2020-21 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,586

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#5241 » by penbeast0 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:02 pm

Glad we finally got past the narrative of "Giannis is unplayable in the playoffs." Now if we can just lose it for Gobert, Simmons, etc. too. That and the ripping on Coach Bud who has been one of the better coaches in the league since his rookie year. Not everyone has to be a switchable 3 and D player; a good coach can design around truly great but flawed players.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,534

Post#5242 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:18 pm

Really impressed with the adjustments the Bucks made wrt playing Giannis. Turned the whole series around. The Nets/Bucks series would not have been close if they had been playing like this from the get-go.
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#5243 » by kayess » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:19 pm

Jaivl wrote:
kayess wrote:
Odinn21 wrote:Antetokoumpo's presence got to minds of Phoenix players real bad. I mean there were possessions in the 4th like Ayton would've dunked 99 out of 100 times but he didn't dare to look at the rim because Antetokounmpo was there, even he was off-position. Ayton just refused to try scoring. Then similar with Booker, and then similar with Paul.
The only player who wasn't afraid to attack the rim and create something was effing Crowder.
Phoenix players were rattled by sheer presence of Antetokounmpo. That's the sign of an insane defensive player.

I noticed this too. We see this a lot with Gobert, but I've never seen anything like it except... Game 6 of the 2016 Finals, when Draymond and Curry were pump faking bunnies, afraid that LeBron was gonna come and swat it (IIRC one of those was in transition!)

I mean, you haven't really been looking then. Gobert does that much more consistently, what Giannis did yesterday (defensively) is the norm for him.

I meant to say "in the Finals", but I thought that would be obvious anyway since I literally said "We see this a lot with Gobert", and right after I say something specifically about the Finals
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#5244 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:14 pm

Colbinii wrote:Harden summed it up perfectly.

"I wish I could be 7-feet, run and just dunk. That takes no skill at all," Harden said. "I gotta actually learn how to play basketball and how to have skill. I'll take that any day."

It's truer and truer every season.

Is it still truer and truer every season?

Read on Twitter
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,141

Post#5245 » by PaulieWal » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:19 pm

The GB is wild right now. So many posts with like 10-20 likes talking about how Giannis is much better than LeBron and KD and he's peaked higher than them already. Just amazing.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5246 » by PaulieWal » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:20 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

"I wish I could be 7-feet, run and just dunk. That takes no skill at all," Harden said. "I gotta actually learn how to play basketball and how to have skill. I'll take that any day."

Read on Twitter

Harden's quote looks even dumber in retrospect when his #1 skill is most likely ref baiting.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#5247 » by MisterHibachi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:22 pm

PaulieWal wrote:The GB is wild right now. So many posts with like 10-20 likes talking about how Giannis is much better than LeBron and KD and he's peaked higher than them already. Just amazing.

It's honestly getting so hard to find good basketball conversations online. The GB has been a toxic cesspool for years, reddit is becoming similar, and NBA Twitter is constantly horny for slandering players instead of celebrating them, and the regular media is worse than them all.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,568

Post#5248 » by Colbinii » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:25 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

Read on Twitter

It is truer and truer. Giannis added basketball skills and improved his skills and he won a title.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#5249 » by AussieBuck » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:26 pm

PaulieWal wrote:The GB is wild right now. So many posts with like 10-20 likes talking about how Giannis is much better than LeBron and KD and he's peaked higher than them already. Just amazing.

Anytime there's someone new to pretend to like to **** on someone else this happens, it's not like KD really has much fanbase, it's mostly just dudes hating on Lebron. In any case Giannis IS better than Durant and the only reason anyone thinks otherwise is because he hopped onto the Warriors team.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#5250 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:28 pm

Colbinii wrote:It is truer and truer. Giannis added basketball skills and improved his skills and he won a title.

Maybe Harden should try that instead of running it back for another year of the same flopping, matador defense, standing around off-ball, etc.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,088

Post#5251 » by Outside » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:58 pm

PaulieWal wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

Read on Twitter

Harden's quote looks even dumber in retrospect when his #1 skill is most likely ref baiting.

Well, Harden is insanely skilled. It just so happens that one of his skills is ref baiting. Still, he deserves blowback for such stupid comment, even if it was in response to Giannis being petty himself about who to choose for the all-star game. Harden set himself up to be a meme.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5252 » by PaulieWal » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:19 pm

Outside wrote:
PaulieWal wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Is it still truer and truer every season?

Read on Twitter

Well, Harden is insanely skilled. It just so happens that one of his skills is ref baiting. Still, he deserves blowback for such stupid comment, even if it was in response to Giannis being petty himself about who to choose for the all-star game. Harden set himself up to be a meme.

Yes, setting aside my Harden dislike he is a gifted passer and a good 1 on 1 scorer but also ref baiting is his #1 skill and I absolutely can't stand watching that.

*insert the gif of him jumping on MCW's back and getting a call*
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5253 » by PaulieWal » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:19 pm

AussieBuck wrote:

Anytime there's someone new to pretend to like to **** on someone else this happens, it's not like KD really has much fanbase, it's mostly just dudes hating on Lebron. In any case Giannis IS better than Durant and the only reason anyone thinks otherwise is because he hopped onto the Warriors team.

You can argue that Giannis is better than KD thought it's a tough argument but no way he's peaked higher than KD IMO.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,475

Post#5254 » by 70sFan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:24 pm

PaulieWal wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:

You can argue that Giannis is better than KD thought it's a tough argument but no way he's peaked higher than KD IMO.

Why not? He's much better defensive player and his offensive transformation made it at least interesting.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#5255 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:45 pm

PaulieWal wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:

I definitely have Giannis with a higher peak than KD. But understand I think KD's efficient volume scoring overstates his actual impact so I'm slightly lower on him than most. Not saying he's not a great player and certainly one of the best scorers the world has ever known. But the way he scores doesn't create the kind of opportunities for role players around him to flourish and play above their median level.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,966

Post#5256 » by falcolombardi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:46 pm

AussieBuck wrote:

the circlejerk is at peak right now lol, once the emotional high wears off it will be easier to discuss this championship and giannis

also

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,088

Post#5257 » by Outside » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:55 pm

PaulieWal wrote:Yes, setting aside my Harden dislike he is a gifted passer and a good 1 on 1 scorer but also ref baiting is his #1 skill and I absolutely can't stand watching that.

*insert the gif of him jumping on MCW's back and getting a call*

Just to be clear, I absolutely hate ref baiting. HATE it. I have disliked Harden because of it. I was appreciating Paul George this postseason until it became clear to me that foul hunting was a regular part of his game, sweeping his arms under the defender's outstretched arm in a completely unnatural attempt at a shooting motion. Add in Beverly and Morris, and I was glad to see the Clips go down.

HATE it. It's a scourge on the league. It is so frustrating that refs reward them for it.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,579

Post#5258 » by parsnips33 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:57 pm

Let's appreciate what Giannis just did without immediately having to throw him in relief against Lebron, Harden, KD etc. I mean I know this is the "Player Comparison" board but what a joyless way to talk about what was a truly special series and playoff run by Giannis and the rest of the Bucks team
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#5259 » by bondom34 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:01 pm

parsnips33 wrote:Let's appreciate what Giannis just did without immediately having to throw him in relief against Lebron, Harden, KD etc. I mean I know this is the "Player Comparison" board but what a joyless way to talk about what was a truly special series and playoff run by Giannis and the rest of the Bucks team

"Comparison is the thief of joy."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Its why I've backed away from some discussion myself. Sometimes I just want to enjoy how awesome that was without immediately jumping to a large scale conclusion, or even any conclusion.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
KTM_2813
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#5260 » by KTM_2813 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:40 pm

parsnips33 wrote:Let's appreciate what Giannis just did without immediately having to throw him in relief against Lebron, Harden, KD etc. I mean I know this is the "Player Comparison" board but what a joyless way to talk about what was a truly special series and playoff run by Giannis and the rest of the Bucks team

I'm personally most excited for the "Does Giannis secretly suck because he's not scalable?" thread that will inevitably appear in the next two months. :lol:
sansterre wrote:The success of a star's season is:

Individual performance + Teammate performance - Opposition +/- Luck

Return to Player Comparisons