Who was the best player in 2007

Moderators: Clyde Frazier, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Quotatious, Doctor MJ, penbeast0

Who was the best player in the 2006-07 Season

Dirk
6
12%
Nash
5
10%
Kobe
10
20%
Duncan
22
44%
LeBron
6
12%
McGrady
1
2%
 
Total votes: 50

Blazers-1977
Veteran
Posts: 2,509
And1: 584
Joined: Aug 19, 2015
   

Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#1 » by Blazers-1977 » Thu Sep 9, 2021 10:49 pm

While its clearly Dirk for only regular season, it gets much harder once you include the playoffs
PistolPeteJR
Head Coach
Posts: 7,427
And1: 6,563
Joined: Jun 14, 2017
 

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#2 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Sep 9, 2021 11:12 pm

I’m approaching this via process of elimination:

1) I have to exclude these guys for very little playoff success in 2007.

Dirk
Kobe
McGrady

2) The following had very strong performances in both the RS and PS but I consider them a tier below those under #3 primarily because of the lack of defensive prowess compared to the finalists below:

Nash

3) This leaves LeBron and Duncan.

I’m inclined to go Duncan here because of his veteran leadership that trumps LeBron’s leadership in 2007, as well as Duncan’s game that was more polished and savvy. LeBron was still young here and learning how to play the game, getting a needed wakeup call in the Finals that he’s got a lot of work to do as it pertained to developing his scoring game more (ie. shooting), which he definitely did do.

tl;dr: Duncan.
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 69,016
And1: 65,160
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: Purgatory
   

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Sep 9, 2021 11:18 pm

Probably Timmy. Nash and Dirk his closest challengers. TMac and Kobe do not belong on a list of finalists though.
bondom34 wrote:This is stupid and you know this is stupid.
ceiling raiser
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,796
And1: 3,211
Joined: Jan 27, 2013

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#4 » by ceiling raiser » Thu Sep 9, 2021 11:21 pm

Nash
Dirk
Duncan
LeBron
Garnett

imo
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
Matt15
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,786
And1: 188
Joined: Aug 27, 2008

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#5 » by Matt15 » Thu Sep 9, 2021 11:24 pm

Kobe or Duncan
Asianiac_24
Head Coach
Posts: 6,862
And1: 2,209
Joined: Jul 28, 2008
Contact:
   

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#6 » by Asianiac_24 » Thu Sep 9, 2021 11:27 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Probably Timmy. Nash and Dirk his closest challengers. TMac and Kobe do not belong on a list of finalists though.


I’d like to hear the reason why Kobe isn’t on the list. He was playing with Smush Parker. Give Kobe the equivalent of Tony Parker and Manu and he sleep walks to a championship.

Keep in mind that Kobe started the season injured. Take out his first 15 games, where most superstars would of just sat out, his stats would be insane.

Dirk had a good RS, but you can’t be a finalist when you lose to an 8th seed as #1 seed and MVP.
Statlanta
General Manager
Posts: 7,607
And1: 5,370
Joined: Mar 06, 2016

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#7 » by Statlanta » Thu Sep 9, 2021 11:45 pm

Tim Duncan
Pachinko_ wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Serious question, what's the purpose of this thread?

Exactly the same as every other thread: talk hoops instead of working.
User avatar
Narigo
Starter
Posts: 2,249
And1: 601
Joined: Sep 20, 2010
     

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#8 » by Narigo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:35 am

1.Duncan
2.Kobe
3.Nowitzki
4.Nash
5.LeBron
Narigo's Fantasy Team

PG: Damian Lillard
SG: Sidney Moncrief
SF:
PF: James Worthy
C: Tim Duncan

BE: Robert Horry
BE:
BE:
Lost92Bricks
Starter
Posts: 2,235
And1: 2,140
Joined: Jul 16, 2013

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#9 » by Lost92Bricks » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:03 am

Dwyane Wade was the actual best player.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
Posts: 19,714
And1: 15,809
Joined: Mar 08, 2012
     

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#10 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:38 am

Lost92Bricks wrote:Dwyane Wade was the actual best player.


This is pretty much the answer, not a tiny sample size either.

People kind of pretended he didn't exist though, I always say you would think Wade played 4 games not 55 in 07 and 08 the way he's not talked about.
LAL1947
Pro Prospect
Posts: 815
And1: 370
Joined: Dec 28, 2018

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#11 » by LAL1947 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:50 am

Asianiac_24 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Probably Timmy. Nash and Dirk his closest challengers. TMac and Kobe do not belong on a list of finalists though.


I’d like to hear the reason why Kobe isn’t on the list. He was playing with Smush Parker. Give Kobe the equivalent of Tony Parker and Manu and he sleep walks to a championship.

Keep in mind that Kobe started the season injured. Take out his first 15 games, where most superstars would of just sat out, his stats would be insane.

Dirk had a good RS, but you can’t be a finalist when you lose to an 8th seed as #1 seed and MVP.

I'm curious to know the reason too. Kobe Bryant in 2006-07:

- All-NBA First Team
- All-NBA Defensive First Team
- All-Star MVP
- Scoring champion (31.6 PPG)

And he doesn't deserve even a consideration as a finalist?
User avatar
rate_
Starter
Posts: 2,151
And1: 5,933
Joined: Apr 10, 2017

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#12 » by rate_ » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:52 am

Wade until the injury. In fact, he was probably better in 07 than 06.
User avatar
Point-Forward
Sophomore
Posts: 131
And1: 138
Joined: Jul 22, 2015
Location: Spain
     

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#13 » by Point-Forward » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:09 am

Much like Simmons stated in his book, I always thought '07 was Nash's best version, and I actually think he was the most impactful player in the league when taking everything into account. More so than 2005 and 2006.

For me it would be between him and Duncan.
Stalwart
Junior
Posts: 348
And1: 155
Joined: Jun 06, 2021

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#14 » by Stalwart » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:26 am

Asianiac_24 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Probably Timmy. Nash and Dirk his closest challengers. TMac and Kobe do not belong on a list of finalists though.


I’d like to hear the reason why Kobe isn’t on the list. He was playing with Smush Parker. Give Kobe the equivalent of Tony Parker and Manu and he sleep walks to a championship.

Keep in mind that Kobe started the season injured. Take out his first 15 games, where most superstars would of just sat out, his stats would be insane.

Dirk had a good RS, but you can’t be a finalist when you lose to an 8th seed as #1 seed and MVP.


They hate Kobe. Its really that simple. You can tell by how they always go out of their to downgrade him.
LAL1947
Pro Prospect
Posts: 815
And1: 370
Joined: Dec 28, 2018

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#15 » by LAL1947 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:29 am

My best 3 in that year would be Nash, Kobe, Dirk.

I'd remove Tim Duncan from the conversation completely because I think the Spurs cheated Steve Nash, Amare Stoudamire and the Suns out of a title. That Robert Horry dirty play on Nash seemed to me at the time, a dirty play by design from the Spurs team to take out the best player on a team that had the Spurs on the ropes, and they knew they were on the ropes too. If Tim Duncan was actually the best player in the league, and since he also had such a FINE supporting cast (Tony Parker, Manu Ginobli, Michael Finley, etc), then the Spurs would not have been on the ropes or needing to do such a thing to win. That play got Amare + Diaw suspended for Game 5, which the Suns would've won and then gone on to eliminate the Spurs. The only reason Duncan is even in the conversation for 2006-07 is because the Spurs ended up winning the title... not for anything else... a title they should not have won. Was Duncan capable of putting up some great performances? Yes, and he did too. Was he the best player in the league? Just simply no. He didn't even win Finals MVP. No title, no consideration. Just adding everything up and taking things to their logical conclusion.

As has been pointed out, the Mavs were the #1 seed yet lost to the #8 seed in the 1st round... but I'd still keep Dirk in the conversation because of his RS play on offense. Have to point out though, if this had happened to Kobe... I shudder to think of what some would be doing to him instead, lol.

Kobe was All-NBA First Team, All-NBA Defensive First Team, Scoring Champion (31 PPG). Only problem is that Kobe did the same in the previous year too, while scoring even more points (35 PPG).

As for Nash... I'm giving him his due because he should have won an NBA title that year but was cheated out it. The Spurs stomped the Jazz 4-1, the Cavaliers 4-0, and I don't see any reason why the Suns wouldn't have done the same. Nash and Stat were a superb duo, very ably backed up Shawn Marion, Barbosa, Raja Bell and the rest.

70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 18,557
And1: 13,941
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#16 » by 70sFan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:14 am

Duncan, quite clearly for me.
LAL1947
Pro Prospect
Posts: 815
And1: 370
Joined: Dec 28, 2018

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#17 » by LAL1947 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:20 am

70sFan wrote:Duncan, quite clearly for me.

Question: Was Duncan "clearly" the best player in the league during the rest of the season, until the Spurs cheated the Suns and then went on to win a title they should not have won? If you say yes, then I just won't be able to take you seriously any longer... as you have said to me on a couple of occasions. ;)

2006-07 MVP Voting, points won out of 1,290:

1) Dirk - 1,138
2) Nash - 1,013
3) Kobe - 521
4) Duncan - 286
5) Lebron - 183
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 18,557
And1: 13,941
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#18 » by 70sFan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:04 am

LAL1947 wrote:
70sFan wrote:Duncan, quite clearly for me.

Question: Was Duncan "clearly" the best player in the league during the rest of the season, until the Spurs cheated the Suns and then went on to win a title they should not have won? If you say yes, then I just won't be able to take you seriously any longer...

Yes

as you have said to me on a couple of occasions. ;)

I don't remember saying that even once, I only laughed at your opinion that Kobe got robbed of the MVP in 2003.
No-more-rings
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,135
And1: 2,692
Joined: Oct 04, 2018

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#19 » by No-more-rings » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:34 pm

Voted Duncan. Used to think Kobe, but Kobe doesn't really look that great by impact stuff that year, Duncan led the league in RAPM plus won the title it's hard to deny him it.
No-more-rings
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,135
And1: 2,692
Joined: Oct 04, 2018

Re: Who was the best player in 2007 

Post#20 » by No-more-rings » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:40 pm

LAL1947 wrote:
70sFan wrote:Duncan, quite clearly for me.

Question: Was Duncan "clearly" the best player in the league during the rest of the season, until the Spurs cheated the Suns and then went on to win a title they should not have won? If you say yes, then I just won't be able to take you seriously any longer... as you have said to me on a couple of occasions. ;)

2006-07 MVP Voting, points won out of 1,290:

1) Dirk - 1,138
2) Nash - 1,013
3) Kobe - 521
4) Duncan - 286
5) Lebron - 183

Duncan averaged 27/14 on 60 ts% against the Suns, if they would've lost not sure how It would've been his fault.

Maybe you haven't realized but most don't really care about mvp voting when assessing someone's impact. Even if Duncan was only the 3rd/4th best player in the regular season, he was clearly the best in the postseason. Apparently that means nothing though.

Return to Player Comparisons