Top Pro Talent Sources of All-Time: #12 (Ohio State)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Top Pro Talent Sources of All-Time: #12 (Ohio State) 

Post#1 » by trex_8063 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:54 pm

How it works
Simple ballot system: 3 votes/ballots [3-2-1 point system]. The "source" with the most points will take the spot.

It looks like interest in this project is limited, so I'm not going to have a designated time-limit for each place [though I don't want to leave each open for 4-5 days]; we'll probably aim for something in the neighborhood of 48 hours each, but we'll see.
This may be one of those projects that fizzles out quick due to lack of interest, but I'm hoping at least 2-3 people will come along with me for it.
There will be no approval of participants; anyone can pop in at any time to vote/contribute, even on a sporadic or part-time basis. No "arguments" will be required to accompany votes, though a list of notable players from each source being voted for is encouraged.....this will help jog memories, as well as stimulate conversation (and may help clarify the "source" in some rare cases where it is ambiguous). Hopefully we'll pick up some participants along the way.

How you want to consider those universities/sources (in terms of considerations of total players vs quality of players, etc) is entirely up to you [though others may wish to debate your selection criteria].

I'm hoping to make it out to around the top 20 [or so] "sources" of all-time for pro [NBA/ABA/BAA/NBL] players, but we'll see.

The "Talent Sources"
We are going to include non-university sources, as to do otherwise just leaves too many relevant players on the table.
Besides, it occurred to me that when scrutinizing the resulting list, one can just mentally exclude the non-university sources [I'll even colour-code those differently to make it easier], and what's left is an ordered list of the universities (as well as an ordered list of other sources)......two birds, right?
The source can be of the following three types:

a) (an American) University/College - if they played even one year at the university, that will be designated the default "source" of that pro player. If a player played at multiple universities, you can mentally factor that in to consideration for ALL universities played at, give preference to the university he had his BEST years at, or to the university he played LONGER at.....whatever; up to you.

b) a Non-USA Country (if not subject to "a" above) - This one is only to be considered a potential source IF they did not attend an American university. Examples would be guys like Dirk Nowitzki, Luka Doncic, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, or Nikola Jokic.......their country of origin is considered the "source".
Someone like Hakeem Olajuwon, otoh, would be considered from the University of Houston [and not Nigeria].

In the event of using this designation, we may have individuals where consensus on just WHERE a player is "from" is debatable. Tony Parker is a good example: born in Belgium to an American father and Dutch mother, but raised in France (confusing already, right?). But most of us consider Tony from France [he played for their national team, too], as that's where he grew up.

And to me, that's what it's more about: where they grew up (rather than where they were born (or the nationality of his parents)). There may end up being a player for whom the "source" country is ambiguous and debatable; but we'll cross that bridge as we come to it (and again: that's why it's good to give at least a partial list of WHO you have in mind when placing a vote, so we can debate things like this as needed).

c) an American Highschool Zone - Self-explanatory: this is for American players who did NOT have a college career, but rather went straight to pro.
Having just "USA" as a single source for all American players who did NOT attend a university is just too great a source......it ends up blowing away all the competition at this point (we've just seen too many great players out of highschool now, it holds too much of a sample-size advantage over any American university).
So I've opted to break it up into three zones, which are as follows....

The East Coast Zone - This includes all states that actually make up part of America's eastern coastline [including Washington D.C. simply because it basically resides within Maryland]. That is: Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticutt. Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland [including D.C.], Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

The East-Central Zone - This includes the states west of our "East Coast Zone", but east of [or inclusive of, in one case] the Missouri River. That is: West Virginia, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Alabama, Mississippi, Lousiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Missouri.

The Western Zone - All the states that are left: Texas, Arkansas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Washington, Oregon, California, Alaska, Hawaii.

That's 14 states in the East Coast Zone, 16 in the East-Central Zone, and 20 in the Western Zone.
If you want to know why I broke them up in this manner, I wanted zones that had some geographical rhyme or reason, but also zones that had similar overall population.....
The East Coast Zone has a population of just over 108 million by recent census.
The East-Central Zone has just under 102 million.
The Western Zone has just over 119 million.

So the Western Zone has the largest population, BUT that's only by recent census. If we jumped back 60-70 years ago, that was not at all the case. Nearer the start of BAA/NBA history, the Western Zone would have been the LEAST populous zone. The population of states like California, Arizona, Nevada, and even Texas have really taken off in more modern eras.
Basketball also started out East, and spread west more gradually. So I intentionally made it the largest zone [today] to compensate somewhat for that consideration, while still having some manner of geographical demarkation to go with.

Gimme' your top 3 picks [in order] for the #12 spot.....

1. UCLA
2. North Carolina
3. Kentucky
4. Kansas
5. East Coast Zone (highschool)
6. Duke
7. Georgetown
8. East-Central Zone (highschool)
9. Michigan State
10. Wake Forest
11. Houston

Spoiler:
Doctor MJ wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

jalengreen wrote:.

falcolombardi wrote:.

Colbini wrote:.

giordunk wrote:.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Top Pro Talent Sources of All-Time: #12 

Post#2 » by trex_8063 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:26 pm

Have edited Spain's numbers to include some of Luka Doncic and Serge Ibaka.

Doncic was obviously already a very promising young player from a very young age growing up in Slovenia. But then he largely played in Spain from the age of 13 onward before entering the NBA. So I'm "crediting" Spain with all except his rookie season.

Serge Ibaka grew up in the Republic of Congo, and was a promising national prospect by age 16-17. They moved when he was 17, and he then played two seasons in Spain [one in a sort of junior semi-pro league, one in an actual pro league]. So I'm crediting Spain with a chunk of his early career, including what might be the bulk of his prime: '10-'16 [seven seasons, all his time in OKC].
These additions are reflected in Spain's numbers below.....

Total WS
Arizona - 974.3
Ohio State - 965.4
Indiana - 949.7
Michigan - 897.7
UCONN - 828.9
Georgia Tech - 797.7
Notre Dame - 769.0
Texas - 746.6
Illinois - 695.9
Marquette - 671.9
LSU - 670.1
Spain - 411.6
Western Zone - 317.8
Serbia - 275.9

Total Players (Mean WS)
Indiana - 68 (14.0)
Arizona - 62 (15.7)
Michigan - 62 (14.5)
Notre Dame - 60 (12.8)
Ohio State - 50 (19.3)
LSU - 50 (13.4)
Illinois - 46 (15.1)
Marquette - 43 (15.6)
Georgia Tech - 41 (19.5)
UCONN - 39 (21.3)
Texas - 37 (20.2)
Serbia - 24 (11.5)
Spain - 17 (24.21)
Western Zone - 9 identified so far (35.31)

Score [the one I'd previously shared]
Arizona - 414.89
Ohio State - 391.34
Indiana - 372.88
Michigan - 360.12
UCONN - 359.22
LSU - 336.28
Notre Dame - 333.52
Georgia Tech - 326.66
Illinois - 324.78
Texas - 318.60
Marquette - 311.79
Spain - 210.49
Western Zone - 155.11
Serbia - 154.86

All-Star Selections
LSU - 36
Ohio State - 33
Indiana - 31
Marquette - 30
Texas - 27
Illinois - 24 (6 were ABA All-Stars [also a few from early 1950's; but otoh Illinois also claims Derek Harper, Eddie Johnson, Nick Anderson, and Kendall Gill.......who were all dubiously snubbed their entire careers)
UCONN - 22
Michigan - 18
Georgia Tech - 18
Notre Dame - 15
Spain - 11
Arizona - 6 (although note they have Mike Bibby, Richard Jefferson, Jason Terry, and DeAndre Ayton......all of whom have had at least 1 or 2 All-Star level seasons, even if they weren't recognized; Iggy only got one, too)
Serbia - 5
Western Zone - 3

MVP's
LSU - 3
Serbia - 2
Texas - 1
Indiana - 1 (or 0.5?--->George McGinnis shared a co-MVP with Dr. J [in the ABA])

Ohio State/Michigan/Arizona/UCONN/Georgia Tech/Notre Dame/Spain/Western Zone/Illinois/Marquette - 0 each

Will try to add in France soon, as well as maybe a few more universities [St. John's, Minnesota, Louisiana Tech, USC probably at the top of the list].
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by trex_8063 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:50 pm

I'm going to put my tentative picks out there right now while I have time; reserve the right to change them later if someone convinces me of another.

1. Ohio State
2. Indiana
3. Arizona

OSU and Indiana - these were my 1st and 3rd picks [respectively] in the last thread. Their respective cases are similar in nature: a very nice balance of star-power and depth for this stage. I simply like the names [collectively] at the top a little better for OSU than for Indiana.
To recap, the most notable for OSU are: John Havlicek, Neil Johnston, Jerry Lucas, Mike Conley, Arnie Risen, Jim Jackson, Herb Williams, Michael Redd, Larry Siegfried, Derek Anderson, Tony Campbell, D’Angelo Russell, Evan Turner, Jim Cleamons, Clark Kellogg.

For Indiana, it's: Isiah Thomas, Walt Bellamy, George McGinnis, Dick Van Arsdale, Tom Van Arsdale, Jon McGlocklin, Eric Gordon, Victor Oladipo, Mike Woodson, Quinn Buckner, OG Anunoby, Calbert Chaney, Cody Zeller, Slick Leonard.

The top 3 are very close, but Hondo > Isiah gives OSU the tiny edge for me there.
Conley, Risen, Redd, Jackson, Williams looks perhaps marginally superior as a "next five" than the Van Arsdales, McGlocklin, Gordon, Oladipo [to me], too; again, very very close.
After that, they're roughly even.
Either one is a very solid candidate at this point.

Arizona - I'm finally gonna give a little nod to Arizona. Again, no real super-stars [outside of perhaps two seasons from Gilbert Arenas, that is], but A LOT of low-level All-Star calibre seasons from guys like Iggy, Bibby, Terry, Jefferson, and Ayton [and Arenas again]. Also tons of "good" seasons from players like Aaron Gordon, Sean Elliott, Damon Stoudamire, Steve Kerr, Channing Frye, Jarryd Bayless, Lauri Markkanen, and so on.
Not that it's the end all, but they lead all remaining candidates in total rs win shares to their credit (with 974.3, not counting whatever amount I should split with Kentucky and Maryland, given CHris Mills and Bison Dele split their time between those universities and Arizona). FIVE sources with fewer total WS have already been voted in.

OSU and Indiana are the only other two remaining candidates with >900 win shares.
OSU, Indiana, and Michigan are the only others remaining with >830.
OSU, Indiana, Michigan, and UCONN the only others remaining with >800.

This is just to give an idea of how much they're distanced from most of the herd in this particular measure.
It's getting harder for me to overlook, and not at least offer them a 3rd-ballot vote.

falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#4 » by falcolombardi » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:18 pm

I am provably gonna dig further and explain my votes a bit later tonight or tomorrow as i am gonna be a
Somwwhat busy tonight

In case i dont get to do it in time k leave my temptative picks here

1-lousiana
2-OSU
3-Marquette

I am not weighting simmons + maravich too hard but the combo of shaq and petit is still hard to ignore

You guys are sellin me on OSU as they have both nice depth and nice top end talent may look into their direct colparision with LSU and see if i change my mind

Indiana vs marquette i am leaning over marquette for their top end talent but after i dig further i am thinkig i may change my vote to indiana

1-LSU
2-OSU
3-MARQUTTE

Tenptative picks before i think this further just to not miss the vote again if i get too busy
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by trex_8063 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:14 am

So falcolombardi and I have put in our votes; the score so far is:

Ohio State - 5 pts
LSU - 3 pts
Indiana - 2 pts
Arizona - 1 pt
Marquette - 1 pt

What say you?

jalengreen
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,083

Post#6 » by jalengreen » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:19 am

oops i missed this thread, thanks for alerting me.

1. ohio state
2. lsu
3. indiana

1 and 2 just me sticking to my previous ballot. #3, i think indiana is definitely more impressive than arizona for me, will consider other options for #3 (or i suppose it'll be #2) next thread
falcolombardi
General Manager

Post#7 » by falcolombardi » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:28 am

arizona

total of nba players: 62 ( High)

mvp level players: 0 (low)

notable all star level players: 2 ( low) (Iguodala, arenas)

Borderline stars 4 (mid): ayton(really short career handicap), richard jefferson, terry, bibby

Total win shares:974(high)

Vs

lousiana

total of nba players: 47 ( mid)

mvp level players: 2 (high) (shaq, petit)

notable all star careers: 2 ( low) (shaq, petit)

Borderline stars 3 (mid): simmons*(longevity)abdul rauf(?), maravich(?)

Total win shares: 670 (mid)

Vs

Ohio

total of nba players: 48 ( mid)

mvp level players: 1 (mid) (havlicek)

notable all star careers: 3 ( mid) (Havlicec, lucas, neil johnston,redd)

Borderline stars 2 (low): derek anderson(?) arnie risen

Total win shares: 965 (high)

Vs

Indiana

total of nba players: 77 ( high)

mvp level players: 1? (Mid) (isiah thomas)

notable all star careers: 4 (mid) (thomas, walt bellamy, tom van arsdale(?), george mcginnis)

Borderline stars 4 (mid): dick van arsdale, eric gordon oladipo, anunoby

Total win shares: 950 (high)

Vs

Marquette

total of nba players: 41 ( mid)

mvp level players: 2 (high) (wade, butler?)

notable all star careers: 4 ( mid) (wade, butler, maurice lucas?)

Borderline stars 1 (low): doc rivers?

Total win shares: 670 (mid)

Vs

Spain

total of nba players: 20( low)

mvp level players: 0 (low)

notable all star careers: 3 ( mid) (pau, marc, luka)

Borderline stars 2 (low): rubio?, ibaka ?

Total win shares: 400 (low)
falcolombardi
General Manager

Post#8 » by falcolombardi » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:28 am

Some clarifications

-i dont count players like luka yet as mvps for lack of longevity.
I try to consider longevity as well as level of play for these classifications so a short career superstar is comparable to a full career all star

-i dont include players beyond the "not quite a star but really damn good" level since listing and comparing them all is a bit beyond my knowledge here. And they already are included for stuff like win shares

-because of my limitations with older basketball i am relying in boxscore stars (rauf) or all stsr selections (van arsdale) with players i dont know about

-because of this feel free to call out where i put some of these players

- my distinctions of low,mid,high or really high are somewhat arbitrary but they make sense to me

A "0" is always low, for mvps just 1 is already notable (mid) and 2 is already high. 4 would be really high

Win shares is low below 500 and high over 750, really high over 1000

All stars is low at 2, mid in 3-5, high at 6
falcolombardi
General Manager

Post#9 » by falcolombardi » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:40 am

Spain really cannot keep up yet

Even though they win at the top, with this approach marquette and lousiana actually lose to ohio and indiana, making me doubt about automatically going to the best top end talent.

Ohio and indiana actually stand out over marquette and lousiana at most categories except the top 2 guys

Shaq career is a level above wade's in both peak and longevity and petit has a more impressive overall career than butler. Since they are close ish otherwise i would lean lousiana in the head to head

Ohio vs indiana is very interesting, ohio is a bit ahead at the top while indiana has more players and slightly ahead in high end talent by my view

The fact their win shares are equal-ish despite less players makes me give less weight to the total players advantage than the top end gap

So ohio> indiana to me

Indiana also beats arizona mostly at the top

Lousiana/marquette vs arizona is close overall in the different categories so i go with the top end tslent as tiebreakers (marquette/lousiana) over arizona win shareS/total player gap

Lousiana vs indiana is the key battle, and since indiana wins most categories shaq becomes lousiana only "chance" and i dont feel comfortable bridging the gap i see with shaq >> thomas alone
falcolombardi
General Manager

Post#10 » by falcolombardi » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:44 am

So my final picks

1-ohio
2-indiana
3- lousiana

4-marquette

Quite a bit far from where i was a few threads earlier actually
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by trex_8063 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:03 pm

OK, with jalengreen's picks and falco's updated finalized picks we have:

Ohio State - 9 pts
Indiana - 5 pts
LSU - 3 pts
Arizona - 1 pt

So OSU is unanimous.

btw, I want to thank you both for hanging in this project with me. It obviously doesn't have broad appeal; I'd hoped we might nab 5-6 participants [even if they only popped in from time to time], and I still quote a few others in the OP's on that hope. I've kept the schedule loose(ish), made no requirements on sufficient arguments or consistent participation, again all in the hope of nabbing an additional voter here or there.
As long as we can at least carry on with three voters, though. I'd like to make it out to 20 or so; maybe #25.

Anyway, thanks for playing in the sandbox with me :).

falcolombardi wrote:.

Return to Player Comparisons