RealGM 2020 Top 100 Project: #93 (Terry Porter)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Re: RealGM 2020 Top 100 Project: #93 

Post#41 » by prolific passer » Wed May 5, 2021 4:51 pm

sansterre wrote:
prolific passer wrote:
sansterre wrote:From a stats point of view I'm surprised to find that I really like Hagan. Per season I probably like him more than Porter. The knock on Hagan is 25k minutes vs 35k from Porter.

Archibald had one fantastic season, where he took 31% of his team's shots and made them at around +5%, which is a damned good scoring season while also dishing a ton of assists. If we're going by peak, I see the argument. But Tiny (like McAdoo) has a very narrow peak and gets considerably less impressive as soon as you get away from his best two years, and metrics (within their considerable limits) rate him as a pretty bad defender (not least of which because he had a weirdly high turnover rate, even when he started taking fewer shots). In terms of overall career, Porter looks better to me - I'd only consider Tiny if I was looking at top year or two.

As for DJ . . . It's pretty obvious that Porter was the better offensive player in almost every way but offensive rebounding. The question is whether or not DJ's defense makes up the difference (and Porter was no slouch on that side of the ball) is fair, but I'm not really persuaded. I'd go DJ if I favored awards and team achievements, but Porter is the safer bet.

Porter had a nice stretch from 87-94 but those other guys had HOF careers and are more accomplished.
Basically a few stats vs a bunch of accolades and in today's world. Those few stats win.

As compared to yesterday's world where it was just a question of whether they were on a team that won a championship? That's not a super-persuasive argument.

Depends on what their role was on that championship team. Hagan was a #2 option. DJ was a finals mvp. Archibald was a starting point guard who put up good numbers.
Not talking about deep bench players here.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#42 » by penbeast0 » Wed May 5, 2021 4:55 pm

sansterre wrote:As compared to yesterday's world where it was just a question of whether they were on a team that won a championship? That's not a super-persuasive argument.

Played a significant role on championship teams . . . to the extent there is truth in that characterization.

And when it comes to that, why isn't Robert Horry in the HOF? (I say, that's a joke, son)
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Post#43 » by Dutchball97 » Wed May 5, 2021 4:59 pm

prolific passer wrote:
sansterre wrote:
prolific passer wrote:Porter had a nice stretch from 87-94 but those other guys had HOF careers and are more accomplished.
Basically a few stats vs a bunch of accolades and in today's world. Those few stats win.

As compared to yesterday's world where it was just a question of whether they were on a team that won a championship? That's not a super-persuasive argument.

Depends on what their role was on that championship team. Hagan was a #2 option. DJ was a finals mvp. Archibald was a starting point guard who put up good numbers.

Andre Iguodala is a Finals MVP. It doesn't really hold much weight.
prolific passer
Analyst

Post#44 » by prolific passer » Wed May 5, 2021 5:01 pm

Dutchball97 wrote:
prolific passer wrote:
sansterre wrote:As compared to yesterday's world where it was just a question of whether they were on a team that won a championship? That's not a super-persuasive argument.

It used to. Probably before Iggy won it. DJ put up like 22 6 6 for his finals mvp.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by Dutchball97 » Wed May 5, 2021 5:10 pm

prolific passer wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:
prolific passer wrote:Depends on what their role was on that championship team. Hagan was a #2 option. DJ was a finals mvp. Archibald was a starting point guard who put up good numbers.

It used to. Probably before Iggy won it. DJ put up like 22 6 6 for his finals mvp.

Gus Williams had 29/4/4 and Sikma had 16/15/2 with 3 blocks per game as well in the 79 Finals. I don't see anything suggesting DJ was much more important to that title than Gus and Sikma, if at all.
prolific passer
Analyst

Post#46 » by prolific passer » Wed May 5, 2021 5:18 pm

Dutchball97 wrote:
prolific passer wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:

Gus Williams had 29/4/4 and Sikma had 16/15/2 with 3 blocks per game as well in the 79 Finals. I don't see anything suggesting DJ was much more important to that title than Gus and Sikma, if at all.

Yeah it was iffy in a year that was considered one of the worst years in the NBA's history.
Besides that. He was a big piece on the 84-88 Celtics run during that time and him guarding Magic from games 4-7 in 84 helped the C's win that series.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#47 » by trex_8063 » Wed May 5, 2021 5:22 pm

Porter over DJ is really not a tough one to wrap your brain around, unless you prefer a certain strict and faithful adherance to media awards and narratives.
The 5 All-Stars vs 2 argument has been made more than once.....but DJ, for example, was an "All-Star" in '85 while averaging 15.7/4.0/6.8 on poor [below average] shooting efficiency; sure, he was a good defender, but he was no longer a GREAT perimeter defender by that point.

Porter [who was not a bad defender, btw], otoh, once averaged 13.1/4.2/8.9 on good shooting efficiency......but was "not an All-Star".
The next year it was 14.9/4.6/10.1 on excellent shooting efficiency........but "not an All-Star".
The next year he averaged 17.7/4.5/9.5 on decent shooting efficiency......"not an All-Star".
The next year it was 17.6/3.4/9.1 on excellent shooting efficiency......"not an All-Star".
Another year it was 18.1/3.1/5.8 on good shooting efficiency......"not an All-Star".

The gist is hopefully clear: if a standard for "All-Star" is set at '85 Dennis Johnson level, then Terry Porter was an All-Star for probably seven consecutive years [with another year that's only just off, giving DJ the defensive benefit of the doubt].
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,148

Post#48 » by Hal14 » Wed May 5, 2021 6:01 pm

Dutchball97 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:
Yeah all those stupid metrics, right? Way better to just go off narratives and make stuff up as you go, right? :roll:

Nobody is voting for the guys on your ballot? Must be everyone else who is wrong. Grow up.

LOL, why you mad bro? I wasn't even talking to you or about you. No idea who you even are, lol.

Make up stuff as I go? What did I make up?

The 3 guys on my ballot, 2 of them (Bellamy and Archibald) have gotten votes from other people. The other (Dennis Johnson) is considered by many to be one of the most underrated players of all time:

https://aminoapps.com/c/hoops/page/blog/most-underrated-nba-player-of-all-time-dennis-johnson/pXNH_Qun5plrpdaKeJJ7JElNaBb8Qez#:~:text=Johnson%20(R.I.P.)%20is%20NBA's%20all,the%20most%20underrated%20player%20ever.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/3584-the-most-underrated-players-in-nba-history

https://www.celticsblog.com/2014/10/20/7012785/celtic-great-dennis-johnson-clutch-underrated

http://loganssportsratings.blogspot.com/2016/08/top-100-nba-players-45-dennis-johnson.html

What makes you rank Terry Porter over Dennis Johnson? All you give for a reasoning with Porter is "only a 2 time all-star but he had a good 6 year prime and he was good in the playoffs during those seasons"...that's nice that you think that is enough to be top 100 player of all time, but I've got a higher bar than that. I suppose next you'll have Rik Smits on your ballot lol. Johnson had like a 9 year prime instead of 6. Johnson was better in the postseason than Porter, won 3 rings and a finals MVP. 5 all-star games and considered by most to be top 5 defensive guard of all time.

Dennis Johnson was better than Porter in the post-season based on what?

Um, maybe based on blocking 7 shots in a single NBA finals game (1978) or did I somehow sleep through Porter doing that?

Maybe based on winning NBA finals MVP (1979). Or did I somehow sleep through Porter doing that?

Maybe based on hitting the first game winning 3-pointer in NBA playoff history, or did I somehow sleep through Porter doing that?

Maybe based on hitting 2 of the most clutch shots in NBA playoff history (game winning jumper to beat the Lakers in game 4 of the 1985 NBA finals and coming out of nowhere, busting his a%% and sprinting in to give Bird someone to pass to, making the game winning layup in traffic to beat the Pistons in game 5 of the 1987 eastern conference finals) or did I somehow miss Porter doing that?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
sansterre
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,814

Post#49 » by sansterre » Wed May 5, 2021 6:10 pm

Hal14 wrote:Dennis Johnson was better than Porter in the post-season based on what?
Um, maybe based on blocking 7 shots in a single NBA finals game (1978) or did I somehow sleep through Porter doing that?

Maybe based on winning NBA finals MVP (1979). Or did I somehow sleep through Porter doing that?

Maybe based on hitting the first game winning 3-pointer in NBA playoff history, or did I somehow sleep through Porter doing that?

Maybe based on hitting 2 of the most clutch shots in NBA playoff history (game winning jumper to beat the Lakers in game 4 of the 1985 NBA finals and coming out of nowhere, busting his a%% and sprinting in to give Bird someone to pass to, making the game winning layup in traffic to beat the Pistons in game 5 of the 1987 eastern conference finals) or did I somehow miss Porter doing that?

Fair.

Counterpoint; you did basically just say that DJ's case is built around six games (one game in '78 and one series in '79) and three plays.

And it's worth mentioning that while DJ did play well in Game 4 of the '85 Finals (and nail that shot) he also went 28 of 82 (34%) from the floor in the other five games of the series.

If you think the right six games and three plays is enough to make a case here . . . there's not much I can say to that.
"If you wish to see the truth, hold no opinions."

"Trust one who seeks the truth. Doubt one who claims to have found the truth."
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#50 » by Doctor MJ » Wed May 5, 2021 6:44 pm

Dutchball97 wrote:
prolific passer wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:

You mean other than the fact that those watching it live chose DJ as best? I don't think you should dismiss that lightly.

Re: Iggy's Finals MVP. I do disrespect this one, but that's because I'm 100% confident I know what happened and will not hesitate to say that I and most everyone else knew better. What happened there was that the voters thought LeBron was best but felt a pressure to give it to the winning team, and rather than give it to a rival of LeBron's in Curry, they gave it to someone else. It was wrong. It was a violation of the philosophy of the Finals MVP begun with Jerry West getting the first award. But it's also something I'm not aware of any other voters doing.

Also Re: Iggy. ftr, I think he's a legit Top 100 candidate. I don't see myself championing him, but I respect his case.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#51 » by Doctor MJ » Wed May 5, 2021 6:49 pm

prolific passer wrote:Depends on what their role was on that championship team. Hagan was a #2 option. DJ was a finals mvp. Archibald was a starting point guard who put up good numbers.

Has to be noted that Hagan as the "#2 option" was a bigger and better scorer than DJ, and were they on the same team, DJ would very clearly be the sidekick.

You can argue that DJ's defense made up for the difference, but your parlance implies offense, and DJ wasn't in Hagan's league there.

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,148

Post#52 » by Hal14 » Wed May 5, 2021 7:02 pm

Dutchball97 wrote:
prolific passer wrote:

1) Iguodala was a role player on that Warriors team. DJ was a star on the Sonics so it's an apples to oranges comparison. Iggy never made an all-star team or all nba team while he was a member of the warriors. Dennis Johnson was an all-star in 79 while on the Sonics and he was an all-star as well as all NBA team member while on the sonics in 1980.

2) Some consider Iguodala to be the worst NBA finals MVP in the past 30 years so you're bringing up a major outlier:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/06/17/andre-iguodala-is-worst-nba-finals-mvp-in-last-30-years/

Curry was the league MVP that year. It's ridiculous that he didn't even get a single vote for finals MVP. This article breaks down a variety of reasons why Curry should have won 2015 finals MVP and not Iggy:

https://ca.nba.com/news/five-years-later-did-stephen-curry-deserve-to-win-finals-mvp-over-andre-iguodala-in-2015/14uqeugs68kg01a8c2zft6803k
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
prolific passer
Analyst

Post#53 » by prolific passer » Wed May 5, 2021 7:19 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

Has to be noted that Hagan as the "#2 option" was a bigger and better scorer than DJ, and were they on the same team, DJ would very clearly be the sidekick.

You can argue that DJ's defense made up for the difference, but your parlance implies offense, and DJ wasn't in Hagan's league there.

So what you are saying is that DJ wasn't in Hagan's league as a scorer and Hagan wasn't in DJ's league as a defender.
Hagan was a more well rounded player than both DJ and Tiny. At his peak he was about a 25 11 5apg that shot pretty well and considered one of the most clutch FT shooters and top hook
shooters of his era.
Now what I said about Tiny before. A stretch in which he put up 27 9 2spg. He was basically the kings. He was a 2nd round pick. Imagine if the bucks drafted him as Oscar's backup and eventual replacement.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#54 » by Doctor MJ » Wed May 5, 2021 7:20 pm

prolific passer wrote:Are we seriously talking about taking Terry Porter over HOFers DJ, Hagan, and Archibald?

A couple thoughts:

1. There's clearly a thing in projects like this where we have to grapple with people viewing peak vs longevity differently. I try to live & let live on that, but I do like making sure everyone aware of what's happening. For myself, as I got more serious about basketball analysis I first drifted to effectively more heavily weight longevity - which I think is common for folks who get heavy into bkref-type stats - but I've since drifted back more toward a balance that's more traditional, and a bit more in tune with the HOF. Key for me is the explicit awareness that the goal in the NBA is to win the title, not simply to be "good". (I'll note some have pushed back against this when I've stated it before, and that's their prerogative.)

2. Conversations on the PC board have made me really appreciate Porter better and I have to say that it no longer seems strange to consider him being better than HOFers like DJ & Tiny (Hagan's harder to compare).

With that said, I do find Tiny's achievement to be particularly salient and hard to ignore. I understand it didn't lead to a contending team, but I'm not prepared to argue that that means Tiny was legit given the data I see.

prolific passer
Analyst

Post#55 » by prolific passer » Wed May 5, 2021 7:28 pm

I'm not knocking Porter as he was he a very good player but would you really take him over a prime Hagan, DJ, and/or Tiny?
prolific passer
Analyst

Post#56 » by prolific passer » Wed May 5, 2021 7:30 pm

I seen Horace Grant is on the list but would anybody take a prime Grant over a prime Kemp?
sansterre
Bench Warmer

Post#57 » by sansterre » Wed May 5, 2021 7:37 pm

prolific passer wrote:I seen Horace Grant is on the list but would anybody take a prime Grant over a prime Kemp?

But you're making a peak-driven argument. I sure as heck would take peak Kemp over peak Grant. But if I could have one career or the other? I'd take Grant and not look back. You need to appreciate that some voters don't vote Top 3 years vs Top 3 years.

Yeesh, and after looking at how awful Kemp's turnover rate was despite the fact that he didn't pass much I may be reconsidering that peaks position . . .

Dutchball97
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Dutchball97 » Wed May 5, 2021 7:38 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:
prolific passer wrote:It used to. Probably before Iggy won it. DJ put up like 22 6 6 for his finals mvp.

You mean other than the fact that those watching it live chose DJ as best? I don't think you should dismiss that lightly.

Re: Iggy's Finals MVP. I do disrespect this one, but that's because I'm 100% confident I know what happened and will not hesitate to say that I and most everyone else knew better. What happened there was that the voters thought LeBron was best but felt a pressure to give it to the winning team, and rather than give it to a rival of LeBron's in Curry, they gave it to someone else. It was wrong. It was a violation of the philosophy of the Finals MVP begun with Jerry West getting the first award. But it's also something I'm not aware of any other voters doing.

Also Re: Iggy. ftr, I think he's a legit Top 100 candidate. I don't see myself championing him, but I respect his case.

I don't use accolades in my evaluation, it tends to distort more than it helps imo.
prolific passer
Analyst

Post#59 » by prolific passer » Wed May 5, 2021 7:43 pm

sansterre wrote:
prolific passer wrote:I seen Horace Grant is on the list but would anybody take a prime Grant over a prime Kemp?

But you're making a peak-driven argument. I sure as heck would take peak Kemp over peak Grant. But if I could have one career or the other? I'd take Grant and not look back. You need to appreciate that some voters don't vote Top 3 years vs Top 3 years.

Kemp had a 10 year stretch that is HOF worthy.
Grant was a 3rd option at his best.
sansterre
Bench Warmer

Post#60 » by sansterre » Wed May 5, 2021 7:45 pm

prolific passer wrote:
sansterre wrote:

Kemp had a 10 year stretch that is HOF worthy.
Grant was a 3rd option at his best.

If Grant being a 3rd option is a deal-breaker for you why isn't it a deal-breaker for DJ?

Return to Player Comparisons