Best teammate Scottie Pippen ever had (besides Jordan)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Best teammate for Pippen (not named Michael Jordan)

Horace Grant (Chicago Bulls; '87-'88 to '93-'94)
21%
Bill Cartwright (Chicago Bulls; '88-'89 to '93-'94)
2%
B.J. Armstrong (Chicago Bulls; '89-'90 to '94-'95)
2%
Toni Kukoc (Chicago Bulls; '93-'94 to '97-'98)
2%
Dennis Rodman (Chicago Bulls; '95-'96 to '97-'98)
7%
Hakeem Olajuwon (Houston Rockets; '98-'99)
7%
Charles Barkley (Houston Rockets; '98-'99)
7%
Rasheed Wallace (Portland Trail Blazers; '99-'00 to '02-'03)
48%
Damon Stoudamire (Portland Trail Blazers; '99-'00 to '02-'03)
No votes
Steve Smith (Portland Trail Blazers; '99-'00 to '00-'01)
2%

Total votes: 42

SelakStreet
Junior
And1: 41

Best teammate Scottie Pippen ever had (besides Jordan) 

Post#1 » by SelakStreet » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:10 pm

Other than Michael Jordan, who had the best collaboration working with Scottie Pippen as a teammate whether said person is a role player or an All-Star or a superstar?
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Re: Best teammate Scottie Pippen ever had (besides Jordan) 

Post#2 » by limbo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:59 pm

Probably man like Sheed.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,428

Post#3 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:03 pm

SelakStreet wrote:Other than Michael Jordan, who had the best collaboration working with Scottie Pippen as a teammate whether said person is a role player or an All-Star or a superstar?

Guys who come to mind:

Horace Grant - the Jordan-less Bulls were the ultimate Triangle team while Grant was there.

Steve Smith - a borderline all-star talent who could shoot, Pip needs shooters.

Rasheed Wallace - best player on those Blazers and the guy who Pip played the most with, so I’d say it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,668

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:15 pm

Just odd thinking about the words "Dennis Rodman" and "best teammate" in the same sentence.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
henshao
Pro Prospect
And1: 442

Post#5 » by henshao » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:44 pm

The Onion had a good strongside/weakside for Pippen, remarking that he "Really hit his stride when he found a way to also be overshadowed by Dennis Rodman"
fanofthegreats
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,401

Post#6 » by fanofthegreats » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:01 pm

Not sure what to make of the 1999 versions of Barkley and Hakeem. By the numbers they look relatively productive. I wasn’t following much back then but can someone shed light as to what happened to that big three rockets team ?

Sig by Trixx
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#7 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:52 pm

Wallace comes to mind off the bat, but I could be underrating the Rockets old timers.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,879

Post#8 » by ronnymac2 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:08 pm

I'd say Armstrong. He made an All-Star team - his first and only appearance - while he, Pip, and Grant led a successful Chicago team. Pip and Armstrong perfectly covered for each other's weaknesses, with Armstrong being a non-ball dominant PG who could shoot for Scottie, and Scottie being able to handle playmaking duties and spearheading the triangle.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#9 » by trex_8063 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:26 pm

Maybe I'm sleeping on Wallace a bit. Certainly he deserves some strong consideration, but I am sort of surprised he's basically running away with the poll. Also surprised the duo Pip was teamed with in '99 is getting so little love; aside from Grant ('92 and '94 are seriously underrated player seasons, imo) those were the first two to come to mind.

Barkley can still score a bit; not super-efficient any more at +3.5% rTS [he's just not the finisher he used to be], but on above average volume that's still pretty good. He racks up assists at nearly the same rate as Pippen this year, and with a 1.92 Ast:TO ratio [pretty good for a forward who's primarily a scorer/rebounder]. And he's a beast on the offensive glass (13.7% OREB%!); beast on the defensive glass for that matter.

He's is a solid liability defensively by this point, but between his still pretty good scoring, excellent passing from the PF, and utterly elite-level offensive rebounding, he was actually the #1 PI ORAPM in the league this year, and tied [with Pippen himself] for 30th in the league in overall RAPM despite his VERY negative DRAPM.

Overall Barkley was a 23.09 PER (8th in league), .215 WS/48 (6th in the league), +4.5 BPM (tied for 12th in league), +3.51 RAPM (tied for 30th in league), and +15 net rating with playing 36.3 mpg (in 42 of 50 games). Although they lost in the 1st round 1-3, Barkley was awesome in those four games.
That's a pretty damn solid player on paper.

EDIT: Also, Bill Cartwright? I must have misread....I thought the title said "best" teammate.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#10 » by DirtyDez » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:55 am

98-99’ Barkley still was having superstar moments in the regular season and playoffs. I’ll go with Chuck.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#11 » by JordansBulls » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:23 am

Hakeem 2x finals mvp along with Barkley who was league mvp. Still amazed they lost in round 1 when all guys were proven commodities.

They both had a higher PER as well and better numbers.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#12 » by Odinn21 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:12 am

SelakStreet wrote:Other than Michael Jordan, who had the best collaboration working with Scottie Pippen as a teammate whether said person is a role player or an All-Star or a superstar?

You should put that in your titles because the way you use it now makes us focus on individuality rather than the partnership with Pippen.

Indivudual? That's 1999 Charles Barkley.

I'm also surprised that Rasheed Wallace is getting more love than Horace Grant.
Yes, Wallace became a better player later on and if you want to look at things as All-Star selections, he did better in a shorter span when he was a teammate of Pippen. But he doesn't match what Grant brought the table from 1991 to 1994. And Grant's gameplay worked perfect with Pippen's style, they were a true F duo.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#13 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:20 am

For just one year? I am going with old Barkley. Old Hakeem faded that season. Peak Hakeem would be the 2nd best player but he never played with Pippen. Rasheed was really good but I think old Barkley was still slightly more valuable. There were a lot of good players on those Blazers teams; It wasn't just Rasheed and Pippen. Rodman anad Grant were very good.
Kukoc-Lauri
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#14 » by Kukoc-Lauri » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 pm

fanofthegreats wrote:Not sure what to make of the 1999 versions of Barkley and Hakeem. By the numbers they look relatively productive. I wasn’t following much back then but can someone shed light as to what happened to that big three rockets team ?
Hakeem was washed, Barkley was injury away of being washed and he got injured. If this three was asembled in 1991-1996 time they would won multiple chips. To old, to injured. Pipp wasnt to old 32-33 at time but he played like 8 seasons of finals almost every year.
Kukoc-Lauri
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#15 » by Kukoc-Lauri » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:47 pm

Rasheed Wallace. If Phil allowed Toni to play to his strenghts and especially today Toni would be his best teammate. Grant and Rodman were really good but more defensive oriented. Steve Smith was legit all star. Sabonis was old and injured in Portland but prime Sabas was legitematley in that convo. He had bad luck to play with great players still productive but most were out of their primes, to old, injured, one or two years prior peek Sheed, our guys not used appropriately by Nba coaches (Kukoc and Sabonis) because that era and euro scepticsm.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#16 » by Leslie Forman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:55 pm

It's Horace Grant without question. Besides not just having the most good years next to Pippen of anyone here, he was good enough to be the second best guy on a 55-win team without MJ, and after he left, the Bulls were only on a 43-win pace before MJ came back. He was an immense piece on that team. If he had stayed I think they win '95, and probably still take '96-'98.

Sheed was more talented. He wasn't a better player or teammate.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#17 » by freethedevil » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:41 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:It's Horace Grant without question. Besides not just having the most good years next to Pippen of anyone here, he was good enough to be the second best guy on a 55-win team without MJ, and after he left, the Bulls were only on a 43-win pace before MJ came back. He was an immense piece on that team. If he had stayed I think they win '95, and probably still take '96-'98.

Crediting grant for being "the second best guy on a 55 win team" when the very next season they played at a 52 win pace without grant seems dubious.

And no, they were a 43 win tema because of injuries, at full strength hthe grant-less bulls played at a 52 win pace. I relaize that destroys the whole "the bulls were a fluke in 94 and came crashing back down to earth" narrative, but using how they played when injured as opposed to how they played at full strength is incredibly disingenuous
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#18 » by Leslie Forman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:24 pm

freethedevil wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:It's Horace Grant without question. Besides not just having the most good years next to Pippen of anyone here, he was good enough to be the second best guy on a 55-win team without MJ, and after he left, the Bulls were only on a 43-win pace before MJ came back. He was an immense piece on that team. If he had stayed I think they win '95, and probably still take '96-'98.

Crediting grant for being "the second best guy on a 55 win team" when the very next season they played at a 52 win pace without grant seems dubious.

And no, they were a 43 win tema because of injuries, at full strength hthe grant-less bulls played at a 52 win pace. I relaize that destroys the whole "the bulls were a fluke in 94 and came crashing back down to earth" narrative, but using how they played when injured as opposed to how they played at full strength is incredibly disingenuous

Uh…what the hell are you talking about?

Nobody had a major injury in '95. Pippen played 79 games. Kukoc (who made a huge improvement from '94) played 81 games. BJ played 82 games. Kerr played 82 games. Perdue played 78 games. Harper played 77 games.
Firebird1
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#19 » by Firebird1 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:07 pm

Not really sure because I never watched the 90s. Only the 2010s.

Its probably between grant or wallace idk lol
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#20 » by freethedevil » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:31 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:
freethedevil wrote:

Uh…what the hell are you talking about?

Nobody had a major injury in '95. Pippen played 79 games. Kukoc (who made a huge improvement from '94) played 81 games. BJ played 82 games. Kerr played 82 games. Perdue played 78 games. Harper played 77 games.

https://backpicks.com/2018/01/29/backpicks-goat-23-scottie-pippen/

Pippen’s non-Jordan seasons were particularly impressive because of the overall heights of the team. In ’94, the Bulls played at a 55-win pace when healthy (4.7 SRS). There was undoubtably malaise during the 1993 season after deep postseason runs and the Barcelona Olympics, so a direct comparison between ’93 and ’94 is apples-to-oranges. Still, the ’94 Bulls added Toni Kukoc and Luc Longley, replaced Jordan with a defensive-centric Pete Myers, and posted close-to-contending results. In 1995, with key cog Horace Grant lost to Orlando (and Ron Harper aboard), a healthy Bulls team still played at a 52-win pace (3.8 SRS) with an rORtg of +1.1 before Michael Jordan returned..

Return to Player Comparisons