Post#901 » by nzahir » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:52 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:What is this javale + kuz for robinson stuff lol

I mean its an easy yes objectively but no way knicks are that dumb

Where are you seeing that?

Mcgee and 2 2nds makes the most sense imo

Sign Marc

KCP, Wes, Lebron, AD, Gasol
Dennis, AC, THT?, Kuzma, Trez

Try to bring back Kieff, but if we can't, we need a replacement 4/5. Thinking Illyasova would fit
Bring back Dudley
I would go after Korver
Maybe another athletic C?

Leave 1 spot
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#902 » by homecourtloss » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:59 pm

mademan wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
limbo wrote:A dude that is an elite defender

Where are people getting this from?

People didnt watch the Raps enough. Theyre gonna miss his scoring/spacing, not his defense

Gasol will be a plus defender even relative to his position, i.e., center, probably until he retires.

—8th in D-PIPM
—10th in DRPM
—6th in DRAPTOR

Should have been an all-NBA defense candidate in the regular season.

He also shot 39.7% on wide open threes last year, the types of threes he’d get in BRon/AD lineups.

His shot was awful in the playoffs and his defense wasn’t as impactful, but other than that, Gasol at the 5 would be a steal for the Lakers and make them better offensively and defensively than with:

—McGee: give up the lob threat on offense and court running but gain spacing; in the regular season, Lakers had some of their highest Ortgs in 5 man lineups even with McGee being a non-shooter as long as LeBron was on court; Gasol is simply a better defender) or

—Howard: give up the lob threat that Howard was on offense, lose his rebounding especially offensive, but spacing. Gasol was actually a much better rim protector than Howard last year as well,
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#903 » by LikeABosh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:00 pm

homecourtloss wrote:
mademan wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
Where are people getting this from?

People didnt watch the Raps enough. Theyre gonna miss his scoring/spacing, not his defense

Gasol will be a plus defender even relative to his position, i.e., center, probably until he retires.

—8th in D-PIPM
—10th in DRPM
—6th in DRAPTOR

He also shot 39.7% on wide open threes last year, the types of threes he’d get in BRon/AD lineups.

His shot was awful in the playoffs and his defense wasn’t as impactful, but other than that, Gasol at the 5 would be a steal for the Lakers and make them better offensively and defensively than with:

—McGee: give up the lob threat on offense and court running but gain spacing; in the regular season, Lakers had some of their highest Ortgs in 5 man lineups even with McGee being a non-shooter as long as LeBron was on court; Gasol is simply a better defender) or

—Howard: give up the lob threat that Howard was on offense, lose his rebounding especially offensive, but spacing. Gasol was actually a much better rim protector than Howard last year as well,

We were talking about Ibaka
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#904 » by Slava » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:03 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Slava wrote:
dcstanley wrote:If they can secure Gasol and retain Morris this offseason is a success. Schroeder is an upgrade on Rondo, Gasol/Trez > Javale/Dwight, Matthews = Green. I think it'll be difficult to complain about the job Pelinka did.

Still think they are one wing defender short unless Horton Tucker looks ready to play. I wonder if Ariza has anything left in the tank when he gets bought out.

Dont we have the same amount of wing defenders as last year?

Yeah match ups broke favourably there, a full series against a Durant or Leonard might test the wings we currently have. Matthews is nice but 34 and KCP gives up a lot of size. I'd rather not rely on AD expending a full series against Durant.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#905 » by homecourtloss » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:
mademan wrote:

—8th in D-PIPM
—10th in DRPM
—6th in DRAPTOR

We were talking about Ibaka

Oh. In that case, meh. He was really in the playoffs shooting and was good defensively though was benched against the Celtics for certain stretches. He’ll be better overall for the Clippers than Trez was most likely.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Post#906 » by JulesWinnfield » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:09 pm

Reading between the tweets by Shams, seems like Gasol is down to Toronto and LA and is waiting on LA to create more flexibility for a better offer. Seems like if the Lakers can find a way to up it they’ll get him, and if not he will go back to the Raptors. You’d have to think he’d sign with the Lakers if they can make a move for more flexibility, otherwise he would have already just signed in Toronto
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#907 » by LikeABosh » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:12 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:Reading between the tweets by Shams, seems like Gasol is down to Toronto and LA and is waiting on LA to create more flexibility for a better offer. Seems like if the Lakers can find a way to up it they’ll get him, and if not he will go back to the Raptors. You’d have to think he’d sign with the Lakers if they can make a move for more flexibility, otherwise he would have already just signed in Toronto

Unless Toronto hasn't given him a reasonable offer yet. Probably lowballing him
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#908 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:14 pm

Slava wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Slava wrote:
Still think they are one wing defender short unless Horton Tucker looks ready to play. I wonder if Ariza has anything left in the tank when he gets bought out.

Yeah match ups broke favourably there, a full series against a Durant or Leonard might test the wings we currently have. Matthews is nice but 34 and KCP gives up a lot of size. I'd rather not rely on AD expending a full series against Durant.

I agree wing D is our biggest weakness if we get morris and marc, our wing defenders would be

Lebron/AD/Wesley/(kuz?)

And you dont really want AD or bron in those positions full time

Im curious if harrell can suddenly be a good perimeter defender, hes shown flashes
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#909 » by JulesWinnfield » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:15 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:Reading between the tweets by Shams, seems like Gasol is down to Toronto and LA and is waiting on LA to create more flexibility for a better offer. Seems like if the Lakers can find a way to up it they’ll get him, and if not he will go back to the Raptors. You’d have to think he’d sign with the Lakers if they can make a move for more flexibility, otherwise he would have already just signed in Toronto

Unless Toronto hasn't given him a reasonable offer yet. Probably lowballing him

Maybe. But I think LA probably has a commitment that if they can move McGee and up the offer he will come over. I doubt the Lakers would go through with just trading McGee and then come up empty handed, they’d have to have some sort of assurance that if they meet whatever the agreed upon number is that he’d head West

We will know soon enough
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,678

Post#910 » by limbo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:15 pm

If they can offer Gasol a satisfiable amount of money, then i'm pretty confident they can get him. Lakers just have much more to offer outside of salary, like being in LA > Toronto (possibly, dunno if Gasol really values that personally) a better chance for a title and a perhaps underrated reason is that his brother Pau is a Laker legend. Marc's already won a title in Toronto anyway, i think winning another one as a Laker and share that connection with his big brother sounds compelling.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#911 » by Slava » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Slava wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:

I agree wing D is our biggest weakness if we get morris and marc, our wing defenders would be

Lebron/AD/Wesley/(kuz?)

And you dont really want AD or bron in those positions full time

Im curious if harrell can suddenly be a good perimeter defender, hes shown flashes

I was hoping for a McGee + Kuz + Cook trade for a wing before they waived Cook. Despite all the improvements Kuz made, I'm not sold on offering him an extension that makes him a positive trade value asset.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#912 » by JulesWinnfield » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:41 pm

I know he’s a total knucklehead who doesn’t impact the game anywhere close to where his stats may lead someone to believe, but I can’t lie... if news broke that the Lakers got Whiteside for the vet minimum I’d be excited
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#913 » by Greyhound » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:46 pm

limbo wrote:If they can offer Gasol a satisfiable amount of money, then i'm pretty confident they can get him. Lakers just have much more to offer outside of salary, like being in LA > Toronto (possibly, dunno if Gasol really values that personally) a better chance for a title and a perhaps underrated reason is that his brother Pau is a Laker legend. Marc's already won a title in Toronto anyway, i think winning another one as a Laker and share that connection with his big brother sounds compelling.

I don’t know.

LeBron randomly took a shot at Gasol’s defensive player of the year award during the playoffs.

Then you have Harrell with the whole Luka thing.

I could see Marc stringing along the Lakers here (like Collison and Kawhi before him), then taking his talents to Spain.

If the Lakers pawn McGee to the Knicks, then Gasol pulls a clown move, it will be bad.
Don't believe the hype...
Greyhound
Lead Assistant

Post#914 » by Greyhound » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:48 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:I know he’s a total knucklehead who doesn’t impact the game anywhere close to where his stats may lead someone to believe, but I can’t lie... if news broke that the Lakers got Whiteside for the vet minimum I’d be excited

I thought Whiteside agreed to terms with Sacramento.
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#915 » by JulesWinnfield » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:51 pm

Greyhound wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:I know he’s a total knucklehead who doesn’t impact the game anywhere close to where his stats may lead someone to believe, but I can’t lie... if news broke that the Lakers got Whiteside for the vet minimum I’d be excited

I thought Whiteside agreed to terms with Sacramento.

I’ve seen reports that they are interested. Nothing that says he’s signed. I’ve also seen tweets saying the Lakers and Hornets have interest, but it doesn’t appear anyone is willing to offer him much
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,678

Post#916 » by limbo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Whiteside gets too much crap. He had a +2.4 DPIPM last season and was the biggest reason the Blazers weren't the worst defensive team in the league... He's one of the best rebounders and shot-blockers in the league... Offensively, the dude averaged 15.5 ppg on .645 %TS...

What more do people want? Whiteside is worth more than the vet minimum.
Greyhound
Lead Assistant

The Lebron Thread | 2021 & Offseason 

Post#917 » by Greyhound » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:58 pm

I may be in the minority here, but I do not like the idea of giving away McGee (who is very productive in limited minutes) just to up the offer to a guy (Marc Gasol) who could be 100% baked.

Marc as a vet minimum signing (to add a savvy big body to the roster) is one thing. Trading away players and clearing space for him is another.

I say no dice.
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 7,080

Post#918 » by Freighttrain » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:05 pm

limbo wrote:If they can offer Gasol a satisfiable amount of money, then i'm pretty confident they can get him. Lakers just have much more to offer outside of salary, like being in LA > Toronto (possibly, dunno if Gasol really values that personally) a better chance for a title and a perhaps underrated reason is that his brother Pau is a Laker legend. Marc's already won a title in Toronto anyway, i think winning another one as a Laker and share that connection with his big brother sounds compelling.

He was also drafted by us, but I don't think that will persuade him :lol:
dreamshake
Starter
And1: 2,462

Post#919 » by dreamshake » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:33 pm

Greyhound wrote:I may be in the minority here, but I do not like the idea of giving away McGee (who is very productive in limited minutes) just to up the offer to a guy (Marc Gasol) who could be 100% baked.

Marc as a vet minimum signing (to add a savvy big body to the roster) is one thing. Trading away players and clearing space for him is another.

I say no dice.

I think you're overthinking it a bit. Gasol is just so much more skilled than JaVale. And he's only 3 years older than him. Gasol is 35, which is old by NBA standards, but not ancient. His shooting and passing would be really welcome and his positional awareness on defense more than makes up for less athleticism.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#920 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:35 pm

Greyhound wrote:I may be in the minority here, but I do not like the idea of giving away McGee (who is very productive in limited minutes) just to up the offer to a guy (Marc Gasol) who could be 100% baked.

I say no dice.

We are getting rid of someone that is essentially a body for the RS and not playing in the playoffs (7 minutes a game outaide of vs portland)

Vs a floor spacing big that fills the role of

5 out spacing big
Strong rim protector that has played against small lineups and did fine
Person that can guard jokic

Even if hes washed he still provides things we didnt have before and are key weaknesses.
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:

Return to Player Comparisons