Measuring team offense and defense

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Re: Measuring team offense and defense 

Post#21 » by Odinn21 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:24 am

Doctor MJ wrote:...

Your reservations remind me some people those couldn't get past abstract of my papers because their initial assumptions couldn't recognize that the point was being critical of those initial assumptions. We've been using rORtg as an indicator of offensive quality and calculating for what's to expected from pace is something to consider at worst, even though you might not agree it's being better.

"Do teams that play at a faster pace sacrifice on defense? If so, in what ways?"

There's a statistical dilemma about this because offensive and defensive possessions are different. If you backtrack the numbers I posted in my first message, you'd see that high paced teams had more possessions than their opponents. However, if you look at total tsa of the teams, you'd see that majority of the high paced teams attempted less chances to score points.

pbpstats.com has OPace/DPace numbers (seconds per possessions)
https://bit.ly/2Ook7LC

Let's combine all the things we know;
According to NBA.com numbers, 2005 Suns had 0.2 more possessions per 48 than their opponents. Their OPace was higher.
According to pbpstats.com numbers, 2005 Suns should have had 8% more possessions per 48 than their opponents.
But if we look at true shooting attempt totals, 2005 Suns' attempts to score were less than their opponents by 4%.
This happened because they let their opponents grab 5.5 offensive boards per 48 more than themselves. High paced teams tend to grab less offensive rebounds.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2005.html#all_misc_stats
If you look at pace/oreb/dreb distributions, you'd see that cost of high pace is not defense, it's rebounding disadvantage. And it's not just 2005 seasons.
To put what you're asking in numbers, we'd have to examine correlation between OReb and Pace numbers. Basically, it looks like "we give up on some boards to run the floor" and a need for a solution about "facing less possessions but more shots".

This is also important because as you can see, slow paced teams tend to grab more rebounds. If you look at oreb%+dreb%, the teams surpassing 100% mark are usually slow paced teams. If we do not calculate for what's to be expected from pace, high paced teams are at an advantage by design in rORtg/rDRtg approach.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,482

Post#22 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:16 pm

Odinn21 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:...

Your reservations remind me some people those couldn't get past abstract of my papers because their initial assumptions couldn't recognize that the point was being critical of those initial assumptions. We've been using rORtg as an indicator of offensive quality and calculating for what's to expected from pace is something to consider at worst, even though you might not agree it's being better.

Here's how I see it:

When you introduce a new statistical lens, you also introduce an explanation for this data is useful.

I've taken pains to say that I'm not saying that the calculations done here are fundamentally useless, but that it all depends on what it is specifically you're trying to use it for.

I've now seen more than one post from LA Bird wherein he really seems to think that this method is a better way of understanding offensive effectiveness than ORtg, and that means that fundamentally he's not just seeing this as some other thing to check out. He literally thinks it's an improvement on what came before.

And on this, I disagree.

Odinn21 wrote:
"Do teams that play at a faster pace sacrifice on defense? If so, in what ways?"

There's a statistical dilemma about this because offensive and defensive possessions are different. If you backtrack the numbers I posted in my first message, you'd see that high paced teams had more possessions than their opponents. However, if you look at total tsa of the teams, you'd see that majority of the high paced teams attempted less chances to score points.

pbpstats.com has OPace/DPace numbers (seconds per possessions)
https://bit.ly/2Ook7LC

Let's combine all the things we know;
According to NBA.com numbers, 2005 Suns had 0.2 more possessions per 48 than their opponents. Their OPace was higher.
According to pbpstats.com numbers, 2005 Suns should have had 8% more possessions per 48 than their opponents.
But if we look at true shooting attempt totals, 2005 Suns' attempts to score were less than their opponents by 4%.
This happened because they let their opponents grab 5.5 offensive boards per 48 more than themselves. High paced teams tend to grab less offensive rebounds.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2005.html#all_misc_stats
If you look at pace/oreb/dreb distributions, you'd see that cost of high pace is not defense, it's rebounding disadvantage. And it's not just 2005 seasons.
To put what you're asking in numbers, we'd have to examine correlation between OReb and Pace numbers. Basically, it looks like "we give up on some boards to run the floor" and a need for a solution about "facing less possessions but more shots".

This is also important because as you can see, slow paced teams tend to grab more rebounds. If you look at oreb%+dreb%, the teams surpassing 100% mark are usually slow paced teams. If we do not calculate for what's to be expected from pace, high paced teams are at an advantage by design in rORtg/rDRtg approach.

I think you're getting yourself all turned around now.

1. The way basketball analysts defined possessions is to not consider offensive rebounds the start of a new possession. The idea is to look at it in terms of a trip down the court. Were you successful or not? (And of course, you might score 1, 2, 3, or in rare cases, more points in that trip.)

The beauty of this is that it allows us ton consider offensive rebounding as just a part of the overall possession, with its impact on the success of the possession being accounted for indirectly with the scoreboard.

And in terms of true shooting attempts, this is irrelevant to the overall efficacy of the offense. Your goal is to score during your possession. Whether you make your first shot, or you get 3 offensive rebounds and make the 4th shot, the result is still the same.

2. Think through what you're saying about high paced teams giving up on boards to run the floor. When they do this, they are running the floor to get back for DEFENSE. You're literally talking about a situation where the team is sacrificing offense to improve their defense. As in, it's having a direct negative impact on ORtg already, and a direct positive impact on DRtg already, and yet you're brining it up as part of a campaign where you're looking to add an extra factor knocking the team's offense.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,284

Post#23 » by WestGOAT » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:22 pm

LA Bird wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:For example I don't completely follow how you created the dotted line if all teams are normalized to per 100 possessions, could you explain how you created the data points for that line? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding some obvious stuff.

The dotted line is the league average ORtg/DRtg. For that specific example (2010-11 season), it was 107.25 points per 100 possessions so the equation of the dotted line is points = 1.0725 × possessions. It is the same idea as the first diagram but instead of normalizing every team's points to 100 possessions, it's working backwards and extrapolating the league average scoring from 100 possessions to the range of possessions that teams played at.

As for the actual data, I would be very interested to know which teams are affected the most with this type of methodology you're using. I imagine it's the teams with the most extreme pace no? Does this mean teams in the 80s (high pace) have lower offensive ratings concomitant with higher defensive ratings and teams in the '00s (low pace) vice versa? Or should I actually be thinking of outlier (in pace) teams within seasons?

Teams which saw the largest changes were:
• 1995 Cleveland Cavaliers (-3.0 to +1.0 offense, -3.7 to +0.4 defense)
• 1982 Denver Nuggets (+7.4 to +3.6 offense, +7.0 to +3.1 defense)
• 1983 Denver Nuggets (+5.0 to +1.3 offense, +4.4 to +0.7 defense)
This only compare teams within season so it is the teams with extreme relative pace, not absolute pace, that is the most affected. Also worth noting that Russell's Celtics had the 5 of the 6 largest improvements on offense from using this methodology.

Interesting, so if I understand correctly, Cavs go from -3.0 dORTG (points/100 possession) to +1.0 points more scored than expected for a team that plays at a pace of 84.8?

My question now is, did you also include the Cavs as a data-point to create the line of best fit to describe the relationship between points and possessions? I think this would skew the results (I know the same is done when calculating dORTG/dDRtg, but intuitively I think this would be more of an issue with this methodology), since your loss-function is trying to minimize the difference between the "real" values and the "predicted" values (points scored/points allowed).

I mean basically, we want to see how much a team is an outlier compared to the other teams in that specific season right? In that case the line of best fit should be created with all the other teams besides the Cavs, and then you calculate the difference between values that'd be expected at a 84.8 pace, with the actual points that were scored/allowed by the Cavs. Maybe, something to consider especially when the league had a smaller amount of teams compared to now?
spotted in Bologna
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#24 » by Odinn21 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:06 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:I think you're getting yourself all turned around now.

1. The way basketball analysts defined possessions is to not consider offensive rebounds the start of a new possession. The idea is to look at it in terms of a trip down the court. Were you successful or not? (And of course, you might score 1, 2, 3, or in rare cases, more points in that trip.)

The beauty of this is that it allows us ton consider offensive rebounding as just a part of the overall possession, with its impact on the success of the possession being accounted for indirectly with the scoreboard.

And in terms of true shooting attempts, this is irrelevant to the overall efficacy of the offense. Your goal is to score during your possession. Whether you make your first shot, or you get 3 offensive rebounds and make the 4th shot, the result is still the same.

2. Think through what you're saying about high paced teams giving up on boards to run the floor. When they do this, they are running the floor to get back for DEFENSE. You're literally talking about a situation where the team is sacrificing offense to improve their defense. As in, it's having a direct negative impact on ORtg already, and a direct positive impact on DRtg already, and yet you're brining it up as part of a campaign where you're looking to add an extra factor knocking the team's offense.

1. Offensive rebounds matter in the sense that they are extra possession duration which would take away opponent's time. This is at the very least. Even if orebs are not acknowledged as possession gain, there's that.
It'd be naive to disregard orebs in the sense you're talking about. And I did not say orebs are new possessions. I said this;

You took in the way you wanted to argue against. I said the correlation must be statistically considered.

Here;
2005 Suns spent, without second chances, 13.04 seconds per possession on offense and 15.28 seconds per poss on defense.
With offensive boards, the numbers were 13.73 seconds on offense (+0.69 bump) and 16.15 seconds on defense (+0.87 bump).
How could we disregard this by saying offensive boards do not affect pace because they're already part of the possession they were in. Sheer extent and ratio are just different and that has to be in mind to account for.

2. How come you had that conclusion? Seriously.
Let's go back the Suns example. They grabbed 11.7 offensive boards per 48 and they let their opponents grab 15.0 offensive boards per 48 (made a calculation mistake in the previous post). They didn't crash the offensive glass hard to get back early and they didn't crash the defensive glass hard to run early. And looking at the extents here, they favoured the former more.
It's clear that their ORtg was inflated compared to their DRtg.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#25 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:44 pm

Odinn21 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:I think you're getting yourself all turned around now.

1. Offensive rebounds matter in the sense that they are extra possession duration which would take away opponent's time. This is at the very least. Even if orebs are not acknowledged as possession gain, there's that.

"take away opponent's time"? The opponent still gets 24 seconds once they get the ball, so the idea that you're taking away the opponent's time is largely illusion.

There's obviously an exception when you're talking about end-of-period situations that I'm not trying to say isn't real, but as part of a more broad possession-by-possession trend there's nothing of consequence there. A basketball strategy designed around minimizing the amount of time an offense has to work with just doesn't make sense.

(Note: There is more to this discussion to be had if people are interested. The fact that basketball possessions are forced to be so short in the shot clock era NBA is key to this too.)

Odinn21 wrote:It'd be naive to disregard orebs in the sense you're talking about. And I did not say orebs are new possessions. I said this;

You took in the way you wanted to argue against. I said the correlation must be statistically considered.

Re: "Didn't say ORebs are new possessions". You talk about them as opportunities. I pointed out that in basketball efficacy study what matters is possessions thus you're wrong to think that the opportunity must be explicitly accounted for. I wasn't putting words in your mouth you didn't say, I was pointing out something problematic in what your approach entails.

Re: "You took in the way you wanted to argue against". All I've done in this thread is zero in on what I think the most important thing is.

I do understand that I've been looking to focus on something that you and LA Bird don't want to focus on, but that doesn't mean I'm interpreting what you two are saying incorrectly. I think LA Bird has been pretty clear that he thinks this is a better way to evaluate a team's offense than ORtg, and so someone objecting to that conclusion is very much on topic even if the OP was mostly taken up by explanations of statistical techniques (which I thought were good!)

Odinn21 wrote:Here;
2005 Suns spent, without second chances, 13.04 seconds per possession on offense and 15.28 seconds per poss on defense.
With offensive boards, the numbers were 13.73 seconds on offense (+0.69 bump) and 16.15 seconds on defense (+0.87 bump).
How could we disregard this by saying offensive boards do not affect pace because they're already part of the possession they were in. Sheer extent and ratio are just different and that has to be in mind to account for.

You're going to have to connect the dots for me. How specifically are you saying this is important here?

Odinn21 wrote:2. How come you had that conclusion? Seriously.
Let's go back the Suns example. They grabbed 11.7 offensive boards per 48 and they let their opponents grab 15.0 offensive boards per 48 (made a calculation mistake in the previous post). They didn't crash the offensive glass hard to get back early and they didn't crash the defensive glass hard to run early. And looking at the extents here, they favoured the former more.
It's clear that their ORtg was inflated compared to their DRtg.

I don't follow your reasoning. Some of it may be do to your word phrasing - and Odinn I want to make clear, I admire very much what you're capable of in English given that it's not your first language, you've clearly got a big brain along more than one dimension.

Trying to comment on what does strike me:

First, I think it's completely fine if you want to point out the ways in which the Suns had an offensive orientation which, for various reasons, allowed them to excel more on offense but made defense more of a struggle. I'm not denying your ability to make such arguments.

In fact, what I'm actually suggesting is that that's the way it needs to be done. The last step in the analysis is the place where we move beyond objective data to the inherent subjective holistic assessment, and along the way we're forced to commit to various interpretations and make various assumptions that we know we know don't know everything about.

My concern lies in the moment we go beyond using statistics as tangible, meaning-bearing building blocks and begin to automate assumptions we know aren't always true.

And as I've tried to be clear, I said similar - but not identical - things about the APM -> RAPM -> XRAPM -> RPM evolution, so it's important to not take my criticism as a statement that I think there's something uniquely problematic about the OP's algorithm here.

Alright so, on "clear their ORtg was inflated":

I feel like what you're chasing here is a stat we could call "Offensive Impressiveness" which take what I'll call "Offensive Effectiveness" and adjusts based on a factor "Offense-Defense Orientation" to remove said inflation.

I'm saying two things to this:

1. I, too, see value in wanting this Offensive Impressiveness stat in addition to an Offensive Effectiveness stat.

2. But this stat doesn't do that. It deliver a nudge in the direction you believe is the right one, but you've not given a causal explanation for why we should consider that nudge (Pace) as a meaningful proxy for Offense-Defense Orientation.

Circling back:

One of the reasons it's problematic to normalize something without a theory of meaning is that you might literally have the causality backwards.

If Pace were something that had clear, direct causal impact on Offense, then it would absolutely make sense to have a stat that normalized for it.

But of course, Pace is a thing that gets set. By a team getting the ball, and then by what they do with the ball. Every possession, it's the offense initiating action. (How it is in most sports, but bat-and-ball games are a notable counter set.) Offense thus in a real sense creates Pace rather than the other way around.

Why would you want to normalize away the Effect when trying to assess the Cause?

LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#26 » by LA Bird » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:53 am

Doctor MJ wrote:First thing I want to say is that I hope I'm not coming across too negative. I think you clearly have the tools to do awesome things even if I'm not particularly excited about this specific lens.

We're cool. New methodologies should be able to stand up to scrutiny anyway.

Re: "using points per possession to directly compare teams playing at different paces...swimmers different events". No it doesn't, because basketball players are competing in the same event.

A more apt comparison here would be to compare freestyle, to backstroke, to butterfly, etc, because what we're actually talking about here are basketball teams choosing strategy. The difference between the sports is largely that swimming still awards medals for sub-optimal strokes whereas in basketball, if you choosing not attack as optimally as your opponents, you just get smoked.

Comparing the different strokes is more like comparing basketball to netball. The focus is on distance vs time, not stroke vs time. Minimizing time given a certain distance is the same idea as maximizing points given a certain number of possessions. Teams can choose the pace they play at just as swimmers can choose the distance they compete in. But whatever number of possession or distance they choose, their opponent will also be around the same level. You won't have a guy in the 50m freestyle competing against a 100m freestyle. And you won't have a NBA team getting 80 possessions in a game while the opponent gets 120. Any per possession offensive efficiency difference across total possessions is very small on a game by game level.

Also, an optimal basketball strategy includes both offense and defense, not just offense only. There is no correlation between MOV and possessions played so on average, nobody is smoking their opponent just by playing fast.

I'm not saying that you're hard-coding a penalty for playing fast, but if you're not suggesting that we should normalize ORtg by Pace, then yes, I'm confused by your intentions here.

Re: "If league ORtg goes up, that doesn't mean everyone's more efficient." It literally does mean that though.

If every steel factory starts using a better technique at some point on the production line, then they all get more efficient. I understand you're trying to say "relative to each other", but the word efficiency used here precisely because it's talking about how much bang you're getting for your buck in any given possession.

Re: "A strategy which only improves raw efficiency but not relative efficiency is not an efficient strategy at all." I would completely disagree with your characterization because it implies that when everyone starts using the superior strategy it stops being a superior strategy compared to what came before.

Consider the Fosbury Flop in the high jump. By virtue of it being a glaringly superior strategy that rendered all other strategies forever stupid in comparison, relatively quickly all the major jumpers adopted the new technique. By your approach and semantic labeling you'd suggest that this means that the Fosbury Flop was efficient only briefly at the moment when most jumpers hadn't adopted it yet, and as more jumpers adopted it, it lost its efficiency.

When the participants in the sport running in the direction of a particular strategy is improving all of their results, you coming in and saying "But you're not being efficient because everyone else is doing the same thing" just doesn't make sense.

You misquoted me. Everyone is more efficient =/= everyone is efficient. The first statement compares every team in a current situation against themselves in an earlier situation. This is absolute efficiency. It is possible for every team to be more efficient in absolute terms than they were before. The second statement compares every team against each other in the same current situation. This is relative efficiency. By definition, it is impossible for every team in a year to be relatively efficient, regardless of absolute efficiency. Some teams will be relatively efficient and some teams will be relatively inefficient. Relative ORtg itself is a relative efficiency stat.

The Fosbury flop is an improvement in absolute efficiency over previous techniques. It also provided a relative efficiency advantage for those few athletes who were the first to adopt it. Once everybody learned to use the technique and they are all on a level playing field, the Fosbury flop no longer gave a relative efficiency advantage to anyone, not even Fosbury himself. But the technique itself still holds an absolute efficiency advantage over previous methods. There is a key difference between absolute and relative efficiency. For basketball, both teams always play around the same possessions each game. They are on a level playing field already in terms of possessions so there is little relative efficiency advantage to be gained through any Fosbury flop like strategy when it comes to exploiting efficiency differences over different total possessions.

It's not a separate topic though. Consider:

If basketball were a sport where offense and defense were completely independent of each other, then it wouldn't make any sense at all to just a team's offense by anything other than ORtg, right?

I'm pointing right to the core thesis of why you started doing this statistical analysis in the first place, so it really is on topic even though it focuses on something that was not where you were directing the brunt of your energy in the OP.

I still don't know what you are trying to get at here. Yes, we know offense and defense are two sides of the same coin in basketball. But the core thesis of this analysis is on how league average scoring should be defined, not on balancing offense-defense tradeoffs. Once the league average line is fitted, how I evaluated offenses and defenses relative to the league average is the exact same process as relative ORtg/DRtg. So what exactly is the problem there?

The existing stat tells us how many points you score per possession.

Can you explain your stat so succinctly without using any words more esoteric than what I just used? I cannot, but you go ahead if you can.

Points scored relative to the league based on possessions played. It's the residuals in a y = bx + c model where y is points and x is possessions. This is standard approach for modeling the relationship between two variables. I would actually turn the question back to you and ask how you explain the logic behind relative ORtg. What is the reason to take the average of all the individual slopes (y/x) to model x and y? I don't know of any other time when this approach is taken instead of just fitting a linear model.

What I'm looking to say about your stat is that I don't see a justified causal explanation for why a given team's ORtg should be looked upon as effectively inflated simply because they are playing at a pace that correlates with higher ORtg in general.

To put it one other way, in my conversation with Odinn we reached a disconnect based on the fact that I was assuming that he was thinking that Pace could be effectively attributed as a Cause of higher ORtg, but in reality he wasn't concerned about Causality at all.

What is the justified causal explanation for why a given team's ORtg should be looked upon as inflated simply because they are playing in a league that correlates with higher ORtg in general? Are we concerned about establishing causality in this scenario first when we are currently using relative ORtg?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#27 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:14 pm

LA Bird wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:First thing I want to say is that I hope I'm not coming across too negative. I think you clearly have the tools to do awesome things even if I'm not particularly excited about this specific lens.

We're cool. New methodologies should be able to stand up to scrutiny anyway.

Glad to hear it LA Bird!

LA Bird wrote:
Re: "using points per possession to directly compare teams playing at different paces...swimmers different events". No it doesn't, because basketball players are competing in the same event.

A more apt comparison here would be to compare freestyle, to backstroke, to butterfly, etc, because what we're actually talking about here are basketball teams choosing strategy. The difference between the sports is largely that swimming still awards medals for sub-optimal strokes whereas in basketball, if you choosing not attack as optimally as your opponents, you just get smoked.

Comparing the different strokes is more like comparing basketball to netball. The focus is on distance vs time, not stroke vs time. Minimizing time given a certain distance is the same idea as maximizing points given a certain number of possessions. Teams can choose the pace they play at just as swimmers can choose the distance they compete in. But whatever number of possession or distance they choose, their opponent will also be around the same level. You won't have a guy in the 50m freestyle competing against a 100m freestyle. And you won't have a NBA team getting 80 possessions in a game while the opponent gets 120. Any per possession offensive efficiency difference across total possessions is very small on a game by game level.

Also, an optimal basketball strategy includes both offense and defense, not just offense only. There is no correlation between MOV and possessions played so on average, nobody is smoking their opponent just by playing fast.

Okay we need to make ontological distinctions here when you're saying stuff like "Teams can choose the pace they play just as swimmers can choose the distance they compete in". Yes there's volition involved, but one of these is a choice that is made long before the event in question, and the other choice is made during the game when looking to attack the other team.

I'll put it another way:

When you choose a swimming distance, you choose your competitors.

In the NBA, your goal is to score more points per possession than the team that's in front of you, and any choices you made within the context of beating that team falls within the realm of strategy. I think anything that looks to normalize away the effects of strategy when evaluating play is something to be careful with.

Re: Netball. I'm no expert on netball but to me it largely looks like basketball without dribbling. Thought it worth noting that you can play basketball using this strategy and that this was once the dominant way the best professional teams looked to play in the half court. Only reason we don't see it any more is that it's been supplanted by more effective strategy.

Netball then represents essentially a rule-handicapped version of basketball that forces inferior strategy a bit like soccer is a sport for humans where the rule is a "don't use the parts of the body that make humans special" handicap.

Not making any particular argument with that observation - I actually love soccer - just thought it was interesting.

LA Bird wrote:
I'm not saying that you're hard-coding a penalty for playing fast, but if you're not suggesting that we should normalize ORtg by Pace, then yes, I'm confused by your intentions here.

Re: "If league ORtg goes up, that doesn't mean everyone's more efficient." It literally does mean that though.

If every steel factory starts using a better technique at some point on the production line, then they all get more efficient. I understand you're trying to say "relative to each other", but the word efficiency used here precisely because it's talking about how much bang you're getting for your buck in any given possession.

Re: "A strategy which only improves raw efficiency but not relative efficiency is not an efficient strategy at all." I would completely disagree with your characterization because it implies that when everyone starts using the superior strategy it stops being a superior strategy compared to what came before.

Consider the Fosbury Flop in the high jump. By virtue of it being a glaringly superior strategy that rendered all other strategies forever stupid in comparison, relatively quickly all the major jumpers adopted the new technique. By your approach and semantic labeling you'd suggest that this means that the Fosbury Flop was efficient only briefly at the moment when most jumpers hadn't adopted it yet, and as more jumpers adopted it, it lost its efficiency.

When the participants in the sport running in the direction of a particular strategy is improving all of their results, you coming in and saying "But you're not being efficient because everyone else is doing the same thing" just doesn't make sense.

You misquoted me. Everyone is more efficient =/= everyone is efficient. The first statement compares every team in a current situation against themselves in an earlier situation. This is absolute efficiency. It is possible for every team to be more efficient in absolute terms than they were before. The second statement compares every team against each other in the same current situation. This is relative efficiency. By definition, it is impossible for every team in a year to be relatively efficient, regardless of absolute efficiency. Some teams will be relatively efficient and some teams will be relatively inefficient. Relative ORtg itself is a relative efficiency stat.

The Fosbury flop is an improvement in absolute efficiency over previous techniques. It also provided a relative efficiency advantage for those few athletes who were the first to adopt it. Once everybody learned to use the technique and they are all on a level playing field, the Fosbury flop no longer gave a relative efficiency advantage to anyone, not even Fosbury himself. But the technique itself still holds an absolute efficiency advantage over previous methods. There is a key difference between absolute and relative efficiency. For basketball, both teams always play around the same possessions each game. They are on a level playing field already in terms of possessions so there is little relative efficiency advantage to be gained through any Fosbury flop like strategy when it comes to exploiting efficiency differences over different total possessions.

Did I misquote you? What you say after that statement seems to say that you just used ambiguous language before and thus your point got confused. I like your use of absolute vs relative efficiency here. Effective disambiguation.

You're losing me again at the end though.

The Fosbury Flop exists in a sport that is highly analogous to the possession-based nature of basketball.

The advantage of the Fosbury Flop is that it will allow you to score more effectively in one attempt.

The advantage of offensive basketball strategy is that it will allow you to score more effectively in one possession.

LA Bird wrote:
It's not a separate topic though. Consider:

If basketball were a sport where offense and defense were completely independent of each other, then it wouldn't make any sense at all to just a team's offense by anything other than ORtg, right?

I'm pointing right to the core thesis of why you started doing this statistical analysis in the first place, so it really is on topic even though it focuses on something that was not where you were directing the brunt of your energy in the OP.

I still don't know what you are trying to get at here. Yes, we know offense and defense are two sides of the same coin in basketball. But the core thesis of this analysis is on how league average scoring should be defined, not on balancing offense-defense tradeoffs. Once the league average line is fitted, how I evaluated offenses and defenses relative to the league average is the exact same process as relative ORtg/DRtg. So what exactly is the problem there?

If I can use a new strategy on offense that improves ORtg (while also happening to affect the Pace in some way), and this new technique has no effect on defense, then why would we attach some kind of effective cost to this technique?

LA Bird wrote:
The existing stat tells us how many points you score per possession.

Can you explain your stat so succinctly without using any words more esoteric than what I just used? I cannot, but you go ahead if you can.

Points scored relative to the league based on possessions played. It's the residuals in a y = bx + c model where y is points and x is possessions. This is standard approach for modeling the relationship between two variables. I would actually turn the question back to you and ask how you explain the logic behind relative ORtg. What is the reason to take the average of all the individual slopes (y/x) to model x and y? I don't know of any other time when this approach is taken instead of just fitting a linear model.

I'd note that your explanation was more complicated than mine, as it couldn't help but be.

Re: "instead of just fitting a linear model". When you try to make the existing standard look like it's more work than your model you paint a problematic picture because it's just not the reality. You're the one trying to add an extra adjustment into the mix.

Re: "standard approach for modeling the relationship between two variables". Uh huh, and why do those techniques exist? To try to help us to identify correlations which for which we can posit causal theory for.

What I'm saying is that when you make the adjustment you do based on the correlation here, you're essentially assuming that Pace is acting as Cause while ORtg is the Effect. And I'm saying I object to this assumption.

LA Bird wrote:
What I'm looking to say about your stat is that I don't see a justified causal explanation for why a given team's ORtg should be looked upon as effectively inflated simply because they are playing at a pace that correlates with higher ORtg in general.

To put it one other way, in my conversation with Odinn we reached a disconnect based on the fact that I was assuming that he was thinking that Pace could be effectively attributed as a Cause of higher ORtg, but in reality he wasn't concerned about Causality at all.

What is the justified causal explanation for why a given team's ORtg should be looked upon as inflated simply because they are playing in a league that correlates with higher ORtg in general? Are we concerned about establishing causality in this scenario first when we are currently using relative ORtg?

Hmm. WelI, in general, I am reluctant to talk about era-offense being "inflated" simply because ORtg's are higher when I believe the shift to be do to strategic and skill-based improvement, as I think it paints the wrong picture.

I'm all for the use of league-average-adjusted rORtg & rDRtg for a variety of purposes - most notably getting your bearings within the context of understanding a particular season - but I would want to avoid directly attaching the concept of "inflation" here, because people tend to think "inflation" means counterfeit in some way.

And to put it in concrete: I don't think the GOAT offense is necessarily the one with the best ORtg or best rORtg. I like both stats, but I think the answer is more complicated than using one or the other, or frankly some new stat that tries to directly use both together.

I feel like I do need to end by making clear however that I see your pace adjustment as different from a league-average-ORtg adjustment, and I'm trying to think of something to say here to boil it down. I'll go back to swimming:

Let's say that we get some wave quantification detector that measures the amount of energy a swimmer gives to the water around him as he swims.

Let's say that they find that this energy-dissipation has outstanding correlation with how fast you swim, to the point where you can tell who won the race simply by looking at the energy dissipation data.

That means means you do all the things with those two variables - time and energy dissipation - that you could with any other two variables in statistics, and that also means you can normalize time performance with respect to energy of dissipation.

Now, the question: What would you try to use your new relative time score for?

I'm not saying it has no use, but what I am saying is that it would never make sense to argue that the person with the relative time score was a better swimmer than the guy who actually won the race.

Why? Most simply: Because the race is the thing. Your job is to go as fast as you can, however you can do it, within the parameters of the rules.

But also: Because the energy dissipated by the swimmer was done as a by product of him trying to swim as fast as he could. It's thus an Effect created by the Cause we're looking to study, and thus we don't want to normalize it away.

WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,284

Post#28 » by WestGOAT » Tue Jan 4, 2022 4:59 pm

LA Bird wrote:..

The google-sheet link is not working anymore; could you perhaps update it? I'm interested in using these numbers.

Also would it be possible to do one for the playoffs?
spotted in Bologna
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,529

Post#29 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jan 4, 2022 6:03 pm

I think the concept is decent I just think there is some issues like how in a single given season there's a SSS of teams playing at that team's pace (and especially the farther you go back in the league), it makes it harder to say there should be an "expected" offense/defense at that pace just based on that info. The alternative is using data from other seasons but then that brings up other issues. It's also possible to play at the same pace but have vastly different approach, the 60s Celtics and 80s Nuggets are really fast teams, but the Celtics were defense first. Likewise the Blazers with Roy were slowest team but their identity was still a finesse skill first type team opposed to a team like the Grindhouse Grizzlies. In general separating team offense/defense is flawed to me basketball is not football and the same players being on both sides means they are connected, I think it's possible for a team to try harder on one end of the floor or have a coaching strategy making them a one sided team, but then give it back on the other to end up with the same net result their talent deserves which is why W/L and point differential is the more important to me than Team Offense or Defense at the end of the day, but I've been banging that drum forever. When I look at a team like 2020 Mavericks who have historic good team offense I don't think "It says so much about how amazing Doncic is on offense he was able to carry Kristaps and some role players to SSOL Suns type offense", to me it's more like they were probably overperforming on offense for a variety of reasons including style of play, team culture, whatever, however you can't really fake the overall results and their actual end result (T-12 in Ws, 6th in SRS) was perfectly reasonable. I'm not convinced 2020 Mavs are a better offensive roster in reality than say 2009 Cavs (similar enough supporting cast team) or if Cavs sacrificed a bit more of their offense in comparison to be great defense/rebounding team.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#30 » by falcolombardi » Wed Jan 5, 2022 12:03 am

surprising stat there

from 2008 to 2018 lebron teams played against the #1 defense in the playoffs 9 out of 11 times
DQuinn1575
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#31 » by DQuinn1575 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 12:16 am

LA Bird wrote:This only compare teams within season so it is the teams with extreme relative pace, not absolute pace, that is the most affected. Also worth noting that Russell's Celtics had the 5 of the 6 largest improvements on offense from using this methodology.

I'll admit that I dont follow all this, but my concern is that you are using data going back to 1951, and we dont know the accuracy of the possession data pre mid 70s.

There are 3 reasons:

1. There was a change in the free throw rules in the early 70s which greatly reduced free throws shot. The multiplier on free throws to possession prior to this is incorrect as a result.

2. We don't know turnovers prior to this time.

3. We don't know offensive rebounds, or opponent rebounds prior to this time.

As a result of 2 and 3, the numbers are estimated. As a result of 1, the numbers are in error. We don't know the impact of these, but to include them in your work, and then have a result with 5 of the top 6 being the biggest outliers suggests a problem.

I strongly suggest you redo the numbers starting with better data and not guesses, and see how that looks.
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,248

Post#32 » by McBubbles » Wed Jan 5, 2022 12:57 am

Know nothing about statistics but I was curious about this even prior to the thread; Why the **** did the 2020 Bucks get waxed in 5 games if they / Giannis were supposedly godly on defence? In my head defence is even more resilience than offence, and it's not like the Heat were historically dominant on that end.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,746

Post#33 » by eminence » Wed Jan 5, 2022 1:37 am

McBubbles wrote:Know nothing about statistics but I was curious about this even prior to the thread; Why the **** did the 2020 Bucks get waxed in 5 games if they / Giannis were supposedly godly on defence? In my head defence is even more resilience than offence, and it's not like the Heat were historically dominant on that end.

Crowder hit his 3s, Bam hit his FTs, and nobody could bother Jimmy.
I bought a boat.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#34 » by falcolombardi » Wed Jan 5, 2022 2:41 am

eminence wrote:
McBubbles wrote:Know nothing about statistics but I was curious about this even prior to the thread; Why the **** did the 2020 Bucks get waxed in 5 games if they / Giannis were supposedly godly on defence? In my head defence is even more resilience than offence, and it's not like the Heat were historically dominant on that end.

Crowder hit his 3s, Bam hit his FTs, and nobody could bother Jimmy.

also a single series is incredibly volátile because of the small sample

a mediocre team could randomly get scorching hot amd torch a great defense, 4-7 games allows for a lot of weird thinghs, longer playoffs runs are a better sample to use ( and playoffs multi year stretches even more so)
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#35 » by LA Bird » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:01 am

WestGOAT wrote:The google-sheet link is not working anymore; could you perhaps update it? I'm interested in using these numbers.

I have reuploaded the link.

Playoffs version would have to be weighted by series since teams play different number of games and I don't know if data for individual playoff series can be collected that easily. Also, early series data don't seem to be 100% accurate due to incomplete box scores and that would completely throw off the results. For example, this series was played at around a pace of 102.6 but it is incorrectly listed at a pace of 68.9 instead:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/1983-nba-western-conference-finals-spurs-vs-lakers.html

DQuinn1575 wrote:I'll admit that I dont follow all this, but my concern is that you are using data going back to 1951, and we dont know the accuracy of the possession data pre mid 70s.

There are 3 reasons:

1. There was a change in the free throw rules in the early 70s which greatly reduced free throws shot. The multiplier on free throws to possession prior to this is incorrect as a result.

As a result of 2 and 3, the numbers are estimated. As a result of 1, the numbers are in error. We don't know the impact of these, but to include them in your work, and then have a result with 5 of the top 6 being the biggest outliers suggests a problem.

I strongly suggest you redo the numbers starting with better data and not guesses, and see how that looks.

All of these criticism on pace estimates, while valid, also apply to the ORtg / DRtg numbers that everybody is using right now. There is no better data available. The methodology outlined in this thread is not based on new data - it is just a different way of interpreting the existing data we already have.
DQuinn1575
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#36 » by DQuinn1575 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:30 am

LA Bird wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:The google-sheet link is not working anymore; could you perhaps update it? I'm interested in using these numbers.

I have reuploaded the link.

Playoffs version would have to be weighted by series since teams play different number of games and I don't know if data for individual playoff series can be collected that easily. Also, early series data don't seem to be 100% accurate due to incomplete box scores and that would completely throw off the results. For example, this series was played at around a pace of 102.6 but it is incorrectly listed at a pace of 68.9 instead:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/1983-nba-western-conference-finals-spurs-vs-lakers.html

DQuinn1575 wrote:I'll admit that I dont follow all this, but my concern is that you are using data going back to 1951, and we dont know the accuracy of the possession data pre mid 70s.

There are 3 reasons:

All of these criticism on pace estimates, while valid, also apply to the ORtg / DRtg numbers that everybody is using right now. There is no better data available. The methodology outlined in this thread is not based on new data - it is just a different way of interpreting the existing data we already have.

No, the criticism is of data pre mid 70s. Since then we have information that is fairly good.
I worded it poorly, by better data I meant starting from the mid70s. Many of your big differences come from data that is in the 60s, and I believe that is skewing your study.

Return to Player Comparisons