Better team: CWebb/Peja Kings or KD/Westbrook Thunder?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

colts18
Head Coach
And1: 3,237

Better team: CWebb/Peja Kings or KD/Westbrook Thunder? 

Post#1 » by colts18 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:16 am

Which team do yall think is better?

Kings:
Bibby
Christie
Peja
Webber
Divac

Thunder:
Westbrook
Roberson
Durant
Ibaka
Adams
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,973

Re: Better team: CWebb/Peja Kings or KD/Westbrook Thunder? 

Post#2 » by RCM88x » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:28 am

What years?

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
colts18
Head Coach
And1: 3,237

Post#3 » by colts18 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:37 am

RCM88x wrote:What years?

The best version of each team: 2002 Kings vs 2016 Thunder
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,414

Post#4 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:01 am

The Thunder are the better team to me.

They have the 2 best players in the series and good role players too.

In a series, I think the Kings match-up horribly with them.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,255

Post#5 » by heezyo2o » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Thunder have the best player, but the Kings were a better team. Think of it this way....do you think that thunder team could take the Kobe/Shaq Lakers to 7 games
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,678

Post#6 » by limbo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:37 pm

heezyo2o wrote:Thunder have the best player, but the Kings were a better team. Think of it this way....do you think that thunder team could take the Kobe/Shaq Lakers to 7 games

The Thunder took the Steph/Dray/Klay 73-win Warriors to 7 games... how about you think of it this way?
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Post#7 » by Jordan Syndrome » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:17 pm

heezyo2o wrote:Thunder have the best player, but the Kings were a better team. Think of it this way....do you think that thunder team could take the Kobe/Shaq Lakers to 7 games

They took a better team to 7 games and were up 3-2 as well...
Bigfactsstackz
Pro Prospect
And1: 951

Post#8 » by Bigfactsstackz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:08 pm

limbo wrote:

The Thunder took the Steph/Dray/Klay 73-win Warriors to 7 games... how about you think of it this way?

The lakers were better then that warriors team
limbo
Veteran

Post#9 » by limbo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:17 pm

Bigfactsstackz wrote:
limbo wrote:

lmao, ok.

Timmy D was clapping those Lakers with a prepubescent Tony Parker and 37-year old David Robinson as his best players.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#10 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:26 pm

That Thunder team also beat a 68 win Spurs team. The Lakers in 02 were still good but any team going for a third straight title isn't going to be quite the same imo.
Bigfactsstackz
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by Bigfactsstackz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:27 pm

limbo wrote:
Bigfactsstackz wrote:
limbo wrote:

lmao, ok.

Timmy D was clapping those Lakers with a prepubescent Tony Parker and 37-year old David Robinson as his best players.

So? I’m a spurs fan and we still lost to that lakers team in 5.. .I just don’t view those pre KD warrior teams to be all that special when it comes to playoff ball.
Bigfactsstackz
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by Bigfactsstackz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:30 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:That Thunder team also beat a 68 win Spurs team. The Lakers in 02 were still good but any team going for a third straight title isn't going to be quite the same imo.

True , but imo the thunder won that series due to pops horrible coaching decisions smh Matching Boris diaw and David west against Kanter and Adams was literally suicide and the refs in game 5 of that series were truly awful.,
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,505

Post#13 » by 70sFan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:41 pm

limbo wrote:
Bigfactsstackz wrote:
limbo wrote:

lmao, ok.

Duncan in 2002 is one of the greatest players ever at his absolute peak. It says more about Duncan's greatness than Lakers weaknesses.

When James dominates Warriors in a losing effort it's all about how James is the GOAT, but when Duncan did the same against 2002 Lakers then it shows their weaknesses. I love double standards...
Bigfactsstackz
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by Bigfactsstackz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:42 pm

70sFan wrote:
limbo wrote:
Bigfactsstackz wrote:

lmao, ok.

Duncan in 2002 is one of the greatest players ever at his absolute peak. It says more about Duncan's greatness than Lakers weaknesses.

When James dominates Warriors in a losing effort it's all about how James is the GOAT, but when Duncan did the same against 2002 Lakers then it shows their weaknesses. I love double standards...

Gotta love them :lol:
limbo
Veteran

Post#15 » by limbo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:00 pm

Bigfactsstackz wrote:So? I’m a spurs fan and we still lost to that lakers team in 5.. .I just don’t view those pre KD warrior teams to be all that special when it comes to playoff ball.

You're delusional... The pre-KD Warriors had a 140-24 record over two seasons with one title and one Finals appearance. The only time they struggled in the Playoffs was against the Thunder in 2016 (a better team than any the Lakers faced during their threepeat) and the Cavs in the Finals the same year. And had a lot to due with Curry battling injuries in the 2016 Playoffs that clearly limited him (as well as Draymond getting suspended for a game in the Finals while LeBron/Kyrie were popping off)...

The Lakers were healthy and struggled against clearly weaker teams, i.e. Portland in 2000, Kings in 2002 (playing w/o Peja essentially) and lost 4-1 in 2003 to Duncan and prepubescent Parker and 37-year old D-Rob... The 2016 Spurs team with prime Kawhi, prime LMA, and Parker, Ginobili, Duncan, Danny Green, Mills, Diaw, West as role players the Thunder beat in the Playoffs was FAR better than the 2003 Spurs that Shaq/Kobe lost to...

People thinking the 2001 NBA Playoffs where Kobe was playing like the best player in the league and Fisher was crazy efficient while they dominated a Rasheed Wallace led Portland team, pre-Bibby Kings and a Spurs team that collapsed in epic proportion, cements the Kobe/Shaq Lakers as the GOAT team are deluded.

At their peak they were definitely one of the best teams ever, but comparing them to the Warriors level of consistency/dominance relative to competition is delusional.
limbo
Veteran

Post#16 » by limbo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:11 pm

70sFan wrote:Duncan in 2002 is one of the greatest players ever at his absolute peak. It says more about Duncan's greatness than Lakers weaknesses.

LeBron needed Kyrie to average 27 ppg, Curry to be banged up and play below his level, Draymond to be suspended for one game and arguably the greatest 3-game stretch in Playoff history and still managed to squeak a 4-3 victory by one posssession.

If the Lakers were a better team than those Warriors than Duncan is the GOAT bar none. Because the dude beat those Lakers 4-2 with arguably a worse cast and did so by averaging less points, less assists, less steals, less blocks per game than LeBron, and about equal in rebounds...

I rate Duncan very highly as a player, but i'm not talking about Duncan with Spurs fan on this board anymore. They think he's the 2nd coming of Jesus and the early 00's was the greatest era in basketball history.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,973

Post#17 » by RCM88x » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:34 pm

Thunder are a lot better imo, however their best version was 2013, WB just got hurt. They were a 60 win, 9 SRS team, one of the best of the 21st century.

All that being said, the 2016 Thunder were better than any Kings team, I don't really feel like the Kings matchup well either Ibaka would be great in Webber, KD would give Peja issues too.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,220

Post#18 » by Statlanta » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 pm

Rick Adelman >>> Scott Brooks/Billy Donovan.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,505

Post#19 » by 70sFan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:16 am

limbo wrote:If the Lakers were a better team than those Warriors than Duncan is the GOAT bar none. Because the dude beat those Lakers 4-2 with arguably a worse cast

1. I didn't say Lakers were better than Warriors.
2. Duncan didn't beat 2002 Lakers.

I rate Duncan very highly as a player, but i'm not talking about Duncan with Spurs fan on this board anymore. They think he's the 2nd coming of Jesus and the early 00's was the greatest era in basketball history.

Funny thing coming from a man who treat James almost religiously,

Seriously, when did I act like Duncan was 2nd coming of Jesus or that the early 2000s was the greatest era in basketball history? You won't be talking about Duncan with me because you can't handle any credible arguments and instead you try to hyperbolize my points to stupid degree. In my long history on this board (and I'm here for much longer than you) I've never said that early 2000s was the best era of basketball and I never called Duncan a GOAT peak player, even though he's by far my favorite player ever. If anything, a lot of things like that are coming from you acting how super-duper basketball is now and how teams didn't know how to play in different eras and how much better James is than the rest. Don't be a hypocrite...
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#20 » by Drygon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:41 am

limbo wrote:

Regular season record doesn't tell how good a team actually is in playoffs :lol:

By your logic, I guess any KD Warriors is worse than 2016 GSW?

Jordan Syndrome wrote:

They took a better team to 7 games and were up 3-2 as well...

Wrong.

2002 Lakers have 38th highest Playoff SRS (9.44) among 148 BAA/NBA Finalists since 1947.

For comparison, 2016 GSW has 58th highest Playoff SRS...

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1977066

RCM88x wrote:Thunder are a lot better imo, however their best version was 2013, WB just got hurt. They were a 60 win, 9 SRS team, one of the best of the 21st century.

All that being said, the 2016 Thunder were better than any Kings team, I don't really feel like the Kings matchup well either Ibaka would be great in Webber, KD would give Peja issues too.

Unfortunately, I can't find Playoff SRS for teams who missed out NBA Finals.

But 2002 Kings had better SRS than 2016 Thunder in regular season at least.

Return to Player Comparisons