Michael Port Jr.
29%

Total votes: 17

dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,140

Ben Simmons or MPJ? 

Post#1 » by dygaction » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:42 am

Ben is a great play maker and defender, while MPJ is a super efficient finisher. I have not doubt MPJ will get his max after rookie contract. Who would you take if you are building a team not knowing other part of the roster if they are both 22 on the second year rookie contract?
BIGJ1ER
Rookie
And1: 535

Re: Ben Simmons or MPJ? 

Post#2 » by BIGJ1ER » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:37 pm

It's tough because Simmons is such a strange player on the offensive end, but has shown he can be part of elite 2-5 man units via net rating (although helps he plays with an MVP level talent), but you know you're getting a top 20-25 calibre player.

MPJ on the other hand has insane offensive potential (although not sure how impactful he is via impact metrics on that end), but is a disaster defensively at the moment, and obviously has injury concerns (which haven't displayed themselves in the NBA yet, fingers crossed).

If I had Simmons at this level at the age of 22, I'd probably move forward with him, since you're now making him younger with a better skillset than he had at that age.

I'd probably gamble on Simmons regardless tbh, but I could be made to look dumb, since I think he's the player I'm the most foolishly optimistic about.
Big Fan of / and (
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#3 » by Alatan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:26 pm

Neither is a player you want to build around. They are both complimentary players to the main star player. MPJ has the potential to be better than Simmons but i still dont believe that he has the ability to be the main offensive piece. I even doubt that he can be the 2nd best player because his shot creation is bad at the moment.

Simmons has a a better case to be the 3rd best player on a championship team in the Draymond role, while MPJ could become a 2nd best player on a chip squad but he is far from it now as his defense and shot creation ability are not there but are improving.
Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,470

Post#4 » by Wigginstime » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:02 pm

A month ago i would have said this was obviously Simmons

however,

since Murray went down with his injury and Porter became the Nuggets second option he is averaging 27ppg with a splits of 55/42/81. Not sure how sustainable this is, but as second option MPJ looks drastically superior to Simmons.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,140

Post#5 » by dygaction » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:54 pm

MPJ is shooting at TS66%, better than Durant's peak season. His career 3p% is .44 as of today. 6'10 natural shooter is hard to defend, especially he is playing with another 7' best passer who often demands double team.

Return to Player Comparisons