Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,015

Re: 1997 Stockton vs 2021 CP3 

Post#21 » by Owly » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:58 am

Rob Diaz wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
Rob Diaz wrote:
How is this not a legitimate argument? Do you want me to break down the %s?

The biggest casualty of the increase of the global talent pool has been the white American player. It should be considered when discussing players of the past, the same way we discuss MLB players prior to integration.

What...? Not a single thing in this sentence makes sense. I'm not even talking about the ethics, but literally it does not compute. I don't know if this is a logic thing or a vocab thing or what.

It’s not that complicated. As organizations began searching outside of America for talent, the white American player evidently couldn’t keep up with the competition that was brought in.

We can pretend like this is some type of controversial statement, but it isn’t. The numbers speak for themselves.

Okay so just on the logic of it ...

Do you agree with the box metrics and (late career, all that's available) impact numbers (and defensive contemporary reporting) that John Stockton was very effective in his era?

If no ... there's nothing further to discuss (no point debating from different starting premises).
If yes ...what's the issue? His genetics or skin tone don't change the player he is then to now (assuming we are talking time machining him across). Is the argument (based on a time travel or "absolute standard" interpretation of the question) simply that the league was weaker for talent pool reasons back then? That certainly could be true (and the least odd possible line of reasoning, and reading post 10 closely I think the most likely) but then an odd manner to make that point - in a Stockton vs Paul thread with the line "pretending that white American players would still be as effective in the same capacity as they were back then" with the apparent implication that it is only the "white American" player that benefited from a lower standard. Or is your contention that the rules have changed in a way that specifically disadvantages?
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,021

Post#22 » by JN61 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:18 pm

Stockton. It's far easier these days.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,075

Post#23 » by magicman1978 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:42 pm

Rob Diaz wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
Rob Diaz wrote:
How is this not a legitimate argument? Do you want me to break down the %s?

The biggest casualty of the increase of the global talent pool has been the white American player. It should be considered when discussing players of the past, the same way we discuss MLB players prior to integration.

What...? Not a single thing in this sentence makes sense. I'm not even talking about the ethics, but literally it does not compute. I don't know if this is a logic thing or a vocab thing or what.

It’s not that complicated. As organizations began searching outside of America for talent, the white American player evidently couldn’t keep up with the competition that was brought in.

We can pretend like this is some type of controversial statement, but it isn’t. The numbers speak for themselves.

Your comment isn't logical because race shouldn't be relevant even using your already poor logic. It's poor logic because If the comparison where 97 KJ vs 21 CP3 you wouldn't bring up the race issue - you would have only mentioned era. Then if the comparison were 97 KJ vs 97 Stockton, if you brought up race there - it would have been illogical as well because they played in the same era.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#24 » by DirtyDez » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:20 am

JN61 wrote:Stockton. It's far easier these days.

The rules yeah talent no.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,021

Post#25 » by JN61 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:25 am

DirtyDez wrote:
JN61 wrote:Stockton. It's far easier these days.

The rules yeah talent no.

Rules, volume, style, pace. All favour point guards what it was.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,266

Post#26 » by trex_8063 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:03 am

colts18 wrote:Stockton. Better in the RS, PS, and finals. He was making clutch plays all postseason. He had his own "Jrue Holiday steal on Devin Booker" moment when he robbed MJ at a critical moment during the finals.

I forgot about that segment/quarter of the game. Damn that was an impressive sequence!

That touchdown pass is seriously one of the greatest passes in NBA history, imo. First seeing the play so quickly, then slinging a one-armed toss, full-court and semi off-balance, after having just secured a rebound.......and if the pass is a foot shorter MJ is able to deflect it; and if it's any longer it leads Malone out-of-bounds [or at least too far under the basket to get a clean look].

But it was right on the money. Just a brilliant play.

To answer OP, idk. I kinda want to say Stockton, though he's one of my all-time fav players too, so I hope I'm not letting that colour my opinion. It's close [anyone who says otherwise is selling something, imo].

And it goes to show how awesome both these players were/are. For years it's been said that CP3 couldn't be the best player on a champion [or even a contender]. Here he was the best player [a 1a at worst] on a contender [though not a champion]......at age 35-36!

And by framing it as a close comparison to non-peak [though still prime] Stockton, it implies how fantastic a player he was.

But I think I would go '97 Stockton, even though I don't think he's quite as capable [or at least WILLING] to take over an offense as needed in the way that even old-man Paul potentially can. But given Stockton's all-around impact, the fact that he had a really nice playoff run in this particular year, AND that he is utter Mr. Reliability in terms of durability......I think I'll give him the tiny edge.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
J-Wolves
Bench Warmer
And1: 887

Post#27 » by J-Wolves » Tue Aug 3, 2021 3:26 pm

1997 Game 6 Western Conference Finals - Stockton & Malone VS Drexler/Barkley/Olajuwon

July 4 2016, Kevin Durant declared his dependence day, dependent on the guys he couldn't beat!

Return to Player Comparisons