The Lebron Thread | 2021 (Pt. 3)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,677

Re: The Lebron Thread | 2021 (Pt. 3) 

Post#41 » by homecourtloss » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:07 am

IG2 wrote:Looked spry as hell in this game. That too on the 2nd night of a B2B. And we are past the AS break....

Heej was right all along :o :o

Apocalypse is nigh if IG2 is saying Bron looked “spry as hell.” :lol:
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#42 » by Cavsfansince84 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:25 am

IG2 wrote:Looked spry as hell in this game. That too on the 2nd night of a B2B. And we are past the AS break....

Heej was right all along :o :o

Should be though given only like 1 or 2 game in the previous 10 days.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,166

Post#43 » by donnieme » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:32 am

Jones has filled in well for Gasol defensively the last 2 games. Will definitely find a new team if he isn't retained.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,677

Post#44 » by homecourtloss » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:40 am

donnieme wrote:Jones has filled in well for Gasol defensively the last 2 games. Will definitely find a new team if he isn't retained.

Honestly seems to have a higher BBIQ than a guy like Drummond.

Was also nice to see the Lakers unlock that screen-roll action with Trez to make him useful on offense.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#45 » by kayess » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:55 am

Why has Trez's stats been up the past few games?
picko
Starter
And1: 3,408

Post#46 » by picko » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:17 am

kayess wrote:Why has Trez's stats been up the past few games?

Averaging 23.8 PPG over his last four on 69.6% TS
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,811

Post#47 » by Homer38 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:17 am

Read on Twitter
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,811

Post#48 » by Homer38 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:06 pm

Read on Twitter
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,763

Post#49 » by uberhikari » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:48 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:The Indianapolis Star is reporting that the Lakers are one of five teams interested in trading for Myles Turner.

I'd be SHOCKED if they could pull it off.

That'd be nuts. AD/Turner is a monster defensive duo

He doesn't make a ton of money so I don't think it's impossible.

It could work
KTM_2813
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#50 » by KTM_2813 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:41 pm

I haven't been following the league much over the past month, but it seems like the Lakers are trying to make some moves. Assuming AD can return for the playoffs, I think they can win as constructed, but improving their spacing and/or center position would be huge.
sansterre wrote:The success of a star's season is:

Individual performance + Teammate performance - Opposition +/- Luck
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#51 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:15 pm

uberhikari wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:The Indianapolis Star is reporting that the Lakers are one of five teams interested in trading for Myles Turner.

It could work

Getting Holiday in this would be nice too. The problem with this deal is that it takes away the little shooting the Lakers have, and also sacrifices a TON of perimeter defense (though Holiday helps some on that front). If they make a deal like this, they absolutely need to make another deal to bring in a shooter. Can't do this without that.

It also really hurts their in-season chemistry. You're losing both KCP and Kuzma, both whom have been instrumental in the Lakers' run this season and in last year's title run. I don't think this deal is worth all of that, particularly with how Jones has been playing thus far.
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#52 » by SideshowBob » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:52 pm

Do we have some clean PI and/or NPI RAPM sources for this year?

Lebron's lead in RPM continues to balloon, despite relatively pedestrian box-score composite stats (24 PER / 7.5 BPM), so I have to assume his regressed +/- signal is showing massive impact.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#53 » by bondom34 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:56 pm

SideshowBob wrote:Do we have some clean PI and/or NPI RAPM sources for this year?

Lebron's lead in RPM continues to balloon, despite relatively pedestrian box-score composite stats (24 PER / 7.5 BPM), so I have to assume his regressed +/- signal is showing massive impact.

nbashotcharts.com is I think not working at the moment but should be back up soon I'd guess (not sure how much I'd trust single year with this few games, but has 3/5 year as well as luck adjusted).
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,711

Post#54 » by eminence » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:02 pm

SideshowBob wrote:Do we have some clean PI and/or NPI RAPM sources for this year?

Shadow has some stuff up on apbr:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRDbpET9PUorhyjaw4DsPLszr8xc-tes0Ae2rp3Wwr2vxPvjUoXeY0lUNQq_mq8YgOKSWYz5Xz43fCE/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

He calls it vanilla, so I think it's NPI, but not certain.

In case my link doesn't work LeBron was in 5th as of 3/11. The top 10:

Kawhi
Gobert
Embiid
PG13
LeBron
Conley
Saric
DiVincenzo
Murray
Kyrie
I bought a boat.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#55 » by bondom34 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:26 pm

Also I don't know where to leave this but choose to leave it here. Make of it what you may.

Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#56 » by DCasey91 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:04 pm

LBJ is a master game manager (been like that for a awhile too) the three pnr’s leading to Harrell dunks then after the two kickout passes to Kuzma/Matthews threes was champagne basketball.

Still the best game manager I’ve ever seen.
He just makes everyone play better with all types of players too.

Absolute joy to watch (others may be more entertaining individually but in game skill LeBron takes the cake.)

He has to have the longest prime now in NBA surely.
I know there’s Kareem/Malone but neither of them was doing it the way LeBron has (more taxing game style early on too, early on meaning still a decade plus of wear/tear. Truly special).

His scoring rate has always been ATG because of his goat level finishing skills. Just wondered in his early years (First 7 at the Cavs) he had a Kyrie type to offset the offensive scoring load because his weakness was his jumper.

Something like 25/8/10 type numbers. More in the Magic mold (more scoring obv). Because his attributes (Passing/Playmakingn/Game managing) would have been maximized more. Wasn’t last year he had the highest point returns from his passes? This year it’s probably similar too.

Hugely versatile
Can be a DPOY impact player at times
Can score 30+
Or dish out 10+ assists

Or have nights where he does all three.
uberhikari
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by uberhikari » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:16 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
uberhikari wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

It could work

Getting Holiday in this would be nice too. The problem with this deal is that it takes away the little shooting the Lakers have, and also sacrifices a TON of perimeter defense (though Holiday helps some on that front). If they make a deal like this, they absolutely need to make another deal to bring in a shooter. Can't do this without that.

It also really hurts their in-season chemistry. You're losing both KCP and Kuzma, both whom have been instrumental in the Lakers' run this season and in last year's title run. I don't think this deal is worth all of that, particularly with how Jones has been playing thus far.

1. Justin Holiday is a 40% 3pt shooter over his last 600 3PA. This year he's shooting 40% on 6.5 3PA per game. Holiday is a better and more reliable shooter than both KCP and Kuzma.

2. Holiday and KCP are comparable defenders. Kuzma has gotten better but he's not an elite defender by any means. But more importantly, getting Turner more than makes up for losing Kuzma. Having Caruso, Schroder, Matthews, and Holiday doesn't compromise our perimeter defense at all. As for THT, he's only 20 years old; he's not ready for prime time. I very seriously doubt he'd see any significant time in the playoffs.

3. Nobody should care about Damian Jones. You don't let Damian Jones stop you from getting Myles Turner and Justin Holiday, lol. And you certainly don't refuse to make your team better because of something as speculative as "in-season chemistry".

The Lakers could have a depth chart that looks like this:

Schroder/Caruso
Holiday/Matthews
LeBron
AD/Trez
Myles Turner/Gasol

That is a crazy defensive lineup that has more shooting with the addition of Holiday and Turner than we currently have.
letskissbro
Rookie
And1: 1,394

Post#58 » by letskissbro » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:55 am

Doctor MJ wrote:I like the analogy with Curry as Coca-Cola. And then I'd say Iverson was Lean.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#59 » by LikeABosh » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:06 am

uberhikari wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

It could work

I think you gotta keep one of Kuzma/KCP/THT
uberhikari
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by uberhikari » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:33 am

LikeABosh wrote:
uberhikari wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

It could work

I think you gotta keep one of Kuzma/KCP/THT

If you get Turner and Holiday I don't see why you need to keep any one of those 3 players. But if you can keep 1, definitely do it.

The Lakers have a championship window circumscribed by LeBron's age. THT is not getting burn in the playoffs, nor is he on the same timeline as LBJ + AD, nor are the Lakers willing to overpay to keep him. KCP can be replaced by Holiday. This means the only thing you're really giving up is Kuzma.

The Lakers will finally get an elite, reliable 3pt shooter and their #1 defense gets even better. The Lakers are ~1.5 points per 100 possessions better than the #2 defense, and that's with AD missing almost half the season. Getting Turner would create an unholy defense. With Turner that potential Nets matchup looks even better for LA.

Return to Player Comparisons