Montrezl Harrell or Davis Bertrans

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Re: Montrezl Harrell or Davis Bertrans 

Post#21 » by Jordan Syndrome » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:03 pm

King Ken wrote:This is not true. Harrell is far more productive.

No he isn't. Harrell can do "more things on the court" than Bertans can, but Harrell's skill-set simply does not translate to the post-season.

We saw last season with Duncan Robinson and his ability to move off-ball at an all-time high level and shoot at an all-time great level allow the Miami Heat to win 14 games in the post-season. Robinson was a crucial part of a Miami Heat team winning 2 games in the NBA Finals.

Bertans is a player who fits a similar mold as Robinson and can do similar things on the court.

I can see Bertrans doing that too but how many teams use his types like GS and Miami and have playmaking big who creates for others? You are putting his best case when that's just not likely. For most teams, he's an off the bench stretch 4.

Why would I not look at the best case? Bertans is a free agent. A team willing to offer him a high contract, $15+ Million annually must have a good reason to pay him and thus must have a plan in place.

Teams like the Nuggets, Blazers, Pistons, Pacers and Thunder all have good to decent passing bigs who can capitalize on Bertans.

The same question can be asked about Harrell. Who exactly wants a high-energy big who is close to reaching an expiration date when bigs who rebounds can be found at minimum-level contracts?

Harrell is a thousand times better right now than Howard. Yeah, I don't think you watch much basketball outside of the bubble.

1000x? Let's not be hyperbolic. One of these players could stay on the court with Jokic, one was laughed off the court. One bought in and played great defense all season long, one did not.

If I were a team with title aspirations I would want Howard 10/10.

I watched plenty of games this season just as I have for 25+ years. I dont appreciate you questioning my basketball knowledge when you have yet to put forth a worthy argument for Harrell.

Cheers!
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,317

Post#22 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:44 pm

Weird thing about Bertans I didn't realize: he tore his ACL twice before making it to the NBA. It hasn't seemed to deter him much though as he's been relatively healthy since and had a breakout season this year. Some of the shooting outbursts he's had were super impressive and I don't consider them a fluke. His +7.9 on/off is substantial on a fairly weak roster. I think fit favors Bertans a bit more playing alongside a traditional rim protector.

Harrell is a year younger and the energy/efficiency he brings on offense is clear, especially on the P&R. His weaknesses on defense are probably overstated after the poor showing against jokic in the playoffs as he doesn't have to face him every night. Maybe that evens the scales as far as salary is concerned, although it depends on the team. Going into the bubble I would've assumed Harrell would command more money. They're both pretty favorable in impact metrics across the board, although I'd question them a bit more as harrell played in a much better situation.

All things equal I think i'd prefer to throw my money at Bertans in today's NBA, but it's close.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#23 » by shakes0 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:22 pm

Jordan Syndrome wrote:
King Ken wrote:Harrell because he's a plus basketball player in the regular season in his role but in the playoffs, his value can be lessen because he's a pattern player.

This is not an argument for Harrell.

Bertans is just as good, if not better in the regular season. I can see Bertans having "Duncan Robinson-like" impact in the post-season, which eclipses everything and anything we have seen from Harrell.

What makes Harrell better than Dwight Howard? Dwight Howard is a player I much prefer to have in the post-season. Dwight Howard is a close-to minimum level player.

I'm just quoting you cause it's cool to finally see another DePaul guy on this board! I'm pretty sure I was the only one till you showed up. Welcome!

Return to Player Comparisons