The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8)

Moderators: Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal, Quotatious, Clyde Frazier, trex_8063

User avatar
RCM88x
RealGM
Posts: 13,887
And1: 18,210
Joined: May 31, 2015
Location: Lebron Ball
     

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1921 » by RCM88x » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:38 pm

Sublime187 wrote:I really hope the Lakers dont get Paul. Firstly, with no great role players Bron will have to do some heavy lifting again in the RS which we probably dont want at this point. I think its better to spread the money out and try to get better at each position. Furthermore, Paul gets hurt and that is that.


I totally agree, don't mess with the LeBron-AD duo and work to improve the depth and role players around them. If they get a solid wing guy or another PG for cheap who can slide in and make the offense a bit more dynamic that would be ideal. Paul is just too expensive and valuable to be in the Lakers reach.
Image

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
User avatar
MisterHibachi
RealGM
Posts: 16,424
And1: 17,020
Joined: Oct 06, 2013
Location: Toronto
 

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1922 » by MisterHibachi » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:39 pm

Sublime187 wrote:I really hope the Lakers dont get Paul. Firstly, with no great role players Bron will have to do some heavy lifting again in the RS which we probably dont want at this point. I think its better to spread the money out and try to get better at each position. Furthermore, Paul gets hurt and that is that.


Strongly disagree. Stars >>>>

And CP is still a top tier star, especially in the role he would be in. Plus he's a still a monster on defense. The guy has no weaknesses except for health, and I think he would remain healthier in this role given his role would be much smaller than ever before. Plus, can you imagine CP/AD pick and rolls? Could potentially be the most devastating offensive pairing in the league, especially with LeBron cutting off ball. That trio would really be unguardable man.

But I agree that trading half the roster for him would be super risky. I don't want to get rid of KCP, Green, Kuz. They're very valuable on both ends throughout the season. It would really depend on who they're able to find for minimum contracts or whatever exceptions they'll have. Ideally, for CP to end up on the Lakers, he would have to take a buyout (or negotiate an amnesty in these on-going CBA negotiations) and take the full MLE.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
User avatar
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
Posts: 2,183
And1: 2,083
Joined: Dec 13, 2017

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1923 » by Ainosterhaspie » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:10 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:
Sublime187 wrote:I really hope the Lakers dont get Paul. Firstly, with no great role players Bron will have to do some heavy lifting again in the RS which we probably dont want at this point. I think its better to spread the money out and try to get better at each position. Furthermore, Paul gets hurt and that is that.


Strongly disagree. Stars >>>>

And CP is still a top tier star, especially in the role he would be in. Plus he's a still a monster on defense. The guy has no weaknesses except for health, and I think he would remain healthier in this role given his role would be much smaller than ever before. Plus, can you imagine CP/AD pick and rolls? Could potentially be the most devastating offensive pairing in the league, especially with LeBron cutting off ball. That trio would really be unguardable man.

But I agree that trading half the roster for him would be super risky. I don't want to get rid of KCP, Green, Kuz. They're very valuable on both ends throughout the season. It would really depend on who they're able to find for minimum contracts or whatever exceptions they'll have. Ideally, for CP to end up on the Lakers, he would have to take a buyout (or negotiate an amnesty in these on-going CBA negotiations) and take the full MLE.

One or two stars yes. By the time you get to the 3rd or 4th, not so much. Having reliable, not spectacular, simply reliable guys like Shane Battier and 2016 JR and TT at least up to the 7th or 8th spot in the rotation is more important than a 3rd or 4th star. For one it gives you better injury resilience as a team so you don't end up with a Cavs 2015 situation, but also in the playoffs, teams are really good at leveraging a single weak point on offense or defense.

And having huge amounts of cap space devoted to just three guys massively cripples your flexibility. If there is a problem with fit or fitness, you're screwed. With a two star model you retain flexibility to fill holes.

Watching James' various "super teams" struggle through the years because the stars skillsets are redundant and the supporting cast is trash, makes me real nervous about continuing the get as many stars as possible mindset, and tying up 40 million in cap space on an oft injured aging star screams bad idea to me.

That said, I've long seen Davis and CP3 as ideal fits next to James. Both create spacing. Both are excellent defenders for their position. CP3 obviously can run an offense when James is out and can create easy scoring chances for James when he's on the floor. Limitations to LeBron's off ball game are overstated, just as LeBron not being able to work with a big man was overstated. CP3 would unlock off-ball LeBron. I just think the rest of the cast isn't right and CP3 is too old, and takes too much cap space for him to be brought in at this moment.
40k/10k/10k Watch

238 Games @ 25 ppg, 298 Games @ 20 ppg.
95 Games @7 rpg, 132 Games @ 5 rpg.
72 Games @10 apg, 143 @ 5 apg.
User avatar
MisterHibachi
RealGM
Posts: 16,424
And1: 17,020
Joined: Oct 06, 2013
Location: Toronto
 

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1924 » by MisterHibachi » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:27 pm

Ainosterhaspie wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:
Sublime187 wrote:I really hope the Lakers dont get Paul. Firstly, with no great role players Bron will have to do some heavy lifting again in the RS which we probably dont want at this point. I think its better to spread the money out and try to get better at each position. Furthermore, Paul gets hurt and that is that.


Strongly disagree. Stars >>>>

And CP is still a top tier star, especially in the role he would be in. Plus he's a still a monster on defense. The guy has no weaknesses except for health, and I think he would remain healthier in this role given his role would be much smaller than ever before. Plus, can you imagine CP/AD pick and rolls? Could potentially be the most devastating offensive pairing in the league, especially with LeBron cutting off ball. That trio would really be unguardable man.

But I agree that trading half the roster for him would be super risky. I don't want to get rid of KCP, Green, Kuz. They're very valuable on both ends throughout the season. It would really depend on who they're able to find for minimum contracts or whatever exceptions they'll have. Ideally, for CP to end up on the Lakers, he would have to take a buyout (or negotiate an amnesty in these on-going CBA negotiations) and take the full MLE.

One or two stars yes. By the time you get to the 3rd or 4th, not so much. Having reliable, not spectacular, simply reliable guys like Shane Battier and 2016 JR and TT at least up to the 7th or 8th spot in the rotation is more important than a 3rd or 4th star. For one it gives you better injury resilience as a team so you don't end up with a Cavs 2015 situation, but also in the playoffs, teams are really good at leveraging a single weak point on offense or defense.

And having huge amounts of cap space devoted to just three guys massively cripples your flexibility. If there is a problem with fit or fitness, you're screwed. With a two star model you retain flexibility to fill holes.

Watching James' various "super teams" struggle through the years because the stars skillsets are redundant and the supporting cast is trash, makes me real nervous about continuing the get as many stars as possible mindset, and tying up 40 million in cap space on an oft injured aging star screams bad idea to me.

That said, I've long seen Davis and CP3 as ideal fits next to James. Both create spacing. Both are excellent defenders for their position. CP3 obviously can run an offense when James is out and can create easy scoring chances for James when he's on the floor. Limitations to LeBron's off ball game are overstated, just as LeBron not being able to work with a big man was overstated. CP3 would unlock off-ball LeBron. I just think the rest of the cast isn't right and CP3 is too old, and takes too much cap space for him to be brought in at this moment.


Fair points, there's always the risk of CP getting hurt in the playoffs. But when on court, I think CP would be a massive addition, and I'm generally in support of moving chips all in when you have shots at a championship.

The Bleacher Report article had the Lakers moving Green, Kuz, and Bradley along with filler pieces for CP. But Bradley wasn't even in the bubble, Kuz and Green both were up and down. They would still have KCP, Dwight, Caruso, Morris and any other off season signings. They would still have decent depth, but now you get that 3rd piece that's going to reliably show up every playoff game.

They could have a crunch time lineup of CP/LeBron/AD with two of Caruso, Morris, Dwight, KCP, or other off season signings. Not a lot of weaknesses in those lineups, and the top level is higher than it was this past year. They would still have some exceptions to use this off season, and could convince good players to take some discounts in a cap crunched year.

We've never seen LeBron play with a point guard of CP's caliber and I just want to see the levels the team could reach with that. They're two of the three or four best offensive players of the past decade still playing at a prime level, and add in AD...
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Homer38
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,609
And1: 4,370
Joined: Dec 04, 2013

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1925 » by Homer38 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:33 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:
Strongly disagree. Stars >>>>

And CP is still a top tier star, especially in the role he would be in. Plus he's a still a monster on defense. The guy has no weaknesses except for health, and I think he would remain healthier in this role given his role would be much smaller than ever before. Plus, can you imagine CP/AD pick and rolls? Could potentially be the most devastating offensive pairing in the league, especially with LeBron cutting off ball. That trio would really be unguardable man.

But I agree that trading half the roster for him would be super risky. I don't want to get rid of KCP, Green, Kuz. They're very valuable on both ends throughout the season. It would really depend on who they're able to find for minimum contracts or whatever exceptions they'll have. Ideally, for CP to end up on the Lakers, he would have to take a buyout (or negotiate an amnesty in these on-going CBA negotiations) and take the full MLE.

One or two stars yes. By the time you get to the 3rd or 4th, not so much. Having reliable, not spectacular, simply reliable guys like Shane Battier and 2016 JR and TT at least up to the 7th or 8th spot in the rotation is more important than a 3rd or 4th star. For one it gives you better injury resilience as a team so you don't end up with a Cavs 2015 situation, but also in the playoffs, teams are really good at leveraging a single weak point on offense or defense.

And having huge amounts of cap space devoted to just three guys massively cripples your flexibility. If there is a problem with fit or fitness, you're screwed. With a two star model you retain flexibility to fill holes.

Watching James' various "super teams" struggle through the years because the stars skillsets are redundant and the supporting cast is trash, makes me real nervous about continuing the get as many stars as possible mindset, and tying up 40 million in cap space on an oft injured aging star screams bad idea to me.

That said, I've long seen Davis and CP3 as ideal fits next to James. Both create spacing. Both are excellent defenders for their position. CP3 obviously can run an offense when James is out and can create easy scoring chances for James when he's on the floor. Limitations to LeBron's off ball game are overstated, just as LeBron not being able to work with a big man was overstated. CP3 would unlock off-ball LeBron. I just think the rest of the cast isn't right and CP3 is too old, and takes too much cap space for him to be brought in at this moment.


Fair points, there's always the risk of CP getting hurt in the playoffs. But when on court, I think CP would be a massive addition, and I'm generally in support of moving chips all in when you have shots at a championship.

The Bleacher Report article had the Lakers moving Green, Kuz, and Bradley along with filler pieces for CP. But Bradley wasn't even in the bubble, Kuz and Green both were up and down. They would still have KCP, Dwight, Caruso, Morris and any other off season signings. They would still have decent depth, but now you get that 3rd piece that's going to reliably show up every playoff game.

They could have a crunch time lineup of CP/LeBron/AD with two of Caruso, Morris, Dwight, KCP, or other off season signings. Not a lot of weaknesses in those lineups, and the top level is higher than it was this past year. They would still have some exceptions to use this off season, and could convince good players to take some discounts in a cap crunched year.

We've never seen LeBron play with a point guard of CP's caliber and I just want to see the levels the team could reach with that. They're two of the three or four best offensive players of the past decade still playing at a prime level, and add in AD...



I would like that, but I don't think the thunder would accept this trade
User avatar
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
Posts: 2,183
And1: 2,083
Joined: Dec 13, 2017

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1926 » by Ainosterhaspie » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:37 pm

What filler pieces? Kuz and Bradley aren't too big a loss, Green a bit moreso. Even with shooting struggles, he still had to be accounted for by opposing defenses which opens things up inside for the rest of the team. But dirty work defense is very important, and losing that would hurt.

Even so CP3/LeBron/AD/Dwight/KCP/Caruso keeps you covered for most needs. Lose any of those though, and I see depth being a significant problem. And even with that, keeping up with PG/Leonard or Curry/Thompson or Irving/Durant on the perimeter is a concern. Lakers got a little lucky this year not facing top end wing pairings because I'm not convinced they had the perimeter tools to handle them effectively.
40k/10k/10k Watch

238 Games @ 25 ppg, 298 Games @ 20 ppg.
95 Games @7 rpg, 132 Games @ 5 rpg.
72 Games @10 apg, 143 @ 5 apg.
User avatar
MisterHibachi
RealGM
Posts: 16,424
And1: 17,020
Joined: Oct 06, 2013
Location: Toronto
 

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1927 » by MisterHibachi » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm

Ainosterhaspie wrote:What filler pieces? Kuz and Bradley aren't too big a loss, Green a bit moreso. Even with shooting struggles, he still had to be accounted for by opposing defenses which opens things up inside for the rest of the team. But dirty work defense is very important, and losing that would hurt.

Even so CP3/LeBron/AD/Dwight/KCP/Caruso keeps you covered for most needs. Lose any of those though, and I see depth being a significant problem. And even with that, keeping up with PG/Leonard or Curry/Thompson or Irving/Durant on the perimeter is a concern. Lakers got a little lucky this year not facing top end wing pairings because I'm not convinced they had the perimeter tools to handle them effectively.


https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2913545-nba-execs-see-lebrons-influence-over-lakers-leading-to-a-chris-paul-trade

If James set his sights on Paul, the Lakers would have to send out five players: Kyle Kuzma, Danny Green and Quinn Cook, along with Avery Bradley and JaVale McGee, who need to opt into their contracts to be dealt. L.A. would also need to send its No. 28 pick in November's draft, signing that player before waiting 30 days to execute a deal in which the Lakers would offload almost $33 million in players salaries.


Kuz, Green and Bradley are legit pieces. McGee was a starter but very replaceable, and Cook was like the 12th man, and I would consider them both filler pieces. And the 28th pick is not even worth stressing over. But important thing is that in this scenario, they're keeping their best guard defender (Caruso) and their best overall role player and 3&D guy (KCP). Along with Dwight and Morris. And if I'm not mistaken, they would still remain in a similar tax position, which means they would still have their non taxpayer MLE (~$9-10m) so they could add a legit rotation piece.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
User avatar
Heej
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,200
And1: 4,910
Joined: Jan 14, 2011

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1928 » by Heej » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:09 am

Lol wait a minute. If they could get CP3 for they that package then what in the damn hell are we even debating here? :rofl: CP Is honestly my 3rd favorite player in the league after Bron and AD. I can't tell you how much I would lose my s*** and jump for joy if that's what we got CP3 For lmao.
User avatar
MisterHibachi
RealGM
Posts: 16,424
And1: 17,020
Joined: Oct 06, 2013
Location: Toronto
 

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1929 » by MisterHibachi » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:13 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
User avatar
LikeABosh
RealGM
Posts: 15,946
And1: 5,125
Joined: Jun 15, 2011

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1930 » by LikeABosh » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:22 am

Idk. I think there are smarter options than CP3. But I wouldn't be against it. Basically a rich man's Rondo for the Lakers
D.Brasco
Head Coach
Posts: 7,367
And1: 5,114
Joined: Nov 17, 2006

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1931 » by D.Brasco » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:47 am

Image
Homer38
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,609
And1: 4,370
Joined: Dec 04, 2013

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1932 » by Homer38 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:26 am

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter
C0bR
Pro Prospect
Posts: 790
And1: 447
Joined: Jan 16, 2013

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1933 » by C0bR » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:27 pm

CP3 is a big no no right now. We all saw what happened to an aging big 3 surrounded by depleted roster in '14 and it wasn't pretty.
Fadeaway_J
RealGM
Posts: 14,902
And1: 2,908
Joined: Jul 25, 2016
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
   

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1934 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:45 pm

2019-20 CP3 would be a big upgrade on paper, but I don't think it's wise to bet the farm on him replicating the performance level and health he had last season.

Someone like Rose would serve the Lakers' purposes just fine IMO. You just need someone to reliably eat up possessions in the regular season and take some of the playmaking burden off LeBron. Once you get to the playoffs that guy isn't going to be playing a primary role anyway. Rose is also already accustomed to the sixth man role.
User avatar
LikeABosh
RealGM
Posts: 15,946
And1: 5,125
Joined: Jun 15, 2011

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1935 » by LikeABosh » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:37 pm

C0bR wrote:CP3 is a big no no right now. We all saw what happened to an aging big 3 surrounded by depleted roster in '14 and it wasn't pretty.


It was more like an aging big 3 with an aging, depleted roster.

This current Lakers roster isn't particularly young either, but LeBron/AD are still the 2 best players in the league. Adding Chris Paul doesn't make it an aging big 3. You're just giving the best duo an elite role player (and that's probably underselling his impact)

As long as you're keeping Caruso and KCP, I don't see an issue with losing Green/Kuzma. That doesn't deplete the Lakers
User avatar
LikeABosh
RealGM
Posts: 15,946
And1: 5,125
Joined: Jun 15, 2011

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1936 » by LikeABosh » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:41 pm

I don't want Rose personally. No spacing and he still misses a ton of games every year.

Noel would be a good pick up though. I don't even think you'd have to use him situationally like Dwight/McGee. Much more versatile
User avatar
Heej
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,200
And1: 4,910
Joined: Jan 14, 2011

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1937 » by Heej » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:11 pm

Yea I'm not too excited about Rose. I can understand Noel but I'd rather take a flyer on Boogie cuz Dwight's better than all of them anyway. Lakers could just find a good cheap young big in the draft like Cacok.
User avatar
RCM88x
RealGM
Posts: 13,887
And1: 18,210
Joined: May 31, 2015
Location: Lebron Ball
     

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1938 » by RCM88x » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:52 pm

Adding Rose to this roster would be such a bad decision. No shooting, old, ballhog, bad defender. Last thing this team needs.
Image

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
limbo
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,995
And1: 1,791
Joined: Jun 30, 2019
 

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1939 » by limbo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:04 pm

People need to keep in mind that one of the best things about the Lakers getting CP3 would be the Lakers denying CP3 from other contenders.
The Master
Junior
Posts: 321
And1: 437
Joined: Dec 30, 2016

Re: The Lebron '20 Thread (Pt. 8) 

Post#1940 » by The Master » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:21 pm

limbo wrote:People need to keep in mind that one of the best things about the Lakers getting CP3 would be the Lakers denying CP3 from other contenders.

If Lakers are again that efficient in collecting valuable role players via minimum (Kieff, Howard and so on), CP3 trade is no brainer: he's still borderline All-NBA Team player, amazing fit to this team and prize is not as high as in most cases for a player of this status would be. Yes, there is some risk, but potential reward is much, much higher, if CP3 (and LBJ & AD) stays healthy, Lakers are historically good team. But I don't think it will happen.

Return to Player Comparisons