Where does LaMarcus Aldridge rank among Blazers players ALL TIME 

Post#1 » by TroubleS0me » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:07 pm

Make list a of where he ranked among all-time Blazers greats
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Re: Where does LaMarcus Aldridge rank among Blazers players ALL TIME 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:43 am

Drexler, Walton, Lillard, Porter, then LMA or Sheed, with Uncle Cliff not too far behind them. Lucas and Roy are light on longevity.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#3 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:11 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Drexler, Walton, Lillard, Porter, then LMA or Sheed, with Uncle Cliff not too far behind them. Lucas and Roy are light on longevity.

Isnt Walton light on the longevity also?
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#4 » by jptremblay » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:27 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:Drexler, Walton, Lillard, Porter, then LMA or Sheed, with Uncle Cliff not too far behind them. Lucas and Roy are light on longevity.

Not when he is the guy that bring their only championship to Portland while being the finals MVP.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:13 pm

CJ? Buck? Kersey? Paxson? Petrie?

Career win shares as a Blazer:
1. Drexler
-------------
2. Lilliard
---------------
3. Porter
4. LMA
5. Rasheed
6. Kersey
---------------
7. Buck
8. Paxson
9. Sabonis (surprised me!)
10. Uncle Cliffie
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,191

Post#6 » by TroubleS0me » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:59 pm

just realized Roy could have been higher if not for injuries
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#7 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:30 pm

Off the top of my head:

1. Walton
2. Drexler
3. Lillard
4. Porter
5. Sheed
6. Aldridge

One thing I'll just address up front is that I have zero qualms about putting Walton at the top despite his short career. It would certainly hurt Walton against stiffer competition, but none of these other guys have done anything that matter anywhere near as much as what Walton did for the Blazers, and while that's clearly about more than just playing basketball, Walton was also better at playing basketball than these other guys.

But with that said, over on the Top 100 thread, I'm advocating for Lillard without really addressing Walton right now, so the contradiction should be noted.

In the Top 100, while I still consider things from a franchise perspective to an extent, it's a bit more of a "Who would you draft?" thing for me. I think peak Walton gives you a better chance to win a title than Drexler or Lillard, but would you rather bank your GM/coach career that everything will come together like it did in 1977 when you know how touch & go his injury situation is going to be? Probably not.

But for the Blazers, Walton actually did it.

I've only talked about the Top 3 so far, and that's because I do see it as a clear cut Top Tier. I could see arguments for Aldridge as high as 4, or I could see him lower (Buck & Sabas come to mind), but he's definitely in that second tier.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,191

Post#8 » by TroubleS0me » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:41 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Off the top of my head:

1. Walton
2. Drexler
3. Lillard
4. Porter
5. Sheed
6. Aldridge

One thing I'll just address up front is that I have zero qualms about putting Walton at the top despite his short career. It would certainly hurt Walton against stiffer competition, but none of these other guys have done anything that matter anywhere near as much as what Walton did for the Blazers, and while that's clearly about more than just playing basketball, Walton was also better at playing basketball than these other guys.

But with that said, over on the Top 100 thread, I'm advocating for Lillard without really addressing Walton right now, so the contradiction should be noted.

In the Top 100, while I still consider things from a franchise perspective to an extent, it's a bit more of a "Who would you draft?" thing for me. I think peak Walton gives you a better chance to win a title than Drexler or Lillard, but would you rather bank your GM/coach career that everything will come together like it did in 1977 when you know how touch & go his injury situation is going to be? Probably not.

I've only talked about the Top 3 so far, and that's because I do see it as a clear cut Top Tier. I could see arguments for Aldridge as high as 4, or I could see him lower (Buck & Sabas come to mind), but he's definitely in that second tier.

Sheed over LA? why
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#9 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:04 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:Off the top of my head:

1. Walton
2. Drexler
3. Lillard
4. Porter
5. Sheed
6. Aldridge

Sheed over LA? why

Well, I think Sheed was a better player.

Back when Sheed was in Portland quite frankly I wasn't that high on him because I thought of him as a guy who was falling short of his potential in part because of an attitude problem. When we got a chance to see data like +/- numbers though, it became clear that Sheed really seemed to impact like a star at all times. While Sheed was generally considered the best player on those teams, it was always seen as something of an ensemble in part because no one was a super-high volume scorer, but the data really makes clear that Sheed stood out over everyone else more than I realized.

This matters for peak consideration, but also matters in terms of blame for the Blazers fading while Sheed was still young. Given that he was having really quality impact basically the whole time, I think I overrated how problematic his attitude was to on court play.

Moreover, to the extent it matters: It's worth noting that Sheed was very popular in the Blazer fan community, rather than someone the fanbase loathed.

What I'll also say though is that Sheed's turn with the Pistons further shapes how I see him as a player in general, and thus informs my assessment of Sheed in Portland. This was a flexible dude who really played without ego in relation to his teammates.

Which brings us back to Aldridge whose ego was a problem. Aldridge happily talked about being a Blazer for life until Lillard started eclipsing him. It was such a strange thing to me at the time because the Blazers clearly weren't going to be contenders built around Aldridge so I'd have expected him to embrace having more talent on the team, but instead he got insecure.

And I'll note, something similar happened in San Antonio. While one can look back on those Spurs and think that Aldridge was looking to upgrade from Lillard to Kawhi, the reality is that he was not expecting Kawhi to be the better offensive threat (Kawhi had only averaged 16 PPG the previous year), and when it became clear that Kawhi would be the focal point of the new offense, Aldridge asked for a trade and only relented when Pop assured him that he still was a part of the plan.

I know it's rather ugly for me to talk about Aldridge's ego while we're in the wake of him retiring to protect his life - something I feel nothing but for him on as I still remember what happened to Hank Gathers - but the truth is that Aldridge was a 2nd banana who got insecure when he was asked to play 2nd banana, and that was a problem.

A horrible, horrible problem? Maybe, maybe not, but I'd note that in practice it was more problematic for his teams than Sheed being Sheed.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#10 » by KobesScarf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:07 am

Maybe 6th behind Walton Lucas Drexler Lillard and CJ
penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#11 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:13 am

KobesScarf wrote:Maybe 6th behind Walton Lucas Drexler Lillard and CJ

Mo only spent 3.5 years in Portland, not sure he belongs in this company.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Post#12 » by feyki » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:33 pm

Drexler and Lilliard are clearly ahead of him. Then we could argue his Blaz career against Porter,Walton,Roy kind of names.
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
TheBomb81
Pro Prospect
And1: 64

Post#13 » by TheBomb81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:30 am

jptremblay wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

Not when he is the guy that bring their only championship to Portland while being the finals MVP.

He also won the 1977-78 MVP.
TheBomb81
Pro Prospect
And1: 64

Post#14 » by TheBomb81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:39 am

I Think he ranks in the 6-7 range.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#15 » by trex_8063 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:46 pm

I assume this is asking "based solely on his career in Portland"......which is a question I reallly struggle with, as I don't break up my player-career evaluations into "X-amount of value in a Blazer jersey, Y-amount in a Spurs jersey....", etc. I just look at a player's whole career, and ignore the uniforms.

Off-the-cuff, I think I probably still have Drexler as #1 for his career in Portland, and Lillard is up to #2.
After that, it's either Terry Porter or LaMarcus Aldridge for me (if I broke up their respective careers, I suspect it would be really close).

I'm not sure there's anyone else tremendously close for me. Sheed maybe.
Jerome Kersey, Buck Williams, Bill Walton would come after, but I don't think any of them would be particularly close to Porter or LMA for me.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd

Return to Player Comparisons