2020-21 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: Clyde Frazier, trex_8063, Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal, Quotatious

User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 11,004
And1: 14,198
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1241 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:44 am

The NBA media has always been a complete joke compared to just about any other sport. I look at the MLB and all the smart, nuanced, analytics-focused coverage they have and it becomes even more depressing that the NBA is still stuck with Jeff Van Gundy and Shaq.

To be honest, the most frustrating aspect of the NBA media isn't even how much they hate the sport they cover. It's how they try to play GM for certain teams and push stars towards them. Literally the moment the Pelicans won the lottery a couple years ago, there was already "speculation" about when Zion would leave New Orleans. It's in very poor taste and detrimental to the sport.
Image
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 11,004
And1: 14,198
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1242 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:52 am

bondom34 wrote:Also this is an all timer of a way to lose a game.

Read on Twitter

I like the Hornets' broadcast crew. They always sound like they're having the most fun of anyone in the building.
Image
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 64,689
And1: 48,758
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1243 » by bondom34 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:58 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Also this is an all timer of a way to lose a game.

Read on Twitter

I like the Hornets' broadcast crew. They always sound like they're having the most fun of anyone in the building.

TBH at first I thought it was a bit much and overdramatic, but listening to them a little more and they've grown on me. Heard them in a clip of a dunk a few weeks ago and thought it was weird, but listened to a bit of the game toward the end and it was fun.

Weird but reminds me a little of when I first started tuning into Sixers games locally vs when they got better, and it was really cool to hear how excited announcers seemed just to call games that were really good. Adds a bit to the broadcast (especially if they're not homers which these guys didn't seem to be).
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Peregrine01
Starter
Posts: 2,280
And1: 1,937
Joined: Sep 12, 2012

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1244 » by Peregrine01 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:31 pm

Love Draymond but someone needs to check him about his BS.
User avatar
Basileus777
Head Coach
Posts: 7,445
And1: 1,738
Joined: Jul 13, 2007
Location: New Jersey
 

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1245 » by Basileus777 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:52 pm

Draymond cost his team a title with that same BS. If that didn't stop him, I don't see a random regular season game doing it.
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 11,004
And1: 14,198
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1246 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:34 am

James Harden is a disgrace to the sport of basketball.
Image
User avatar
StepBackCrack
Starter
Posts: 2,388
And1: 3,073
Joined: Jul 11, 2016
 

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1247 » by StepBackCrack » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:49 am

Bad call at the end but Harden is a basketball genius. Playmaking, scoring and even defending. Man is an offensive system by himself. Great game by him tonight. Nets continue to improve. Even with no KD out there, they did not look that terrible defensively. With KD, they will be even better obviously. They just need a slightly below-average/ or average defence that's all.
User avatar
eminence
General Manager
Posts: 8,659
And1: 5,311
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1248 » by eminence » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:56 am

Yeah, they're supposed to give out retroactive techs/fines for that level of flop, but never do.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17
User avatar
StepBackCrack
Starter
Posts: 2,388
And1: 3,073
Joined: Jul 11, 2016
 

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1249 » by StepBackCrack » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:06 am

Aren't the Nets supposed to be a trash defensive team? How come the Clippers can't get a comfortable win against them without KD there and at their home court? Clippers shouldn't rely on perfect officiating to beat KD-less Nets on their home court anyway. Even with a very close win, this doesn't reflect well on the Clippers.

Regarding the ending, Kawhi did push him off but I personally wouldn't call it against Kawhi still. It wasn't a significant push for me but refs disagreed obviously.
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 11,004
And1: 14,198
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1250 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:07 am

StepBackCrack wrote:Bad call at the end but Harden is a basketball genius. Playmaking, scoring and even defending. Man is an offensive system by himself. Great game by him tonight. Nets continue to improve. Even with no KD out there, they did not look that terrible defensively. With KD, they will be even better obviously. They just need a slightly below-average/ or average defence that's all.

"Genius" is one way to describe how Harden plays, I guess. I'd lean more towards "cowardice" or "cheating," personally.
Image
User avatar
StepBackCrack
Starter
Posts: 2,388
And1: 3,073
Joined: Jul 11, 2016
 

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1251 » by StepBackCrack » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:12 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
StepBackCrack wrote:Bad call at the end but Harden is a basketball genius. Playmaking, scoring and even defending. Man is an offensive system by himself. Great game by him tonight. Nets continue to improve. Even with no KD out there, they did not look that terrible defensively. With KD, they will be even better obviously. They just need a slightly below-average/ or average defence that's all.

"Genius" is one way to describe how Harden plays, I guess. I'd lean more towards "cowardice" or "cheating," personally.


Dude, I didn't even reply to you. I know you are a huge Harden hater so you can't be reasoned with. I'm not gonna waste my time here explaining why he is a basketball genius to you. Also, bad calls happen all the time and every top team benefits from them between now and then. And it's funny you focus on Harden and ignore Baveraly's dirty basketball play. Injuring opposing basketball players by dirty play is much worse than flopping as far as I'm concerned.
User avatar
GSP
RealGM
Posts: 12,180
And1: 6,503
Joined: Dec 12, 2011
     

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1252 » by GSP » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:17 am

StepBackCrack wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
StepBackCrack wrote:Bad call at the end but Harden is a basketball genius. Playmaking, scoring and even defending. Man is an offensive system by himself. Great game by him tonight. Nets continue to improve. Even with no KD out there, they did not look that terrible defensively. With KD, they will be even better obviously. They just need a slightly below-average/ or average defence that's all.

"Genius" is one way to describe how Harden plays, I guess. I'd lean more towards "cowardice" or "cheating," personally.


Dude, I didn't even reply to you. I know you are a huge Harden hater so you can't be reasoned with. I'm not gonna waste my time here explaining why he is a basketball genius to you. Also, bad calls happen all the time and every top team benefits from them between now and then. And it's funny you focus on Harden and ignore Baveraly's dirty basketball play. Injuring opposing basketball players by dirty play is much worse than flopping as far as I'm concerned.


Bev is one of the dirtiest players for sure but regarding Hardens play being cheating/cowardly......well the Clippers dont have much room to talk when they have Lou Williams :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 107,501
And1: 60,480
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Billy Crystals lap
 

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1253 » by Dupp » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:42 am

Harden had now been involved In two on the worst trades ever.


Anyway nets don’t even have kd right now. Are they gonna be beatable?
Neato wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for being a neato
User avatar
StepBackCrack
Starter
Posts: 2,388
And1: 3,073
Joined: Jul 11, 2016
 

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1254 » by StepBackCrack » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:37 am

Dupp wrote:Harden had now been involved In two on the worst trades ever.

Anyway nets don’t even have kd right now. Are they gonna be beatable?


I think probably only injuries could stand in their way. Even a Harris injury would be a big setback for the Nets imo. When healthy, their offence is just too good and when trying, they could manage a defence that is not the worst (below average but not by too much). Maybe going small won't work vs Sixers tho so I don't know but Sixers still will have to defend them as well.

And we still haven't seen them vs healthy Lakers. We still don't know how much AD changes the match-up but Nets obviously should love their chances. If I was a betting man, I would bet on them for sure but I never engage in sports betting. They are the best team to me. Lakers perhaps should make a move or two. Bring Tucker perhaps.
therealbig3
RealGM
Posts: 25,966
And1: 12,135
Joined: Jul 31, 2010

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1255 » by therealbig3 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:25 am

I'm obviously biased, but I saw a clear push-off/extension by Kawhi with his off hand on Harden...not enough to send him into the bleachers obviously, so it was definitely a flop...but it was also definitely an offensive foul imo. And if he didn't flop, the refs likely don't call the foul on Kawhi and the game is tied, and then the Nets may lose the game in OT.

Ultimately, Harden did what he needed to do to get his team the win, and it did look like the right call.
Statlanta
Head Coach
Posts: 6,099
And1: 4,332
Joined: Mar 06, 2016

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1256 » by Statlanta » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 am

Kawhi’s developed some bad habits from his Toronto days. Besides his load management and regressive and inconsistent defense he’s become the biggest push off player in the league. His fans though will blame it on his degenerative quad though.
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,730
And1: 1,347
Joined: May 18, 2012
 

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1257 » by NinjaSheppard » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:26 am

Is pushing off really a bad habit when you get away with it 99 percent of the time?
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
Posts: 18,052
And1: 14,006
Joined: Mar 08, 2012
     

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1258 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:46 am

NinjaSheppard wrote:Is pushing off really a bad habit when you get away with it 99 percent of the time?

Model your game after Jordan :wink:
limbo
Veteran
Posts: 2,655
And1: 2,474
Joined: Jun 30, 2019
 

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1259 » by limbo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:43 pm

The Bucks have now suddenly entered the Top 10 in DRtg... I guess Bud has figured out that others have figured him out?
therealbig3
RealGM
Posts: 25,966
And1: 12,135
Joined: Jul 31, 2010

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1260 » by therealbig3 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:06 am

limbo wrote:The Bucks have now suddenly entered the Top 10 in DRtg... I guess Bud has figured out that others have figured him out?


I think they happened to beat two terrible teams after a bad 5-game losing streak.

They can’t beat good teams this year. It’s a problem, whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Return to Player Comparisons