The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason

Moderators: Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal, Quotatious, Clyde Frazier, trex_8063

User avatar
LikeABosh
RealGM
Posts: 16,274
And1: 5,598
Joined: Jun 15, 2011

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#801 » by LikeABosh » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:42 pm

Dupp wrote:Also, what if kcp gets annoyed they’re trying to trade him and they end up either neither guy?


I'm not sure I've seen anything that says the Lakers are trying to trade him. Only tweets speculating about what's possible

I feel like the Lakers are trying to figure out a way to keep KCP and get Bogi. Otherwise, I don't understand the hold-up. We know Atlanta has the money and wants Bogi, so why hasn't he signed the offer sheet?
tone wone
Junior
Posts: 494
And1: 227
Joined: Mar 10, 2015

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#802 » by tone wone » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:49 pm

Heej wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:Lou Williams worked magic with Harrell on the pick and roll over the last few years so imagine that action with Lebron now. He was exposed defensively in the Denver series and I’m gonna have to hold my nose to root for him after the Luka fiasco, but at this contract I can’t complain. The scoring punch he will bring off the bench, his energy and fire are all welcome additions. And the fact that this hurts the Clippers is a bonus...

They are having a great offseason. Hope they can land Gasol now for some beef.

They're just gonna switch it just like they did with Brons pnr with Love and AD. I think Schroder pnr with Bron could be money tho

Yep. That's what happens when your ball-handler (Lebron) isn't a pullup threat. Teams just switch and flood paint if you try dump the ball into the post. Now if LA had Cleveland's shooting this would be a lot harder to do cause AD is a elite finisher while Love was a pitiful one.

The Harrell signing is a Luxury signing for a team that still can't shoot. I just don't like offense-only bigs unless they're actual stars or shoot 3's. I hope it doesn't cost them KCP. If it does, I'll go from being mildly annoyed to flat out not liking the signing on any level.

A lot of roster churn regardless . Could be spending the first few weeks out of sorts incorporating a lot new faces...with a quick a turnaround, continuity is supposed to be a champions advantage..
90sgoat wrote:Harden would struggle to score 20 in the 90s. I think he might have struggled to even score 15 to be honest.

^^^This is one silly ass board
User avatar
homecourtloss
Head Coach
Posts: 6,562
And1: 10,451
Joined: Dec 29, 2012

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#803 » by homecourtloss » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:51 pm

dcstanley wrote:What is the Lakers best defensive lineup if the Bogdan deal goes through?

Caruso
Matthews
Bogdan? Vet min?
Lebron
AD

They would have a lot offensive versatility but would be limited defensively. I don't think any opposing defense would be able to stop them though.


That’s a lineup of five “+” defenders playing 5 out on offense...
OdomFan wrote:I'd rather have Ray Allen on my team [over Curry].


Hal14 wrote:Not saying I put McHale over Duncan, but the argument can be made.
tone wone
Junior
Posts: 494
And1: 227
Joined: Mar 10, 2015

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#804 » by tone wone » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:56 pm

RCM88x wrote:
xb3at band1tx wrote:KCP is a fine defender but I thought it was clear to everyone here that the Lakers defense is more about the scheme than about individual guys. I don't mind the bogdan deal although they still need to get a replacement defender for dwight.


You still need guys to play in that scheme. Bradley, Green and KCP were pretty key to that during the regular season and playoffs.

Scheme is great but you still need talented guys.

Right, the Lakers assembled a really talented defensive roster. Full of smart, heady defenders who could adjust on the fly and complimented one another really well. Rondo was the only "bad" defender in their rotation. They've already lost their best post defender in Dwight.
90sgoat wrote:Harden would struggle to score 20 in the 90s. I think he might have struggled to even score 15 to be honest.

^^^This is one silly ass board
User avatar
homecourtloss
Head Coach
Posts: 6,562
And1: 10,451
Joined: Dec 29, 2012

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#805 » by homecourtloss » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:59 pm

xb3at band1tx wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:
xb3at band1tx wrote:KCP is a fine defender but I thought it was clear to everyone here that the Lakers defense is more about the scheme than about individual guys. I don't mind the bogdan deal although they still need to get a replacement defender for dwight.

If by the scheme you mean do not play bad defenders, then I agree

Rondo and Bradley were net-negative defenders for years by the time they touched down in LA. Hell half the guys the Lakers got last year were castaways that nobody else in the league wanted.

Putting them in Vogel's system with a bought-in LeBron and Davis made them seem so much better than they are.

I just think running it back would've been a mistake, the core was legit getting old. They still need to fill out holes for sure but I can't fault Rob for getting younger and building up to something with a much more balanced attack


League will see this next year. Rondo was garbage defensively for two full years and was a negative defender in the playoffs, which was masked by perhaps fluky Rondo 3pt shooting and AD making every midrange shot though Rondo did do a good job running offense. That was WITH Rondo trying on defense. Watch what happens next year on a no-defense team.

Bradley had turned into a negative defender before last year with people being fooled by his ball pressure and pretty good pick and roll defense. In any case, the Lakers ran roughshod through the playoffs in bubble conditions without him while going up against Lillard, Harden, Murray, and the Heat’s shooters.

Howard...thought that was sizable loss. If they replaced him with a Gasol or Baynes, then I wouldn’t worry about it. I’d prefer a defensive wing and Gasol over Trez, but if they can lock down one of these things, I still like their chances.
OdomFan wrote:I'd rather have Ray Allen on my team [over Curry].


Hal14 wrote:Not saying I put McHale over Duncan, but the argument can be made.
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 106,765
And1: 59,245
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Billy Crystals lap
 

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#806 » by Dupp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:24 pm

What’s going on with Baynes? Dude was having. great year before he got hurt. Imagine there’s money out there for him
Neato wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for being a neato
User avatar
MyUniBroDavis
Analyst
Posts: 3,678
And1: 1,570
Joined: Jan 14, 2013
   

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#807 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:44 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:You have to be at least very good on defense if you wanna win, tho. In a vacuum, yes these players are probably better. But LA lost a lot of versatility. And with KCP and Morris back they will be above the apron(can't sign vet mins or recieve additional salary in a trade).


Outside of harrell, matthews is a better man defender than green which is more important if we are talking about versatility, and schroder is a far better one than rondo

I personally think that playff Rondo is a better defender than Schroder

Matthews is better man defender, but he can't guard Luka, Kawhi or KD. He's worse as a team defender, so I'm not so sure they are better on the wing.

Harrell is a huge downgrade from Dwight. I just don't get why would they invest so much resources into their own version of Lou/Harrell


Id say rondo is a better team defender, same with thing with matthews

I get the idea that team D > individual D but its a situational thing. Atm we need wing defenders and matthews fills that role pretty well right now, and hes not horrible as a team defender either, solid enough

Rondo was really bad man to man even in the playoffs but was really good in zone defenses because of iq, but i think schroders actually a good man to man defender so i think it does offset it
oof
User avatar
MyUniBroDavis
Analyst
Posts: 3,678
And1: 1,570
Joined: Jan 14, 2013
   

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#808 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:46 pm

homecourtloss wrote:
xb3at band1tx wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:If by the scheme you mean do not play bad defenders, then I agree

Rondo and Bradley were net-negative defenders for years by the time they touched down in LA. Hell half the guys the Lakers got last year were castaways that nobody else in the league wanted.

Putting them in Vogel's system with a bought-in LeBron and Davis made them seem so much better than they are.

I just think running it back would've been a mistake, the core was legit getting old. They still need to fill out holes for sure but I can't fault Rob for getting younger and building up to something with a much more balanced attack


League will see this next year. Rondo was garbage defensively for two full years and was a negative defender in the playoffs, which was masked by perhaps fluky Rondo 3pt shooting and AD making every midrange shot though Rondo did do a good job running offense. That was WITH Rondo trying on defense. Watch what happens next year on a no-defense team.

Bradley had turned into a negative defender before last year with people being fooled by his ball pressure and pretty good pick and roll defense. In any case, the Lakers ran roughshod through the playoffs in bubble conditions without him while going up against Lillard, Harden, Murray, and the Heat’s shooters.

Howard...thought that was sizable loss. If they replaced him with a Gasol or Baynes, then I wouldn’t worry about it. I’d prefer a defensive wing and Gasol over Trez, but if they can lock down one of these things, I still like their chances.


Rondos a good defender under specific circumstances, but he has glaring weaknesses still

Id say bradleys a good defender though, he was kinda hobbled other years. Hes not better than caruso on that end but he does the right things and is good at pressuring ball handlers and fighting through screens, but hes not gonna act guard wings i feel

I still say we improved overall, depending on who we get next we might have gotten the biggest boost in the league other than maybe the bucks, for contenders in terms of signings
oof
A_Biased_Fan
Junior
Posts: 305
And1: 403
Joined: May 23, 2015
   

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#809 » by A_Biased_Fan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:00 am

Thank you Rondo for choosing the Hawks over the Flippers!
xb3at band1tx
Senior
Posts: 559
And1: 611
Joined: Sep 29, 2012

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#810 » by xb3at band1tx » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:56 am

THE POPE IS BACK!
User avatar
LikeABosh
RealGM
Posts: 16,274
And1: 5,598
Joined: Jun 15, 2011

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#811 » by LikeABosh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:59 am

xb3at band1tx wrote:THE POPE IS BACK!


:rockon:
User avatar
LikeABosh
RealGM
Posts: 16,274
And1: 5,598
Joined: Jun 15, 2011

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#812 » by LikeABosh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:00 am

Just need another vet big
User avatar
Mos_Heat
General Manager
Posts: 9,010
And1: 36,280
Joined: Jan 12, 2016
Location: Meh
 

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#813 » by Mos_Heat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 am

3/40 for KCP. Starting salary should be somewhere around 12m, which allows them to stay under the apron. Might be their best move so far
:reporter:
User avatar
LikeABosh
RealGM
Posts: 16,274
And1: 5,598
Joined: Jun 15, 2011

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#814 » by LikeABosh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:13 am

So about...$7 million away from the apron I think. Re-signing Kief with a bit of a raise is possible. But obviously the last few minimums would have to be the cheap kind of minimums (can't do three 10 year vet contracts for instance)
User avatar
Heej
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,276
And1: 4,994
Joined: Jan 14, 2011

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#815 » by Heej » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:20 am

If Rob Pelinka actually read the room right on the Harrell deal he could very well be the best GM LeBron's worked under. Pat still got it for now, but Miami made some seriously questionable decisions throughout his time there.
Fadeaway_J
RealGM
Posts: 15,231
And1: 3,068
Joined: Jul 25, 2016
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
   

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#816 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:27 am

Good to get KCP out of the way.

Gasol would be a nice get if you could promise me he wasn't washed - but that's a big if.
xb3at band1tx
Senior
Posts: 559
And1: 611
Joined: Sep 29, 2012

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#817 » by xb3at band1tx » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:28 am

KCP 3/40 is solid considering Joe Harris is making 4/75
User avatar
Mos_Heat
General Manager
Posts: 9,010
And1: 36,280
Joined: Jan 12, 2016
Location: Meh
 

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#818 » by Mos_Heat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:28 am

Heej wrote:If Rob Pelinka actually read the room right on the Harrell deal he could very well be the best GM LeBron's worked under. Pat still got it for now, but Miami made some seriously questionable decisions throughout his time there.

Pat was super lazy that time. Especially in the 4th year
:reporter:
User avatar
MisterHibachi
RealGM
Posts: 16,488
And1: 17,150
Joined: Oct 06, 2013
Location: Toronto
 

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#819 » by MisterHibachi » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:29 am

Heej wrote:If Rob Pelinka actually read the room right on the Harrell deal he could very well be the best GM LeBron's worked under. Pat still got it for now, but Miami made some seriously questionable decisions throughout his time there.


The willingness to take risks, inject productive young players, and revamp so much of the roster after a title already sets him apart from all the other LeBron GMs. We'll see after this season whether that's in a good or bad way.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
User avatar
Mos_Heat
General Manager
Posts: 9,010
And1: 36,280
Joined: Jan 12, 2016
Location: Meh
 

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#820 » by Mos_Heat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:38 am

Giles and Craig are young vets. Would cost 3.3m combined
:reporter:

Return to Player Comparisons