The LeBron Thread 2021 Off-Season Edition

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,800

Re: The LeBron Thread 2021 Off-Season Edition 

Post#1061 » by Mos_Heat » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:02 pm

dcstanley wrote:Is Westbrook a worse fit than Schroeder? Russ is considerably worse as a defender, worse as a shooter, significantly better as a playmaker, and slightly better as a scorer. In terms of fit, Schroeder for Westbrook is essentially a 1 for 1 swap.

Westbrook way worse of the ball

I think on the same usage Westbrook might be slightly better, I just don't believe he's gonna play like a role player
:reporter:
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,786

Post#1062 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:07 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:
dcstanley wrote:Is Westbrook a worse fit than Schroeder? Russ is considerably worse as a defender, worse as a shooter, significantly better as a playmaker, and slightly better as a scorer. In terms of fit, Schroeder for Westbrook is essentially a 1 for 1 swap.

Westbrook way worse of the ball

I think on the same usage Westbrook might be slightly better, I just don't believe he's gonna play like a role player

This is a key point. Schroder would at least try to adjust to a smaller role when LeBron and AD were on the court. Russ still plays like it's 2017.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#1063 » by Slava » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:11 pm

Come on now, Westbrook is an entirely different stratosphere on offense.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#1064 » by Greyhound » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:16 pm

LeBron’s body language when the Lakers are 30 games in and he is averaging under 20 points on 43% from the field will be priceless.
Don't believe the hype...
KTM_2813
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#1065 » by KTM_2813 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:24 pm

Everything I've learned about basketball in my 20 years as a fan has led me to believe that this is one of the most obviously terrible trades of all-time. Always happy to be proven wrong, but jeez. At this point, I'd support a lineup of Westbrook, LeBron, Davis, Drummond, and Gasol, just to see how bad spacing can truly get.
sansterre wrote:The success of a star's season is:

Individual performance + Teammate performance - Opposition +/- Luck
Greatness
RealGM
And1: 4,535

Post#1066 » by Greatness » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:36 pm

After sleeping on it, it's still **** terrible.
Bled
Sixth Man
And1: 261

Post#1067 » by Bled » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:05 pm

As much as I don’t like the trade, there are some things that I noticed happen a lot last year that was extremely frustrating.

So many times AD and Bron would make good offball plays and Schroeder would never see it or miss the pass. I think Westbrook will make those passes and at least open that up for them.

We saw how AD thrived with Rondo, I think it will be similar with Westbrook. I think Lebron is capable of adjusting to Westbrook. They just desperately need some shooting, maybe Pelinka has a general list of who they want to fill out the roster but I don’t know.

Hopefully they can get some pieces with a Schroeder sign and trade, then we can really see if this was a huge mistake or not.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#1068 » by MisterHibachi » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Still not a big fan of the Westbrook trade, but withholding final judgment until we see how the rest of the roster shakes out. If the Lakers can get some good shooters around these 3, and move AD and LeBron to the 5 and 4, it's a pretty good lineup.

The Lakers played with Dennis and Drummond next to LeBron and AD last year. Westbrook is no worse in terms of spacing than Dennis and provides additional value in more ways, and if AD is at the 5 then an additional wing on the floor would mean better spacing than last year.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#1069 » by Baski » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:00 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is so terrible it's hilarious.

"When you grow up you realize that nobody really knows what they're doing" has never been truer than now.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#1070 » by MisterHibachi » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Rudy would be a nice addition. Melo would add great vibes at least. Vogel loves swag, he loved Rondo for it.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Greatness
RealGM
And1: 4,535

Post#1071 » by Greatness » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:20 pm

Would love Rudy, he's become a real nice role player on the Spurs.
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#1072 » by kayess » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:21 pm

Is the Schroeder S&T for Hield or some other shooter a possibility? KOC said it wasn't that crazy that a 3rd team would get involved (the trade isn't official official).
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#1073 » by falcolombardi » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:25 pm

i cannot wait for all the people who have been calling westbrook trash for years since the dursnt days even to suddendly criticize lebron for his unfair super team

that is low key my least favorite part of the trade, even if it works out, people will be revisionist and pretend they always said westbrook was a superstar to downolay lebron, and if it crashes 37 year old lebron will be criticized for "not winning with a superteam"

because super team in the basketball mainstream basically means "franchise/player i dont like, doesnt count"
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#1074 » by LikeABosh » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:38 pm

LiquidSnakeOmen wrote:Honestly, I don't really get why people are so obsessed with how a player fit on a team over talent.

From what I am reading, it seem the only reason why people believe the Lakers should have traded for Buddy Hield over Westbrook is because Hield can shoot perimeter shots without taking anything else into consideration.

Based on what I have seen from Hield over the past 3 years, I wouldn't be confident that adding him to the team would be a major improvement especially if Schröder was to remain the starter and primary ball handler in this scenario.

I would much rather have Westbrook who can initiate the offense and take pressure off Lebron having to be the primary handler, lead the second unit when Lebron sit down, set up AD and other big men for easy buckets, and help pace both Lebron and AD for the entire season.

Beside, if you look at Hield's performance, you will see that his ppg, FG%, 3 point shooting have declined over the past 3 years.

Basically, if Schröder still remained the point guard or the Lakers couldn't find a better replacement for Schröder in free agency, then Hield is a nonfactor to me.

Now, if you add Hield to the current team with Lebron, AD, and Westbrook, then it would make sense to me and the Lakers clearly get better.

3 year RAPM ranks Hield as the 597th best defender out of 755 players. Westbrook is ranked 50th. So there's that too I guess
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#1075 » by LikeABosh » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:39 pm

kayess wrote:Is the Schroeder S&T for Hield or some other shooter a possibility? KOC said it wasn't that crazy that a 3rd team would get involved (the trade isn't official official).

It can't be completed until Aug 6th so yeah, that gives time for Schroder and the Lakers to decide what to do in free agency. I doubt he goes to the Kings tho

MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Still not a big fan of the Westbrook trade, but withholding final judgment until we see how the rest of the roster shakes out. If the Lakers can get some good shooters around these 3, and move AD and LeBron to the 5 and 4, it's a pretty good lineup.

The Lakers played with Dennis and Drummond next to LeBron and AD last year. Westbrook is no worse in terms of spacing than Dennis and provides additional value in more ways, and if AD is at the 5 then an additional wing on the floor would mean better spacing than last year.

Been awhile since Porter had a good defensive season, but he's a great catch and shoot guy. .404, .422, and .432 the last 3 seasons. League average is like ~.370. Hield has similar averages on a higher volume
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#1076 » by homecourtloss » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:42 pm

Greatness wrote:Would love Rudy, he's become a real nice role player on the Spurs.

Gay had one of his best defensive years ever last year. He was also nearly 40% on spot up threes. He would be an excellent get.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,656

Post#1077 » by nzahir » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:03 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter

I thought I was being too optimistic about getting OPJ for mle

But he is a huge injury risk

If you guys could have Batum or OPJ, who do you take?

I go Batum

Is Rudy really going to take the min?

Imagine if Buddy still happens and Dennis is in this deal to a team like NYK and we use exception

Russ, Hield, Batum, Bron, AD
AC, THT, Wes?, Gay?, Gasol

Sign vet min lob threat
Sign some more vet guards and wings
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#1078 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:10 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ugh, that is gross. I'm not a fan of today's extreme three-point-chucker ball, but the Lakers seem to be going in the opposite (and equally hard to watch) extreme.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,786

Post#1079 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:18 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ugh, that is gross. I'm not a fan of today's extreme three-point-chucker ball, but the Lakers seem to be going in the opposite (and equally hard to watch) extreme.

Melo and Gay very much fit that archetype in 2021 though.
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,248

Post#1080 » by McBubbles » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:29 pm

Baski wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is so terrible it's hilarious.

"When you grow up you realize that nobody really knows what they're doing" has never truer than now.

I remember the day I had the realization that on a governmental scale and business ownership scale "nobody really knows what they're doing" was very accurate in my experience. I just saw people constantly fail upwards or systems break / companies fail time and time again and thought "Am I living in a simulation? Why are so many obvious things seemingly broken on purpose?" Actually gave me an existential crisis lol.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?

Return to Player Comparisons