Better player right now: Jayson Tatum or Jimmy Butler?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Better Player Right Now

Jayson Tatum
35%
Jimmy Butler?
65%

Total votes: 37

mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,325

Post#1 » by mdonnelly1989 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:27 am

sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,544

Re: Better player right now: Jayson Tatum or Jimmy Butler? 

Post#2 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:38 am

Tatum. And yes I am aware of the 2022 post-season stats.
jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,723

Post#3 » by jasonxxx102 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:50 am

Tatum and spare me the “but but playoffs” spiel.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#4 » by MyUniBroDavis » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:03 am

Playoff jimmy eats
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#5 » by RTG HD » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:26 am

Jayson Tatum but if I could have Jimmy Butler with the personality of Jayson Tatum I would pick that.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#6 » by No-more-rings » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:26 am

Butler is clearly better. His playoff PER was more than 12 points higher and BPM more than double. Come on guys. This poll is based on Tatum’s team beating his and nothing more.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,755

Post#7 » by LukaTheGOAT » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:13 am

No-more-rings wrote:Butler is clearly better. His playoff PER was more than 12 points higher and BPM more than double. Come on guys. This poll is based on Tatum’s team beating his and nothing more.

He had a better PS run but you could argue that you like Tatum's shooting on a multitude of teams more because he can maybe fit in easier to certain offenses.
SickMother
Senior
And1: 610

Post#8 » by SickMother » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:20 am

Voted Tatum because I feel like both players are pretty similar impact-wise, even if they get there in slightly different ways, but Jayson is just entering his prime where Jimmy is already on the backend of his.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#9 » by falcolombardi » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:24 am

Butler is just more playoffs ready at this point although tatum may end up with the better career and peak
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#10 » by prolific passer » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:59 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote:Playoff jimmy eats

That's because Tatum sent him home so he can get an early start on the food.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,419

Post#11 » by TheGOATRises007 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:18 am

Butler is still the better player imo.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Post#12 » by Dutchball97 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:33 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:Butler is clearly better. His playoff PER was more than 12 points higher and BPM more than double. Come on guys. This poll is based on Tatum’s team beating his and nothing more.

He had a better PS run but you could argue that you like Tatum's shooting on a multitude of teams more because he can maybe fit in easier to certain offenses.

That's something to be concerned about with role players imo, not when it is a top 10 player who has now shown repeatedly he can carry an offense effectively. Tatum has shown flashes but he can't do it consistently and I'd give both the defensive and playmaking edge to Butler as well.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,755

Post#13 » by LukaTheGOAT » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:50 am

Dutchball97 wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:

That's something to be concerned about with role players imo, not when it is a top 10 player who has now shown repeatedly he can carry an offense effectively. Tatum has shown flashes but he can't do it consistently and I'd give both the defensive and playmaking edge to Butler as well.

I guess, I mean matchups matter too. Last year, Butler's performance against the Bucks was worse than anything we saw from Tatum this year. Heck, I would argue Celtics have more offensive firepower, but you look at their PS rORTG, and Boston was actually slightly better
Read on Twitter

Their defense is pretty darn close to me. I won't argue about Butler being a better playmaker. Though, I do wonder if Tatum is potentially a better scorer (although he wasn't this PS).
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Post#14 » by Dutchball97 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:24 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:

I guess, I mean matchups matter too. Last year, Butler's performance against the Bucks was worse than anything we saw from Tatum this year. Heck, I would argue Celtics have more offensive firepower, but you look at their PS rORTG, and Boston was actually slightly better
Read on Twitter

Their defense is pretty darn close to me. I won't argue about Butler being a better playmaker. Though, I do wonder if Tatum is potentially a better scorer (although he wasn't this PS).

This season Butler scored 21 ppg on 59 TS% in the regular season and 27 ppg on 60 TS% in the play-offs. Tatum scored 27 ppg on 58 TS% in the regular season and 26 ppg on 56 TS% in the play-offs.

They're at least in the same ballpark (same as their defense) but looking at strictly this season as we're discussing who is better right now I think the edge goes to Butler.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,703

Post#15 » by scrabbarista » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:09 am

I had Tatum 4th in MVP, but Butler had the better season if you include the playoffs.
The man who sleeps on the bed can never fall out of the floor... Winnie the Pooh
No-more-rings
Head Coach

Post#16 » by No-more-rings » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:57 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:

I don’t have time to look the numbers up right now, but I don’t get the impression that Tatum is a better shooter really. Seems like a minor point when comparing them though.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#17 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:08 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:

I don’t have time to look the numbers up right now, but I don’t get the impression that Tatum is a better shooter really. Seems like a minor point when comparing them though.

Much better shooter from distance. Long 2s and 3s are very heavily in Tatum's favor. Jimmy Butler doesn't shoot 3s.
No-more-rings
Head Coach

Post#18 » by No-more-rings » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:55 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:

Much better shooter from distance. Long 2s and 3s are very heavily in Tatum's favor. Jimmy Butler doesn't shoot 3s.

Maybe, but Tatum still feels really streaky to me. Butler’s overall scoring seems much more robust to me in the postseason, so the lesser shooting isn’t as big a deal to me.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#19 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:21 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:I don’t have time to look the numbers up right now, but I don’t get the impression that Tatum is a better shooter really. Seems like a minor point when comparing them though.

Maybe, but Tatum still feels really streaky to me. Butler’s overall scoring seems much more robust to me in the postseason, so the lesser shooting isn’t as big a deal to me.

Jimmy Butler has shot 24% from 3 point territory for 3 seasons in a row, and only makes .5 3s per game. That is way worse than Tatum even when Tatum is having an off night.
No-more-rings
Head Coach

Post#20 » by No-more-rings » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:13 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

Jimmy Butler has shot 24% from 3 point territory for 3 seasons in a row, and only makes .5 3s per game. That is way worse than Tatum even when Tatum is having an off night.

Yeah, so what though?

There’s a massive difference in their postseason scoring efficiency. This idea that Tatum might be better because his shooting fits in better is a weird talking point some tend to make around here.

Ray Allen’s shooting might make him more flexible than Wade, but he’s still a way worse player.

Return to Player Comparisons