Giannis Antetokounmpo 21-22 Thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

O_6
Rookie
And1: 1,507

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo 21-22 Thread 

Post#41 » by O_6 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:21 am

Giannis, Jokic, Embiid, Durant, LeBron.

We are truly blessed to be watching all of these guys play at an A+ level this past month+. No offense to Curry who belongs there when right, he’s just been cold in that span.

I’ve gone back and forth on all of it. As of now, I have like 5 different definitions of “best” player now. I mentioned KD as “best” earlier this year but I feel like that was more of a “most unstoppable/least affected by defensive moves” post. I’d still give him that title but now that I think about it, that doesn’t necessarily make him the best.

I could write an essay about all of those players. LeBron is unfathomably great for his age/experience now. Jokic is a transcendent offensive hub as a big. Embiid’s A++ game is arguably the scariest in the league due to his insane size/skill combo. Curry is Curry, I’m guessing he’ll have a legendary stretch before this season ends.

But even though he’s more limited on offense than the rest of them, Giannis seems to have the most “angles” to the best player argument as of today.

Doesn’t mean he’s the best. I’ve learned from my KD claim earlier this year to not make a hard statement like that with so many great candidates. But every single day, I continue to gain more and more respect/love for the historically great “still young” player that Giannis is.

Back-to-Backing would shoot his reputation up like it did for Hakeem. But that happened to the tail end of Hakeem’s prime, doing this now would put Giannis in position for special things.
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,096

Post#42 » by TroubleS0me » Wed Feb 9, 2022 2:41 pm

Read on Twitter
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,314

Post#43 » by The High Cyde » Wed Feb 9, 2022 6:34 pm

He mauled the Lakers and even bullied AD and LeBron, what a spectacular player. Only getting better too.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#44 » by parsnips33 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 6:58 pm

What team is best set up to guard this guy? I feel good not great about Draymond+Looney in terms of positioning, but we would be giving up a lot in terms of size.

Would love to see the Heat matchup with them in the playoffs again between Bam Butler and PJ.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,986

Post#45 » by falcolombardi » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:06 am

parsnips33 wrote:What team is best set up to guard this guy? I feel good not great about Draymond+Looney in terms of positioning, but we would be giving up a lot in terms of size.

Would love to see the Heat matchup with them in the playoffs again between Bam Butler and PJ.

Utah or sixers i guess?

i also dont think ayton la a bad option even if he was wrecked last finals, i think with the added experience he could do a better job in round 2 + bridges help here
falcolombardi
General Manager

Post#46 » by falcolombardi » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:09 am

O_6 wrote:Giannis, Jokic, Embiid, Durant, LeBron.

We are truly blessed to be watching all of these guys play at an A+ level this past month+. No offense to Curry who belongs there when right, he’s just been cold in that span.

I’ve gone back and forth on all of it. As of now, I have like 5 different definitions of “best” player now. I mentioned KD as “best” earlier this year but I feel like that was more of a “most unstoppable/least affected by defensive moves” post. I’d still give him that title but now that I think about it, that doesn’t necessarily make him the best.

I could write an essay about all of those players. LeBron is unfathomably great for his age/experience now. Jokic is a transcendent offensive hub as a big. Embiid’s A++ game is arguably the scariest in the league due to his insane size/skill combo. Curry is Curry, I’m guessing he’ll have a legendary stretch before this season ends.

But even though he’s more limited on offense than the rest of them, Giannis seems to have the most “angles” to the best player argument as of today.

Doesn’t mean he’s the best. I’ve learned from my KD claim earlier this year to not make a hard statement like that with so many great candidates. But every single day, I continue to gain more and more respect/love for the historically great “still young” player that Giannis is.

Back-to-Backing would shoot his reputation up like it did for Hakeem. But that happened to the tail end of Hakeem’s prime, doing this now would put Giannis in position for special things.

is always a treat to see positive approach to player comparisions for a change

the greater nba community is too much of a "my guy beats your guy" to appreactiste most players sometimes
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#47 » by parsnips33 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:20 am

falcolombardi wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:What team is best set up to guard this guy? I feel good not great about Draymond+Looney in terms of positioning, but we would be giving up a lot in terms of size.

Utah or sixers i guess?

i also dont think ayton la a bad option even if he was wrecked last finals, i think with the added experience he could do a better job in round 2 + bridges help here

You think Utah puts Gobert on him? It's tricky because he's so valuable as their backline of defense, I'm not sure how good they'd be as a team if Rudy had to stay constantly engaged on Giannis.
falcolombardi
General Manager

Post#48 » by falcolombardi » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:33 am

parsnips33 wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:

Utah or sixers i guess?

You think Utah puts Gobert on him? It's tricky because he's so valuable as their backline of defense, I'm not sure how good they'd be as a team if Rudy had to stay constantly engaged on Giannis.

maybe for some stretches since giannis is not a player that forces interior guys out with his shooting

either way most of the work og defending giannis will be done by the rim protector even if he is not technically giannis man
feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Post#49 » by feyki » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:38 am

TroubleS0me wrote:
Read on Twitter

Probably the best game in recent years.
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#50 » by AussieBuck » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:06 am

parsnips33 wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:

Utah or sixers i guess?

Gobert vs Giannis is a horribly bad matchup for Rudy. He either sags back and get dunked on by Giannis with a run up or gets blown by if he gets close. I don't think it's happened in any serious way since Giannis' first MVP season when we had a random weird game where all of our guards were injured and it was Khris and a bunch of PFs and Cs but Utah still put Rudy on Giannis and got beaten so comprehensively badly that Utah just gave up and banished him from the game despite us pretty much entirely playing front court guys. It's like an all time crazy game nobody knows about. Rudy was DPOY that year but didn't manage half a game because he got **** up and was entirely shell shocked. Looked like he had PTSD on the bench by halftime.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Post#51 » by TroubleS0me » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:21 pm

falcolombardi wrote:

Utah or sixers i guess?

hmm...the suns do have more size this time around with Ayton, Mcgee & Bizmack.

Cavs [blewout the Bucks last month]
Raptors

The sixers are another team + plus Simmons or not Simmons
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Post#52 » by TroubleS0me » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:07 pm

TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Post#53 » by TroubleS0me » Wed Mar 9, 2022 10:23 am

Read on Twitter
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#54 » by kayess » Wed Mar 9, 2022 12:33 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
Utah or sixers i guess?

Gobert vs Giannis is a horribly bad matchup for Rudy. He either sags back and get dunked on by Giannis with a run up or gets blown by if he gets close. I don't think it's happened in any serious way since Giannis' first MVP season when we had a random weird game where all of our guards were injured and it was Khris and a bunch of PFs and Cs but Utah still put Rudy on Giannis and got beaten so comprehensively badly that Utah just gave up and banished him from the game despite us pretty much entirely playing front court guys. It's like an all time crazy game nobody knows about. Rudy was DPOY that year but didn't manage half a game because he got **** up and was entirely shell shocked. Looked like he had PTSD on the bench by halftime.

Link?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,760

Post#55 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 9, 2022 2:57 pm

kayess wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:

Link?

It's not true.

The Bucks and Jazz played twice in 2019. One was a 4 point win by Utah, the other Rudy played 38 minutes and Giannis was sub-50 TS% and the entire roster was healthy for Milwaukee.

2020, both games decided by 4 points [each team won a game].
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#56 » by AussieBuck » Wed Mar 9, 2022 8:37 pm

kayess wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:

Link?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201903020UTA.html
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#57 » by Jaivl » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:14 am

Damn, those are some on/off numbers. Still, feels like a HUGE outlier that was not really ever close to being replicated.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#58 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:30 pm

Giannis vs. Utah:

19-20: 40/13/5 on 59.6% TS
20-21: 32/11/5 on 63.1% TS

Nothing really outlier-ish about it. Rudy's probably still the best defensive player in the league, but he can't guard Giannis like, at all. When they've tried in the past (like that aforementioned game 3 years ago), it's been a bloodbath.
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#59 » by kayess » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:36 pm

LMFAO they actually lost???

I'm not disputing these stats. You just think that description would've resulted in some 15+ point destruction (which is really like 30+ when you account for how good the Jazz have been all these years)

But Giannis, faced with a theoretically inferior defender (albeit, coupled with Middleton absolutely **** the bed), "only" shot 15 for 26. I just feel misled and thought he had an all-time great GameScore destroying a premiere defender lmao
TroubleS0me
Head Coach

Post#60 » by TroubleS0me » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Player Comparisons