RealGM 2020 Top 100 Project: #34 (John Havlicek)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

RealGM 2020 Top 100 Project: #34 (John Havlicek) 

Post#1 » by trex_8063 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:14 am

2020 List
1. LeBron James
2. Michael Jordan
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Tim Duncan
6. Wilt Chamberlain
7. Magic Johnson
8. Shaquille O'Neal
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Larry Bird
11. Kevin Garnett
12. Kobe Bryant
13. Jerry West
14. Oscar Robertson
15. Dirk Nowitzki
16. Karl Malone
17. David Robinson
18. Julius Erving
19. George Mikan
20. Moses Malone
21. Charles Barkley
22. Kevin Durant
23. Chris Paul
24. Stephen Curry
25. Bob Pettit
26. John Stockton
27. Steve Nash
28. Dwyane Wade
29. Patrick Ewing
30. Walt Frazier
31. James Harden
32. Scottie Pippen
33. Elgin Baylor
34. ???

Will look to end this one around 9pm EST on Tuesday.

Spoiler:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:.

Ambrose wrote:.

Baski wrote:.

bidofo wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

Cavsfansince84 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

DQuinn1575 wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dutchball97 wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

eminence wrote:.

Franco wrote:.

Gregoire wrote:.

Hal14 wrote:.

HeartBreakKid wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

iggymcfrack wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

Joey Wheeler wrote:.

Jordan Syndrome wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

lebron3-14-3 wrote:.

limbo wrote:.

Magic Is Magic wrote:.

Matzer wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Odinn21 wrote:.

Owly wrote:.

O_6 wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

PistolPeteJR wrote:.

RSCD3_ wrote:.

[quote=”sansterre”].[/quote]
Senior wrote:.

SeniorWalker wrote:.

SHAQ32 wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

Tim Lehrbach wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

Whopper_Sr wrote:.

ZeppelinPage wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

876Stephen wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
DQuinn1575
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Re: RealGM 2020 Top 100 Project: #34 

Post#2 » by DQuinn1575 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:28 am

Halicek led 3 championship teams in playoff win shares, and had years in the top of the league in scoring, passing, and defense (multiple years all-defense).
Great clutch player, not only did he steal the ball, but watch Game 6 of the 74 series with the Bucks. Tireless. A great athlete, almost made the Cleveland Browns in pro
football.

Rick Barry carried maybe the worst starting lineup to a championship. He also led a team to take 2 wins in the finals against one of the best teams of all-time.
Besides his scoring skills, he was an excellent passer. Not a defensive star, but held his own on that side of the court. Probably peaked better than Havlicek, but didnt
have the longevity.

I'm taking George Gervin at the 3 spot, but may change my mind by the time two more selections get made. Underrated peak, he was best guard in league from Frazier in 73 unti Magic in 82 or 83.
Near mvp level, and an unstoppable scorer. Underrated a bit on defense, as we wasn't as bad as he gets blamed for - team played at a faster tempo when people thought points
allowed meant defense.

1. Havlicek
2. Barry
3. Gervin
Magic Is Magic
Senior
And1: 503

Post#3 » by Magic Is Magic » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:01 am

Placing my Vote for #34

1. Jason Kidd
2. Kawhi Leonard
3. Bob Cousy

1. Jason Kidd: #2 all time in regular season assists and #4 all time in playoff assists. #2 all time in regular season steals and #7 all time in playoff steals. Amazing resume and career work of art right there alone. Very Stocktonesque in this regard. He was top 3 in assists for 8x seasons and was top 5 13x total. He never was an MVP winner but he did get top 5 in MVP voting two times. Ultimately his ability to do it all (pass, score, rebound, defend) aka rack up those triple doubles at a high level with great longevity is why it's hard to put many above him at this point. His individual career achievements are 100% above what anyone else left has to compare against. #2 in regular season assists and steals all time is huge just by itself, not to mention his playoff standings in both categories as well.

2. Kawhi would be a lot higher if he didn't "load manage" and had more longevity. Only time will tell if this changes but I doubt it. He has done some extraordinary things such as winning back-to-back DPOY awards and 2x FMVP. If I recall correctly only Kawhi and Hakeem have ever achieved such a feat (B2B DPOY winner and winner of 2x FMVP). His 2019 run was also very impressive: 31/9/4 on splits of 49/38/88 (very close to entire 50-40-90 run on over 30 ppg en route to a FMVP. Who here left to rank has done anything close to a Finals run on 31/9/4 with near 50-40-90 splits?

If you value greatness on both ends of the ball then it would be hard to put many guys left ahead of Kawhi. He is elite on both ends, but again, his lack of longevity is hurting his resume along with him needing at least one regular season MVP or Scoring Title. Nearly all of the greats have them but him but I guess if we're voting in Ewing than peak doesn't matter that much so Kawhi should definitely be voted in.

3. Bob Cousy: What didn't this guy do? 6x Champion, 8x Assist Leader, 13x All Star, 1x MVP, and 10x 1st team All NBA. I see people are putting Baylor over Cousy and I'm not mad at it, Cousy did have the better team after all. But it's hard to argue against 6 rings to Baylor's zero. 6 vs 0. And of course Cousy's MVP which Baylor never won. Cousy was also top 3 in point scored for a total of 4x just like Baylor.
NRSV
Senior
And1: 816

Post#4 » by NRSV » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:50 am

Still lurking. Still printing off all the threads and compiling a manuscript in the event the internet ends for some unforeseen reason and we have to teach future children about the all time greats in an oral tradition.

Keep it up guys
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,673

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:27 pm

Best remaining big is probably Gilmore, Dwight Howard would be the main competition unless I'm forgetting someone. Pau Gasol? Maybe Robert Parish or Kevin McHale? I've heard Lanier's name come up but eye test, he was a somewhat lazy, passive defender and the stats (outside of outlier season 1974) don't indicate anything different to me . . . either the individual ones or the team defensive Drtg.

Forwards I have Havlicek over Barry of those who have been getting play. One of these two is a class act who plays defense and sacrifices for the team; one . . . isn't. Barry's is the better scorer, rebounder, passer but not the better player if you are trying to build a team. He is coming soon I guess but not yet for me.

Gervin is the best scorer left. I will look at him v. Reggie Miller who was more efficient on lesser volume. His trouble is he brings almost nothing else (decent rebounding and good shotblocking for a wing but which didn't translate to good defense); of course, neither did Miller. George was much more highly rated while playing (ppg v. efficiency always tends to skew publicly toward PPG; usually way more than justified); Reggie had a much longer career.

At PG there is Jason Kidd who brings great defense, good (but in my opinion often greatly overrated) playmaking, and poor shooting through his prime, greatly improving in his old age as he tried to do less, took more 3's, and played less defense. Gary Payton gets you a lot more points but also without great efficiency, maybe better man defense but not the GOAT PG rebounding that was a bit of a game changer with Kidd and Kidd was the better playmaker. Isiah would be the 3rd guard in most people's mix, underrated tough defender, overrated scorer, good playmaker, I don't think he's up yet.

Trying to think who I am missing. Great defenders like Mutombo and Bobby Jones but Mutombo has bad hands, Jones is the Manu Ginobli of forwards with limited ability to stay out on the floor for his NBA career, same for Kawhi except Kawhi also seems to have locker room issues and his defense waned as his offense waxed. I would probably go for both Jones and Manu over Kawhi though I know Kawhi is already on people's radar. I'd rather have less minutes a game but a consistent rotation than someone who doesn't play a lot of the games though another playoff run could certainly swing my perception.

So, even though I am normally one of the people pushing defensive impact as being equal to (or for bigs greater than!) offensive impact, I find myself supporting 2 pure scorers 1st and 2nd. Both very efficient for their day, Reggie the more so. Both good playoff players, again Reggie steps up his game more, those are why he's even in the mix at all. But, in the end, their value was as scorers and Ice was just plain more impactful in that regard than Reggie.

1. George Gervin
2. Reggie Miller
3. Artis Gilmore
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Post#6 » by Dutchball97 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:58 pm

1. Kawhi Leonard - Have been voting for Kawhi for a couple spots and I'm not too peeved he hasn't made it yet. Regular season longevity is a legitimate argument against him. However, I see Kawhi as someone who has peaked very high (like top 20 ever) and in terms of total play-offs contribution there really aren't a lot of guys left that have done more than Kawhi.

2. John Havlicek - He clearly has great longevity both in the regular season and play-offs so that's not an issue. I've seen some people say Cowens was the real motor behind the early-mid 70s Celtics but I'm not really buying it. I feel like Cowens/Havlicek is similar to Reed/Frazier where the big man got the accolades by default without actually being the best player on the team.

3. Rick Barry - I try to avoid grouping similar players together too much but looks like I'm going that way for the moment. Pippen, Baylor and these 3 would make 5 straight SFs, which seems a bit excessive but maybe that's because they all had to wait a bit on other positions that got grouped in together.

If one of my choices gets in this round I'll mainly be looking at the SGs next. Miller and Gervin have gotten some traction but I'm not quite sure if I prefer them over Drexler. Other than them Gilmore and Kidd are strong candidates that should get their turn soon.

I've settled on what range I'd be willing to vote for someone like Walton but now I'm struggling with another controversial (in terms of ranking) player. Was Isiah Thomas a terrible defender, a huge difference maker on that end or anywhere inbetween? I know DBPM is only useful as a general guide to defensive performance but with IT posting numerous play-off runs with All-Time great DBPM ratings, as well as DWS backing up IT's strong performance, I'm starting to have some serious questions about how this came to be. So far I've seen 70sfan claim IT was a worse defender than Nash but I have a hard time seeing this to be true. Now I don't think IT is some defensive genius because of a handful of impressively rated defensive performances according to questionable metrics but you rarely see metrics like DBPM and DWS be THAT level of wrong on a player assessment. Some insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,139

Post#7 » by Hal14 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:07 pm

1. John Havlicek
2. Isiah Thomas
3. Rick Barry

Hondo is in my pick here. 8 titles (8-0 in the NBA finals), Celtics all time leading scorer, outstanding defensive player, strong clutch player, 1 NBA finals MVP.

Pippen already got voted in, but I have Hondo ranked slightly higher than Pippen. Hondo was the Celtic's leading scorer 7 times and he was within 2 PPG of the team's leading scorer 6 times. That's 13 out of his 16 seasons. Compare that to Pippen - who I believe only led his team in scoring once and all of those years he played with Jordan he was never within 2 PPG of him.

Hondo even had 2 seasons where he averaged over 7 PPG more than the Celtics' 2nd leading scorer. Yes, 1 of those seasons was 68-69 when the Celtics were not very good, but 1 of them was also 70-71 when they were a very good team.

Both Hondo and Pippen are 2 of the greatest wing defenders of all time. Sure, Pippen is better. But is it a large enough gap to make up for the scoring edge that Hondo has? And more rings for Hondo and better longevity for Hondo..not to mention Hondo was a team-first guy, amazing teammate, great locker room presence, always gave it his all. Pippen meanwhile was at time a distraction to his team, at times let his ego get in the way of helping the team, like when he refused to play for the first half of the 97-98 season because of tension he had with team management and when he refused to go out onto the court in the 94 ECF in the final seconds of a tied game, simply because Phil Jackson drew up a player for Kukoc to get the final shot instead of Pippen:

As for Isiah, I have him ranked over Nash, Chris Paul and Stockton who have all been voted in awhile ago. Isiah, Stockton and Nash - all 3 of them had good careers, and had good supporting casts. But of the 3, Nash is the only 1 who could never make it to the NBA finals and he's also the only one who couldn't play a lick of defense. Plus he struggled his first few years when the game was more physical, had less spacing and more geared towards big men/post play (a.k.a. the environment that Isiah played his whole career in and Stockton played his entire prime in) and wasn't until rule changes, no more hand checking, no more hard fouls, more spacing, the rise of the 3-point shot, D'Antoni's system - defense got much weaker in 05, etc. it wasn't until then that Nash dominated.

Stockton made it to the finals twice, but a) that was after Isiah retied and b) Stockton's Jazz team lost to Jordan's Bulls both times. Meanwhile, during the time when Stockton and Isiah were both in their prime, Isiah made it to 3 NBA finals, won 2 championships and would have been 3 if not for the phantom foul call on Laimbeer in 88, which even Pat Riley admits was a BS call:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2103545-pat-riley-admits-84-lakers-benefited-from-phantom-foul-vs-detroit-pistons

And while Stockton's team lost to Jordan's Bulls twice in the finals, Isiah's Pistons beat Jordan's Bulls 3 times in the playoffs, and beat Magic's Lakers in 89, would have beat Magic Lakers in 88 if not for Phantom Foul and beat Bird's Celtics in 88..

Yes, it's a team game and Isiah had a strong supporting cast, but Isiah was the Piston's best player his entire career except for the very end of his career when he had injuries. The Pistons were a joke before they drafted him - they were one of the worst team in the league before Isiah got to Detroit. What other player still on the board got drafted by a really bad team, stayed with that team their entire career and led that team to multiple championships as the team's best player?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
penbeast0

Post#8 » by penbeast0 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:23 pm

With all due respect, out of every single player to play in the NBA, if there was ever a player who deserved a phantom foul call at a key moment, it was Bill Laimbeer.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#9 » by Owly » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:06 pm

Hal14 wrote:And while Stockton's team lost to Jordan's Bulls twice in the finals, Isiah's Pistons beat Jordan's Bulls 3 times in the playoffs, and beat Magic's Lakers in 89, would have beat Magic Lakers in 88 if not for Phantom Foul and beat Bird's Celtics in 88..

Yes, it's a team game and Isiah had a strong supporting cast, but Isiah was the Piston's best player his entire career except for the very end of his career when he had injuries. The Pistons were a joke before they drafted him - they were one of the worst team in the league before Isiah got to Detroit. What other player still on the board got drafted by a really bad team, stayed with that team their entire career and led that team to multiple championships as the team's best player?

penbeast0 wrote:With all due respect, out of every single player to play in the NBA, if there was ever a player who deserved a phantom foul call at a key moment, it was Bill Laimbeer.

The thing is that wouldn't be a case against Thomas (unless it's implicitly and working at the level of debate had, it's that Laimbeer probably got away with a ton more fouls in that game/series).

But leaving aside that team titles won is a bad measure of individuals, that there are many marginal calls in each game and that Laimbeer jumps horizontally, initiating contact with and bumping Jabbar, this wasn't a last second shot so a non-qualified assumption that Detroit
would have beat Magic Lakers in 88

is incorrect. Worthy is the player in the best position for a rebound and at worst, even if the foul isn't called, if Worthy doesn't get the rebound and if LA can't force a turnover, LA can foul to take it to free throws, likely get possession and have a chance to at least tie (or if Detroit make 1, spike 2nd, win with a 3, tie with 2).

beat Magic's Lakers in 89

To say "beat X's team" in a series, I kind of like that player to be higher than 8th on his team's minute totals for that series. Even if you want to reduce it to single players invoking the name of 8th guy in minutes (presumably in this instance knowing this, and that they're injured) ...

Also, for what little it's worth in evaluating careers (and given the above) if you were bringing it down to individuals ... the finals MVP was Joe Dumars.
ccameron
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,380

Post#10 » by ccameron » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:42 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Best remaining big is probably Gilmore, Dwight Howard would be the main competition unless I'm forgetting someone. Pau Gasol? Maybe Robert Parish or Kevin McHale? I've heard Lanier's name come up but eye test, he was a somewhat lazy, passive defender and the stats (outside of outlier season 1974) don't indicate anything different to me . . . either the individual ones or the team defensive Drtg.

What do you think of Mourning vs those guys?
penbeast0

Post#11 » by penbeast0 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:30 pm

ccameron wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:Best remaining big is probably Gilmore, Dwight Howard would be the main competition unless I'm forgetting someone. Pau Gasol? Maybe Robert Parish or Kevin McHale? I've heard Lanier's name come up but eye test, he was a somewhat lazy, passive defender and the stats (outside of outlier season 1974) don't indicate anything different to me . . . either the individual ones or the team defensive Drtg.

What do you think of Mourning vs those guys?

He might be on the level with Parish or McHale (still haven't wrapped my head around where I have Gasol). He was a warrior but just not physically up to the likes of Gilmore or even Howard and without that BBIQ that would have elevated him higher.
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#12 » by Odinn21 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:48 pm

Checked in to post a quick vote.

34. Rick Barry
Barry and Havlicek are the top 2 remaining choices. Between Barry and Havlicek;
- Barry was the better floor and ceiling raiser. Having Barry on your team would grant more flexible and more options to build around. He was just the better player for me.
- Havlicek was better at defending and his longevity was quite something. But Barry was also a superstar for a decade, so I'm not sure Havlicek's longevity means that much against Barry.

35. John Havlicek
Explained in Rick Barry's section.

36. Jason Kidd
Next group of players to consider for me are; Kidd, Drexler, Miller, Payton, Gilmore, Gervin, Zeke.
I guess I'll go with Kidd for this spot because Kidd's peak seasons were still great. Many seem to look at the fact that the East was weak but overlook the fact that the Nets weren't great to begin with. There's always a ratio between the help a player gets and the competition his team faces. Kidd did great.
One thing about Kidd and his impact, in 2004 Kidd was playing with one good leg and Martin wasn't fully healthy and they took the Pistons to a game 7. They gave the Pistons the hell despite being so broken. Surely, Martin and Jefferson improved massively in the mean time. But if Kidd's success was only related to a weak conference, they wouldn't do that well against probably the best (non Russell led) defensive team ever with those issues.
Kidd's the one checks my boxes the most properly. Peak, average prime level, prime duration, longevity and intangibles (as basketball related).

---

BTW, I know that he's not the most highly regarded player in here but I think Russell Westbrook should be getting some mentions at this point. I find it interesting that if 2016-17 season never happened, his career and him as a player would be regarded better.
I mean he was the best player on 2015-16 Thunder, he was the best player on the team that went 3-1 up against the 73W team. Sure, blowing such a lead is still an issue but;
Durant was slightly better on offense than Westbrook in regular season. Their impact in their given roles were almost tied up.
http://nbashotcharts.com/rapm?id=-1861361865
And Westbrook was the better player in the playoffs.

Another thing is;
I always look at impact numbers with on court production and roles in mind. Playing more minutes, or carrying bigger scoring load, etc, these things matter so much. Westbrook was still a positive impact player in 2016-17 season with that massive on court production.
I just don't see the point of penalizing the player for having a **** team around him.
Could Westbrook take less shots / handle the ball less on 2017 Thunder? Sure.
Would that be beneficial to the team and would they do better? Very doubtful.

The usual argument against him is that him not being on the same level as Curry, Durant and Paul but this list is already way past those names.

I'm not saying Westbrook is the right man to have on the lists right now. I'd have Gervin, Gilmore, Drexler, Reggie ahead of him. But I think his time's closing in.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,295

Post#13 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:36 pm

Vote 1 - Rick Barry
Vote 2 - John Havlicek
Vote 3 - Clyde Drexler

Barry's 75 title run is just really impressive culminating in a sweep of the 60 win #1 ranked SRS bullets. Going up against Unseld, Hayes, Chenier and Porter was a very formidable opponent. He put up 29.5 PPG, 4 RPG, 5 APG, 3.5 SPG, .8 BPG on 44.4% FG and 93.8% FT (8 FTAs per game) in the series.

It's tough to parse out what he did in the ABA as it was in its early years and clearly weaker. That said he really did dominate the competition. In 68-69 for the oakland oaks he had a crazy +11.4 rTS, albeit in 35 games. He did follow that up with a +7.6 rTS in 69-70 on a relatively high volume 27.7 PPG on 58.2% TS.

Speaking of efficency it's where I give him the edge over havlicek, with havlicek even proving to be inefficient for his era. I do think there's something to attributing that partially to the celtics' style of play. That said, havlicek's versatility edge over barry may be overstated as I'd consider barry more versatile than given credit for, especially as a playmaker. Longevity is just so so by my standards, but i've already voted in guys with similar longevity. I think he's accomplished enough overall for this range.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,139

Post#14 » by Hal14 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:10 pm

Owly wrote:Also, for what little it's worth in evaluating careers (and given the above) if you were bringing it down to individuals ... the finals MVP was Joe Dumars.

1) Yes, Dumars was finals MVP, but only in 89. Isiah was finals MVP in 90.
2) While Dumars did win Finals MVP in 89, why do you think Dumars was able to score those points and get open looks? Hmm, could it be that the Lakers' defensive attention, focus and game plan was built around Isiah and trying to slow Isiah down?
3) While Dumars did win finals MVP in 89, Isiah was actually the one who led the Pistons in scoring, assists, steals and minutes, while also averaging more rebounds and blocks than Dumars...in both the regular season and in the playoffs...in both 88-89 and 89-90. Isiah also played in 9 more games for the Pistons in 88-89 than Dumars did and 6 more games than Dumars in 89-90.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,504

Post#15 » by 70sFan » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Hal14 wrote:2) While Dumars did win Finals MVP in 89, why do you think Dumars was able to score those points and get open looks? Hmm, could it be that the Lakers' defensive attention, focus and game plan was built around Isiah and trying to slow Isiah down?

I could be wrong, but from my memory Lakers didn't exactly game plan against Isiah in any specific way. They didn't use a lot of help defense to stop him and played him mostly straight. Thomas was rarely treated like a suerstar by playoff defenses in the late 1980s. He also rarely played like a superstar.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#16 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:49 pm

Odinn21 wrote:Checked in to post a quick vote.

34. Rick Barry
Barry and Havlicek are the top 2 remaining choices. Between Barry and Havlicek;
- Barry was the better floor and ceiling raiser. Having Barry on your team would grant more flexible and more options to build around. He was just the better player for me.
- Havlicek was better at defending and his longevity was quite something. But Barry was also a superstar for a decade, so I'm not sure Havlicek's longevity means that much against Barry.

35. John Havlicek
Explained in Rick Barry's section.

36. Jason Kidd
Next group of players to consider for me are; Kidd, Drexler, Miller, Payton, Gilmore, Gervin, Zeke.
I guess I'll go with Kidd for this spot because Kidd's peak seasons were still great. Many seem to look at the fact that the East was weak but overlook the fact that the Nets weren't great to begin with. There's always a ratio between the help a player gets and the competition his team faces. Kidd did great.
One thing about Kidd and his impact, in 2004 Kidd was playing with one good leg and Martin wasn't fully healthy and they took the Pistons to a game 7. They gave the Pistons the hell despite being so broken. Surely, Martin and Jefferson improved massively in the mean time. But if Kidd's success was only related to a weak conference, they wouldn't do that well against probably the best (non Russell led) defensive team ever with those issues.
Kidd's the one checks my boxes the most properly. Peak, average prime level, prime duration, longevity and intangibles (as basketball related).

---

BTW, I know that he's not the most highly regarded player in here but I think Russell Westbrook should be getting some mentions at this point. I find it interesting that if 2016-17 season never happened, his career and him as a player would be regarded better.
I mean he was the best player on 2015-16 Thunder, he was the best player on the team that went 3-1 up against the 73W team. Sure, blowing such a lead is still an issue but;
Durant was slightly better on offense than Westbrook in regular season. Their impact in their given roles were almost tied up.
http://nbashotcharts.com/rapm?id=-1861361865
And Westbrook was the better player in the playoffs.

Another thing is;
I always look at impact numbers with on court production and roles in mind. Playing more minutes, or carrying bigger scoring load, etc, these things matter so much. Westbrook was still a positive impact player in 2016-17 season with that massive on court production.
I just don't see the point of penalizing the player for having a **** team around him.
Could Westbrook take less shots / handle the ball less on 2017 Thunder? Sure.
Would that be beneficial to the team and would they do better? Very doubtful.

The usual argument against him is that him not being on the same level as Curry, Durant and Paul but this list is already way past those names.

I'm not saying Westbrook is the right man to have on the lists right now. I'd have Gervin, Gilmore, Drexler, Reggie ahead of him. But I think his time's closing in.

Relating to Barry v Havlicek one of the main reasons I favor Havlicek(besides defense/longevity/chemistry) is that Barry only played in 146 games from 68-71. So that's a big chunk of his prime which he lost due to switching leagues and injuries which may be why he wasn't quite so efficient after he returned to the nba. Its sort of misleading in that he still received all aba 1st team honors 3 of those years despite missing so many games but its another factor that made me put Hondo above him.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#17 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:55 pm

34. John Havlicek
-11x all nba 1st or 2nd team(4 1st)
-7x all nba defense(5 1st) and played 6 years before those were created
-7x top 10 in mvp voting
-8x champ and 1 fmvp(strong case in 69 as well averaging 28.1/11.0/4.4 on 52% ts but losing it to West)
-led 3 title teams in playoff scoring, assists and win shares(68, 69 and 74) which is something few other players have done(only other player to do this 3x is MJ)
-great all around skills(led Celtics in scoring 7x, apg 7x, win shares 6x)
-great chemistry/leadership/hustle guy

35. Rick Barry
-11x all league(9x 1st team)
-6x top 5 in mvp voting
-led league in scoring in 67 with 35.6ppg with a ts add of +195
-overall very efficient volume scorer with career ts+ of 104(2% above league average) and 6 straight years with ts add over 120
-led aba/nba in playoff ppg 3x
-from 73-77 led the Warriors in ppg and apg while those teams ranked 11th, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd and 4th in ORtg showing how well he could orchestrate an offense
-epic 75 playoff run in which he won ring/fmvp

36. Dolph Schayes
-12x all nba(7x 1st)
-Good all around player, 9x top 5 in rebounding with good outside shot
-top 10 in scoring 11 times with career ts+ of 108 which is about 4% over league average
-known to be a solid defender from what I have learned about him
-31st in career win shares
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#18 » by Owly » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:47 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Owly wrote:Also, for what little it's worth in evaluating careers (and given the above) if you were bringing it down to individuals ... the finals MVP was Joe Dumars.

1) Yes, Dumars was finals MVP, but only in 89. Isiah was finals MVP in 90.

Of course. But crucially your post was about getting by Magic's Lakers. Had you invoked the name of Clyde Drexler (or Terry Porter) this would be relevant to the discussion had.

Hal14 wrote:2) While Dumars did win Finals MVP in 89, why do you think Dumars was able to score those points and get open looks? Hmm, could it be that the Lakers' defensive attention, focus and game plan was built around Isiah and trying to slow Isiah down?
Presumably the MVP voters watched the games.

Furthermore if this was the gameplan - and presently you assert this without any evidence for it - it was a dumb one as around this time the Piston's were incredibly successful when Dumars shot often (11-1 in the two regular seasons in question if I've read my old spreadsheet right), whilst in games that I have of Isiah him shooting a lot actually tends towards a Pistons defeat (this is not to claim a specific direction of cause and effect, televised games tend toward tougher opposition etc) and (with the same caveats) in the two seasons raised (overall and in each individual season) the Pistons are at a lower win percentage when Isiah shoots twenty times or more than when he doesn't. I would grant a smaller claim that Cooper seems primarily to be guarding Thomas (though again voters would be aware of this).

Hal14 wrote:3) While Dumars did win finals MVP in 89, Isiah was actually the one who led the Pistons in scoring, assists, steals and minutes, while also averaging more rebounds and blocks than Dumars...in both the regular season and in the playoffs...in both 88-89 and 89-90. Isiah also played in 9 more games for the Pistons in 88-89 than Dumars did and 6 more games than Dumars in 89-90.

1) But you invoked beating Magic's Lakers. And whilst per the above post these weren't really Magic's Lakers, I thought my response should be with respect to your premise that that was what mattered. And here Dumars was better, scoring more, scoring more efficiently, likely playing better non-boxscore (and overall D) based on broader trends and being considered better by the voting panel.

2) But even on a wider discussion, rate-based box composites don't tend to paint him as the Pistons' best player, suggesting rather an ensemble (BPM likes him better than the others). Only in the '90 playoffs (no Magic here) is Thomas clearly the best boxscore player (and fwiw, imo, the Pistons' best player; though here and in general box metrics overrate Thomas's D and underrate than of non-boxscore defenders Dumars and Rodman). Fwiw, Thomas's rebound advantage ends to be generated on the defensive boards which tend to being team level achievements (boxing out etc) and not necessarily indicative of impact on team rebounding.

[post edited to remove redundant duplication]
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by trex_8063 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:09 am

1st vote: Jason Kidd
The major critique(s) he sustains are the poor efficiency shooting and the lack of great offenses with him at the helm. otoh, I think he's arguably the greatest transition passer of all-time [I'll submit that one video below], and a solid creation passer in the half-court, too, who fairly consistently had some really good ORAPM's in his prime [frequently top 5-10 in the league, I think one even as high as 3rd].
Additionally he's a rare breed of PG who can actually kinda co-anchor elite defenses.
I'll point out that [in an era of already quite low league average ORtg/DRtg] he was a part of three consecutive elite defenses with rDRTG's of -5.0 [1st of 29], -5.5 [1st of 29], and -4.9 [4th of 29]. All three of these were achieved WITHOUT an elite rim-protector in the middle. For that matter, they followed that period up with a couple more very good ones (-3.0 and -3.8, respectively).

I don't want to give you the impression Kidd was definitively the anchor; they were very much "ensemble efforts".......but it's also hard to definitively peg any other ONE member of those Nets teams as MORE important to their defensive success than Kidd.

The '02 Nets displayed some pretty good 3pt defense---despite being one of the faster paced teams in the league, they allowed the 13th-fewest 3PA while also being 10th [of 29] in 3pt% allowed. And unlike, for example, recent Utah Jazz teams, they didn't achieve that by running guys off the line with confidence because of the rim protector they have behind them [because again: the best rim protectors were guys like Kenyon Martin and Todd MacCulloch]; this was simple stout defense by the perimeter core [of which Kidd played more minutes----handily---than anyone].
They managed this while also maintaining a pretty low opponent FTAr (10th of 29), which usually involves not allowing defensive breakdowns on the perimeter.
But their best defensive FF was opp TOV% (3rd in league)......and Kidd led the team in both steals and STL%.
They were also decent on the defensive glass, where Kidd was the team's 2nd-best defensive rebounder.
They other aspect they really excelled at [which I touched on a bit wrt 3pt defense] is opp eFG%, which again always felt like an ensemble effort with this team.

With the '03 team [their single-best defense], their 3pt defense was merely average; it was their 2pt defense that was outstanding [resulting in them being 4th in opp eFG%]. I think moving Jason Collins into a larger minute role helped [outstanding rotational defender, pnr defender], and they got 514 minutes from an aging Dikembe. But mostly an ensemble effort with few defensive weak spots in the rotation.
But again their BEST defensive FF was opp TOV% (and again Kidd leads in both steals and STL%).
And he's again one of their best defensive rebounders (they were 6th in DREB%).

The '04 squad shakes out similarly, with their best defensive FF being DREB% and opp TOV% (with Kidd again being one of their best defensive rebounders AND leading the team in steals and STL%).

His overall RAPM league rank during the heart of his prime:
'02: 5th
'03: 5th
'04: tied for 4th
'05: 6th
'06: tied for 17th
'07: tied for 17th

With mostly solid [often top 25ish] RAPM on either side of these years.......and ALWAYS while playing BIG minutes and missing very few games.
He was an integral part of a title team in '11 [in his 17th season], and still a solid contributor on a decent Knicks team in his 19th and final season, when his athleticism was just shot. The guy simply knew how to ball, though.

From my perspective, I don't think it can be definitively said that someone like John Havlicek was any better. Nor can one say Hondo had better longevity. Halvicek had a more "storied" career [which to some degree may just mean he was luckier].
I certainly think Kidd deserves traction in the same region of the list as players like Havlicek and Pippen.

2nd vote: John Havlicek
Not far behind my 1st pick, tbh. I know he's had the more "storied" or lauded career, and he appears to be the front-runner to win this spot, and thus other people have already made at least the bullet-point case for him.
So rather than add my 2c on why he belongs here(ish), I'm going to try to elaborate on why I have Kidd ahead of him. I'll start by looking at them thru the lens of different "components" of the game of basketball, starting with scoring....

Havlicek scored at a rate of anywhere from 19.5 pts/100 possessions [in his rookie season; he otherwise was never lower than 21.4] to 26.4 pts/100 [averaging out around 23.5 or slightly under pts/100], on shooting efficiency that ranged anywhere from -3.8% rTS to +2.2 rTS (averaging out at about -0.7% rTS), with a career average of 36.6 mpg.

Kidd---in his first 16 seasons [to keep the same time-line as Havlicek's career]---averaged anywhere from 13.3 to 26.2 pts/100 (depending on the role he took, averaging out to 19.2 pts/100), on anywhere from -7.4% to +3.4% rTS, averaging out around -2.4% rTS, while averaging a nearly identical [marginally superior, if we're picking nits] 37.1 mpg in these years.

Their respective turnover economies look roughly comparable [based on limited info for Hondo, obviously]. So it's safe to say that Havlicek was the better scorer [relative to his professional peers], and significantly so [although still not a great one].

But otoh Kidd is the superior rebounder [and that's before entering into any consideration of "positional expectation"]: Kidd averaged 9.3 reb/100 in these years.......Havlicek's PEAK rebounding rate was during his rookie season averaging an estimated 9.15 reb/100 [despite there being more rebounds to get per possession at that time], and averaged somewhere around 7 reb/100 overall for his career.

I think Kidd is probably the better passer/playmaker, even in consideration of positional expectation.

And defensively, I'm not sure that Kidd isn't the bigger per possession impact defender [which again, is perhaps extra impressive] in his time.

And all of this while playing in a more competitive era, imo.

And then Kidd goes on to have THREE more value-added [at least tiny amounts] seasons after this period, including one year as the roughly 3rd/4th-best player on a title winning team.

Truthfully, it's ONLY out of consideration for Havlicek's more storied career, and I suppose a little for his playoff heroics and leadership intangibles that even have him in the same general vicinity as Kidd.

3rd vote: Artis Gilmore
Will try to work up a post on the A-Train soon, but I just don't have time presently.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by trex_8063 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:29 am

Thru post #19:

John Havlicek - 3 (Cavsfansince84, DQuinn1575, Hal14)
Jason Kidd - 2 (Magic Is Magic, trex_8063)
Rick Barry - 2 (Clyde Frazier, Odinn21)
Kawhi Leonard - 1 (Dutchball97)
George Gervin - 1 (penbeast0)

Just under 24 hours left for this one.

Spoiler:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:.

Ambrose wrote:.

Baski wrote:.

bidofo wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

Cavsfansince84 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

DQuinn1575 wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dutchball97 wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

eminence wrote:.

Franco wrote:.

Gregoire wrote:.

Hal14 wrote:.

HeartBreakKid wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

iggymcfrack wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

Joey Wheeler wrote:.

Jordan Syndrome wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

lebron3-14-3 wrote:.

limbo wrote:.

Magic Is Magic wrote:.

Matzer wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Odinn21 wrote:.

Owly wrote:.

O_6 wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

PistolPeteJR wrote:.

RSCD3_ wrote:.

[quote=”sansterre”].[/quote]
Senior wrote:.

SeniorWalker wrote:.

SHAQ32 wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

Tim Lehrbach wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

Whopper_Sr wrote:.

ZeppelinPage wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

876Stephen wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.

Return to Player Comparisons