Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Re: Sansterre's Top 100 Teams, #52-55, 1964 BOS, 2008 BOS, 2005 PHO, 2010 LAL 

Post#21 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:58 am

Strepbacter wrote:
sansterre wrote:I made clear out of the gate that the comps were merely attempts to ballpark similar player seasons with offensive box score metrics, and that they were inherently flawed. You have to admit, both players took a ton of shots and made them at league average (and assisted on about a quarter of their teammates' makes); the two (within the limits of offensive box score stats) are fairly similar (+3.9 OBPM and +3.3 OBPM). Of course, you rightly point out that RAPM makes clear that Kobe was considerably better than DeRozan, and that's fine. To crank out these comps without spending 5-10 minutes per player, I needed a way to turn it into a quick formula and that leads to comps that work sometimes and are off sometimes. I did end up retiring them for a reason.

Thanks for showing us how crappy your formula is. Demar isn't in the same universe even when we're talking reg season, but at least you admitted that Bryant was considerably better.

Kobe isn't an inefficient scorer in the context of the league as a whole. Shooting about 2.5% above average on massive volume is certainly a valuable skill. His inefficiency is only relative to other players traditionally considered great scorers. I don't doubt that I wasn't clear when communicating on this matter.

Yeah, no. It's funny how you people keep making this point when people call out your blatant falsehoods concerning Bryant. He's not "inefficient" in any sense of the world and there plenty of great scorers who were clearly less efficient (T-Mac, Barry, Melo, Wilkins, etc). Going by this nonsense, Jordan was inefficient relative to other players traditionally considered great scorers (Durant, Curry), but you people never make that type of point...only with Bryant. Oh, and being patronizing isn't going help your points, but nice try.

Thanks for reading and your feedback!

You're very welcome, buddy.

Personal attacks are not allowed on this board.
JOVA
Ballboy
And1: 55

Post#22 » by JOVA » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:58 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Strepbacter wrote:
sansterre wrote:I made clear out of the gate that the comps were merely attempts to ballpark similar player seasons with offensive box score metrics, and that they were inherently flawed. You have to admit, both players took a ton of shots and made them at league average (and assisted on about a quarter of their teammates' makes); the two (within the limits of offensive box score stats) are fairly similar (+3.9 OBPM and +3.3 OBPM). Of course, you rightly point out that RAPM makes clear that Kobe was considerably better than DeRozan, and that's fine. To crank out these comps without spending 5-10 minutes per player, I needed a way to turn it into a quick formula and that leads to comps that work sometimes and are off sometimes. I did end up retiring them for a reason.

Thanks for showing us how crappy your formula is. Demar isn't in the same universe even when we're talking reg season, but at least you admitted that Bryant was considerably better.

Kobe isn't an inefficient scorer in the context of the league as a whole. Shooting about 2.5% above average on massive volume is certainly a valuable skill. His inefficiency is only relative to other players traditionally considered great scorers. I don't doubt that I wasn't clear when communicating on this matter.

Yeah, no. It's funny how you people keep making this point when people call out your blatant falsehoods concerning Bryant. He's not "inefficient" in any sense of the world and there plenty of great scorers who were clearly less efficient (T-Mac, Barry, Melo, Wilkins, etc). Going by this nonsense, Jordan was inefficient relative to other players traditionally considered great scorers (Durant, Curry), but you people never make that type of point...only with Bryant. Oh, and being patronizing isn't going help your points, but nice try.

Thanks for reading and your feedback!

You're very welcome, buddy.

Personal attacks are not allowed on this board.

These might be my two favourite posters on this entire board.

On the one hand I have a lot of comments to make about this project that I will do in a separate post because I appreciate the work that went into this project.

On the other hand I appreciate streps posts as well, because he is the unquestioned best defender of Kobe Bryant stats on this board.

So with all that said, I would like to know what specifically he or she said that was a personal attack in their post towards San? I have re-read it three times and perhaps my reading comprehension is not correct but it seems as though all of his attacks are to do specifically with the actual content of the post and not about the individual personally. He may be making his points pompously, but that's still not an attack on a person from an individual standpoint.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,166

Post#23 » by AdagioPace » Sat May 1, 2021 10:08 am

I'm not surprised about this level of triggering (see my comment in december). I'm actually shocked it happened with 4+ months latency :lol:
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes

Return to Player Comparisons