The LeBron James - 21-22 Off-Season Thread Part 1 (Please Lock Thread)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

capfan33
Senior
And1: 535

Re: The LeBron James - 21-22 Off-Season Thread Part 1 (Please be respectful) 

Post#2301 » by capfan33 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:14 pm

falcolombardi wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter

That too with some of the worst spacing in the league.

I am a giannis fan but he just is not on lebron level as a finisher. Nobody but shaq really is tbh

People in the future will think cause giannis was bigger he was a better or similar inside scorer but lebron touch and ability to use different angles amd absorb contact is unmatched among slashers

I think Zion is comparable even though well see if he can remain healthy.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#2302 » by falcolombardi » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:23 pm

capfan33 wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter

That too with some of the worst spacing in the league.

I am a giannis fan but he just is not on lebron level as a finisher. Nobody but shaq really is tbh

People in the future will think cause giannis was bigger he was a better or similar inside scorer but lebron touch and ability to use different angles amd absorb contact is unmatched among slashers

I think Zion is comparable even though well see if he can remain healthy.

Zion is also an absolute freak and the player most similar to lebron in how people think they are only explosive guys with a lot of body mass when their use of angles and touch in the rim would be legendary if done by a 6'3 player

If his career gets back on track i think he -may- have the most potential out of all the guys in his generation (up there with luka)
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,953

Post#2303 » by thebigbird » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:53 pm

The number of shots Jeanie sends at LeBron is crazy. He’s an absolute fool if he signs that extension. Imagine signing LeBron and proceeding to behave like she does.

Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=uOEEjmb1ZaoFvb3HMkoKEg
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,321

Post#2304 » by The High Cyde » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:48 am

It’s not an absurd statement, but keep it in house cause you have a legit GOAT contender trying to win titles for your ball club. Might give him more motivation though.
dcstanley
Sixth Man
And1: 1,288

Post#2305 » by dcstanley » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:37 am

I just remembered Luke Walton coached Lebron for an entire season :roll:
Ian Scuffling
Junior
And1: 364

Post#2306 » by Ian Scuffling » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:54 pm

The High Cyde wrote:It’s not an absurd statement, but keep it in house cause you have a legit GOAT contender trying to win titles for your ball club. Might give him more motivation though.

Beat me to it. Not a controversial statement at all and has validity. However, probably not the best plan of action seeing as you are trying to resign the one she claimed was NOT the best. Jeannie, honestly, seems a little touched.
IG2
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,772

Post#2307 » by IG2 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:55 pm

falcolombardi wrote:

LeBron maybe more skilled at finishing inside, but Giannis doesn't really need to be given that he's pretty much 7 feet tall and has that crazy wingspan. I think he's absolutely on LeBron's level as a finisher in terms of effectiveness.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,675

Post#2308 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:13 pm

Giannis the last two seasons has an argument as the greatest finisher of all-time (83.7% and 80.8% from 0-3 feet) on significant scoring volume (about 42.5% of his attempts on 29 PPG). What 37-38 year old Lebron is doing is pretty remarkable, but calling him a similar or better finisher is some massive hyperbole.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,675

Post#2309 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:18 pm

His Age-38 season's gonna be interesting. Kareem's Age-38 campaign was pretty universally regarded as his last All-NBA/MVP caliber one (his rebounding and defense had already diminished quite a bit, but was still an incredible volume scorer and offensive anchor). Malone (Karl) and Stockton are the two other longevity standard-bearers that come to mind, and while Malone was still quite good at 38 (just one year removed from an MVP), his scoring efficiency had already dipped and he became much more reliant on his mid-range game. If Lebron can keep up the offensive production without a big dip in efficiency, he's got a good argument for the best longevity case with a couple more seasons, although I guess it depends how much you penalize him for missing so many games 3 out of the last 4 seasons (which is fair).
falcolombardi
General Manager

Post#2310 » by falcolombardi » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:23 am

https://youtu.be/Mx6osMPPMao

Was watching this game and took note of every assist or good pass to the inside since a common criticism is that lebron only ever passes to the corner to see how many good passes to the interior i could find

20:50 absolutely beatiful alley oop pass

22:50 crazy good inside pass

27:50 nice quick inside pass for free throws

58:40 this is the kind of pass bill simmons thinks larry bird did every play, is that good

1:04:50 another crazy pass, shame the bounce was a bit off

1:08:20 low key brillian read, shame nance didnt go for the dunk

1:08:55 nice little entry pass that forced boston to foul

1:27:40 cool feed inside after the drive

Some very, very good interior passes out there. I think at times people underate lebron passing as only being skip passes to shooters but his touch in alley oops and dimes to the paint in fastbreaks are underated

Lebron at his peak as a passer plays in a spacing heavy era where he is the one occupying the paint or receiving dimes inside in cuts. Is kind of hard to Make great inside passes in that context which i think basketball posters and analysts (ben taylor love for inside assists comes to mind) dont consider when they ding lebron for not looking for the interior more in his assists

Older era great passers like magic and bird (-not- trying to say they were not better passers thsn bron, just an example) probably would have less assists in the paint if their eras had modern spacing for example
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,240

Post#2311 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:57 pm

falcolombardi wrote:https://youtu.be/Mx6osMPPMao

Was watching this game and took note of every assist or good pass to the inside since a common criticism is that lebron only ever passes to the corner to see how many good passes to the interior i could find

20:50 absolutely beatiful alley oop pass

22:50 crazy good inside pass

27:50 nice quick inside pass for free throws

58:40 this is the kind of pass bill simmons thinks larry bird did every play, is that good

1:04:50 another crazy pass, shame the bounce was a bit off

1:08:20 low key brillian read, shame nance didnt go for the dunk

1:08:55 nice little entry pass that forced boston to foul

1:27:40 cool feed inside after the drive

Some very, very good interior passes out there. I think at times people underate lebron passing as only being skip passes to shooters but his touch in alley oops and dimes to the paint in fastbreaks are underated

Lebron at his peak as a passer plays in a spacing heavy era where he is the one occupying the paint or receiving dimes inside in cuts. Is kind of hard to Make great inside passes in that context which i think basketball posters and analysts (ben taylor love for inside assists comes to mind) dont consider when they ding lebron for not looking for the interior more in his assists

Older era great passers like magic and bird (-not- trying to say they were not better passers thsn bron, just an example) probably would have less assists in the paint if their eras had modern spacing for example

Magic, sure. Bird, not sure, but I think it makes for an interesting debate.
thebigbird
Head Coach

Post#2312 » by thebigbird » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:05 pm

Ian Scuffling wrote:
The High Cyde wrote:It’s not an absurd statement, but keep it in house cause you have a legit GOAT contender trying to win titles for your ball club. Might give him more motivation though.

Beat me to it. Not a controversial statement at all and has validity. However, probably not the best plan of action seeing as you are trying to resign the one she claimed was NOT the best. Jeannie, honestly, seems a little touched.

If she thinks Jordan is the GOAT then whatever, good for her. I don’t agree with her but we’re all entitled to our own opinions.

However, voicing those opinions is another thing. There’s just no reason for her to come out and say this, and I think it’s another example of Jeanie Buss’s terrible judgment. You have a top 2 player of all time on your team. What benefit do you get from coming out and saying the other guy was better than your guy? Just makes no sense to me. Maybe LeBron doesn’t care, who knows. We’ll see if he signs that extension.
falcolombardi
General Manager

Post#2313 » by falcolombardi » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:11 pm

thebigbird wrote:
Ian Scuffling wrote:

If she thinks Jordan is the GOAT then whatever, good for her. I don’t agree with her but we’re all entitled to our own opinions.

However, voicing those opinions is another thing. There’s just no reason for her to come out and say this, and I think it’s another example of Jeanie Buss’s terrible judgment. You have a top 2 player of all time on your team. What benefit do you get from coming out and saying the other guy was better than your guy? Just makes no sense to me. Maybe LeBron doesn’t care, who knows. We’ll see if he signs that extension.

At best it makes for media gossip and social media joking about it amd making memes

At worst lebron perceives as jeannie throwing passive/agressive shade against him

There really is not much benefit here for the lakers and jeannie PR management comes across as questionable for a supposedly good businesswoman
thebigbird
Head Coach

Post#2314 » by thebigbird » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:18 pm

falcolombardi wrote:
thebigbird wrote:
Ian Scuffling wrote:Beat me to it. Not a controversial statement at all and has validity. However, probably not the best plan of action seeing as you are trying to resign the one she claimed was NOT the best. Jeannie, honestly, seems a little touched.

At best it makes for media gossip and social media joking about it amd making memes

At worst lebron perceives as jeannie throwing passive/agressive shade against him

There really is not much benefit here for the lakers and jeannie PR management comes across as questionable for a supposedly good businesswoman

And if it was a one-off that’d be one thing. But she’s been throwing shade at LeBron fairly regularly recently. Just doesn’t seem like what you’d do if you want the player to resign, and surely she’s not so dumb that she doesn’t realize that.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#2315 » by MisterHibachi » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:59 pm

Read on Twitter

À bit of a surprise to me. Thought he would wait until Russ was traded. Those two '27 and '29 FRP better be on the table if Kyrie is still available.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
dcstanley
Sixth Man
And1: 1,288

Post#2316 » by dcstanley » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:01 pm

They better trade those picks.
falcolombardi
General Manager

Post#2317 » by falcolombardi » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:04 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter

À bit of a surprise to me. Thought he would wait until Russ was traded. Those two '27 and '29 FRP better be on the table if Kyrie is still available.

No excuses for lakers now to argue "we dont have guarantees lebron will stay, that is why we dont make any moves" i guess

I am a bit sad the retirement tour season in cleveland is off the table now
thebigbird
Head Coach

Post#2318 » by thebigbird » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:07 pm

Very foolish.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#2319 » by MisterHibachi » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:12 pm

falcolombardi wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter

No excuses for lakers now to argue "we dont have guarantees lebron will stay, that is why we dont make any moves" i guess

I don't think this is his last contract. He could do a retirement tour in his 40s.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#2320 » by RCM88x » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:14 pm

falcolombardi wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:
Read on Twitter

While this was always super unlike I'm not sure why this extension takes it off the table.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.

Return to Player Comparisons