Another project idea; the greatest primes among the top 10 ever

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Another project idea; the greatest primes among the top 10 ever 

Post#1 » by Odinn21 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:08 pm

I've been finding myself referring to "the top 10/12 seasons between XXX and XXX" quite often recently when I talk about primes.

I think it'd be good to do a project about it, especially since we have peaks project and top 100 project with longevity being under consideration and nothing in between for prime. Having a complete list between each possibilities of 2 would give us a better sense about what we're ranking so highly.

I have the top 10 ever in mind because that's already 45 h2h comparisons and anything a lot further would make it unfeasible (top 20 would need 190 h2h comparisons and many of them would be just pointless).
Also the top 10 has been pretty steady looking at the last 3 top 100 projects (2014, 2017, 2020) in here. So, our list will have;

Code: Select all

LeBron James
Michael Jordan
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Bill Russell
Tim Duncan
Wilt Chamberlain
Magic Johnson
Shaquille O'Neal
Hakeem Olajuwon
Larry Bird

to compare in h2hs.

Personally, I'd like to do top 12 seasons over top 10 seasons for 2 things; the first is to eliminate impact of psychological effect of the decimal system & the second is to see how they'd compare against each other in a mid-low prime season by granting both sides 1 more shot.

If there's enough interest in doing such project, I intend to start the project in the next 10 days. Cheers.

The comparison order we'll be following;
Spoiler:
1. Bill Russell vs. Magic Johnson
2. Hakeem Olajuwon vs. Larry Bird
3. Michael Jordan vs. Wilt Chamberlain
4. LeBron James vs. Tim Duncan
5. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar vs. Shaquille O'Neal

6. LeBron James vs. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
7. Michael Jordan vs. Hakeem Olajuwon
8. Shaquille O'Neal vs. Larry Bird
9. Tim Duncan vs. Magic Johnson
10. Bill Russell vs. Wilt Chamberlain

11. Michael Jordan vs. Larry Bird
12. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar vs. Hakeem Olajuwon
13. LeBron James vs. Bill Russell
14. Tim Duncan vs. Wilt Chamberlain
15. Magic Johnson vs. Shaquille O'Neal

16. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar vs. Bill Russell
17. Shaquille O'Neal vs. Hakeem Olajuwon
18. Magic Johnson vs. Larry Bird
19. LeBron James vs. Wilt Chamberlain
20. Michael Jordan vs. Tim Duncan

21. LeBron James vs. Michael Jordan
22. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar vs. Wilt Chamberlain
23. Tim Duncan vs. Larry Bird
24. Bill Russell vs. Shaquille O'Neal
25. Magic Johnson vs. Hakeem Olajuwon

26. LeBron James vs. Larry Bird
27. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar vs. Magic Johnson
28. Michael Jordan vs. Shaquille O'Neal
29. Bill Russell vs. Tim Duncan
30. Wilt Chamberlain vs. Hakeem Olajuwon

31. Wilt Chamberlain vs. Shaquille O'Neal
32. LeBron James vs. Hakeem Olajuwon
33. Bill Russell vs. Larry Bird
34. Michael Jordan vs. Magic Johnson
35. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar vs. Tim Duncan

36. Wilt Chamberlain vs. Larry Bird
37. Tim Duncan vs. Shaquille O'Neal
38. Bill Russell vs. Hakeem Olajuwon
39. LeBron James vs. Magic Johnson
40. Michael Jordan vs. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

41. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar vs. Larry Bird
42. LeBron James vs. Shaquille O'Neal
43. Wilt Chamberlain vs. Magic Johnson
44. Tim Duncan vs. Hakeem Olajuwon
45. Michael Jordan vs. Bill Russell

---

Spoiler:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:.

Ambrose wrote:.

Baski wrote:.

bidofo wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

bondom34 wrote:.

Cavsfansince84 wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

cecilthesheep wrote:.

DCasey91 wrote:.

DJoker wrote:.

Doctor MJ wrote:.

DQuinn1575 wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

drza wrote:.

Dutchball97 wrote:.

Dupp wrote:.

E-Balla wrote:.

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:.

eminence wrote:.

euroleague wrote:.

Franco wrote:.

Goudelock wrote:.

Gregoire wrote:.

Hal14 wrote:.

HeartBreakKid wrote:.

Heej wrote:.

homecourtloss wrote:.

Hornet Mania wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

Joao Saraiva wrote:.

Joe Malburg wrote:.

Joey Wheeler wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

LukaTheGOAT wrote:.

Magic Is Magic wrote:.

Matzer wrote:.

NO-KG-AI wrote:.

Owly wrote:.

O_6 wrote:.

PaulieWal wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

PistolPeteJR wrote:.

RonSwanson wrote:.

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:.

sansterre wrote:.

Senior wrote:.

SeniorWalker wrote:.

SHAQ32 wrote:.

Texas Chuck wrote:.

Tim Lehrbach wrote:.

trex_0863 wrote:.

TrueLAfan wrote:.

Whopper_Sr wrote:.

ZeppelinPage wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

Edit
I guess I should add a sample thread to make the concept clear; a sample of top 10 seasons between Olajuwon and Duncan
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,748

Re: Another project idea; the greatest primes among the top 10 ever 

Post#2 » by eminence » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:16 pm

Does EvanZ still have the website he'd set up for doing this sort of thing? I want to say he used it for comparing draftees, but similar concept - comparing a bunch of different things head to head and coming up with an order based off it.

I'm on mobile, but you could shoot him a PM or quote or twitter or whatever.

Could still have discussion threads as well obviously.
I bought a boat.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#3 » by homecourtloss » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:19 pm

Love the idea, Odinn21. The collection of information in one place in the latest top 100 and latest greatest peaks thread has been invaluable when looking to compare certain things for me. The greatest 12 year primes between the top 10 or so should yield some very interesting discussions ESPECIALLY I think around these fringe prime years.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Post#4 » by Dutchball97 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:20 pm

Fun idea but 12 seasons is pretty much the entire career of some of these guys. I think we'd see Bird, Magic and Shaq get a bit of a boost but other than that it is too similar to career rankings imo. Why not something like 5 or 7 years to get a good middle ground between peak and career?
Odinn21
Analyst

Post#5 » by Odinn21 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:26 pm

eminence wrote:Does EvanZ still have the website he'd set up for doing this sort of thing? I want to say he used it for comparing draftees, but similar concept - comparing a bunch of different things head to head and coming up with an order based off it.

I'm on mobile, but you could shoot him a PM or quote or twitter or whatever.

Could still have discussion threads as well obviously.

This might be the first time I'm hearing about this because if I did before, I know I'd spend so much time on it. :D

---

Dutchball97 wrote:Fun idea but 12 seasons is pretty much the entire career of some of these guys. I think we'd see Bird, Magic and Shaq get a bit of a boost but other than that it is too similar to career rankings imo. Why not something like 5 or 7 years to get a good middle ground between peak and career?

It's top 12 seasons between 2 players. Not a comparison of top 12 seasons of Bird and top 12 seasons of Olajuwon type comparison directly.
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Post#6 » by Dutchball97 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:29 pm

Odinn21 wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:Fun idea but 12 seasons is pretty much the entire career of some of these guys. I think we'd see Bird, Magic and Shaq get a bit of a boost but other than that it is too similar to career rankings imo. Why not something like 5 or 7 years to get a good middle ground between peak and career?

It's top 12 seasons between 2 players. Not a comparison of top 12 seasons of Bird and top 12 seasons of Olajuwon type comparison directly.

Ah my bad. In that case 12 seasons is perfect. Count me in.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#7 » by 70sFan » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:33 pm

I'd like to see how it'll work out. Count me in, though I probably won't have a lot of time in next weeks.
Odinn21
Analyst

Post#8 » by Odinn21 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:38 pm

homecourtloss wrote:Love the idea, Odinn21. The collection of information in one place in the latest top 100 and latest greatest peaks thread has been invaluable when looking to compare certain things for me. The greatest 12 year primes between the top 10 or so should yield some very interesting discussions ESPECIALLY I think around these fringe prime years.

We're so used to comparing peaks and careers, I think impact of those fringe prime seasons are overlooked pretty much. And it's not even 6 best seasons vs. 6 best seasons, it's direct top 12 seasons. If a player's fringe prime seasons doesn't make the cut, it'll be more telling and more definitive for us. (Tbh, there are certain comparisons I have in mind for this. :D )
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#9 » by falcolombardi » Fri Sep 3, 2021 2:49 pm

so would it all be head to head comparisions?

if i am understanding that right wouldnt it be a bit too long, basically 45 different comparisions?
Odinn21
Analyst

Post#10 » by Odinn21 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:21 pm

falcolombardi wrote:so would it all be head to head comparisions?

if i am understanding that right wouldnt it be a bit too long, basically 45 different comparisions?

We don't do easy and short projects in here. :lol:
Yes, it'll be all h2h comparisons.
45 h2h would take 3 months to complete and that's not something weird in here. My latest, rather light, project took 2 months.

Since this is a message board, it's not just about rankings and tracking them, we discuss about the topic or the comparison at hand. Generating discussion and seeing if personal rankings actually holding up against fair criticism is actually more important than the rankings for many of us.
From individualistic pov, I want to do this project to see if my rankings are actually consistent and fair in an educated environment, not to see if I have the right or the best answers.
So, since I already want to engage about it, I don't think of the duration as too long.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,757

Post#11 » by LukaTheGOAT » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:34 pm

I just wanted to say this is an excellent idea, thank you for presenting it.

Will regards to prime, does it have to be the top 12 years in a row, ir just the general top 12 years a player ever had?It likely won't matter, I just wanted clarity regarding that.
sansterre
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,814

Post#12 » by sansterre » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:45 pm

I absolutely have no time for any more projects.

So count me in :)

It won't be to the level of detail I'd like, but I'll certainly do my part.
"If you wish to see the truth, hold no opinions."

"Trust one who seeks the truth. Doubt one who claims to have found the truth."
Odinn21
Analyst

Post#13 » by Odinn21 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 4:30 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:I just wanted to say this is an excellent idea, thank you for presenting it.

Will regards to prime, does it have to be the top 12 years in a row, ir just the general top 12 years a player ever had?It likely won't matter, I just wanted clarity regarding that.

No, it doesn't have to be 12 seasons in a row. It's also not a comparison between top 12 seasons of XXX and top 12 seasons of YYY.

It's ranking top 12 seasons between 2 players, like this;
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1858941
Max123
Junior
And1: 141

Post#14 » by Max123 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 4:39 pm

I like the idea. Don’t you think that Garnett should be included though considering how high many people here are on him?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#15 » by 70sFan » Fri Sep 3, 2021 4:41 pm

Odinn21 wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:I just wanted to say this is an excellent idea, thank you for presenting it.

No, it doesn't have to be 12 seasons in a row. It's also not a comparison between top 12 seasons of XXX and top 12 seasons of YYY.

It's ranking top 12 seasons between 2 players, like this;
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1858941

What will be the order?
Odinn21
Analyst

Post#16 » by Odinn21 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 4:53 pm

70sFan wrote:What will be the order?

I'll enter all 45 h2h possibilities on random.org/lists, and it'll give us our order.
Doing it from bottom to top (with the rankings in the top 100 projects) or vice versa would feel too repetitive, so, randomising is a good solution imo.

---

Max123 wrote:I like the idea. Don’t you think that Garnett should be included though considering how high many people here are on him?

I know he's quite popular and I don't like snubbing players like KG, Kobe, Oscar and the Logo. Oscar is the guy I'm sad about leaving out the most. But think of it this way;
10 options have 45 possibilities.
11 have 55.
12 have 66.
13 have 78.
14 have 91.
15 have 105.

And since every thread will be open for 2 days, going from 10 to 11 is a 20 days jump over already 90 days project and considering how the votes worked out in the top 100 projects, it's not like those snubbed players are definitely in the same tier as the top 10. So, I think taking the top 10 is the right decision.
Max123
Junior

Post#17 » by Max123 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 5:00 pm

Odinn21 wrote:
70sFan wrote:What will be the order?

I'll enter all 45 h2h possibilities on random.org/lists, and it'll give us our order.
Doing it from bottom to top (with the rankings in the top 100 projects) or vice versa would feel too repetitive, so, randomising is a good solution imo.

---

Max123 wrote:I like the idea. Don’t you think that Garnett should be included though considering how high many people here are on him?

I know he's quite popular and I don't like snubbing players like KG, Kobe, Oscar and the Logo. Oscar is the guy I'm sad about leaving out the most. But think of it this way;
10 options have 45 possibilities.
11 have 55.
12 have 66.
13 have 78.
14 have 91.
15 have 105.

And since every thread will be open for 2 days, going from 10 to 11 is a 22 days jump over already 90 days project and considering how the votes worked out in the top 100 projects, it's not like those snubbed players are definitely in the same tier as the top 10. So, I think taking the top 10 is the right decision.

I understand totally, it just seems that for me, and maybe for most posters on the PC board, Garnett was the most notable cut here.

DQuinn1575
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#18 » by DQuinn1575 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 5:02 pm

Garnett was 11th in both the last career and peaks project, with the other 10 all being ahead of him in both. So while he is 1st runner-up, realize that adding 1 guy adds 10 more comparisons.

so yes, I will be up for this, I really havent done anything to analyze seasons like this, so for me it will be interesting, and hopefully i learn a little/lot.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#19 » by Jaivl » Fri Sep 3, 2021 7:00 pm

Well KG got more votes than Bird for #10 on the GOAT list, and I'm extremely high on him, but no, you have to draw the line somewhere. And if we go with top 10 we go with top 10, not "top 10 plus the other basically-tied-for-number-10 guy, plus this guy that has a similar level prime, plus...".
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Max123
Junior

Post#20 » by Max123 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 7:05 pm

Jaivl wrote:

Well KG got more votes than Bird for #10 on the GOAT list, and I'm extremely high on him, but no, you have to draw the line somewhere. And if we go with top 10 we go with top 10, not "top 10 plus the other basically-tied-for-number-10 guy, plus this guy that has a similar level prime, plus...".

Agree but just questioning whether or not the line should be drawn decisively at 10 (e.g. why not 7, 8, 9, 11, 12?) and if KG should be the player left out of this group. I don’t personally necessarily know where to stand on this matter.

Return to Player Comparisons