What's the general consensus on who's better between Prime Paul Pierce and Prime Paul George?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Better

Prime Paul Pierce
67%
Prime Paul George
33%

Total votes: 46

sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,554

Re: What's the general consensus on who's better between Prime Paul Pierce and Prime Paul George? 

Post#21 » by sp6r=underrated » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:17 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:I just don't see Pierce doing what PG did on those Pacers teams.

What did they do? They beat a bunch of teams that weren't talented and the added caveat that couldn't deal with their size. I think many players could have gone to the ECF in PG's environment.

They went toe-to-toe with prime LeBron's Heat with Roy Hibbert as their second-best player.

Pierce on a much more stacked team than those Pacers got dragged to Game 7 by a younger LeBron with a much worse supporting cast than he had in Miami.

I also find it strange that PG is discredited for "beating teams that weren't talented," but Pierce is getting praised in this thread for beating some uninspiring Sixers and Pistons teams to get to the conference finals in the ultra-weak 2002 Eastern Conference. I know everyone loves to dump on the Knicks, but were the 2013 Knicks really worse than those teams? I don't think so.

Thank you for defending the 2013 Knicks. I appreciate it. They were on tier with the clubs Pierce was facing in his prime.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Re: What's the general consensus on who's better between Prime Paul Pierce and Prime Paul George? 

Post#22 » by LesGrossman » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:39 pm

PG more talented and skilled, the truth more dominant / winner. PG will never win unless carried by a Paul Pierce type player.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#23 » by No-more-rings » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:57 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
What did they do? They beat a bunch of teams that weren't talented and the added caveat that couldn't deal with their size. I think many players could have gone to the ECF in PG's environment.

They went toe-to-toe with prime LeBron's Heat with Roy Hibbert as their second-best player.

Pierce on a much more stacked team than those Pacers got dragged to Game 7 by a younger LeBron with a much worse supporting cast than he had in Miami.

I also find it strange that PG is discredited for "beating teams that weren't talented," but Pierce is getting praised in this thread for beating some uninspiring Sixers and Pistons teams to get to the conference finals in the ultra-weak 2002 Eastern Conference. I know everyone loves to dump on the Knicks, but were the 2013 Knicks really worse than those teams? I don't think so.

Thank you for defending the 2013 Knicks. I appreciate it. They were on tier with the clubs Pierce was facing in his prime.

Well Kidd was washed up and retired after the series, and Chandler also hurt but ok.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#24 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:20 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:They went toe-to-toe with prime LeBron's Heat with Roy Hibbert as their second-best player.

Well Kidd was washed up and retired after the series, and Chandler also hurt but ok.

They had the 4th best offense in the NBA. Take a good luck at the 2002 clubs Pierce face. I really don't see any reason to regard them as worst.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,190

Post#25 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:12 pm

2013 Knicks: 3.73 SRS
2002 Celtics: 1.75 SRS
2002 Pistons: 1.69 SRS
2002 Sixers: 1.27 SRS

SRS isn't everything, obviously, but it does back up that the '13 Knicks were better than both that Celtics team and the teams they beat by a decent margin.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#26 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:34 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:2013 Knicks: 3.73 SRS
2002 Celtics: 1.75 SRS
2002 Pistons: 1.69 SRS
2002 Sixers: 1.27 SRS

SRS isn't everything, obviously, but it does back up that the '13 Knicks were better than both that Celtics team and the teams they beat by a decent margin.

It was a good team. they had a core of vets that managed to pull off one last decent season, it was basically the only season in Melo's career that he committed to playing his best position. It is such a shame MElo hated playing the 4 because his career would have gone a lot better if he played in full time.

And also Woodson is a decent, not great, but decent coach.

Not saying they were title contenders or anything but it was the most fun I had as a knicks fan since JVG era ended.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#27 » by Statlanta » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:04 am

Ironically I think George's Thunder years put him past Pierce for me. Being an MVP level player in that situation puts him past Pierce for me.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#28 » by JordansBulls » Sat Jul 9, 2022 3:39 am

Pierce as he beat both Lebron/Dwight/Kobe in a playoffs as the man.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Purch
Veteran
And1: 2,053

Post#29 » by Purch » Sat Jul 9, 2022 8:05 pm

JordansBulls wrote:Pierce as he beat both Lebron/Dwight/Kobe in a playoffs as the man.

Was he better than KG?

Return to Player Comparisons