2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread

Moderators: Clyde Frazier, trex_8063, Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal, Quotatious

s0ciety
Freshman
Posts: 51
And1: 40
Joined: Feb 26, 2020

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#41 » by s0ciety » Fri May 21, 2021 1:35 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:.


Doctor MJ, I was looking at your spreadsheet and noticed that OPOY and DPOY only go back as far as 2015.
I suppose that it's when the Official Board POY started getting voted annually.

Do you plan on having a Retro OPOY and DPOY like you did with POY, for seasons prior to 2015?

As far as this season go, my Top-5 before the playoffs starts and considering health, would be:

1. Jokic
2. Giannis
3. Curry
4. Embiid
5. Gobert


I expect a lot of changes with the playoffs this year, considering the fact that a lot of important players missed a significant amount of time in the RS.

A strong Post-Season from any of Doncic, Lillard, Kawhi, Paul, Butler, LeBron, AD, Nets Big3 could get them in, depending on how the dominoes fall.
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 64,520
And1: 59,946
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#42 » by Texas Chuck » Fri May 21, 2021 8:26 pm

Joe Ingles winning 6MOY would make me so happy. Most importantly because it means the most deserving player won this year. But also maybe it encourages voters to look beyond just the bench gunner archetype more in future years. Plus he's just one of the most enjoyable players in the league to me. Great passer, great shooter(love his best in the world schtick so much), smart defender, terrific team player, trolls the other team to great effect, etc...
bondom34 wrote:This is stupid and you know this is stupid.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 44,221
And1: 13,167
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
   

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#43 » by Doctor MJ » Fri May 21, 2021 9:07 pm

s0ciety wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:.


Doctor MJ, I was looking at your spreadsheet and noticed that OPOY and DPOY only go back as far as 2015.
I suppose that it's when the Official Board POY started getting voted annually.

Do you plan on having a Retro OPOY and DPOY like you did with POY, for seasons prior to 2015?


That's actually something I've long wanted to make happen but the time's never seemed right, and I have to say now doesn't seem right either with us just coming off the Top 100.

We did the original Retro POY project in 2010 and in doing so we pushed the intended 2010 Top 100 back to 2011 to make use of the pent up project-energy.

If this is something folks are interested in, I hope they say so. Could see doing it next summer. I think we need a break now though.
Hey: With what's going on in the world, my fuse is shorter than it used to be, and it's leading my lose my cool and then go on self-imposed breaks from things (such as RealGM). Please try to keep it civil, and I'll be looking to do the same.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 44,221
And1: 13,167
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
   

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#44 » by Doctor MJ » Fri May 21, 2021 9:07 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Joe Ingles winning 6MOY would make me so happy. Most importantly because it means the most deserving player won this year. But also maybe it encourages voters to look beyond just the bench gunner archetype more in future years. Plus he's just one of the most enjoyable players in the league to me. Great passer, great shooter(love his best in the world schtick so much), smart defender, terrific team player, trolls the other team to great effect, etc...


He's my pick through the RS.
Hey: With what's going on in the world, my fuse is shorter than it used to be, and it's leading my lose my cool and then go on self-imposed breaks from things (such as RealGM). Please try to keep it civil, and I'll be looking to do the same.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
Posts: 19,233
And1: 15,337
Joined: Mar 08, 2012
     

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#45 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat May 22, 2021 12:46 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
s0ciety wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:.


Doctor MJ, I was looking at your spreadsheet and noticed that OPOY and DPOY only go back as far as 2015.
I suppose that it's when the Official Board POY started getting voted annually.

Do you plan on having a Retro OPOY and DPOY like you did with POY, for seasons prior to 2015?


That's actually something I've long wanted to make happen but the time's never seemed right, and I have to say now doesn't seem right either with us just coming off the Top 100.

We did the original Retro POY project in 2010 and in doing so we pushed the intended 2010 Top 100 back to 2011 to make use of the pent up project-energy.

If this is something folks are interested in, I hope they say so. Could see doing it next summer. I think we need a break now though.


I've actually been thinking of doing a Retro FMVP (and one where it's suggested that it's okay to go awarding it to a losing player), but there's always a project going on.
therealbig3
RealGM
Posts: 27,081
And1: 13,204
Joined: Jul 31, 2010

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#46 » by therealbig3 » Sat May 22, 2021 4:12 am

Barring some crazy things happening in the playoffs, Curry has a top 5 vote locked up for me...likely top 3.
Dutchball97
Starter
Posts: 2,469
And1: 2,077
Joined: Mar 28, 2020
 

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#47 » by Dutchball97 » Sat May 22, 2021 7:34 am

I was so excited to see Ja make his play-off debut (I'm much higher on his ceiling than most it seems) that I completely forgot this pretty much eliminates Curry from any top 5 consideration.
Colbinii
RealGM
Posts: 16,839
And1: 9,398
Joined: Feb 13, 2013

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#48 » by Colbinii » Sat May 22, 2021 12:40 pm

Dutchball97 wrote:I was so excited to see Ja make his play-off debut (I'm much higher on his ceiling than most it seems) that I completely forgot this pretty much eliminates Curry from any top 5 consideration.


No it doesn't. It does your you since your rankings include mostly teammates level of play.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.


penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.


E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.
User avatar
eminence
General Manager
Posts: 9,230
And1: 5,765
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#49 » by eminence » Sat May 22, 2021 12:45 pm

Yeah, Steph played pretty well in those games, strong contender for a backend top 5 spot for me.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17
Dutchball97
Starter
Posts: 2,469
And1: 2,077
Joined: Mar 28, 2020
 

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#50 » by Dutchball97 » Sat May 22, 2021 1:47 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:I was so excited to see Ja make his play-off debut (I'm much higher on his ceiling than most it seems) that I completely forgot this pretty much eliminates Curry from any top 5 consideration.


No it doesn't. It does your you since your rankings include mostly teammates level of play.


No need to make up stuff about me mate. Not sure why you're agitated at this but that doesn't mean you have to act like that. Me valuing the post-season doesn't mean I only look at how good someone's team is. I would have had Gobert as MVP then, wouldn't I? You have any explanation for my top 3 consisting of two guys on 3 seeds and even an 8 seed?

Curry has been a top 3 player in the regular season but it's not like there aren't a bunch of guys who could pass him with good play-off runs. It is still technically possible that enough top 10 players falter in the play-offs but I wouldn't bet on that.

And of course this is only about my own top 5 considerations. If your criteria are just based on who you think would do the best in a random situation without context then you can go ahead and ignore the play-offs for all I care.
LukaTheGOAT
Senior
Posts: 575
And1: 364
Joined: Dec 25, 2019
 

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#51 » by LukaTheGOAT » Mon May 24, 2021 11:42 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Joe Ingles winning 6MOY would make me so happy. Most importantly because it means the most deserving player won this year. But also maybe it encourages voters to look beyond just the bench gunner archetype more in future years. Plus he's just one of the most enjoyable players in the league to me. Great passer, great shooter(love his best in the world schtick so much), smart defender, terrific team player, trolls the other team to great effect, etc...


My condolensces.
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 108,871
And1: 62,323
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Malone touched me
 

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#52 » by Dupp » Wed May 26, 2021 10:11 am

therealbig3 wrote:Barring some crazy things happening in the playoffs, Curry has a top 5 vote locked up for me...likely top 3.



Giannis, Luka, Jokic, embiid all have the potential to have a good playoff run and finish ahead of curry. Outside chance kawhi and Lilly.
Ambrose
Veteran
Posts: 2,746
And1: 2,513
Joined: Jul 05, 2014

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#53 » by Ambrose » Wed May 26, 2021 3:51 pm

If Dallas beats the Clippers and Luka keeps this up I think he'd have to be top 5 unless the guys ahead of him went bonkers.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 44,221
And1: 13,167
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
   

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#54 » by Doctor MJ » Wed May 26, 2021 5:33 pm

eminence wrote:Yeah, Steph played pretty well in those games, strong contender for a backend top 5 spot for me.


Yeah it's one of those things for me where the loss of that last game doesn't drop him at all (he's still #3 on my list for now), but now he has no chance to add to his season, and other guys are bound to have playoff success.

Of course as I say that, I currently have Gobert ahead of Steph and Gobert's place is far from set in stone. The path for him rising to #1 is clear, but so is the path for him falling out of my top 5.
Hey: With what's going on in the world, my fuse is shorter than it used to be, and it's leading my lose my cool and then go on self-imposed breaks from things (such as RealGM). Please try to keep it civil, and I'll be looking to do the same.
User avatar
eminence
General Manager
Posts: 9,230
And1: 5,765
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#55 » by eminence » Sat May 29, 2021 9:22 pm

What an egg from Jimmy and the Heat after last season, he was in my 'maybe he can make a run' bracket, but not even close.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
Posts: 19,233
And1: 15,337
Joined: Mar 08, 2012
     

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#56 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Jun 2, 2021 4:09 am

Damian in my top 5 is looking good right now.

A lot of work some other star players have to do in later rounds to bump him out. He was absolutely stellar this series even before this legendary game.
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 64,520
And1: 59,946
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#57 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:56 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Damian in my top 5 is looking good right now.

A lot of work some other star players have to do in later rounds to bump him out. He was absolutely stellar this series even before this legendary game.


My takeaway was Jokic continues erasing all doubt about who POY should be.

But yeah I'm super high on Dame as well.
bondom34 wrote:This is stupid and you know this is stupid.
Dutchball97
Starter
Posts: 2,469
And1: 2,077
Joined: Mar 28, 2020
 

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#58 » by Dutchball97 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 4:56 pm

It is going to take a dominant performance on a team that at least makes it to the finals for anyone to have a shot at passing Jokic for POY and every round further the Nuggets get, the slimmer even that possibility becomes.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 44,221
And1: 13,167
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
   

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#59 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:15 pm

So on Jokic being POY, I definitely see him as vulnerable and will likely continue to see him this way through the finals. If '15-16 Curry can lose out while playing all the way to the end, I don't really have any doubt that a player may emerge after Jokic is eliminated and take the top spot.

Will they? Dunno. Definitely they'd have to "come from behind" with particularly stellar performances, but if someone ends up leading a team to a title in a heroic way, that may well do it.

Looking at some specifics:

Philly, Boston, Dallas and the LA teams all come to mind as teams with superstars who if they win the title will likely have a heroic performance that's hard to pass up.

Utah has a specific case where if they were to win it might be because Mitchell does something freakish, but if the Jazz win the title on the back of Gobert's defense and an ensemble offensive cast, he'd certainly be a serious candidate for me.

That leaves Brooklyn & Phoenix as teams that are plausible contenders without a clear cut best player. While it's very plausible to see Durant or Harden have a great run and be anointed as "The Best Player in the World", I'm not sure if that will be enough to pass up Jokic for me, but I won't entirely rule it out.

I'll also say this: If Portland were to beat the Nuggets, the way Dame's been playing, I'd have to seriously consider Lillard over Jokic.
Hey: With what's going on in the world, my fuse is shorter than it used to be, and it's leading my lose my cool and then go on self-imposed breaks from things (such as RealGM). Please try to keep it civil, and I'll be looking to do the same.
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 64,520
And1: 59,946
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: 2020-21 RealGM All-Season POY & Other Awards Discussion Thread 

Post#60 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jun 2, 2021 6:25 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
I'll also say this: If Portland were to beat the Nuggets, the way Dame's been playing, I'd have to seriously consider Lillard over Jokic.


Would love some elaboration on this if you wouldn't mind. Because I got to say on the surface that seems to be minimizing too much what Jokic did over a full 72 games. And its not like Jokic is playing anything short of fantastic in this series himself.

I love Dame. Been making some enemies particularly among Mavs fans because I've take Dame over Luka for all-NBA the last two seasons. But Jokic this year.....just something else entirely.
bondom34 wrote:This is stupid and you know this is stupid.

Return to Player Comparisons