Dunc'd On's top player rankings

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

dcstanley
Sixth Man
And1: 1,288

Dunc'd On's top player rankings 

Post#1 » by dcstanley » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:48 pm

The Dunc'd On pod did their annual player rankings this week and I figured their conclusions could be worthy of discussion. They put out a number of disclaimers before diving into their rankings: for starters, they're mainly concerned with ceiling raising or championship equity as opposed to floor raising.. So the ability to scale on better teams is considered a priority. Players that can only play in a specific scheme due to exploitable flaws get a demerit (Harden's inability to get over screens thus requiring his teams to almost exclusively employ a switching strategy is mentioned as an example). Lastly, shot creation is the skill that they deem the most valuable.

I certainly have some qualms with both of their rankings but I do think their methodology is sound. Obviously, they go in to greater detail explaining why each player is ranked where they are so if you're interested in that I recommend listening to the podcast. For the purposes of this thread, I am curious to see where folks agree and disagree and how the board would rank these players using a tiering system.
Spoiler:
Nate Duncan:
Tier 1
1. Lebron James

Tier 2
2. Kawhi Leonard
3. Steph Curry

Tier 3
4. Anthony Davis
5. Kevin Durant
6. Giannis Antetokounmpo
7. Joel Embiid
8. Luka Doncic

Tier 4
9. Nikola Jokic
10. Damian Lillard
11. James Harden

Danny Leroux:
Tier 1
1. Lebron James
2. Kawhi Leonard
3. Kevin Durant

Tier 2
4. Steph Curry
5. Giannis Antekounmpo
6. Anthony Davis

Tier 3
7. Joel Embiid
8. Luka Doncic
9. Nikola Jokic
10. Damian Lillard

Tier 4
11. James Harden.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Re: Dunc'd On's top player rankings 

Post#2 » by Dutchball97 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:19 pm

I get the idea behind it but both lists seem to lose their own logic along the way. If this is based on how likely the players are to lead a team to a championship why do both of them have Harden below Lillard? How has Luka proven to give you better chances at a ring than Jokic, Dame and Harden after one play-off series? If this is based on actual performance so far in the play-offs, Embiid should be at the bottom. If the current season is such a boost for Embiid, why doesn't Jokic get the same treatment after already playing well in the post-season. AD 4th seems a bit generous as well, before last year he really hadn't achieved much yet in the play-offs.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,755

Post#3 » by LukaTheGOAT » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:29 pm

Here's a link to the podcast, in case anyone needs it http://nateduncannba.com/podcast-episodes/top-20-players-nba-2020-21/
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,239

Post#4 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:42 pm

Leroux constantly throws me off. KD in tier 1 right now, really? We’re going based off of things that happened 2+ years ago?
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,588

Post#5 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:29 pm

I think the interesting for me is how to rank Jokic. The guy is so unique in history that it can be complicated to fully understand the theory behind him the way they are trying to do.
To me the key thing is that his skills are so unique that they allow a different team building also from a defensive standpoint, putting next to him guys you wouldn't be able to afford altogether with a lesser offensive center.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!

Return to Player Comparisons