Peak: Barkley vs. Durant

Moderators: Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal, Quotatious, Clyde Frazier, trex_8063

Sublime187
Rookie
Posts: 1,077
And1: 938
Joined: Dec 17, 2013

Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#1 » by Sublime187 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:47 pm

Who do you guys have as the higher peak between Barkley and KD?
No-more-rings
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,101
And1: 2,107
Joined: Oct 04, 2018

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#2 » by No-more-rings » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:21 pm

I'd favor KD slightly, but i think Barkley probably takes overall prime for durability and more postseason consistency.
Cavsfansince84
Head Coach
Posts: 7,386
And1: 5,671
Joined: Jun 13, 2017
   

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#3 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:56 am

Is this just for a rs, a ps run, a playoff series or rs+ps? Personally I think KD may have peaked higher for a rs in 2014 by a slim margin but I think Barkley probably peaked higher in the playoffs. KD's gs numbers are a bit skewered imo. I think if I need a guy to lead my team into a playoff series as the #1 guy I would pick peak Chuck between the two.
Odinn21
Starter
Posts: 2,182
And1: 1,606
Joined: May 19, 2019
   

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#4 » by Odinn21 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:06 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:Is this just for a rs, a ps run, a playoff series or rs+ps? Personally I think KD may have peaked higher for a rs in 2014 by a slim margin but I think Barkley probably peaked higher in the playoffs. KD's gs numbers are a bit skewered imo. I think if I need a guy to lead my team into a playoff series as the #1 guy I would pick peak Chuck between the two.

It's usually a single season (whole season, rs+ps) about peak.

I'd take 1990 Barkley over 2014 or 2016 Durant. It's also worth noting that I think Barkley's average prime quality was better. It's not just 1990 for him as if it was McGrady's 2003, an outlier. From 1989 to 1993, with 1992 being a down season, he was constantly on that level for 4 seasons. He wasn't far off in 1988 as well, but I'm usually hesitant with only rs season when it comes to peaks and primes.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
Cavsfansince84
Head Coach
Posts: 7,386
And1: 5,671
Joined: Jun 13, 2017
   

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#5 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:12 am

Odinn21 wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:Is this just for a rs, a ps run, a playoff series or rs+ps? Personally I think KD may have peaked higher for a rs in 2014 by a slim margin but I think Barkley probably peaked higher in the playoffs. KD's gs numbers are a bit skewered imo. I think if I need a guy to lead my team into a playoff series as the #1 guy I would pick peak Chuck between the two.

It's usually a single season (whole season, rs+ps) about peak.

I'd take 1990 Barkley over 2014 or 2016 Durant. It's also worth noting that I think Barkley's average prime quality was better. It's not just 1990 for him as if it was McGrady's 2003, an outlier. From 1989 to 1993, with 1992 being a down season, he was constantly on that level for 4 seasons. He wasn't far off in 1988 as well, but I'm usually hesitant with only rs season when it comes to peaks and primes.


That's more or less how I feel regarding these two. Also, it often is used that way but the problem is how rarely a guy's best rs will line up with his best ps. So I think it leaves a degree of vagueness in terms of what we actually consider a peak to be. Its easier if someone will actually name the season they want to be debated imo if that's how they want it to be used.
Drygon
Starter
Posts: 2,261
And1: 3,955
Joined: Dec 18, 2018

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#6 » by Drygon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:29 pm

Charles Barkley was a fantastic, but 2017 KD blows him out of the water.

Anyone who argues Barkley for having a higher peak is trolling.
Lost92Bricks
Starter
Posts: 2,060
And1: 1,943
Joined: Jul 16, 2013

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#7 » by Lost92Bricks » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:58 pm

Drygon wrote:Charles Barkley was a fantastic, but 2017 KD blows him out of the water.

Anyone who argues Barkley for having a higher peak is trolling.

lol what an overexaggeration. Nobody blows Barkley "out of the water". He was a dominant MVP-level, all-time great just like KD was. They are in the same tier.

Barkley actually was blowing the rest of the NBA out of the water in scoring efficiency during his peak years. He was unstoppable in the paint and on the boards.
freethedevil
Head Coach
Posts: 6,540
And1: 2,960
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#8 » by freethedevil » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:56 am

Lost92Bricks wrote:
Drygon wrote:Charles Barkley was a fantastic, but 2017 KD blows him out of the water.

Anyone who argues Barkley for having a higher peak is trolling.

lol what an overexaggeration. Nobody blows Barkley "out of the water". He was a dominant MVP-level, all-time great just like KD was. They are in the same tier.

:/
That both won mvp does not disprove there was a wide disparity in quality. ow there probablly wasn't, but "they'r eboth all time greates, they're both dominant mvp-level" tells us absoltely nothing.
User avatar
Laimbeer
RealGM
Posts: 34,083
And1: 10,091
Joined: Aug 12, 2009
Location: Cabin Creek

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#9 » by Laimbeer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:40 pm

If I take this as who helps win a title, I don't see an argument for Barkley. If you're looking at raw ability, tools, and stats, maybe Barkley.
Odinn21
Starter
Posts: 2,182
And1: 1,606
Joined: May 19, 2019
   

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#10 » by Odinn21 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:00 pm

Laimbeer wrote:If I take this as who helps win a title, I don't see an argument for Barkley. If you're looking at raw ability, tools, and stats, maybe Barkley.

How did Durant perform well enough to earn such argument other than joining an already historic team?
If Durant was good at winning a title in the way you put, he would do better in OKC and wouldn't feel the need to join the Warriors.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
mhd
General Manager
Posts: 8,102
And1: 612
Joined: Mar 25, 2004

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#11 » by mhd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:52 pm

Laimbeer wrote:If I take this as who helps win a title, I don't see an argument for Barkley. If you're looking at raw ability, tools, and stats, maybe Barkley.



I don't know. Barkley was a GOAT rebounder (that translates anywhere) and played with such ferocity. If Portland drafts Barkley instead of Bowie, they become a dynasty.
DQuinn1575
Rookie
Posts: 1,038
And1: 344
Joined: Feb 20, 2014

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#12 » by DQuinn1575 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:29 pm

freethedevil wrote:
Lost92Bricks wrote:
Drygon wrote:Charles Barkley was a fantastic, but 2017 KD blows him out of the water.

Anyone who argues Barkley for having a higher peak is trolling.

lol what an overexaggeration. Nobody blows Barkley "out of the water". He was a dominant MVP-level, all-time great just like KD was. They are in the same tier.

:/
That both won mvp does not disprove there was a wide disparity in quality. ow there probablly wasn't, but "they'r eboth all time greates, they're both dominant mvp-level" tells us absoltely nothing.

It’s tiring when people throw insults out at people rather than giving an opinion based on facts. Both players will be ranked in the 20s all-time- debate that in the top 100 section- and both won mvp over what most people consider one of the two greatest players of all time. If someone really believes that there is absolutely no basis to choose either one over the other, and expresses that opinion in an insulting way, then it is really a waste of my time to respond any more.
limbo
Starter
Posts: 2,154
And1: 1,950
Joined: Jun 30, 2019
 

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#13 » by limbo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 pm

I would lean towards Durant, i value his shooting/scoring advantage over Barkley's rebounding advantage. But i think rebounding was more valuable when Barkley played, so there's that.

I see them as same tier players, so i'm fine either way.
Lost92Bricks
Starter
Posts: 2,060
And1: 1,943
Joined: Jul 16, 2013

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#14 » by Lost92Bricks » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:11 pm

freethedevil wrote::/
That both won mvp does not disprove there was a wide disparity in quality. ow there probablly wasn't, but "they'r eboth all time greates, they're both dominant mvp-level" tells us absoltely nothing.

Okay then look at them from an analytical point of view. Still similar.

Barkley was averaging like 28/12 shooting close to 60% from the field. He was ridiculous.

And Barkley didn't just win MVP, he won it over MJ and Hakeem during their primes.
freethedevil
Head Coach
Posts: 6,540
And1: 2,960
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#15 » by freethedevil » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:57 pm

DQuinn1575 wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
Lost92Bricks wrote:lol what an overexaggeration. Nobody blows Barkley "out of the water". He was a dominant MVP-level, all-time great just like KD was. They are in the same tier.

:/
That both won mvp does not disprove there was a wide disparity in quality. ow there probablly wasn't, but "they'r eboth all time greates, they're both dominant mvp-level" tells us absoltely nothing.

It’s tiring when people throw insults out at people rather than giving an opinion based on facts. literaly no one threw out insults and everything you said was an opinion so..... Both players will be ranked in the 20s all-time- debate that in the top 100 section- and both won mvp over what most people consider one of the two greatest players of all time. amazing you're listing a prediction of future opinoins. Incredible.If someone really believes that there is absolutely no basis to choose either one over the other, and expresses that opinion in an insulting way, then it is really a waste of my time to respond any more.now see this is the closest anyone's come in this thread to an insult.

User avatar
Laimbeer
RealGM
Posts: 34,083
And1: 10,091
Joined: Aug 12, 2009
Location: Cabin Creek

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#16 » by Laimbeer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:00 pm

Odinn21 wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:If I take this as who helps win a title, I don't see an argument for Barkley. If you're looking at raw ability, tools, and stats, maybe Barkley.

How did Durant perform well enough to earn such argument other than joining an already historic team?
If Durant was good at winning a title in the way you put, he would do better in OKC and wouldn't feel the need to join the Warriors.


Would OKC been better with Barkley? Would GSW have been better with Barkley? It's subjective, but I think the answer to both is no.
freethedevil
Head Coach
Posts: 6,540
And1: 2,960
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#17 » by freethedevil » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:00 pm

Lost92Bricks wrote:
freethedevil wrote::/
That both won mvp does not disprove there was a wide disparity in quality. ow there probablly wasn't, but "they'r eboth all time greates, they're both dominant mvp-level" tells us absoltely nothing.

Okay then look at them from an analytical point of view. Still similar.
is that what we're calling 'look who he won mvp over, fg percentage+ppg/rebounds? You don't even bother attempting a comparison here.
Barkley was averaging like 28/12 shooting close to 60% from the field. He was ridiculous.
Westbrook had a triple double ridiculous
And Barkley didn't just win MVP, he won it over MJ and Hakeem during their primes.
Westbrook won mvp over lebron, curry, durant, kawhi, and harden in their primes.
freethedevil
Head Coach
Posts: 6,540
And1: 2,960
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#18 » by freethedevil » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:01 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Odinn21 wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:If I take this as who helps win a title, I don't see an argument for Barkley. If you're looking at raw ability, tools, and stats, maybe Barkley.

How did Durant perform well enough to earn such argument other than joining an already historic team?
If Durant was good at winning a title in the way you put, he would do better in OKC and wouldn't feel the need to join the Warriors.


Would OKC been better with Barkley? Would GSW have been better with Barkley? It's subjective, but I think the answer to both is no.

Assuming that we're doing things relative to era, barkley probably has a strong argument for doing better in okc, at least in the playoffs.
DQuinn1575
Rookie
Posts: 1,038
And1: 344
Joined: Feb 20, 2014

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#19 » by DQuinn1575 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:13 am

freethedevil wrote:
DQuinn1575 wrote:
freethedevil wrote::/
..[/b] Both players will be ranked in the 20s all-time- debate that in the top 100 section- and both won mvp over what most people consider one of the two greatest players of all time. amazing you're listing a prediction of future opinoins. Incredible.

[/b]


2020 List
1. LeBron James
2. Michael Jordan
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Tim Duncan
6. Wilt Chamberlain
7. Magic Johnson
8. Shaquille O'Neal
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Larry Bird
11. Kevin Garnett
12. Kobe Bryant
13. Jerry West
14. Oscar Robertson
15. Dirk Nowitzki
16. Karl Malone
17. David Robinson
18. Julius Erving
19. George Mikan
20. Moses Malone
21. Charles Barkley
22. Kevin Durant
migya
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,318
And1: 421
Joined: Aug 13, 2005

Re: Peak: Barkley vs. Durant 

Post#20 » by migya » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:19 am

Laimbeer wrote:If I take this as who helps win a title, I don't see an argument for Barkley. If you're looking at raw ability, tools, and stats, maybe Barkley.


No validity this statement. Barkley wasmuch better than anyone on his Phoenix team in 1993 and they had good chance to beat the Bulls while Westbrook was already a superstar level player and performing in 2012 better than anyone else on that Phoenix team.

It also took an incredible performance by Utah in the WCF in 1997 and a great series winning shot to stop Barkley and the Rockets with three old stars from gong to the finals.

Durant been really good but Barkley did more with a little less. If Durant could lead his current Nets to a championship, with their current roster, then he maybe moves ahead of Barkley and finally shows he is outright great by winning it all by being without doubt the best player on his team but not having the best team.

Return to Player Comparisons