncic, now Russell Westbrook with a three is a GOAT player, how do you stop that guy?

You forget the gigantic passing gap?

Westbook id one fot he best creators in history and one of the best in the league. Absolutlely boneheaded post

Lol.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,530

Post#33 » by Alatan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:53 am

CKRT wrote:I am also surprised about the poll results. People were already complaining that 2016 Curry broke the game and now we are giving him Westbrook's insane athleticism? I don't see a good enough argument for Kawhi Doncic.

Curry is already a pretty great offensive player. Combining him with Westbrook gives him a decent boost to slashing and finishing ability so his scoring would go up to maybe 40 ppg. He would still suck at defense and with all that offensive load he would probably not even attempt to play it.

Kawhi + Doncic has no weaknesses. He is a 30+ ppg scorer, a playmaker, an off ball threat both as a shooter and a cutter, a lock down individual defender and a great team defender. No one can stop this guy and he has all the tools to bust his team in every facet of the game.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,534

Post#34 » by Peregrine01 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:04 pm

I don’t think Curry improves all that much with Westbrook’s athleticism. Importantly, he’ll still be 6’3”. Now, I’d choose a 6’7” Curry over any player in history.

Kawhi with Luka’s vision and passing is just about the perfect player.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,508

Post#35 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:06 pm

Very few (realistic) hybrids are better than better than Kawhii Doncic, especially for the modern game.
One I would consider is Dirk Garnett.

Sent from my SM-N975F using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
Yuri36
Sixth Man
And1: 1,311

Post#36 » by Yuri36 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:26 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:Very few (realistic) hybrids are better than better than Kawhii Doncic, especially for the modern game.

Dirk Garnett wouldn't be close to Kawhi Doncic in term of handles or passing.
Only thing it would have over Kawhi Doncic would the size and rebounding ability
frica
Pro Prospect
And1: 454

Post#37 » by frica » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:22 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:Very few (realistic) hybrids are better than better than Kawhii Doncic, especially for the modern game.

I'd say Arvydas-Jabbar would be the most impressive plausible hybrid of all time.
Have fun defending that.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM

Post#38 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:49 pm

Yuri36 wrote:

Only thing it would have over Kawhi Doncic would the size and rebounding ability

Dirk Garnett is the best possible modern day center, it's not meant to be close in terms of handles and having Garnett means it's still an all time great passer.
And having Dirk it means it's an all time level shot maker as well, as probably no other big man ever was.
All this while being the perfect defensive player for modern era, a 7 foot Draymond.

Слава Украине!
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM

Post#39 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:50 pm

frica wrote:

I'd say Arvydas-Jabbar would be the most impressive plausible hybrid of all time.
Have fun defending that.
Not sure, there's really a lot of overlapping there.

Слава Украине!
Yuri36
Sixth Man
And1: 1,311

Post#40 » by Yuri36 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:59 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
Yuri36 wrote:

Dirk Garnett is the best possible modern day center, it's not meant to be close in terms of handles and having Garnett means it's still an all time great passer.

You're confounding a few things, KG was an all time great passer FOR A POWER FORWARD but he was not anywhere close to the all time great guards passers like Stockton, Nash, Magic, Kidd or now Doncic.

Return to Player Comparisons