Kevin Durant or Lebron James?

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Kevin Durant or Lebron James? 

Post#1 » by feyki » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:43 am

Who was better in those(17,18) back to back years? They were also match-up players in the b2b Finals.
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,475

Re: Kevin Durant or Lebron James? 

Post#2 » by 70sFan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:54 am

LeBron James
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 7,080

Post#3 » by Freighttrain » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:41 am

LeBron. People seem to make the argument that KD outplayed LeBron during the finals, whilst forgetting he had a goat cast around him that allowed him to shine in the areas he was good at, whilst having a lesser burden on his fragile shoulders carrying a franchise. The Cavs's defence was solely based on trying to contain Curry. As a result, KD looked like the better player from Golden State. LeBron's imprint on the Cavs team was way more important. Golden State could've had Kawhi or another top player on that team and it would've been the same result.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#4 » by Gooner » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:53 am

KD proved in the finals that he was better. I don't know what LeBron did better than him at that point.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#5 » by 70sFan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:11 am

Gooner wrote:KD proved in the finals that he was better. I don't know what LeBron did better than him at that point.

Better passer, better defender, better leader, better ball-handler, better rebounder, better P&R player... can I stop now?
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#6 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:20 am

Imagine if the roles were reversed in their meetings. Would love for someone who is voting for Durant to take a guess on how many FMVPs he would have if he went up against Lebron James, Steph Curry and Klay Thompson when he has Kevin Love as his sidekick.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#7 » by Dupp » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:59 am

70sFan wrote:
Gooner wrote:KD proved in the finals that he was better. I don't know what LeBron did better than him at that point.

Better passer, better defender, better leader, better ball-handler, better rebounder, better P&R player... can I stop now?

Tbh lebrons d in the 17 finals was really bad and KDs was decent ( with way more hep). Everything either side of that series basically i agree.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Gooner » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:06 pm

70sFan wrote:

Only passing was the advantage to LBJ. His defense was awful btw.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#9 » by 70sFan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:06 pm

Dupp wrote:
70sFan wrote:

Tbh lebrons d in the 17 finals was really bad and KDs was decent ( with way more hep). Everything either side of that series basically i agree.

It's easier to defend when you have so much help on both sides of the ball. Cavs basically decided to forget about defense and try to outscore GSW, which wasn't possible anyway.

Overall KD was never great defender, James showed a lot of times that he could be elite defensively at various stages of his career.
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,685

Post#10 » by Homer38 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:07 pm

KD was not even in the first team all-nba in 2017.....
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Gooner » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:08 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Imagine if the roles were reversed in their meetings. Would love for someone who is voting for Durant to take a guess on how many FMVPs he would have if he went up against Lebron James, Steph Curry and Klay Thompson when he has Kevin Love as his sidekick.

No one is arguing that the Warriors weren't more talanted, but you can't ignore what happens on the court, especially in that 2017 finals when KD outplayed LeBron in the clutch. Talent doesn't guarantee wins, look at Miami super team led by LeBron, they lost 2 finals badly. KD never lost with his superteam.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Gooner » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:09 pm

70sFan wrote:
Dupp wrote:
70sFan wrote:Better passer, better defender, better leader, better ball-handler, better rebounder, better P&R player... can I stop now?

It's easier to defend when you have so much help on both sides of the ball. Cavs basically decided to forget about defense and try to outscore GSW, which wasn't possible anyway.

Overall KD was never great defender, James showed a lot of times that he could be elite defensively at various stages of his career.

James was literally hiding from KD on defense.
Homer38
RealGM

Post#13 » by Homer38 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:12 pm

Gooner wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:Imagine if the roles were reversed in their meetings. Would love for someone who is voting for Durant to take a guess on how many FMVPs he would have if he went up against Lebron James, Steph Curry and Klay Thompson when he has Kevin Love as his sidekick.

No one is arguing that the Warriors weren't more talanted, but you can't ignore what happens on the court, especially in that 2017 finals when KD outplayed LeBron in the clutch. Talent doesn't guarantee wins, look at Miami super team led by LeBron, they lost 2 finals badly. KD never lost with his superteam.

The spurs were much better in 2014 that the heat at this point.Also in 2017,LBJ had 33-12-10 on 56% against the second best defense in the league in 2017.....
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Gooner » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:14 pm

Homer38 wrote:
Gooner wrote:

The spurs were much better in 2014 that the heat at this point.Also in 2017,LBJ had 33-12-10 on 56% against the second best defense in the league in 2017.....

They were not better on paper. Old Spurs against Miami super team, give me a break.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#15 » by 70sFan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:15 pm

Gooner wrote:
70sFan wrote:
Dupp wrote:

James was literally hiding from KD on defense.

Because he had to carry much larger offensive load. If you don't understand such a basic things, then I see no reason to continue this discussion.
dcstanley
Sixth Man
And1: 1,281

Post#16 » by dcstanley » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:17 pm

Gooner wrote:

:lol: at The Heat being a superteam in 2014
Homer38
RealGM

Post#17 » by Homer38 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:18 pm

Gooner wrote:
Homer38 wrote:
Gooner wrote:

They were not better on paper. Old Spurs against Miami super team, give me a break.

The heat was older at this time and the spurs had 4 HOF players still playing at a high level in the entire playoffs run and they had a lot more depth which was huge.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#18 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:19 pm

I think Gooner said all that needed to be said about this topic. Is there any greater example of a guy who follows basketball just by reading headlines lol. Guy is literally pretending Wade was a superstar in 2014 and stuff

The Miami Heat expected to beat the Spurs in 2014, that's cute.
Homer38
RealGM

Post#19 » by Homer38 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:20 pm

dcstanley wrote:
Gooner wrote:

If he thinks that the heat in 2014 or even 2013 come playoffs time was a superteam, he needs to think the same for the thunder in 2012
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#20 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:24 pm

Homer38 wrote:
dcstanley wrote:
Gooner wrote:

If he thinks that the heat in 2014 or even 2013 come playoffs time was a superteam, he needs to think the same for the thunder in 2012

Nah, he'll say the Thunder sucked because they were 22 and 23 years old even though they ran through the West. You'll find that Gooner will bend a lot of things in order to make James look bad.

Return to Player Comparisons