Who is a better finisher than LeBron?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Re: Who is a better finisher than LeBron? 

Post#61 » by MyUniBroDavis » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:13 am

Samurai wrote:What is the definition of a great finisher? Seems to me that finishers often get fouled in the act of finishing. If you are being considered the greatest of all time, you should a) never get fouled and nearly always make a basket instead, b) get an and-one out of it and nearly always convert the three point play, or c) nearly always make both free throws. Judging by some of the names being tossed out as the GOAT finisher, I assume others have not seen finishers get fouled as I have or for the purposes of this discussion, they are always credited with two points even if they don't get a basket and don't make both free throws. Indeed what made some finishers so great was an uncanny ability to draw a whistle and make both free throws more than other players.

free throw% shouldnt have anything to do with how good a finisher someone is though lol
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,894

Post#62 » by Samurai » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:24 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Samurai wrote:What is the definition of a great finisher? Seems to me that finishers often get fouled in the act of finishing. If you are being considered the greatest of all time, you should a) never get fouled and nearly always make a basket instead, b) get an and-one out of it and nearly always convert the three point play, or c) nearly always make both free throws. Judging by some of the names being tossed out as the GOAT finisher, I assume others have not seen finishers get fouled as I have or for the purposes of this discussion, they are always credited with two points even if they don't get a basket and don't make both free throws. Indeed what made some finishers so great was an uncanny ability to draw a whistle and make both free throws more than other players.

free throw% shouldnt have anything to do with how good a finisher someone is though lol

OK thanks, that's what I wasn't sure of. So efficiency based on points per finish is clearly not relevant to a good finisher. Always good to be clear on how people are defining these terms.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,667

Post#63 » by nzahir » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:47 am

Giannis is great at finishing in the rim, but when a good team has a scheme against him in the playoffs, we have seen him have a much tougher time scoring.

When the pace is slow and not just a ton of fast breaks, Giannis is less effective.

Lebron, Shaq, younger MJ?
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#64 » by MyUniBroDavis » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:00 am

Samurai wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:

OK thanks, that's what I wasn't sure of. So efficiency based on points per finish is clearly not relevant to a good finisher. Always good to be clear on how people are defining these terms.

I cant tell if your being sarcastic or not lol, but i mean if a guy is the goat finisher but a 20% free throw shooter he might not be the most effective finisher ever but hes by defintion the goat finisher
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#65 » by penbeast0 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:22 am

I hadn't thought of Samurai's point but it's an interesting way of looking at it. I think most people certainly include the idea of finishing through contact but not really drawing a foul without making the shot. But, as he says, if the idea of finishing is to generate points, then drawing and making foul shots on a finish would certainly be relevant. I defer to the OP to tell us what he was looking for.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,894

Post#66 » by Samurai » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:22 am

penbeast0 wrote:I hadn't thought of Samurai's point but it's an interesting way of looking at it. I think most people certainly include the idea of finishing through contact but not really drawing a foul without making the shot. But, as he says, if the idea of finishing is to generate points, then drawing and making foul shots on a finish would certainly be relevant. I defer to the OP to tell us what he was looking for.

Correct, which is why I was unsure of what the definition of a "better finisher" is in this thread. For some, it comes down to who is best at putting points on the board, which not only takes into account how good they are at converting at the rim, but also their ability to draw fouls (I'm assuming that takes FTr into account) and turn said free throws into points (again assuming that looks at FT%). My guess is that those who define great finishers as those who are best at producing the most points per finish (similar concept to points per possession) since wins and losses tend to be determined by which team has the most points and not which team was the most aesthetically pleasing to watch. UniBroDavis clarified it for me.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#67 » by ShotCreator » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:36 am

70sFan wrote:
ShotCreator wrote:HM to Dwight Howard and surely somebody from the 80’s I don’t know enough about.

A-Train ;)

Exactly the kind of thing I assumed.

Guy did ~ 70 TS% on volume in what seemed to be a second prime. Holy Jesus.

I can’t believe I didn’t know much about him as a player until now.
Swinging for the fences.
asindc
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#68 » by asindc » Fri Dec 4, 2020 12:56 am

DQuinn1575 wrote:Image

Exactly.
Though Dr. J, Darnell Hillman, and Artis Gilmore's fros got most of the attention, George C. Trapp's fro should be noted for its bouncy qualities.

Return to Player Comparisons