RealGM 2020 Top 100 Project: #88 (Jeff Hornacek)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

RealGM 2020 Top 100 Project: #88 (Jeff Hornacek) 

Post#1 » by trex_8063 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:45 pm

2020 List
1. LeBron James
2. Michael Jordan
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Bill Russell
5. Tim Duncan
6. Wilt Chamberlain
7. Magic Johnson
8. Shaquille O'Neal
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Larry Bird
11. Kevin Garnett
12. Kobe Bryant
13. Jerry West
14. Oscar Robertson
15. Dirk Nowitzki
16. Karl Malone
17. David Robinson
18. Julius Erving
19. George Mikan
20. Moses Malone
21. Charles Barkley
22. Kevin Durant
23. Chris Paul
24. Stephen Curry
25. Bob Pettit
26. John Stockton
27. Steve Nash
28. Dwyane Wade
29. Patrick Ewing
30. Walt Frazier
31. James Harden
32. Scottie Pippen
33. Elgin Baylor
34. John Havlicek
35. Rick Barry
36. Jason Kidd
37. George Gervin
38. Clyde Drexler
39. Reggie Miller
40. Artis Gilmore
41. Dolph Schayes
42. Kawhi Leonard
43. Isiah Thomas
44. Russell Westbrook
45. Willis Reed
46. Chauncey Billups
47. Paul Pierce
48. Gary Payton
49. Pau Gasol
50. Ray Allen
51. Dwight Howard
52. Kevin McHale
53. Manu Ginobili
54. Dave Cowens
55. Adrian Dantley
56. Sam Jones
57. Bob Lanier
58. Dikembe Mutombo
59. Elvin Hayes
60. Paul Arizin
61. Anthony Davis
62. Robert Parish
63. Bob Cousy
64. Alonzo Mourning
65. Nate Thurmond
66. Allen Iverson
67. Tracy McGrady
68. Alex English
69. Vince Carter
70. Wes Unseld
71. Tony Parker
72. Rasheed Wallace
73. Dominique Wilkins
74. Giannis Antetokounmpo
75. Kevin Johnson
76. Bobby Jones
77. Bob McAdoo
78. Shawn Marion
79. Dennis Rodman
80. Larry Nance
81. Ben Wallace
82. Hal Greer
83. Grant Hill
84. Sidney Moncrief
85. Damian Lillard
86. Chris Bosh
87. Horace Grant
88. ???

Target stop-time about 9:30-10am EST on Saturday.

Spoiler:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:.

Ambrose wrote:.

Baski wrote:.

bidofo wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

DCasey91 wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

DQuinn1575 wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dutchball97 wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

eminence wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

Franco wrote:.

Gregoire wrote:.

Hal14 wrote:.

HeartBreakKid wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

iggymcfrack wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

Joe Malburg wrote:.

Joey Wheeler wrote:.

Jordan Syndrome wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

lebron3-14-3 wrote:.

limbo wrote:.

Magic Is Magic wrote:.

Matzer wrote:.

Moonbeam wrote:.

Odinn21 wrote:.

Owly wrote:.

O_6 wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

PistolPeteJR wrote:.

[quote=”sansterre”].[/quote]
Senior wrote:.

SeniorWalker wrote:.

SHAQ32 wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

Tim Lehrbach wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

Whopper_Sr wrote:.

ZeppelinPage wrote:.

2klegend wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

876Stephen wrote:.

90sAllDecade wrote:.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Re: RealGM 2020 Top 100 Project: #88 

Post#2 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:48 pm

Criteria

Spoiler:
I'm a pretty big peak guy, I'm not that interested in value of total seasons. The value of multiple seasons to me is to give me a greater sample size to understanding how good they were on the court, not necessarily the totality of their impact through out the years.

I also value impact over all else, and I define impact as the ability to help a team win games. Boxscore stats, team accolades and individual accolades (unless I agree with them personally) have very little baring on my voting so some names will look a bit wonky. The reason why I ignore accolades and winningness is because basketball is a team game and the players are largely not in control of the quality of their teammates or the health of their team (or their own personal health in key moments), thus I don't see the value of rating players based on xx has this many MVPs versus this guy has this many rings. In addition, I simply find this type of analysis boring because it's quite easy to simply look at who has a bigger laundry list of accomplishments.

1) Bill Walton. He is the best player by far here. He was probably a top 3 player in the world during his last couple years in college as well, though I believe this is NBA only. I am quite certain that Bill Walton is a top 20 peak ever. He is a top ten defensive anchor which alone adds more value than anyone left, and his offensive passing can generate very efficient offenses without him needing to score.

2)) Nikola Jokic. #2 vote I'll give to the only guy who is large and passes better than Walton. I'm not a longevity guy but Jokic has actually been a star caliber player for longer than people think. He was greatly underplayed in his 2nd season and Malone was criticized for that even back then. He has 4 seasons of all-star impact and two seasons where I had him as the 2nd best player in the league. I do think his offense is so special from his position that it causes an imbalance that makes him more valuable than two way bigs. His scoring ability might be the best among all the bigs left, and what's great about him is that he doesn't need to score a lot to have impact. Walton's defense is so intense that I can't imagine taking Jokic over that, but everyone else left is a tier or 2 down from either Walton's offense or his defense.

3) Connie Hawkins . He was widely seen as the best player in the early days of the ABA and was believed that he would have been a dominant force had he been in the NBA. He was generally rated higher than Rick Barry while they were both in the ABA (a player who got in a long time ago), and the stats and results seem to back that up as well. His interior scoring, great passing and rebounding make him an easy candidate.

Draymond Green > Porter > G Williams > Issel > Hornacek > Cunningham > Dennis Johnson > Archibald > Lucas > C Anthony > Bellamy > DeBusschere
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Post#3 » by Dutchball97 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:51 pm

1. Nikola Jokic - I might be voting for Jokic for a while but I think he deserves to make the list at least. Jokic' case is very similar to Giannis in my opinion. Both have 4 high level years along with 1 other positively contributing year. While both have 4 great regular seasons it is clear Giannis has the edge up till 2020, which is why I have him ahead. The difference in longevity is just Giannis' first two years when he was barely a replacement level player so if you're fine with Giannis being voted in this range, how can you justify not having Jokic not in your top 100 at all? Their play-off resumes are comparable at this point as well. Giannis has 5.8 WS and 3.4 VORP in the post-season so far compared to 5.5 WS and 3.5 VORP for Jokic. Giannis has reached the play-offs more often (5 times) than Jokic (2 times) but both have 3 play-off series wins at this point. While Giannis has played 10 more games than Jokic, the reason why the numbers are still close is that both of Jokic' runs were arguably better than any of Giannis' play-off outings. It's a shame some of the voters don't consider him for the top 100 project at all but at this point of the list we're all simply going to have to accept players will receive votes that others don't have among their next 25 picks at all.

2. Gus Williams - While another voter already has Dennis Johnson on his ballot, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned his teammate on the 79 champion Supersonics yet tbh. Gus Williams was only a 2 time All-Star so I understand he might fly under the radar for some people but this massively undervalues him. His prime quality and duration really isn't much different than Ben Wallace. It maybe shouldn't be a surprise I'm this high on Gus WIlliams because I've consistently put a big emphasis on play-off performance and Gus was a post-season savant who consistently stepped his game up when it counted most. After being the best player for the 78 Sonics that lost game 7 of the finals, he went on to post a 23.8 PER, .210 WS/48 and 6.7 BPM alongside a league leading 2.7 WS and 1.3 VORP on the way to a championship the next year. That isn't the end of Gus Williams being amazing in the play-offs though. In the 1980, 82, 83 and 84 post-seasons he had 20+ PER, .150+ WS/48 and 6+ BPM in every single one of those campaigns.

3.Terry Porter - Like Gus Williams, Terry Porter is only a 2-time All-Star but just like with Gus this underrates Porter's prime significantly. Porter's prime was cut short but he still managed 6 very strong seasons from 87/88 till 92/93. In the play-offs he was always solid but his main case there are 3 very strong consecutive post-seasons in 1990, 91 and 92. He played 58 play-off games over that 3 year stretch and was playing at a high level throughout. I think Gus Williams just has a few more really strong post-seasons but other than that I don't see much seperating them.

Anfernee Hardaway > Draymond Green > Jimmy Butler > James Worthy > Paul George > Jeff Hornacek > Dan Issel > Kyle Lowry > Billy Cunningham > Jerry Lucas > Walt Bellamy > Carmelo Anthony > Maurice Cheeks > Andrei Kirilenko > Eddie Jones > Bill Walton > Connie Hawkins > Dennis Johnson > Dave DeBusschere > Tiny Archibald
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by trex_8063 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:00 pm

1st vote: Dan Issel
As was discussed in the #81 thread (circa-post 30), Dan Issel is sort of like Amar'e Stoudemire (not in style, but in substance)......except with good longevity/durability.
He wasn't much defensively [though probably better than Stat], but he scored and scored and scored (and fairly efficiently: +3.3% rTS for his entire 15-year career, with a solid turnover economy too).

We're talking about the guy who is 11th all-time in career ABA/NBA combined points scored. He's ahead of Hakeem and Elvin Hayes. He's ahead of guys who pretty much hang their hats on being great scorers [and not much else] and who've already been voted in [e.g. Dominique Wilkins, Alex English, Adrian Dantley], as well as Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, Reggie Miller, Oscar Robertson, John Havlicek, Rick Barry, etc etc etc.

He's also #31 all-time in career rebounds.
He's #23 all-time in career rs WS--->the highest ranked player still on the table; he's actually the ONLY player in the top 39 all-time still not voted on to this list (one of only TWO players [with Walt Bellamy] in the top 49 all-time who are not yet on this list).
Going into this current season he was #80 all-time [or since 1973] in career VORP.

He was only awarded an All-Star appearance once in the NBA [though 6 consecutive years in the ABA], but look at his numbers: he was posting All-Star calibre metrics year after year pretty much until his 14th season.

I don't think there's any way he can't at least be in the discussion.

2nd vote: Carmelo Anthony
For me this one has got to be one of Webber, LaMarcus, or Melo; I've tentatively landed on Melo.
As sansterre elaborated upon in his greatest teams project (#4 team), there is perhaps an edge in the modern era in having a reasonably efficient high-usage perimeter player.
I do think a prime/peak Melo COULD have been the 1st-option on a contender team; tbh, I think the '09 Nuggets more or less proved that [they were darn near a contender; just a pinch stronger extended depth could have done it, imo]. NOTE: I'm drawing a clear distinction between "1st option" and "best player"......they are NOT necessarily the same thing.

A title with Melo as your best player?......no, probably not. But with him as your 1st option scorer? Yes, I think it's possible.
And what's more, I think he more or less proved in playing next to Iverson, Billups, Amar'e, and on the Olympic teams that he can co-exist next to other high-octane superstar scorers.

And going into this current season, Melo was 14th in all of NBA/ABA history in total points scored. imo, there are simply not a lot of players who---in any circumstance---would have been capable of achieving that in a competitive era.

And fwiw, I think he's one of those players for whom the noise occasionally was not "filtered out" in his impact metrics. For example in '13: looking at the rest of the cast, I simply find it hard to believe that the Knicks achieved that degree of success [and the best offense in franchise history], without a fair chunk of it being tied to him.

So anyway, I'm going with him.

3rd vote: Chris Webber
Could easily go with LaMarcus Aldridge here, too, who I truly think belongs in the top 100. Kinda just a coin-flip in my mind, and maybe I'm being marginally strategic in that I think Webber is more likely to garner traction before LMA. We'll see; I may opt to switch this one.
Zelmo Beaty, who I'm coming to think is VERY underrated historically is the other guy who's quite close. Guys like Sikma, Cheeks, are also [somewhat] in the vicinity.
I'll try to write up something in favour of Webber at some point.

Among those who have received votes of any kind or traction:
Issel > Melo > Webber > LMA > Beaty > Cheeks > Sikma > Porter > Walker > DeBusschere > Hornacek > Hawkins > G.Williams > D.Johnson > Cunningham > Walton > Jokic > Tiny (may change the order on Walton/Jokic/Tiny as we go along, but this is how I'm currently feeling).
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#5 » by Odinn21 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:06 pm

88. Billy Cunningham
I initially thought of Bosh for this spot but Cunningham was also a borderline superstar, I think Cunningham as a player was on the same level as Bosh but he was on that level in a time being on that level was harder and more of an outlier. Also Cunningham's total prime duration, despite being less, comes off as bigger than Bosh's with a consideration for era standards.
Though this is definitely open to discussion and I'd like to get some feedbacks on Cunningham vs. players with traction already in Bosh, Grant, Bellamy and Issel.

89. Gus Williams
It's interesting to me that a player with similar prime but worse postseason resilience made the list before Gus in Lillard.
Gus had decent prime duration, elite peak and prime level. Had he not sat out a season with a contract dispute, I’d probably make a case for him earlier. But that season without him showed how valuable he was.
1979 Sonics, 52 wins and title with Gus, Sikma and DJ
1980 Sonics, 56 wins and WCF loss against the eventual champions with Gus, Sikma and DJ
1981 Sonics, 34 wins and no playoffs with only Sikma (Gus sat out, DJ was traded away for Westphal and Westphal played only 36 games)
1982 Sonics, 52 wins and 2nd round exit with Gus and Sikma (Westphal wasn’t in Seattle in that season)

90. Walt Bellamy
His prime has some inconsistencies but he had a career trajectory of a ‘00s player in the ‘60s with good quality. It’s all there for him.
(In terms of first few seasons, Bellamy and Hawkins are pretty similar but curious about why Hawkins should be a better candidate than Bellamy, Cunningham, Isabel with their entire careers. It’s arguable that Hawkins peaked higher to begin with...)

D. Issel > D. DeBusschere > C. Webber > T. Porter > N. Jokic > C. Anthony > C. Hawkins > B. Walton > N. Archibald > N. Johnston > J. Hornacek > D. Johnson
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
sansterre
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,814

Post#6 » by sansterre » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:22 pm

1. Jeff Hornacek - There are simply not metrics that he looks bad in. His BackPicks BPM, Win Shares CORP and VORP CORP are all well above average for this group. His PIPM is a little underwhelming, though still above average. And his peak WOWYR of +5.2 is one of the best in this group. Surprising, right? And yet, he's weirdly excellent.

Let's imagine that we looked for strong (but not dominant) shooting guard seasons. We're looking for a 2nd/3rd option, so sub 22% usage. He needs to break an OBPM of +2, TS above 57% and post PPX above 22. But we want him to be a solid passer who doesn't make mistakes, so AST% > 22% and TO% below 12.5%. That's a pretty specific player I just asked for. But Hornacek had six of those seasons; nobody else had more than 1. What if I loosened the terms? If I allowed usage rates higher than 22% I'd get Jordan and Kyrie tying with him. If I dropped the shooting efficiency requirement Fat Lever had four of those seasons. If I remove the assist requirement Hornacek had 8 seasons, with Reggie Miller and J.J. Reddick having 5 each. My point is, I'll stipulate that Hornacek was only an average usage player. But within those constraints he 1) scored efficiently, 2) passed well (or at least for volume), 3) turned the ball over very little (Assist:TO of 2.5 for much of his career) and 4) overall contributed to offenses at a solid level. And he did it for a long freaking time. He never really had a "Peak" because his seasons were metronomically excellent. He put up four straight 3+ VORP seasons in Phoenix, then another five in Utah. So if you're trying to remember Hornacek's time when he dominated the league . . . you won't find it. He was merely really good for a very long time.

And he kept showing up on strong teams. His age 25 season (1989) was when the Suns took a big step forward. Was he the one driving it? No, KJ was. But Johnson surely benefited from the spacing that Hornacek provided. And by VORP, Hornacek was the 2nd best player on both the '89 and '90 Suns (two teams that made my Top 100 list). In '92 The Suns posted a +5.68 RSRS with Hornacek as their best player (according to VORP). From 1992 to 1993 the Suns replaced Hornacek with Danny Ainge, and replaced Tim Perry and Andrew Lang with Charles Barkley and Cedric Ceballos. And the team's RSRS improved by . . . +0.59. Perry + Lang -> Barkely + Ceballos is clearly a monster upgrade. And Danny Ainge was no pushover. Was losing Hornacek a bigger blow than we thought? I don't want to overplay it; KJ missed almost half the year and that was clearly a driving force. And I'm not trying to sell you on the idea that Hornacek was a Barkley-level player. He wasn't. But even with KJ missing some time, you'd think the jump from '92 to '93 would be bigger than it was. Unless Hornacek was actually better than anyone realized.

And then Utah. Here are their seasons starting at '93:

1993: 47-35, +1.74 RSRS
1994: 53-29, +4.10 RSRS
1995: 60-22, +7.76 RSRS
1996: 55-27, +6.25 RSRS
1997: 64-18, +7.97 RSRS

They acquired Hornacek in the middle of one of those seasons; any guesses which?

Look. This is all slightly circumstantial. There are other factors that explain why the Jazz went from being decent to being the best team in the conference besides Jeff Hornacek. But Hornacek was clearly a big part of it.

Naysayers would argue that Hornacek was a bad first option. This is totally true. He had no business running your offense as the primary ball handler. But as long as he wasn't asked to take more than 20% of the team's shots he'd space the floor, can shots at a well-above average rate, pass well, not screw anything up and generate a fair number of steals. And the combination of these things had a consistent and genuine impact, even if no one of them is particularly remarkable.

We don't have AuRPM for his whole career, but here are his numbers with the Jazz starting at Age 31:

+3.4, +2.8, +5.9, +5.2, +4.5, +3.1

Two +5 seasons toward the tail-end of his career? That's damned impressive.

2. Terry Porter - Porter is a weird mix of peak and longevity. He played 35k minutes, with 13 different seasons posting higher than a +1 OBPM, and 9 different seasons posting higher than a +2 OBPM. And he retained fair value even late in his career, posting back-to-back +4 AuRPM seasons for the Spurs at the turn of the century. He's 55th in offensive win shares all-time, and 45th in VORP all-time. Most metrics really like Porter; he's more than one standard deviation above the mean in both PIPM and VORP, and his win shares and BackPicks ratings are still well above average.

Porter was a weird sort of tweener-guard. He rarely posted higher than league average usage rates, but made up for it with efficiency (consistently scoring in the +4 to +6% range) passing well (assist% in the 25-35% range) and being a fair ballhawk (ten different seasons at 2%+ steals). His seven-year peak:

19.9% Usage, +4.5% rTS, 30.5% Ast, 2.2% Steals, 15.4% TO, +3.3 OBPM, +3.9 BPM

It's good, but not great (though again, it's a strong peak combined with a lot of longevity). But in the playoffs he got better. For his nine-year playoff peak (89-97):

20.2% Usage, +7.3% rTS, 26.1% Ast, 1.6% Steals, 12.2% TO, +4.5 OBPM, +4.8 BPM

So in the playoffs (and in fairness, I'm taking slightly different years), Porter slowed as a distributor and grew into an extremely efficient scorer. A nine-year playoff peak with an OBPM at +4.5? That's pretty nice. I'll give you a hint on this; McHale didn't have a nine-year playoff peak at that level (though select seasons were certainly better).

Regular season Terry Porter? He was a strong player with a decently long career and a good peak. But playoff Terry Porter? Playoff Terry Porter was *really* good. Do you know how many players increase both usage and shooting against playoff defenses? Not a lot of them. But Terry Porter is absolutely on that list.

3. Draymond Green - Draymond is a weird player to evaluate. Normally I'm big on longevity and Draymond is still playing. But his peak (by certain metrics) was crazy. He's an insane ceiling raiser, like Ben Wallace but better. And unlike the Ben Wallace argument "Yeah, but having him kills your offense" you really can't argue that for Draymond. Because he was on a lot of extremely strong offenses. He wasn't a great scorer by a long shot, but he was an outstanding passer. A lot of people don't realize that Draymond often averaged more Assists/100 than Curry did (the two were neck and neck during their peak years). So despite not being a good scorer (and he was okay, averaging around league average shooting on high teens usage) he actually tended toward being a net positive on offense from all the impact data we have. And his ability to play a hyper-aware long-armed center in a lineup of all athletic wings (and Curry) transformed the Warriors. I'm not making any argument that Green is as valuable to the Warriors as Curry was. But his AuRPM numbers actually come out looking really close to Curry, and in 2017 were above Durant in both AuRPM and RAPM.

The Warriors from 2015 to 2018 were four of the best teams ever and every impact metric we have suggests that Draymond was a very close 2nd in value on three of them. Unlike shot-blocking bigs like Embiid and Gobert, Draymond's defensive value tends to go up in the playoffs. Because smart switchability is a serious asset in playoff defense and Draymond has that as well as anyone.

Do I have him too high here? Maybe. His 2016 PIPM kind of broke my metric. But the impact metrics scream that he was one of the most valuable players in the league during his peak.

Was he a crap floor-raiser? Definitely. And if you like floor-raisers or wins-added, then Draymond is probably far lower on your list.

But we have to make our peace with the fact that he may have been one of the greatest ceiling-raisers ever. And there's some serious value there. From a CORP point of view, he has a pretty respectable argument.

Hornacek > Terry Porter > D.Green > Kyle Lowry > Eddie Jones > Bellamy > Z.Beaty > Jokic > A.Kirilenko > M.Cheeks > B.Walton > P.George > Webber > LaMarcus Aldridge > D.Issel > A.Iguodala > Schrempf > G.Williams > J.Worthy > C.Anthony > Lucas > Cunningham > A.Hardaway > D.DeBusschere >J.Butler > M. Johnson > B.King > D.Johnson > C.Hawkins > M.Price > C.Mullin > N.Johnston > K.Irving > K.Thompson > Archibald
"If you wish to see the truth, hold no opinions."

"Trust one who seeks the truth. Doubt one who claims to have found the truth."
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#7 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:43 pm

Chris Webber ?! Over someone like Draymond Green?

Now enough is enough Trex, you've gone too far god damn it!
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,145

Post#8 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:30 pm

Hal14 wrote:1. Dennis Johnson
2. Tiny Archibald
3. Walt Bellamy

Johnson was Finals MVP in 79. The dude was an animal. Flying around the court like a bat outta hell, some of the best defense a guard has ever played. Going all out, hustling, taking it strong to the rim.

Next, let's look at 84. 83-84 was his first year on the Celtics. The year before that in 83 the Celtics got swept in the 2nd round by the Bucks. Yes, KC Jones taking over as coach was a factor as well, but the Celtics adding Johnson was a HUGE reason why they went from being swept in the 2nd round in 83 to NBA world champs beating the Lakers in the finals the very next year in 84 (with Magic and Kareem in their prime).

In both 84 and 86 Johnson was one of the team's top 4 players, came through in the clutch time and time again and Bird is on record saying that Johnson was the best teammate he ever played with (meaning Bird thinks Johnson was better than Parish and Mchale).

https://www.sportscasting.com/larry-bird-reveals-the-best-player-hes-ever-played-with/

Johnson was one of the best defensive guards of all time, easily one of the top 10 defensive guards ever. The guy had very good size and strength at the PG position which made him a tough matchup, early in his career had great explosiveness and athleticism, he could score inside, drive to the basket and as his career went on developed a deadly outside shot - especially in the mid range area, not as much from 3 because at the time 3's weren't being taken very much across the league (early in his career there was no 3 point line), plus he could rebound well, unselfishly looked to get the ball to his teammates but would make you pay dearly if you ignored him too much on offense, plus of course his outstanding defense.

Solid longevity, played 14 seasons (13 of which he played 27+ mins a game and all of them he played in 70+ games) which was solid for that era, especially considering he played in a ton (180 to be exact) of playoff games.

How about durability? The guy always played, he was always in the lineup. Out of his 14 seasons:
-he played 72+ games in 14/14 (100%)
-he played in 77+ games in 12/14 seasons (86%)
-he played in 80+ games in 7/14 seasons (50%)

How about Rasheed's durability?
-he played 72+ games in 14/16 (63%)
-he played in 77+ games in 8/16 seasons (50%)
-he played in 80+ games in 10/16 seasons (13%)

Here's a glimpse into how good Johnson was on defense:

Johnson was as good defensively as any guard to ever play. Only guards I might put over him on D are Jordan, Payton and maybe Frazier.

How clutch was Johnson? Take a look at this huge shot to beat the Lakers in the finals:

Want more clutch plays? Larry Bird made a great steal, but it wouldn't have mattered, the Celtics would have still lost that game (and the series) if Johnson didn't race in towards the basket, catch the ball in traffic and finish over a defender:

If you want a guys who put up some nice advanced stats in an era where advanced stats didn't even exist yet, sure go ahead and vote for Hornacek. But if you want to win, then DJ is your guy.

Tiny is a 6 time all-star, 3x all NBA 1st team, 2x all NBA 2nd team. You want peak? Only player ever to lead the NBA in both scoring and assists in the same season. And he was a key piece on the 1981 NBA championship-winning Celtics. Solid defender. Very few point guards in the history of the game possessed his combination of scoring and distributing. And he did it in an era before it was easier for point guards to dominate the league (like it's been since 2005). He'd be even higher up this list if not for injuries, but still had 13 seasons which is pretty good longevity, especially for that era.

Bellamy was a dominant center who could do it all - hit shots, score with power inside, rebound, defend, run the floor. Good combination of size, strength and skill. Sure, his ability diminished in his later years, but that's why he's not a top 50 player. If you just look at top 1 or 2 years for peak, there are very few centers who can match Bellamy. It's about time he gets voted in:

1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by trex_8063 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:05 pm

Transplanting from last thread as it's still relevant....

DCasey91 wrote:
I like that analogy if we were playing for value

We are to some degree, no?

Does '16 Curry [the only unanimous MVP in NBA history, I think] not have value (and a bloody lot of it) because he didn't win? Is '04 Billups better or more valuable than '16 Curry because Chauncey won?

DCasey91 wrote:
If the goal wasn’t to win as much as value as possible but the true goal was to win the prize Walton is on a different level of

Again: IF the window in which to do it is ONE season [one "hand"]. Absolutely. If the window with which to achieve "the prize" is one year, obviously you go with Walton 100% of the time vs any of the secondary/tertiary stars we're talking about.

But if the window is a player's whole career?......that's a valid question, even if your focus is STRICTLY on "the prize" only.

Let's remember: a title is not guaranteed just because you have the league's best player. If it were, Lebron would have like 10 titles, Jordan would probably have like 9, Wilt would have more than 2, etc.

You can note that Walton DID win the title.....but I'm talking about turning away from result-oriented thinking.
*What if he'd had a worse supporting cast that particular year?
**What if he didn't have that brilliant coach who unleashed Walton's value?
***What if his organization said "you're a star, and you're going to play as much as one" and thus didn't cater to Walton's relative "fragility" (and instead played him 36 mpg and didn't rest him for a quarter of the season).....and thus his body broke down by the '77 playoffs (something which happened in '78 anyway).
****What if we allow him the same team circumstance, but plunk them into a more competitive league?

What if, what if, what if. It's never a sure thing.

Again, in terms of championship odds added, '77 Walton might add something like *30% odds [over a replacement level player] in a vacuum. (*This 30% [and figures to follow] are just spit-balled figures, though not far off perhaps from the values suggested by those who take the deep-dive into CORP methodology.)
30% added chance because it depends on so many other factors (what kind of cast is assembled around him, what/who is between them and "the prize", coaching, luck with injuries, etc). Again, it's FAR from a guarantee.

'78, from strictly "prize"-only focus, has only a little above 0%, frankly.....because his body broke down by the post-season [we're talking about a fairly literal no-show for the playoffs].

'86 maybe adds something like 10%.
Other seasons combine add up to only a little [probably <10%], mostly because he just wasn't healthy or available.

And that's it.

A player like prime Horace Grant perhaps never adds more than maybe something like ~12-15% in any single season [nothing close to the 30% peak Walton added]......but he gives you 7-8 of those prime seasons, plus at least 5-7 years giving you some small shred [like 3-5% added].
The odds [of assembling the necessary cast around Grant] are longer, because you frankly need MORE help than you do with peak Walton (you need players actually BETTER than Grant)........and that's harder to come by, even though someone like Grant leaves you more money/resources to work with (more on that below).
But you have such a BIGGER window of time in which to make it happen [whereas Walton gives you ONE good chance, one other fair chance, and mostly nothing else].

A useful way of thinking of this might be another game of chance analogy......
Suppose having peak Walton gives you something like a coin-flip chance of winning it all, whereas with Grant it's more like a standard 6-sided dice where a 6 ONLY is a win.
With Walton you have a 1 in 2 chance; with Grant your chances are just 1 in 6......but with Walton you get ONE flip of the coin, but with Grant you get SEVEN rolls of the dice.

With Walton, there is a 50% chance you walk away without winning your flip.
With Grant---after seven tries---there is only 27.9% chance you walk away without ever rolling a 6.

I'm not saying those are the actual probabilities, but you hopefully get the gist. It's counter-intuitive for many people, but sometimes the lesser player who provides the MUCH longer window is actually the one who ultimately provides higher probability of winning "the prize" [eventually].

Now, one can certainly argue, "Perhaps; but that second player [Grant, or whoever] also requires a longer time-commitment to see it thru to full fruition. Whereas with Walton you can take your [brief] try, go busto, and move on to someone new (while the other franchise is still waiting and seeing with their Grant-like player)."

And that's a totally valid counterpoint, which I can't entirely dismiss.

However, one potential counter-counterpoint might be in noting that the BIG star [like Walton, or whoever] also typically comes with a much higher price tag (told you I'd come back to this). So although you need LESS help to place alongside him [relative to Grant] to get you over the hill, you also have LESS money with which to obtain that cast.

And this can be especially troublesome if you're locked into a huge contract with an always-injured player (as WAS the case with Walton, incidentally). Walton was a huge salary drain [for both the Blazers and Clippers, iirc] during years in which he either wasn't playing, or was barely playing.
Anyway, food for thought, I hope.

Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#10 » by Owly » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:43 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Transplanting from last thread as it's still relevant....

DCasey91 wrote:

Does '16 Curry [the only unanimous MVP in NBA history, I think] not have value (and a bloody lot of it) because he didn't win? Is '04 Billups better or more valuable than '16 Curry because Chauncey won?

DCasey91 wrote:
If the goal wasn’t to win as much as value as possible but the true goal was to win the prize Walton is on a different level of

Again: IF the window in which to do it is ONE season [one "hand"]. Absolutely. If the window with which to achieve "the prize" is one year, obviously you go with Walton 100% of the time vs any of the secondary/tertiary stars we're talking about.

But if the window is a player's whole career?......that's a valid question, even if your focus is STRICTLY on "the prize" only.

Let's remember: a title is not guaranteed just because you have the league's best player. If it were, Lebron would have like 10 titles, Jordan would probably have like 9, Wilt would have more than 2, etc.

You can note that Walton DID win the title.....but I'm talking about turning away from result-oriented thinking.
***What if his organization said "you're a star, and you're going to play as much as one" and thus didn't cater to Walton's relative "fragility" (and instead played him 36 mpg and didn't rest him for a quarter of the season).....and thus his body broke down by the '77 playoffs (something which happened in '78 anyway).
****What if we allow him the same team circumstance, but plunk them into a more competitive league?

Again, in terms of championship odds added, '77 Walton might add something like *30% odds [over a replacement level player] in a vacuum. (*This 30% [and figures to follow] are just spit-balled figures, though not far off perhaps from the values suggested by those who take the deep-dive into CORP methodology.)
30% added chance because it depends on so many other factors (what kind of cast is assembled around him, what/who is between them and "the prize", coaching, luck with injuries, etc). Again, it's FAR from a guarantee.

'78, from strictly "prize"-only focus, has only a little above 0%, frankly.....because his body broke down by the post-season [we're talking about a fairly literal no-show for the playoffs].

Other seasons combine add up to only a little [probably <10%], mostly because he just wasn't healthy or available.

And that's it.

A player like prime Horace Grant perhaps never adds more than maybe something like ~12-15% in any single season [nothing close to the 30% peak Walton added]......but he gives you 7-8 of those prime seasons, plus at least 5-7 years giving you some small shred [like 3-5% added].
The odds [of assembling the necessary cast around Grant] are longer, because you frankly need MORE help than you do with peak Walton (you need players actually BETTER than Grant)........and that's harder to come by, even though someone like Grant leaves you more money/resources to work with (more on that below).
But you have such a BIGGER window of time in which to make it happen [whereas Walton gives you ONE good chance, one other fair chance, and mostly nothing else].

A useful way of thinking of this might be another game of chance analogy: suppose having peak Walton gives you something like a coin-flip chance of winning it all, whereas with Grant it's more like a standard 6-sided dice where a 6 ONLY is a win.
With Walton you have a 1 in 2 chance; with Grant your chances are just 1 in 6......but with Walton you get ONE flip of the coin, but with Grant you get SEVEN rolls of the dice.

With Walton, there is a 50% chance you walk away without winning your coin.
With Grant, there is only 27.9% chance you walk away without ever rolling a 6.

I'm not saying those are the actual probabilities, but you hopefully get the gist. It's counter-intuitive for many people, but sometimes the lesser player who provides the MUCH longer window is actually the one who ultimately provides higher probability on winning "the prize" [eventually].

Now, one can certainly argue, "Perhaps; but that second player [Grant, or whoever] also requires a longer time-commitment to see it thru to full fruition. Whereas with Walton you can take your [brief] try, go busto, and move on to someone new (while the other franchise is still waiting and seeing with their Grant-like player."

However, one potential counter-counterpoint might be in noting that the BIG star [like Walton, or whoever] also typically comes with a much higher price tag (told you I'd come back to this). So although you need LESS help to place alongside him [relative to Grant] to get you over the hill, you also have LESS money with which to obtain that cast.

And this can be especially troublesome if you're locked into a huge contract with an always-injured player (as WAS the case with Walton, incidentally). Walton was a huge salary drain [for both the Blazers and Clippers, iirc] during years in which he either wasn't playing, or was barely playing.

Regarding that time commitment thing, in practice, more often I would say that's the negative because in practice in these examples you tend to end up having to keeping paying the player (Walton injured, hurt/final three years Kobe, basically any injured player, MJ doing baseball) and thereby significantly harming your title chances (well hypothetically at least a "dead" high salary slot is harmful, in reality most teams don't win the title in a given year so title equity wise there's a bit of cap to the cost in a given year, but the uncertainty cost in planning: you hope to get them back, you can't get value on a trade, you can't get in a good replacement because they will expect to play but if your guy comes back then he won't ...). My natural inclination isn't to burn players for that sort of non-direct basketball, hard to calculate harm but one certainly could.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,678

Post#11 » by penbeast0 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:51 pm

OK, time to do some analysis as my list is getting a bit stale. I will start some threads to get some feedback outside the project so if you want to weigh in, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have 3 groups: True stars with injury issues -- Connie Hawkins, Bill Walton, Nicola Jokic, maybe Elton Brand (goes behind Hawkins, ahead of Walton for me)

Very solid (but not superstar) guards:
Jeff Hornacek
Terry Porter
Dennis Johnson
Mookie Blaylock
(you can add in Eddie Jones if you wish)

Some numbers:

Hornacek -- Using his Utah numbers per 100 possessions because I'm too lazy to sort out 5 years when his stats are so consistent over 12+ years in the league, only 1 All-Star game:
Prime MPG 30.9, Reb 4.8, Ast 6.8, Pts 24.7, TS% .600 (league .532)

Porter -- (clear 5 year prime 89-93) 2 All-Star games
Prime MPG 34.8, Reb 5.0, Ast 10.1, Pts 24.1, TS .583 (league .530)

DJ -- (5 year prime 79-83) 5 All-Star, 2 All-NBA (1st, 2nd), 9 All-Defense, 1 FMVP
Prime MPG 35.0, Reb 6.5, Ast 5.7, Pts 23.6, TS .515 (league .533)

Blaylock -- (clear 5 year prime 93-97) 1 All-Star, 6 All-Defense
Prime MPG 36.9, Reb 6.4, Ast 10.7, Pts 22.0, TS .522 (league .536)

Some analysis: Hornacek was amazingly consistent, all 3 of the others drop off from their 5 year prime (DJ less than the others) but he was right at that point for 12 years. DJ was the favorite when he was active, easily the most awards; plus he and Mookie were the defensive stars (though both Porter and Hornacek were solid). On the other hand, both Hornacek and Porter were efficient scorers while both DJ and Blaylock were below league average efficiency in their best years; despite their reps, all were in the same general range in terms of scoring volume.

Forwards with good longevity that had star "name value:"

Carmelo Anthony
Chris Webber
James Worthy
Billy Cunningham
Dave DeBusschere

Using 5 year primes and per 36 min for a basis of comparison (Cunningham and DeBusschere don't have per 100 possession stats available). You can adjust for pace, length of career, defensive value, intangibles as you see fit though I will make comments.

Anthony (06-10) best two years may have been 2013 and 2014 but the years around them were injury plagued and the teams weren't as successful. 10 All-Star, 6 All-NBA. Negatives include weak defensive rep and his forcing his way to NY.
Prime MPG 36.4, Reb 6.2, Ast 3.2, Pts 25.8, TS% .555 (league .541)

Webber (99-03) Injury issues but generally more respected in SAC than Washington. 5 All-Star, 5 All-League. Above average defender. Negatives include some off court stuff that got him traded from Washington and probably most high profile choke moments in league history.
Prime MPG 39.5, Reb 10.1, Ast 3.9, Pts 21.8, TS% .512 (league .518)

Worthy (86-90) 7 All-Star, 2 All-NBA, 1 FMVP. Above average defender. Numbers may underrate him as the Showtime Lakers were stacked or efficiency may overrate him for same reason.
Prime MPG 35.2, Reb 5.7, Ast 3.3, Pts 20.6, TS% .586 (league .538)

Cunningham (68-72) could include his 73 year in ABA but that league was still weak, not as long a career. 4 NBA All-Star, 4 NBA All-League, plus his ABA MVP season.
Prime MPG 37.0, Reb 11.2, Ast 4.1, Pts 22.6, TS% .510 (league .501)

DeBusschere (70-74) Including the games he played in NY after the trade to save me time. 8 All-Star, 1 All-NBA, 6 All-Defense (all 1st team).
Prime MPG 36.7, Reb 10.5, Ast 3.0, Pts 15.7, TS% .473 (league .502)

Worthy's efficiency really stands out, none of the others are particularly efficient with DeBusschere ranking more as awful and Webber being below league average. DeBusschere is the star defender of course, but only Carmelo has a poor rep on that end. Webber and Carmelo have issues with intangibles but have the longest careers by significant margins. Cunningham's numbers would look better if I had including his ABA MVP season.

I rank them:
1. Hornacek (the much longer prime and consistency put him on top for me)
2. Worthy (efficiency and playoffs, I moved him up a little)
3. Cunningham (strongest move up once I looked at the numbers though it was the 70s so you have to take it with a grain of salt -- still, so was DJ)

4. DJ (raised him a bit for the defensive rep and peer rating)
5. Porter (about where I had him)
6. Webber (one of my least favorite players but talented)
7. Anthony (changed my mind about rating him behind DeBusschere)
8. DeBusschere (gets credit for the Knicks sudden improvement after being traded for Walt Bellamy)
9. Neil Johnston or Connie Hawkins . . . will have to look at those two more closely and they may move up or down a bit.
10. Blaylock

Others to think of off the top of my head: Elton Brand, Bob Dandridge, Bob Davies, Dan Issel, Bill Walton, Nicola Jokic tentatively in that order
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#12 » by falcolombardi » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:59 pm

DCasey91 wrote:

DCasey91 wrote:

And that's it.

Suppose having peak Walton gives you something like a coin-flip chance of winning it all, whereas with Grant it's more like a standard 6-sided dice where a 6 ONLY is a win.

With Grant---after seven tries---there is only 27.9% chance you walk away without ever rolling a 6.

I'm not saying those are the actual probabilities, but you hopefully get the gist. It's counter-intuitive for many people, but sometimes the lesser player who provides the MUCH longer window is actually the one who ultimately provides higher probability of winning "the prize" [eventually].

Now, one can certainly argue, "Perhaps; but that second player [Grant, or whoever] also requires a longer time-commitment to see it thru to full fruition. Whereas with Walton you can take your [brief] try, go busto, and move on to someone new (while the other franchise is still waiting and seeing with their Grant-like player)."

this is a topic i find interesting cause i dont believe we can just add value of each season and assume 3 years of + 2 value are better than one of +5 value (random numbers)

basketball is a very exponential game, is why we care more about teams with a superstar than with 2 all stars, more about 2 all stars than 4 above average starters

a big star in either defense or offense (or both) can allow everyone else to thrive in smaller roles reducing the difference (that still exists) between good players and average role players...and the salary caps on players compunds this by making superstars like lebron and curry have similar impact in a team budget than someone like donovan mitchell or devin booker

basically i think players value grows in a somewhat exponential way, +6 (once) being better than +3(twice), so aggregate career value misses a bit of this
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#13 » by Cavsfansince84 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:11 pm

88. Dave DeBusschere
-10 yr prime where he averages 16.5/11.3/2.9 on ts+ of 96
-6x all defense 1st team, 1x all nba 2nd team
-Finishes top 11 in mvp voting from 72-74 while playing for Knicks teams that win lots of games after Reed has injuries
-Big part of two Knicks title teams
-Known for being gritty defender/rebounder and great team guy who also could hit big shots in the playoffs
-spent three years as player/coach in Det showing his leadership ability

89. Neil Johnston

-Only a 6 year prime but during which he led the league in win shares 5 straight years(even while playing on a 12 win team), scoring 3 straight years, ts% twice, rebounding once and had ts add over 250 5 straight years(which is incredible).
-5x all nba(4x 1st team, 1x 2nd)
-Co-led the Warriors to a title with Arizin in 56. So in short I think the argument could be made that from 53-58 he was a top 3-5 player in the league every year and had a span of dominance which few players have matched statistically. Also, imo is more athletic than most people probably give him credit for with good length to go with good handles for a center and solid outside shooting(more so for his era).

90. Billy Cunningham

-Averaged 21.2/10.4/4.3 during 11 year career on career ts+ of 101
-5x all nba/aba(4x 1st team, 1x 2nd team)
-4x top 10 in mvp voting(high of 1st in aba, high of 3rd in nba)
-1x nba champ
-joins 35 win Carolina team in the aba and the next year(73) with him they win 57 games and lose in 7 in the conf finals
-from 68-73 playoffs averaged 24.8/12.1/4.5 on ts of 54%(roughly +2.5% league avg)

91. Worthy
92. Lucas
93. Cheeks
94. Mullin
95. DJohnson
96. Porter
97. Issel
98. Melo
99. Butler
100. Jokic

others: Dumars>Griffin>Webber>King>George>Brand>Williams>Walker>>Bellamy>Hornacek>Walton>Hawkins
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by trex_8063 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:17 pm

falcolombardi wrote:

DCasey91 wrote:

DCasey91 wrote:

And that's it.

this is a topic i find interesting cause i dont believe we can just add value of each season and assume 3 years of + 2 value are better than one of +5 value (random numbers)

basketball is a very exponential game, is why we care more about teams with a superstar than with 2 all stars, more about 2 all stars than 4 above average starters

a big star in either defense or offense (or both) can allow everyone else to thrive in smaller roles reducing the difference (that still exists) between good players and average role players...and the salary caps on players compunds this by making superstars like lebron and curry have similar impact in a team budget than someone like donovan mitchell or devin booker

basically i think players value grows in a somewhat exponential way, +6 (once) being better than +3(twice), so aggregate career value misses a bit of this

From a CORP point of view, you're right. I don't specifically utilize a CORP principle myself, I was merely citing in response to the above poster who implied the primary goal should be winning "the prize".

The odds I cited were a rough guess from memory, but I've tracked down an old article that kind of outlines it.

The odds added [over replacement level] would be a bit different than what I implied, but not terribly so.

Basically a true GOAT-tier [generational] peak adds ~40% championship odds in a vacuum.
A really higher level MVP-tier [the kind we only see about once every ~8 years, on average] adds about 37% [this is a roughly "+6" player by your typical impact metrics, btw].
A more "run-of-the-mill" MVP tier (an "average best player in the league" type of player season, but not an all-time great one) adds about 22%.
A typical fringe top-5 player adds about 13%.
A fringe top-10 player about 10%.
A fringe All-Star [i.e. fringe top-25 player] adds about 7% (so a All-NBA 3rd Teamer/fringe top-15 player [who is the typical "+3" player you mention] probably adds about 8-9%).
A "good starter level" or fringe top-40 season adds about 5-6%.
A fringe or weak starter-level player adds about 2.5%.
A league-average player adds about 1%.
A replacement level player, by definition of CORP, adds nothing [0%].

So going back to the manner in which I suggested comparing Walton to Horace Grant, for example: though my suggested numbers were a bit off, the general premise holds.....

'77 Walton might be a +30% player [which IS the number I used].
'78 is, by default, a relatively low number (simply because he's absent for the playoffs); not sure exactly what is appropriate (but LOW).
'86 might *generously be a +6% year (*generously because he only averaged 18-19 mpg).
We might give his sophomore season credit for +5% (can't really do more given all the missed games).
'85 might be said to be worth about +3%.
All the rest of his seasons combined maybe add a few %, but not a lot.

So his entire career might combine for approximately +50% CORP value (maybe as much as 55-60% if you're REALLY high on his '77 campaign AND don't penalize '78 quite as much for missing the playoffs entirely).

Grant's very best seasons ['92 and '94] were probably fringe top-15 player seasons; so let's say +8% for each of those.
Every other year from '91 thru '98 lets say average out to +6.5% (avg roughly a top 30-32 player in the league).
In '90 and '99 he has a fairly solid value, though definitely no star. I'd say around +4-5% per year [so +9% combined].
In '89, and '00 thru '02 he's more or less a league average player or just barely above at best.....let's credit him for +5% TOTAL for all four years combined.
His rookie season and his final two seasons add no value.

So his full career [conservatively?? I don't think I've been bullish at all] accounts for about +69% CORP value by my assessment of his years......even though his PEAK season is about a +8% (vs +30% or better for Walton--->the "exponential way" you mentioned), the sheer number of quality seasons wins out in the end.

Even if the goal is "the prize".

DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#15 » by DCasey91 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:32 pm

Wait how is Walton at 30%? I mean I think in general people are overvaluing replacement lvl players
You can’t replace a player that actually opens that said window.

Buy all the role players you want the window will never be open.

Players X is worth 10
Player Y is worth 1.1

See how it easy it is for player Y to beat player X
On overall accrued value (even it was very low) if player X doesn’t play for a long time.

This isn’t about who achieve more value at lower stakes I t’s about who is greater.

An Engine is more important then surrounding parts it’s just how it is. With parts and no engine you have no car. (Car being the driver to winning the highest Individual/Team accolade in this sport).

Once again look at how many Elite role players, All NBA’s , MVP candidates just in Blazers history. Now take away Walton, no championship their one and only it’s that simple. He’s not a guy that puts you over the top, he’s the guy that your championship potential begins with. Grant or other players never ever begins that timeline they are add ons.

It’s bad thinking to start your championship potential without a super highly ranked player.

Accruing value over time is fine but there’s many more others that have done the same. Walton’s value is a stack more rarer (Won/Best player), so that in of itself has more value by definition. There’s many more factors that go into true value than just box stats/impacts, fractional value.

A moneyball approach (outside rookie contracts of course because it’s non negotiable), has limits to teams ceilings, sooner or later.

What happens if you essentially let a decade go by not getting any closer than when you first started, then repeating the process again. A player like Walton supersedes that.

Also in teams sports NBA has a very high individual impact on a teams winning chances. Much, much higher than NFL, Baseball, Cricket, Soccer, Hockey etc etc.

Because of 5 value vs 5 value.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#16 » by DCasey91 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:03 am

Just quickly to add
Take an average range of any draft that’s gets you a starter, All NBA, MVP quality player, Championship best player. Walton destroys that ratio every single time.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#17 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:08 am

R

King had a career ending knee injury in 1985. They did not have the medical skills to repair knees.
Then he came back a came back and had a fairly good long scoring career without a knee.

Early in his career I think alcohol was giving him a problem. But his peak as a scorer is top 5 of all time. His defense in the 1984 playoffs was OK. He was a great athlete but he had to carry the load offensively and his defensive IQ was mediocre.

In 1984-1985 his entire team was lost to injury. He was putting up spectacular offensive numbers on what was essentially.a G-league team. I don't think he played much defense that year when his team could not win even if he scored 50.

But his 1984 playoff offense has only been done by him and 1970s Kareem.
penbeast0

Post#18 » by penbeast0 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:28 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:R

King had a career ending knee injury in 1985. They did not have the medical skills to repair knees.
Then he came back a came back and had a fairly good long scoring career without a knee.

Early in his career I think alcohol was giving him a problem. But his peak as a scorer is top 5 of all time. His defense in the 1984 playoffs was OK. He was a great athlete but he had to carry the load offensively and his defensive IQ was mediocre.

In 1984-1985 his entire team was lost to injury. He was putting up spectacular offensive numbers on what was essentially.a G-league team. I don't think he played much defense that year when his team could not win even if he scored 50.

But his 1984 playoff offense has only been done by him and 1970s Kareem.

King was an outstanding scorer but top 5 peak as a scorer is seriously overrating him. Even looking solely at playoff scoring it's hard to justify.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
penbeast0

Post#19 » by penbeast0 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:47 am

DCasey91 wrote:Wait how is Walton at 30%? I mean I think in general people are overvaluing replacement lvl players

Players X is worth 10
Player Y is worth 1.1

On overall accrued value (even it was very low) if player X doesn’t play for a long time.

This isn’t about who achieve more value at lower stakes I t’s about who is greater.

An Engine is more important then surrounding parts it’s just how it is. With parts and no engine you have no car. (Car being the driver to winning the highest Individual/Team accolade in this sport).

Once again look at how many Elite role players, All NBA’s , MVP candidates just in Blazers history. Now take away Walton, no championship their one and only it’s that simple. He’s not a guy that puts you over the top, he’s the guy that your championship potential begins with. Grant or other players never ever begins that timeline they are add ons.

It’s bad thinking to start your championship potential without a super highly ranked player.

Accruing value over time is fine but there’s many more others that have done the same. Walton’s value is a stack more rarer (Won/Best player), so that in of itself has more value by definition. There’s many more factors that go into true value than just box stats/impacts, fractional value.

A moneyball approach (outside rookie contracts of course because it’s non negotiable), has limits to teams ceilings, sooner or later.

What happens if you essentially let a decade go by not getting any closer than when you first started, then repeating the process again. A player like Walton supersedes that.

Also in teams sports NBA has a very high individual impact on a teams winning chances. Much, much higher than NFL, Baseball, Cricket, Soccer, Hockey etc etc.

The actual Moneyball analysis of Walton. Walton comes out of college the most hyped player since Kareem and probably the second most hyped player of all time. He demands a contract making him one of the highest paid players in the NBA (no rookie scale, competition with the ABA gave him leverage). His 1st two years are disappointments as he plays only 31 and 55 games with an ongoing foot injury that would derail his entire career. Finally, in 77, he plays most of a season (still misses 20% of the year) and for the first (and only) time in his career, is a healthy playoff starter. The team is good not great (2nd in their division) but gets hot in the playoffs and wins a title.

Then he and the team start off well again but the foot problem takes him out 3/4 of the way into the season and he misses the playoffs again. The fourth year he doesn't play at all.

Claiming to be fully healthy, he signs the biggest contract in NBA history to that point for 7 years with the Clippers! He never plays close to a full season in San Diego and they sink into a repeating morass of mediocrity or outright suckitude from which they don't emerge that century (thank you Donald Sterling as well).

He does have one year toward the end of his career where he is able to stay healthy enough to play a season as a reserve, doing quite well on one of the stacked teams of all time (SMOY) then going back to sitting out.

So, Moneyball analysis. Walton gets you one shot to win a title as a star, though hardly a dominant one. He also plays enough to get you to the playoffs two more years as a part of a good roster, though he is out during those playoffs. Add to that one year as a top reserve.

The flip side of the Moneyball analysis is that he demands superstar pay and treatment for 11 years requiring you to build your team around him (there isn't enough money in the NBA then for 2 or 3 of those type players outside of a very few cities). Of those 11 years, he badly hurts your chance of even making the playoffs 8 of them, helps make the playoffs but then hurts your chance of getting out of the 1st round in 2 of them, and is healthy once. So, if you catch lighting in a bottle that one year (and remember, that wasn't a dominant Portland team), great, if not, you destroyed your team's chance of relevance for over a decade. And, you miss out on the playoff money 8 years out of 11 that most teams get 50%+ of the time, while tying up the money that could have been spent on another superstar player to get you to those playoffs. He also gives you one year as a top reserve, fwiw.

Moneyball analysis: Walton is a net negative over the course of his career. Of course, if you get that one hot playoff run like Portland did, then it's a chance worth taking but strict Moneyball analysis, Walton isn't worth paying what you had to pay him.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#20 » by DCasey91 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:07 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Wait how is Walton at 30%? I mean I think in general people are overvaluing replacement lvl players

Players X is worth 10
Player Y is worth 1.1

The actual Moneyball analysis of Walton. Walton comes out of college the most hyped player since Kareem and probably the second most hyped player of all time. He demands a contract making him one of the highest paid players in the NBA (no rookie scale, competition with the ABA gave him leverage). His 1st two years are disappointments as he plays only 31 and 55 games with an ongoing foot injury that would derail his entire career. Finally, in 77, he plays most of a season (still misses 20% of the year) and for the first (and only) time in his career, is a healthy playoff starter. The team is good not great (2nd in their division) but gets hot in the playoffs and wins a title.

Then he and the team start off well again but the foot problem takes him out 3/4 of the way into the season and he misses the playoffs again. The fourth year he doesn't play at all.

Claiming to be fully healthy, he signs the biggest contract in NBA history to that point for 7 years with the Clippers! He never plays close to a full season in San Diego and they sink into a repeating morass of mediocrity or outright suckitude from which they don't emerge that century (thank you Donald Sterling as well).

He does have one year toward the end of his career where he is able to stay healthy enough to play a season as a reserve, doing quite well on one of the stacked teams of all time (SMOY) then going back to sitting out.

So, Moneyball analysis. Walton gets you one shot to win a title as a star, though hardly a dominant one. He also plays enough to get you to the playoffs two more years as a part of a good roster, though he is out during those playoffs. Add to that one year as a top reserve.

The flip side of the Moneyball analysis is that he demands superstar pay and treatment for 11 years requiring you to build your team around him (there isn't enough money in the NBA then for 2 or 3 of those type players outside of a very few cities). Of those 11 years, he badly hurts your chance of even making the playoffs 8 of them, helps make the playoffs but then hurts your chance of getting out of the 1st round in 2 of them, and is healthy once. So, if you catch lighting in a bottle that one year (and remember, that wasn't a dominant Portland team), great, if not, you destroyed your team's chance of relevance for over a decade. And, you miss out on the playoff money 8 years out of 11 that most teams get 50%+ of the time, while tying up the money that could have been spent on another superstar player to get you to those playoffs. He also gives you one year as a top reserve, fwiw.

Moneyball analysis: Walton is a net negative over the course of his career. Of course, if you get that one hot playoff run like Portland did, then it's a chance worth taking but strict Moneyball analysis, Walton isn't worth paying what you had to pay him.

Well for the Moneyball arguement, it’s comes with flaws in of itself, the movie never actually fully captured what happened. They had gun players during the magical run it’s the add ons that were cost effective. I mean for me personally if it gets me a championship (business cynical stuff aside) then the whole reason as to why you play sports in the first place is achieved at the highest level. So it is a success. The economic disaster that occurred later on doesn’t detract a person’s value fwiw. They got paid that much because he himself opens a window.
Once again buy as many role players, stars what have you it’s not going to open up ground zero. Takes a group of players that’s smaller then the rest that can deliver a championship.

The fantasy/value/moneyball operatives don’t ever capture true total value. Clubs have let decades go by with little to show for it. Heck we’ve just seen a analytical approach burst into flames (Rockets). And
Sports are littered with bad contracts, but over paying best player voted in the league (or at min top 5) I mean cmon. Due diligence is a thing too.

I don’t for a second buy the hot context, he peaked that high because he was great no doubts about it.
I mean do we down value every player that’s ranked here that was on “bad” contracts? No I don’t think so that would take too long. It’s kind of a stretch to put in extra detracting value adds unless you broad scope it for every player ranked. Then cross compare undervalued contracts (Pippen for example) that would take days on end to find a base moneyball logarithm. Wonder how much extra revenue was brought in from the win? Economics have a crap ton of analysis to go through.

One for All or All for one. Or fair is fair

Or go one step further, look at how much a goat lvl player by the name of MJ was paid for one year now cross compare to the ratios of today. Probably 100mill approx or more, I’d say you’d be in cap hell, didn’t really matter in the end about a “moneyball analysis” they won.

Return to Player Comparisons