Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

ZeppelinPage
Head Coach
And1: 3,326

Re: Do we underrated Wilt nowadays? 

Post#21 » by ZeppelinPage » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:15 pm

Owly wrote:
ZeppelinPage wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:Wilt question… I know nothing about this game other than what I read in the box score the other day while randomly looking into Wilt led teams…

So in 1968 the 76ers are the defending champions after winning in 67. They win 62 games and have the best record in the league by 6 games over the next closest team. They make it to the conference finals and take a 3-1 lead on the Celtics. They blow the lead and lose the series, and in game 7 Wilt only takes 9 shots in a 4 point loss? He played all 48 minutes, how does this happen? He had three teammates shoot over 20 attempts in that game (another with 17) and he took just 9 shots despite being the teams leading scorer. What the hell happened here?

The entire starting line-up of the 76ers was injured (except Hal Greer, I think) and Billy Cunningham broke his wrist in the 1st round and was out. Wilt was already dealing with injury and in the middle of the series hurt his foot on top of that.

Different sources highlight different players (Cunningham, Chamberlain and Jackson consistently mentioned) but across sources it includes all their top 6 (the above 3 Jones, Walker and Greer - plus maybe Goukas too if you trust Wilt, the Guokas injury is only is in Wilt's autobiography of the major books about the team or its players). In Cherry's biography of Wilt there is reference to "burstitis in his knees", "creaky joints ached" of Greer.

At Jules ... he didn't get the ball. For more detail see
Wilt: Larger than Life (Cherry, '04) p197-199 where it is said that he got the ball (unclear if passes or includes offensive rebounds, guessing latter) 7 time in the post in the second half.

Wilt's version/angle differs slightly but some is compatible with the above
Wilt (Chamberlain, Shaw, '73): "I was playing the way we'd played - and won - all year." and "Boston had half their team guarding me. Russell was behind me, and K.C. Jones and Sam Jones would collapse back on me. That left my teammates open for easy eight-to-ten-foot jump shots. I kept passing the ball to them, but they kept missing."

Yeah, I've seen different kinds of injuries listed and some that only mention certain starters. In Chet Walker's book, he claims he himself had a groin pull and that mid-way through the series Wilt tore a calf muscle (I incorrectly remembered it as a foot injury) when he was already dealing with a pulled thigh tendon that "hampered any lateral movement"
coastalmarker99
Starter
And1: 2,172

Re: Do we underrate Wilt nowadays? 

Post#22 » by coastalmarker99 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:32 pm

Wilt in the 1968 ECF couldn't turn around and score due to a serious calf injury he had therefore he had to feed Hal Geer which explains why Geer went off in some of the games in that series.

The 76ers have nine men in uniform for the best-of-seven playoffs, which they lead, two games to one. But whether they'll have anybody left for the finals against the Western Division winner is anybody's guess.

The team's troubles multiplied in the Eastern Division semifinals against the New York Knickerbockers. Cunningham broke his wrist, knocking him out for the season, Jones and Jackson suffered their injuries and Chamberlain aggravated his perennial toe injury.

And when Boston thumped the 76ers in the opening game of their playoffs here last Friday, some predicted a quick knockout of the injury-riddled champs.

But Philadelphia whacked Boston two straight, including Thursday where an injury actually helped the 76ers cause, points out Pollack.

How so?

"Well, Chamberlain was hurt and he couldn't turn around to score-so he kept feeding Greer, and he scored 31," explained Pollack the 76ers statistician.
Reggie Jackson is amazing and a killer in the clutch that's all.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#23 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:37 pm

I think the problem with big men is its harder to ascribe the whole genius iq to them than it is to smaller players such as Magic, MJ, LeBron, Bird etc in terms of how they play the game. So even though Wilt could do pretty much everything on the court people find it harder to believe that he combined it in a way that was ultimately about winning. So that's the criticism that has sort of become his legacy I think. Though Russell and Duncan are definitely up there though I think that has a lot to do with how they played defense and people respect Kareem's skill level. With Wilt people just see physical dominance.
coastalmarker99
Starter

Post#24 » by coastalmarker99 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:45 pm

The 1970 Lakers made Chamberlain the number 1 option until he tore his patella tendon.

In those 9 Games that Wilt went back to his Scoring days instead of the 1966-1968 play-style.

Wilt
32 PPG 21 RPG 3 APG
56.5 TS (+5.4 rTS)

Jerry West:
31 PPG 7 APG 3 RPG
64.3 TS (+13.2 rTS)

From those stats and the fact that Wilt posted the highest-scoring games in 1967 1968 1969, we see that he easily could have kept averaging over 35 points a game for his entire prime.

Wilt being used by VBK as a glorified Rodman that barely got to touch the ball after winning 3 straight MVP's and being the only man to beat the Celtics was a confusing coaching decision.

As Wilt was still a dominant force offensively.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#25 » by No-more-rings » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:12 am

He’s a clear top 10 player with a good argument for top 5. Lower than 8 or 9, then yes you’d be underrating him.
ChiLongQua
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#26 » by ChiLongQua » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:36 pm

Considering he was unanimously top 3 all time until about 2010, yes.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Re: Do we underrated Wilt nowadays? 

Post#27 » by Warspite » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:13 am

JulesWinnfield wrote:Wilt question… I know nothing about this game other than what I read in the box score the other day while randomly looking into Wilt led teams…

So in 1968 the 76ers are the defending champions after winning in 67. They win 62 games and have the best record in the league by 6 games over the next closest team. They make it to the conference finals and take a 3-1 lead on the Celtics. They blow the lead and lose the series, and in game 7 Wilt only takes 9 shots in a 4 point loss? He played all 48 minutes, how does this happen? He had three teammates shoot over 20 attempts in that game (another with 17) and he took just 9 shots despite being the teams leading scorer. What the hell happened here?

The Celtics double and triple teamed the guy who led the league in assists so he found the open man and passed the ball for easy shots. His teammates missed almost 20 shots in a row in game 7. They choked. 1968 was a year very similar to 2020. The world was coming to an end with the Cold war, Vietnam, MLK, RFK, riots, civil unrest all contributing to distract players who weren't named Bill Russell.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#28 » by penbeast0 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:31 pm

Also notice that despite being the leading scorer, it was mainly because of minutes and his personal shooting efficiency. Per 36, he was 6th out of the top 6 in shot attempts so being a non-shooting passing hub wasn't unknown.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#29 » by JN61 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:17 pm

I think people are slowly again starting to value Wilt properly. There was a time when championships were in such crucial spotlight in valuing players that I felt Wilt was largely overlooked. However I still see the slander of plumbers and car mechanics thrown around.

So my conclusion is it's getting better but there is still rooms for many people to study older generations of players.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#30 » by Statlanta » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:19 pm

No his world records will stop him from being underrated. The 60s guards and the 50's greats are more underrated than him
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#31 » by ceiling raiser » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:38 pm

Is Wilt one of the most portable players in the top 25?

You might be able to make that argument.
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,011

Post#32 » by Owly » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:45 pm

fpliii wrote:Is Wilt one of the most portable players in the top 25?

Well obviously how one defines/understands portability (and are we talking across eras too? Even if not then how well one understands 60s basketball comes in and. with all due respect to guys finding and tracking games from that era, I'd be cynical on anyone's claims to do that really well).

I'd guess I lean Wilt sympathetic more than some regulars here, in terms of defending him or expressing sympathy for circumstances...

But I think Wilt really liked scoring. I think he liked playing huge minutes. I think if you want to play a college-y motion-y offense, with him mainly out in the higher post and screening- well see BvBK, Lakers '69. I think if you think him capable of big impact there are years where, whatever the mitigating circumstances (health, fit, loss of other players, lack of spacing) it's either unclear that he's having a large impact (generous version) or clear he's not having a large impact (meaner, but I think likely true in some cases).

Waxing positive, I think '67 (or maybe '68 without the passing goal) ... and you happen to have a coach he respects, (and there's a big TS% add in a small usage role that seems useful to any team) he seems to be big impact on a really strong SRS for the era.

On the whole though I lean more cynical.

Caveats: As implied above wrt knowledge about the 60s game ... big uncertainty here. e.g: I've heard concerns about him getting up court (main one from a contemporary that sticks with me was Cousy saying he wouldn't have waited for Wilt to get up court ... one could argue whether Boston could have been a bit more patient in their offense, though hard to argue with the net results ... think I may have heard a poster here allude to it). If he is doing that and it's related to the playing minutes and he's protective of his minutes, that seems like a pretty big issue (in that era, playing 4 on 5 with a spare center in the early halfcourt O with no 3s sounds bad). But I don't know if he was doing that or how often and for what period of his career. Accurate turnover numbers, willingness to/frequency of late clock shots taken, court vision, how long he held the ball would all shape perceptions of how he fits with other talent.

Portability often seems differently understood by different people. In terms of scaling to a good team, as alluded to above ... on the right good team, with the right coach and the right version of Chamberlain, there's something there ... career-wide though ...
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,432

Post#33 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:29 pm

fpliii wrote:I wonder if the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction. Speaking for myself personally, it's almost as if he's a broken player with myriad flaws, but I think this is overadjusting.

Legitimate Criticisms
• Limited post effectiveness (based on his efficiency, unless you assume he was poor at the rim/transition, had HC scoring issues)
• Potentially turnover-prone (some of this was based on a small tracking sample, but he seemed closer to Cousins than Shaq on the block)
• Unwilling to defend in space (this isn't unique to him, however in the modern NBA with switching/PnR spam would hurt)
• Supporting casts full of HOFs (his first few years his team was overrated due to pioneers, but with the Sixers/Lakers had talent)
• Middling scoring resiliency (had issues scoring at the same rate in the playoffs, some of this was due to pace, some due to C's D)

Positives Overlooked
• Durability (goes beyond stamina; 64 heart issues and 69 injury are the only red flag)
• Fairly coachable (i.e. McGuire, Hannum, Sharman - 68 playoffs a counterpoint, as is the VBK thing, but Baylor worsened fit RE:71-72)
• Ability to adjust (underrated portability, he probably can play an elite role alongside any other star)
• Longevity (Wilt signed a three year deal with the ABA in 73 and had a good feeling for his body; that's a long career)
• Obsession with stats (this sounds like a negative, but can you imagine Wilt, who loved to learn, with modern scouting/analytics?)

What do you all think? Should we give Wilt more benefit of the doubt? Should he be viewed as a top 10 lock? Or would he be a less-mobile (in terms of horizontal game), more durable David Robinson today?

A worthy topic certainly, though I am left wondering what you consider "overadjusting".

For myself generally, I generally rank him as the #2 player in history prior to Kareem. I'd think that while many would disagree with me putting Bill Russell ahead of him, that's more about a specific player comparison than it is about my opinion of Wilt being in freefall.

I have to acknowledge that I put more more-recent players ahead of Wilt than many do, and that this is most meaningful imho where I'm comparing him to other bigs. So for example, I put Hakeem Olajuwon and Shaquille O'Neal ahead of Wilt. Is this what you have in mind when you say "overadjusting"?

I say all this in part because I want to draw a distinction between pointing out Wilt's issues, and ranking Wilt super, super, super low. The guys I have ahead of Wilt were really, really, really good, and I think it's important that this isn't forgotten as we debate the Big Dipper.

Additionally, I cannot emphasize enough that I rank Wilt as a considerably more important player to basketball history than anyone else of his era, Bill Russell included. Sometimes it seems to me that people come into these arguments looking to rank players by their cultural importance rather than their actual team impact. Best not to conflate the two criteria.

To your points:

I want to specifically highlight wilts durability - both stamina and longevity. He's clearly exceptional here and this is no small thing. And, at some point in the future, Wilt moves back up my RealGM 100-style GOAT list, it will likely be because of this.

Coachable/Adaptable. You can't mention this without a Con indicating that Wilt might just decide he doesn't like a coach and won't do what he wants. Wilt was mercurial in the extreme, and seemed to be something like a pro-KD whose attitude changed dramatically not simply with different coaches and teammates, but based on off-court interests.

Stat obsession - this is definitely something I've thought about. His stat obsession I think caused some real problems for Wilt's impact back in the day, but with better stats, he'd probably do a lot better. Hard to say how much better, but it could be quite substantial.

But this also goes with the whole thing where Wilt probably would have respected the NBA a lot more in today's game and wouldn't have had his interest wane as much as a result. There's no what-might-have-been like Wilt, I think we'd all agree.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,432

Post#34 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:33 pm

fpliii wrote:Is Wilt one of the most portable players in the top 25?

It has to be noted that the one actual test of this we had was when he came to the Lakers and didn't make them a whole lot better until years later.

The intent of portability to my mind is, to some degree, about what you can actually expect from a player if you "port" him to a new context he must blend in with, and willingness actually blend thus is part of the equation.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,011

Post#35 » by Owly » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:12 am

ChiLongQua wrote:Considering he was unanimously top 3 all time until about 2010, yes.

Consensus? Maybe. Unanimous, no. Technically I would just have to name one but ...

'96 Pete Vecsey, Sport Magazine, 4
'97 Slam Magazine 5
'98 Athlon 7
2009 Bill Simmons, The Book of Basketball, 6

And fwiw, if one had him at top 3 (say 3rd), and one takes RealGM's 2020 ranking of him as where he is presently "rated" (and I can see why one might not) then two of those above him added some value in the 2010s (LeBron, Duncan) so his "slip" in perception only necesarily requires flipping him with one player (Jordan, Kareem or Russell).
coastalmarker99
Starter

Post#36 » by coastalmarker99 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:59 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
fpliii wrote:I wonder if the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction. Speaking for myself personally, it's almost as if he's a broken player with myriad flaws, but I think this is overadjusting.

Legitimate Criticisms
• Limited post effectiveness (based on his efficiency, unless you assume he was poor at the rim/transition, had HC scoring issues)
• Potentially turnover-prone (some of this was based on a small tracking sample, but he seemed closer to Cousins than Shaq on the block)
• Unwilling to defend in space (this isn't unique to him, however in the modern NBA with switching/PnR spam would hurt)
• Supporting casts full of HOFs (his first few years his team was overrated due to pioneers, but with the Sixers/Lakers had talent)
• Middling scoring resiliency (had issues scoring at the same rate in the playoffs, some of this was due to pace, some due to C's D)

Positives Overlooked
• Durability (goes beyond stamina; 64 heart issues and 69 injury are the only red flag)
• Fairly coachable (i.e. McGuire, Hannum, Sharman - 68 playoffs a counterpoint, as is the VBK thing, but Baylor worsened fit RE:71-72)
• Ability to adjust (underrated portability, he probably can play an elite role alongside any other star)
• Longevity (Wilt signed a three year deal with the ABA in 73 and had a good feeling for his body; that's a long career)
• Obsession with stats (this sounds like a negative, but can you imagine Wilt, who loved to learn, with modern scouting/analytics?)

What do you all think? Should we give Wilt more benefit of the doubt? Should he be viewed as a top 10 lock? Or would he be a less-mobile (in terms of horizontal game), more durable David Robinson today?

A worthy topic certainly, though I am left wondering what you consider "overadjusting".

For myself generally, I generally rank him as the #2 player in history prior to Kareem. I'd think that while many would disagree with me putting Bill Russell ahead of him, that's more about a specific player comparison than it is about my opinion of Wilt being in freefall.

I have to acknowledge that I put more more-recent players ahead of Wilt than many do, and that this is most meaningful imho where I'm comparing him to other bigs. So for example, I put Hakeem Olajuwon and Shaquille O'Neal ahead of Wilt. Is this what you have in mind when you say "overadjusting"?

I say all this in part because I want to draw a distinction between pointing out Wilt's issues, and ranking Wilt super, super, super low. The guys I have ahead of Wilt were really, really, really good, and I think it's important that this isn't forgotten as we debate the Big Dipper.

Additionally, I cannot emphasize enough that I rank Wilt as a considerably more important player to basketball history than anyone else of his era, Bill Russell included. Sometimes it seems to me that people come into these arguments looking to rank players by their cultural importance rather than their actual team impact. Best not to conflate the two criteria.

To your points:

I want to specifically highlight wilts durability - both stamina and longevity. He's clearly exceptional here and this is no small thing. And, at some point in the future, Wilt moves back up my RealGM 100-style GOAT list, it will likely be because of this.

Coachable/Adaptable. You can't mention this without a Con indicating that Wilt might just decide he doesn't like a coach and won't do what he wants. Wilt was mercurial in the extreme, and seemed to be something like a pro-KD whose attitude changed dramatically not simply with different coaches and teammates, but based on off-court interests.

Stat obsession - this is definitely something I've thought about. His stat obsession I think caused some real problems for Wilt's impact back in the day, but with better stats, he'd probably do a lot better. Hard to say how much better, but it could be quite substantial.

But this also goes with the whole thing where Wilt probably would have respected the NBA a lot more in today's game and wouldn't have had his interest wane as much as a result. There's no what-might-have-been like Wilt, I think we'd all agree.

Most rational Wilt fans will concede that the 1969 season was Wilt's worst season of his career.

Had he managed to put up even a near-routine game six of the 1969 finals LA would have won the Finals.

Of course there has never been a worse coaching debacle in NBA history, than what the "Butcher" put up in '69.

And his hatred for Wilt started even before the season began. He went to Wilt and asked Chamberlain to play the high post so that a declining Baylor would be able to drive the baseline.

And while people" always call Wilt a "selfish stat-padder"...it was interesting that no one sacrificed more of his offence of the West-Baylor-Wilt trio...than Chamberlain.

And this was the classic comment from the incompetent coach...

"So we were able to throw the ball down low to Wilt and he'd score, but it was an ugly offence to watch."

Instead, VBK preferred the shot-jacking of Baylor, who put up one of the worst Finals in NBA history by a Top-25 player...shooting 39.7 from the floor (and a team-worst .38.5 in the entire post-season)...including games of 4-18 shooting in a game three six-point loss

BTW, Elgin and West combined to shoot 1-14 in the 4th quarter of that game); 2-14 from the field, and yes, 1-6 from the line, in a game four one-point loss; and then a game seven of 8-22 from the field, and couldn't hit anything in the last quarter, of a two-point loss.

And, as mentioned earlier, aside from keeping Wilt on the bench in the last five minutes of that game seven (and after Chamberlain helped key a run in which the Lakers wiped out 10 points from a 17 point deficit in a little over four minutes)...VBK's biggest coaching blunder occurred in the last seconds of game four.

The Lakers were leading the series, 2-1, and leading in the game, 88-87, and had the ball. You would think that VBK would have put the ball into "Mr. Clutch's" hands in that last possession.

Nope...he had Johnny Egan handling it, and as expected, he was stripped, and then with no time on the clock, Sam Jones, while falling down, hit the game-winning shot. And in game five, with Chamberlain easily outplaying Russell, in a 117-104 win...had Egan not lost the ball on that one play.. the Lakers would have won the finals in five games.

As for Wilt's decline in scoring throughout the 1968-1969 season.

Was it because he couldn't score...or was it because he didn't get the ball to shoot? Just earlier in the same season, he hung a 35 point game on Russell.

And of course, historically, he had multiple post-season series against Russell of 30+ ppg (and multiple post-season games of 40+, including must-win games of 46 and even 50 against Russell.

And yet...he only averaged eight FGAs per game in that series (and hit 50% of them.) In any case Wilt wasn't brick-laying in the series. He wasn't pulling an '04 Kobe, or an '07 Lebron...neither of whom could hit the broadside of a barn in those series...albeit they still fired away.

Interesting too, that in the 4th quarter of game seven, which is on YouTube BTW, at about the 10-11 minute mark, Russell picked up his 5th personal foul. The Lakers immediately went into Wilt, who went right away the "matador" defence of Russell for an easy layin

(BTW, I always found it laughable that Wilt would get ripped for "not playing defence with 5 fouls...which he clearly did even in this game...but Russell "played smart" when he was in foul trouble.) Why was that one sequence interesting, you ask? Because it was basically the last time Wilt would touch the ball anywhere near the basket. Instead of milking a sure thing...VBK let West, and the brick-laying Baylor take all the shots down the stretch.
coastalmarker99
Starter

Post#37 » by coastalmarker99 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:07 pm

There is no doubt that Wilt was incredibly proud of his stats as many all-time great players are.

Russell for instance would get furious when the Celtics stat keepers wouldn't inflate his rebounding numbers.

Jordan quickly retired in his stint in the '00s not before jacking countless FGA's when he realized that he was about to drop below Wilt in career PPG.

Oh, and had Wilt been concerned about his PPG he would have scored far more in his career.

Also on another note while Russell was great at blocking shots Wilt said in front of Russell and Wilt naysayers that when he played Russell, he blocked 3 shots to every one of Russell's and you could tell they weren't even thinking of contradicting Wilt.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#38 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:12 pm

I think this board has always underrated Wilt.

He was the most dominant thing in the history of the league. There was no true peer to what he was. He stood alone. Russel was the yin to his yang, not a guy you should directly compare. After you get past the 5+ MVPs (Michael, LeBron, Kareem), the very next name on my list is Wilt. Shaq wanted to be Wilt, but couldn't stay healthy or focused enough. Duncan and Hakeem are relative mediocrities, just guys with peers and putting up recognizable numbers in normal circumstances.
countryboy667
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#39 » by countryboy667 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:21 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:I think this board has always underrated Wilt.

He was the most dominant thing in the history of the league. There was no true peer to what he was. He stood alone. Russel was the yin to his yang, not a guy you should directly compare. After you get past the 5+ MVPs (Michael, LeBron, Kareem), the very next name on my list is Wilt. Shaq wanted to be Wilt, but couldn't stay healthy or focused enough. Duncan and Hakeem are relative mediocrities, just guys with peers and putting up recognizable numbers in normal circumstances.

Disagree about Duncan, but GLAD SOMEONE ELSE said it about OVERRATED Hakeem!
penbeast0
And1: 8,669

Post#40 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:33 am

coastalmarker99 wrote:There is no doubt that Wilt was incredibly proud of his stats as many all-time great players are.

Russell for instance would get furious when the Celtics stat keepers wouldn't inflate his rebounding numbers.

Jordan quickly retired in his stint in the '00s not before jacking countless FGA's when he realized that he was about to drop below Wilt in career PPG.

Oh, and had Wilt been concerned about his PPG he would have scored far more in his career.

Also on another note while Russell was great at blocking shots Wilt said in front of Russell and Wilt naysayers that when he played Russell, he blocked 3 shots to every one of Russell's and you could tell they weren't even thinking of contradicting Wilt.

(1) Any evidence for Boston inflating Russell's numbers other than Wilt thinking it must be true?
I remember reading this a few times in a Stockton v. thread and when someone ran the numbers, it turned out that Utah was NOT one of the teams that greatly inflated home assists (but the Lakers during the Magic era were -- though Magic was great enough it didn't matter).

(2) Wilt probably blocked more shots than Russell though no question but they were both monsters in that area but there was a controversy about effectiveness. The story was Wilt liked to try to intimidate with his blocks, slamming them out of play while Russell would soft block and try to steer them to teammates making them much more effective.

(3) I don't think Jordan was primarily motivated by the numbers, his ego was just so large he couldn't conceive of anyone else taking a "better" shot than a Jordan shot and his hand picked coach in Washington wasn't a Phil Jackson who could talk him into a more team focused approach. Collins was also Jordan's coach when Jordan was taking all the shots in Chicago.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Player Comparisons