And1: 3,145

RealGM Greatest Peaks Project (2022): #3 - 1999-00 Shaquille O'Neal 

Post#1 » by LA Bird » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:00 pm

RealGM Greatest Peaks List (2022)
1. 1990-91 Michael Jordan
2. 2012-13 LeBron James
3. ?

Spoiler:

Please vote for your 3 highest player peaks and at least one line of reasoning for each of them.

Vote example 1
1. 1991 Jordan: Explanation
2. 2013 LeBron: Explanation
3. 1967 Wilt: Explanation

In addition, you can also list other peak season candidates from those three players. This extra step is entirely optional

Vote example 2
1. 1991 Jordan: Explanation
2. (1990 Jordan)
3. 2013 LeBron: Explanation
4. (2012 LeBron)
5. (1992 Jordan)
6. (2009 LeBron)

7. 1967 Wilt: Explanation
8. (1964 Wilt)

You can visit the project thread for further information on why this makes a difference and how the votes will be counted at the end of the round.

Voting for this round will close on Monday June 27, 9am ET.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,826

Re: RealGM Greatest Peaks Project (2022): #3 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:02 pm

I'm thinking Duncan, Wilt and Kareem here with Garnett, Hakeem, Shaq and Russell [In that order] next up.

Should Walton be in this group?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,482

Post#3 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:40 pm

70sFan wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:Re: Hakeem. In the era I'm talking about, Hakeem has an excellent case for being both the best offensive and defensive player in the NBA. You can certainly argue that his defense was even better when he was younger, but overall, his play with Rudy T seems to me clearly to be his best performance.

I don't think Hakeem has a strong claim for the best offensive player in the league in any of his years. I guess it's the matter of mediocre competition at his peak, but even then I don't see that. Hakeem was the kind of player that was absurdly good at some things, but had clear limitations in very basic offensive skills. He's notably weaker passer than most high volume post players, he doesn't draw a lot of fouls and his off-ball movement is quite mediocre (he has little value outside of occasional midrange jumpers coming off screens). On top of that, his decision making clearly improved under Rudy T, but he never really cleared it enough to say that stopped being his weakness.

Even with the absence of Jordan, was he really better than Barkley, Miller, Shaq? I don't think so.

By the way, wouldn't you say that with such loose criteria you can say the same thing about other bigs like Kareem, Duncan, Wilt or even Garnett?

So on offense, I should be clear that I'm thinking about the '94-95 post-season. Feel free to say some stuff about why that's not a fair sample - that's clearly a concern.

Second, I love that you're bringing up other players for comparison, and in particular I'm glad you're bringing up Reggie Miller, who I don't think most would realize deserves such consideration, but I sure think he does. In my post I said Hakeem had an argument not that it was definitive, and yeah, Miller has an argument for best offensive player basically for the duration of the Jordan Hiatus.

I must say that I'm pretty influenced by the combination of a) Hakeem's volume and b) the Rockets' ORtg.

On (a)

In '94-95, here are the players with the most 30 point playoff games:

1. Olajuwon 16 (in 22 games)
2. Jordan 5 (in 10 games)
(tie) Miller 5 (in 17 games)
(tie) Robinson 5 (in 15 games)
5. Shaq 4 (in 21 games)

Barkley 3 (in 10 games)

So, we're talking about a post-season where Olajuwon was just far more likely to break 30 points on any given night than anyone else.

Let me also note that 16 is the record in NBA history, matched only by Jordan in '91-92, who also played 22 games that year.

Further, the list is largely dominated by perimeter players. For perspective, there are 20 post-seasons in history where players have scored 30+ in 12 or more games (earliest being Baylor in '61-62, 12 in 13 games, which shows why there's going to be a bias toward more recent players who play longer post-seasons). Here are the seasons that make that list as bigs:

1. Olajuwon '94-95 (16 in 22 games)
9. Giannis '20-21 (13 in 21 games)
(tie) Shaq '99-00 (13 in 23 games)

/end

Now, I'd be misleading if I didn't include some other all-time bigs with their top performances by this (very coarse) metric:

Kareem '79-80 (11 in 15 games) (Also in '73-74 in 16 games)
Wilt '61-62 & '63-64 (9 in 12 both times)
Mikan '49-50 (8 in 12)

Of course everyone should consider all sides of this sort of data, along with its weaknesses, but the thing that strikes me here is this:

It's unusual for a player to so reliably score beyond that threshold, and all the more so among bigs. While what I present probably would not convince a Kareem or Wilt supporter that Olajuwon's offense was more impressive, it at least makes clear why he belongs in a certain conversation.

(b)

I always try to look at team success context when evaluating players. When you do this, of course, winning bias is a concern, but that doesn't mean not doing this is without harm.

In particular, something that's been a recurring theme throughout the history of the big man in basketball is a situation where the big man scores a lot, and even scores a lot on high relative efficiency, and yet the team offense is stagnant. (This is literally something the Minneapolis Lakers had to work to figure out, because at first the team got worse when Mikan joined despite him putting up eye-popping numbers.) (I'll add that this is a criticism I have had of the WNBA since I started turning a more critical eye over there.)

And so in '94-95, we have these Rockets. 115.2 ORtg in the playoffs - a higher mark than anyone achieved in the regular season.

Looking at their others against mutual opponents, the Rockets have a massive ORtg edge over those who played against their Western Conference opponents, and a massive edge over all who played the Orlando Magic...except Miller's Indiana Pacers.

Considering more closely the Pacers, let's remember that Miller was the original Steph Curry and Shaq was Shaq. This would not be the first nor the last time a Shaq-defense struggled with a Reggie-offense, and while Reggie deserves a lot of credit for it, I think the matchup edge for Reggie is pretty clear - bigs too big get exploited by outside shooting.

The Rockets of course also had a lot of outside shooting, and that was certainly key to their success...but if you're the Magic, you certainly think you're more prepared for an interior big-oriented offense, and the Dream-centered offense proved quite effective there.

While I do hear the criticisms about Hakeem's passing limitations, those would bother me a lot more if I hadn't seen how well things seemed to thrive once you started embracing spacing around him.

Re: Barkley. I don't want to imply he didn't have a case here, but I do want to point out that teammate Kevin Johnson has a really strong case for being the better offensive performer in those playoffs, and this makes it really hard for me to side with Barkley - arguably the 2nd best offensive player on his own team - as the best offensive player in the entire NBA. Honestly, easy to imagine a universe where KJ scores 48 points in that last game instead of 46 (or Barkley scores 20 instead of 18), and KJ leads the team to a championship, earning him a place in the pantheon he never actually got.

Re: Shaq. It concerns me that the Magic were one of the worse offensive performers against the Rockets relative to the Suns and Jazz. While those other teams were loaded to be sure, so were the Magic. Between Penny, Grant, and a perspective on spacing that like the Rockets was very ahead of its time, to me this was about as good of an offensive supporting cast as Shaq could ask for, and it just doesn't seem like it reached a ceiling up there with the state of the art at the time.

Now as I say all of this, there's an elephant in the room pertaining to how strong the offenses were that post-season, and the fact that I'm championing Olajuwon as an all-around player rather than an offensive player.

You weighed in on your assessment that Olajuwon's defense was noticeably dropping off from the previous year, and I'm not looking to die on that hill.

In the end, what I see with Olajuwon is someone who proved himself extraordinarily capable on both sides of the ball within a duration where it's hard for me to definitively where the apex was. I'm set that Hakeem reached his peak with Rudy T, but narrowing it down beyond that is hard for me.

With all this discussion in mind, and with the way this project works, I'm frankly inclined to look around at what year of Olajuwon's others are picking, and so long as it's a Rudy T year, bending in that direction.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:45 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:While I do hear the criticisms about Hakeem's passing limitations, those would bother me a lot more if I hadn't seen how well things seemed to thrive once you started embracing spacing around him.

Didn't the Rockets have some of the best spacing of their day? That may be part of why Hakeem's passing and efficiency improved to the extent it reached and why their overall offensive efficiency was as good as it was. Hakeem's ability to score from the post and draw defensive attention is certainly a huge factor in this success too of course.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#5 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:54 pm

Colbinii wrote:I'm thinking Duncan, Wilt and Kareem here with Garnett, Hakeem, Shaq and Russell [In that order] next up.

Should Walton be in this group?

I'll say that he's always going to have a serious case for me over Kareem, and since Kareem has a serious case over everyone mentioned here, to me that means Walton deserves to be in this group.

The big thing that will make it so it's hard for me to object when people side with all these guys over Walton is that there's never a point in time where he's playing as much as these other guys play. Even in the miracle year of '76-77, it's at least something of a disadvantage.

But if we put that to the side, I think it's so important to emphasize:

1. Walton has a strong case for being the best defensive center - Russell excepted - that the world had ever seen at that time. He was bigger than his official height let on, he seemed remarkably quick for his size, and he was extremely quick not just to make the defensive play, but to kick start the fast break.

2. Offensively, Walton was playing in a completely different way than all these other bigs played and it makes true comparison very difficult. I would emphasize that I think Walton has a case for being a more effective offensive center than literally all the guys listed, because of how much power their was in enabling the creation of pivot-cutter system.

Of course as I say that, that makes me feel like I need to bring up Nikola Jokic, who indisputably is better offensively than Walton was, running something like that system but with more punch than Walton brought.

I don't think it's hyperbole in the slightest to call Jokic the best offensive big man in the history of basketball. There the question is whether Jokic is the best offensive player in the history of basketball.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#6 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:56 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:While I do hear the criticisms about Hakeem's passing limitations, those would bother me a lot more if I hadn't seen how well things seemed to thrive once you started embracing spacing around him.

Didn't the Rockets have some of the best spacing of their day? That may be part of why Hakeem's passing and efficiency improved to the extent it reached and why their overall offensive efficiency was as good as it was. Hakeem's ability to score from the post and draw defensive attention is certainly a huge factor in this success too of course.

Right, my point is that when you use smarter schemes, Olajuwon's passing was clearly good enough to stir the drink. Happy to give certain bigs a major edge over Olajuwon on the passing front, but him achieving what he did make me not see this as a big thing to knock him over.

Proxy
Sophomore
And1: 192

Post#7 » by Proxy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:32 pm

I think most people expected LeBron and MJ to be #1 and #2 in some order even if they disagreed with them. When I was doing my evaluations leading up to the project I came to the conclusion there were truly like 10 ish players I personally thought had strong arguments to be in this range, and all of them have already been mentioned even if they didn't have votes. I already named my top two picks for #3 and #4(Shaq and Bill) in the last thread but like it was for those two, my next three picks were all basically in a deadlock for #5. Can't wait to give my thoughts and participate in discussion when I have more time later this weekend to drop my post. I've really been enjoying some of the discussion so far and hope we can keep it great!
AEnigma wrote:Arf arf.

trex_8063 wrote:Calling someone a stinky turd is not acceptable.
PLEASE stop doing that.

One_and_Done wrote:I mean, how would you feel if the NBA traced it's origins to an 1821 league of 3 foot dwarves who performed in circuses?
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,755

Post#8 » by LukaTheGOAT » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:53 pm

Regarding just how good offensively 95 Hakeem was offensively. If you put a lot of stock in his PS run, I see why one might come away feeling he is arguably the best offensive player in the world (since he did it over an entire run, while someone like Kevin Johnson did it in only 10 games and Reggie did it in 17 games, while Hakeem was 22).

95 PS Hakeem

Inflation Adjusted 31.2 pts per 75 possessions (rTS% of 2%). Estimated to have created 7.1 shots per 100 possessions.
7.7rORTG

95 PS Barkley

Inflation Adjusted 26.3 pts per 75 possessions (rTS% of 4.8%). Estimated to have created about 2.8 shots per 100 possessions.
11.5 rORTG

95 PS Kevin Johnson

Inflation Adjusted 26.7 pts per 75 possessions (rTS% of 13.1%). Estimated to have created about 15 shots per 100 possessions.
11.5 rORTG

95 PS Shaq

Inflation Adjusted 27.9 pts per 75 possessions (rTS% of 5.9%). Estimated to have created about 5.3 shots per 100 possessions.
7.5 rORTG

95 PS Anfernee Hardaway

Inflation Adjusted 20.2 pts per 75 possessions (rTS% of 4.6%). Estimated to have created about 8.1 shots per 100 possessions.
7.5 rORTG

95 PS Reggie Miller

Inflation Adjusted 29.1 pts per 75 possessions (rTS% of 10.5%). Estimated to have created about 5.4 shots per 100 possessions. 6.9 rORTG
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#9 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:51 pm

Where Jokic/curry/Giannis/Durant rank is gonna be interesting

With Jokic, it depends on how bad you think the offense would have been without him + how much you think his playoff defense being a liability in certain matchups matter

With Curry, if you think his 2022 year dispelled the notion he can’t lead a playoff offense I think going with his 2017 season in the 5-10 range is fair

With Giannis, I think it depends on how much you think the regression of his regular season defensive impact from 2019 and 2020 vs 2021 and 2022 is a defensive role thing, and a playoff effort thing on that end

Giannis is probably the most interesting one because it’s not as if his offensive load changed either.

His 2020 year defensively IIRC really stands out in a three point era where defensive impact isn’t really as high as it used to be, for various reasons, and more importantly he is versatile in that end. His 2020 year defense compares favorably to the Duncan and pre Boston garnett years relative to league average in RAPM (in fact I think it compares to Garnett’s years even in Boston although I’d have to check that). Them being a -7.7 dfrtg relative to league abg team in defense is also pretty significant

If you take his 2020 defense as his “ability”, (or 2019 for that matter), you have a 30-13-5 guy on great effeciency with upper tier DPOY level defense, of course if you don’t that drops him considerably

As it stands I think the two things that go against him are, that he does have some limitations in the half court, which is fair but he was great in level of play in 2020, and he did face a Celtics team hilariously equipped to defend him and did quite well overall (and his off ball skills as a roll man and finisher, as well as someone that if you help off of he will catch it with space and drive and kill you) should still provide alot of value under optimal coaching

The other thing is him missing the 2 games in the ECF with injury. But it’s one of those things like, if we are docking someone for missing 2 games off an injury that kept him out of the first half of training camp 3 months later, and him coming back in the finals a week after the injury and putting in one of the absolute greatest finals performances of all time…

There’s a level of

“ok well under my hypothetical if he had done this in 1865 with teammates chuckle fincetone and George Lopez when it was raining my calculations tell me there would be a 65% chance it worked out”

And there’s a level of

Its basketball, what he did was bad*** asf and epic, and practically speaking they won

I’m in the latter camp, and I think it’s pretty reasonable

With Curry it’s interesting, the point against him I think is his potential ability to lead playoff offenses because he’s probably the best offensive RS player ever throughout his peak in context, and I wonder if the past year where the playoff offense was great dispelled any notions

Jokic it’s gonna be how big of a deal is his playoff defense being exploitable in certain matchups to you, and AD is based on how much you care about playoffs vs RS

Off the bat my assumption is Giannis and Curry would be in the 5-15 range for me and Jokic and AD would be in the 15-25 range for me

2017 Curry leading the best offense in nba history come playoff time with him on the court, while himself being great shooting wise throughout, and Giannis being legendary in the playoffs speaks to me a lot. I can pretty reasonably see an argument for both of them in the upper tiers to be honest.

When evaluating giannis vs guys like Duncan/garnett, I do think the defensive gap between his DPOY seasons and their defense during their peaks isn’t nearly as much as people tend to believe. I feel there’s an assumption that the best guys today are worse defenders, vs that defensive impact today in general is lessened. I wouldn’t be surprised if you place a guy like Gobert in previous eras and he appears as a mutombo type, more mobile and switchy less interior maybe. I think Giannis peaked higher on that end than gobert.

It’s really interesting when you think of 2019 or 2020 Giannis on defense, there’s not much counter evidence, the teams defense were about league average in the 20 or so games he missed especially considering competition iirc between those two years and ATG (-5.2 and -7.7)
(1999 Spurs were -7.2, 2008 Celtics were -8.6 for comparison). Especially impressive when you consider that the defense iirc was a tad better than league average in the 20 ish games he didn’t play, and that bud is even more annoying than Kerr with his rotations

I’m of the opinion that any difference between 2021 or 2022 Giannis and 2019 or 2020 Giannis defensively is a situation of either deployment (if someone could link me to the article on this one that’d be great) or RS effort, it’s the same player and there isn’t much different from an ability standpoint that would make me thing he was worse as a player on that end

It’s hard to get proof for his defense stepping up in the playoffs aside from his raw impact stats on that end seeming a bit better

In any case, I think if you view 2021 or 2022 Giannis as defensively the same as his 2020 or 2019 season, you can make a sufficient argument for him being in a really high tier, and people are already high on his offense
trelos6
Junior
And1: 146

Post#10 » by trelos6 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:52 pm

Lots of great options at 3.

Curry 2017, KG 2004, Shaq 2000, Hakeem 94, Kareem 77, Bird 86, Duncan 2003.

It will be a tough decision for #3
ceoofkobefans
Junior
And1: 209

Post#11 » by ceoofkobefans » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:59 am

Going to do as I did last time and be lazy by copy pasting my expos for the first two spots since my opinions haven’t changed in a day

3. 2000 Shaquille O’Neal

Top 6 scoring peak to me. Probably a top 10 playmaking big peak (haven’t made a list but I’d imagine having the goat gravity and off ball movement from a big is enough to get him there) being extremely portable and a strong defender makes him hard to stop. He’s shooting almost 80% at the rim (if not in the 80s) in a league where the average rim FG% isn’t even in the 60s while constantly being doubled and tripled. Just an insane offensive peak

4. 1994 Hakeem Olajuwon

Although this arguably isn’t his peak on O or D I think it’s his best combination of scoring playmaking defense and portability. Hakeem’s RS metrics don’t look the best but he’s one of the biggest PO risers ever and his multi year PO metrics (I prefer multi year over single year metrics in the PO) look significantly better and they make a top 4 placement look much more reasonable. In 1994 he was a much more willing passer and didn’t miss very many basic reads like he did in the previous years (and made the occasional advanced read as well) and he was a great scorer as always and while he regressed as a defender he was still very clearly and all time defender and I don’t know how many defensive seasons there are better than 94 Hakeem outside of his own and BR’s. He was also a better Off ball player and more willing off the ball in 1994. I would like to watch a little bit more film to confirm if I’m overrating him but I think that 4 is a very fair sport for his peak

5. 1977 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

5 is where the list really starts to get hard for me. I can see 03 TD and 67 Wilt here as well as 77 Kareem. Firstly I’ll explain why I chose specifically 77 Kareem then why Kareem > wilt and Duncan

77 Kareem is Kareem’s best year as a scorer by quite a decent margin Imo. This is probably the peak of the skyhook (by far his most used shot) And 77 is when Kareem really started implementing other things into his arsenal. He added a spin move (which usually lead into hooks but also into layups/dunks) and every now and then would shoot a fadeaway jumper. He started to improve as a post passer (although would peak there in 1980) and this is his peak defensively during his actual peak (77–80) and while he was better on D in Milwaukee, the offensive gap makes up for it.

Now I can see arguments for TD and wilt over Kareem but I think that Kareem’s scoring triumphs TD and wilts best attribute (their defense) and all 3 are pretty equal in terms of all around game. I like Shaq as a playmaker more than Kareem and Shaq is significantly better off the ball and is much more portable. Kareems biggest flaw was that he had a tendency to sit in the post and not move much. he got into position decently well (which helped him as an offensive rebounder) but he didn’t do it too much and he wasn’t nearly as good At it as someone like Shaq was. Hakeem I think provides more two way ability and being an elite offensive player + the best non BR defender ever arguably in 1994 is just hard to beat (although I see the arguments for Kareem > Hakeem as well as The other 2)
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#12 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:28 am

So, I got a request to talk about 2022 & 2021 Curry in comparison to 2017.

Basically: What if Curry is a legit better all around, and more resilient, player than he was in the past, he just had a cold stretch this year?

And I'll add, because I oversimplify here:

I think you can argue that that things like Curry's extra attention to defense may well tire him out and make him more cold streak prone, and that's then just a real thing to weigh going forward...but if Curry seemed to be better able to reach a top gear now, why not pick the older Curry over the younger?

Some thoughts:

1. There may come a time in the future when I'm ready to say that Curry now is just plain better than he was back during the Barnes & KD eras, because I think that veterans figuring out how to bulletproof themselves for the toughest situations is a real thing and it's not that I question that Curry's been working to just that and it's been effective, it's that I'm not sure whether in the overall he's a better player than he was when he was younger given that is when he not only had the best individual stats, but led the best teams.

2. 2020-21 is such an interesting wrinkle because yeah, if all we ever saw was that regular season followed by this post-season, I think there'd be a strong, strong push to make that the Curry year of choice, but because Curry didn't play in the playoffs that year, it just doesn't feel appropriate to pick that year even though statistically, once the team was free of Oubre ennui, Curry was legendary.

3. I think it's important not to mistake Curry making a breakthrough in front of us in 2022, with that being the actual moment of the breakthrough in his play. I think the reality is that immediately after the 2016 finals, Curry was working on the things that held him back in those finals, and developing his plan then for how he'd overcome analogous future situations. And this is why I've always said that one of my regrets about Durant going to the Warriors, is that we didn't get to see Curry tested again the following year.

I think there's a grand irony here that because of the way our analysis builds on top of itself, Curry essentially went from 2016 to 2022 without being able to have his next chance in a roughly comparable scenario, and thus spent a half decade failing to do the thing he needed to do to elevate respect for his playoff game up to the top tiers of NBA history and thus effectively "continuing to lose" in assessments the entire time despite winning 2 more championships and coming really close to another in 2019 that the team has no business competing in with the injuries that hit them.

This to say, I'm really not sure that it's '21-22, or even in the 2020s where Curry elevated himself in this way. I think there's a distinct possibility it's been there since '16-17, when he was busy being the MVP of the greatest team in history and at the very least being in roughly the same body that had arguably the GOAT regular season the previous year. And all of this effectively makes me settle in on '16-17 as the most likely peak of Curry, as best I can tell at this time.

SickMother
Senior
And1: 610

Post#13 » by SickMother » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:29 am

01 Kareem 70-71: 29.0 PER | .696 TS% | 121 TS+ | 22.3 WS | .326 WS/48
01 Kareem 70-71 Playoffs?!?: 25.3 PER | .548 TS% | 3.3 WS | .271 WS/48
[maybe thee most dominant regular season ever, couldn't quite maintain that pace in the playoffs but still posted the highest PER and WS in the postseason en route to a 12-2 playoff record & youngest FMVP ever at that point]

02 Wilt 66-67: 26.5 PER | .637 TS% | 129 TS+ | 21.9 WS | .285 WS/48
02 Wilt 66-67 Playoffs?!?: 25.3 PER | .546 TS% | 3.8 WS | .253 WS/48
[pretty much the same story as Kareem above, but just a notch below for me. Best RS of all time candidate, some playoff falloff but still the highest PER & WS in the postseason field & a pretty smooth 11-4 cruise on the way to finally winning it all.]

03 Duncan 02-03: 26.9 PER | .564 TS% | 109 TS+ | 16.5 WS | .248 WS/48
03 Duncan 02-03 Playoffs?!?: 28.4 PER | .577 TS% | 5.9 WS | .279 WS/48
[didn't quite dominate the regular season to the same extent that KAJ or Wilt above him did, but Timmy kicked his game into another gear for the playoffs posting the highest single postseason Win Share total of all time.]
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,755

Post#14 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:35 am

Doctor MJ wrote:So, I got a request to talk about 2022 & 2021 Curry in comparison to 2017.

Basically: What if Curry is a legit better all around, and more resilient, player than he was in the past, he just had a cold stretch this year?

I think you can argue that that things like Curry's extra attention to defense may well tire him out and make him more cold streak prone, and that's then just a real thing to weigh going forward...but if Curry seemed to be better able to reach a top gear now, why not pick the older Curry over the younger?

Some thoughts:

1. There may come a time in the future when I'm ready to say that Curry now is just plain better than he was back during the Barnes & KD eras, because I think that veterans figuring out how to bulletproof themselves for the toughest situations is a real thing and it's not that I question that Curry's been working to just that and it's been effective, it's that I'm not sure whether in the overall he's a better player than he was when he was younger given that is when he not only had the best individual stats, but led the best teams.

2. 2020-21 is such an interesting wrinkle because yeah, if all we ever saw was that regular season followed by this post-season, I think there'd be a strong, strong push to make that the Curry year of choice, but because Curry didn't play in the playoffs that year, it just doesn't feel appropriate to pick that year even though statistically, once the team was free of Oubre ennui, Curry was legendary.

3. I think it's important not to mistake Curry making a breakthrough in front of us in 2022, with that being the actual moment of the breakthrough in his play. I think the reality is that immediately after the 2016 finals, Curry was working on the things that held him back in those finals, and developing his plan then for how he'd overcome analogous future situations. And this is why I've always said that one of my regrets about Durant going to the Warriors, is that we didn't get to see Curry tested again the following year.

I think there's a grand irony here that because of the way our analysis builds on top of itself, Curry essentially went from 2016 to 2022 without being able to have his next chance in a roughly comparable scenario, and thus spent a half decade failing to do the thing he needed to do to elevate respect for his playoff game up to the top tiers of NBA history and thus effectively "continuing to lose" in assessments the entire time despite winning 2 more championships and coming really close to another in 2019 that the team has no business competing in with the injuries that hit them.

This to say, I'm really not sure that it's '21-22, or even in the 2020s where Curry elevated himself in this way. I think there's a distinct possibility it's been there since '16-17, when he was busy being the MVP of the greatest team in history and at the very least being in roughly the same body that had arguably the GOAT regular season the previous year. And all of this effectively makes me settle in on '16-17 as the most likely peak of Curry, as best I can tell at this time.

Ben Taylor talked about this on his most recent podcast and he said if you believe Steph to be like a 43% shooter from 3 (and what we saw this year was just a cold spell), then he believes that this year with Steph would have a real argument as his peak.

He thinks this is his best passing season since like 15. He said in another podcast, he has been playing the best defense of his career. He also believes Curry's handle is tighter than ever and his strength allows him to not get bumped off his spot as easily while dribbling.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#15 » by homecourtloss » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:11 am

1977 Kareem. This is peak offensive Kareem who was still impactful defensively. The efficacy of his scoring offense with such little variance from game to game probably makes it the most reliable scoring offense of any peak. If only that 1977 team had a semblance of a decent supporting cast, this season would be remembered differently,
(1974 Kareem)
(1972 Kareem)

2000 Shaq. His best regular season and great PS run. Great effort on defense. One of his lower FTr during the regular season. Imagine if he had a higher one (though higher ones later related to hack a Shaq strategies) and had a decent FT shooting season.
(2001 Shaq)
(2002 Shaq)
(1998 Shaq)

1967, Wilt. Played differently than in previous year to devastating effect. He changed shot selection, played more of a power game, scored or was fouled, FT% wasn’t good or he’d be even more effective offensively, dominated defensively and was a very good playmaker.
(1964 Wilt)
(1968 Wilt)
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Proxy
Sophomore
And1: 192

Post#16 » by Proxy » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:21 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:So, I got a request to talk about 2022 & 2021 Curry in comparison to 2017.

Some thoughts:

Ben Taylor talked about this on his most recent podcast and he said if you believe Steph to be like a 43% shooter from 3 (and what we saw this year was just a cold spell), then he believes that this year with Steph would have a real argument as his peak.

He thinks this is his best passing season since like 15. He said in another podcast, he has been playing the best defense of his career. He also believes Curry's handle is tighter than ever and his strength allows him to not get bumped off his spot as easily while dribbling.

It's unfortunate that Steph is one year too late from having 2023 make it's way onto this list :)
AEnigma wrote:Arf arf.

trex_8063 wrote:Calling someone a stinky turd is not acceptable.
PLEASE stop doing that.

One_and_Done wrote:I mean, how would you feel if the NBA traced it's origins to an 1821 league of 3 foot dwarves who performed in circuses?
letskissbro
Rookie
And1: 1,412

Post#17 » by letskissbro » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:26 am

Could someone lay out the argument for 2017 as Curry's peak vs 2016? I just don't see him being better that year unless it's got to do with health.

I'm aware that he peaked in many APM stats in 2017 but personally I try not to rely on +/- stats so much because they're so heavily influenced by team context. Over large, multi-year sample sizes that encompass different team situations they can absolutely give you an idea of a player's intangible impact, but over a single season there's still so much room for variance.

I like to evaluate players from a skillset POV and watching Steph that year he didn't feel like a better player than he was in 2016 at all. He was maybe slightly better as a defender but as a point guard that isn't really gonna make a huge dent and his shot making was a far cry from what it was in 2016. In real time I actually thought it was a pretty weak RS from him until Golden State's 15 game run without KD at the end of the year.

As for his postseason I view it as an outlier for him in the same way I don't think 09 LeBron had a switch where he could become a 45% from midrange, 37 PER player at will. For that same reason I'm also probably more forgiving of Steph's 2016 postseason than most. Even as unbelievable as he is, as a shooter, Steph is more prone to variance than other all time greats, which is why it's hard to take any 10-15 game sample as his "true" level of play, if that makes sense. His 2018, 2019, and 2022 runs are probably closer to what you can expect from him on average come playoff time.

Then you can get into how favorable his circumstances were. The talent gap between Golden State and everyone else was just comical, and the three teams he faced in the west all had their best defenders (Nurkic, Gobert, Kawhi) either missing or hobbled. In the finals the Cavaliers were the 27th ranked defense and JR and Kyrie, two notoriously boneheaded defenders, made miscommunication after miscommunication which torpedoed the Cavs. Not to say that it was completely unrelated to Steph's gravity, but I recently rewatched some games from that series they were making the same dumb mistakes over and over again defending Iguodala and KD in transition with Steph not even on the court. They defended him well the year before so more than anything it felt like they were overwhelmed by Golden State's firepower as a whole.

Was there a change to his approach on offense that I might've missed? Was his movement off the ball especially crisp that year or something? Even so, I don't think player's intangibles typically vary season to season as much as people pretend they do to justify what the +/- stats are telling them. People love to say the box score doesn't matter but that simply isn't true when it comes to comparing players to themselves playing the same role just a season ago.

FTR I've got no problem with Curry's peak being ranked highly (I wouldn't go as high as top 5 though) it's just that I view 2015, 2017, and 2018 all similarly and a clear tier down from 2016.
Doctor MJ wrote:I like the analogy with Curry as Coca-Cola. And then I'd say Iverson was Lean.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#18 » by JordansBulls » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:02 am

1. Kareem 1971 (won league and finals mvp) for the franchise that drafted him.

2. Hakeem 1994 (won league, finals mvp, DPOY) for a franchise that drafted him

3. Duncan 2003 (same as above but not as great as those guys)
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#19 » by falcolombardi » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:20 am

JordansBulls wrote:1. Kareem 1971 (won league and finals mvp) for the franchise that drafted him.

2. Hakeem 1994 (won league, finals mvp, DPOY) for a franchise that drafted him

3. Duncan 2003 (same as above but not as great as those guys)

What makes duncan not so great as those two?
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Post#20 » by Dutchball97 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:09 am

By the time I've finally decided which Kareem season I see as his peak he'll likely have been voted in already. So I've got 2000 Shaq and 1967 Wilt as my first two choices on my ballot and I expected to go with 1971 Kareem as my third choice but I'm not so sure. With these top level seasons I think there is very little seperating them so I'm looking for the most complete season with the least amount of flaws. Kareem won MVP in 1971 as the clear best player in the regular season and went on a dominant run to the title. The thing is I'm not as impressed by his post-season run anymore as that Bucks team was very stacked, while the opposition they faced was extremely lackluster. This might just be the easiest road to a ring ever. The Warriors and Bullets were middling teams, while the Lakers were good but were without West AND Baylor that year. Somehow Kareem still managed to take a step down from his regular season form. It seems to be between 71 and 77 looking at the votes so far but I'm also much lower on 77 than most. It's just one of those seasons like 62 Wilt, 88 MJ and 09 LeBron where we're faced with complete outlier statistical (boxscore) impact where the results don't match the dominance. I've been vocal about Wilt's insane volume scoring early in his career not always being the best way to go about winning as a team and with 1977 Kareem getting swept by the Blazers I'm just questioning whether they couldn't have made it at least a bit more competitive. Just like how I downgrade 09 LeBron because I don't think the 09 Magic team wad this unbeatable juggernaut like the 60s Celtics, MJ Bulls or Curry/KD Warriors, I don't see the 1977 Blazers as such an impossibly good team that of course Kareem at his best couldn't take a game off them. There is an argument to be made that similarly like Jokic this season, Kareem had just about no help but we have seasons from Hakeem and Duncan where they had little help and still won the title while beating good teams along the way.

1974 and 1980 aren't as spectacular in the regular season but overall I think they might be more complete seasons than either 71 or 77. I'm really pulling a brainmuscle here to find an answer for a question that will be answered by the time I've got there but it just goes to show that Kareem is such a problematic player to pick a peak for as someone who judges peak by best season.

I'll post my ballot in a bit but I'm still not quite sure who to pick as my 3rd guy. It's probably between 94 Hakeem and 03 Duncan but I'm looking at 64 Russell (biggest defensive impact anyone has had, he played a ton more minutes than anyone else on the team and beat the toughest competition in the play-offs convincingly but even by Russell's standards this was not a good offensive year), 65 Russell (almost just as big of a defensive impact as 64 but with noticeably better offense but faced less competition in the post-season with the 76ers still incorporating Wilt and the Lakers without Baylor) and 86 Bird (not nearly as much of a defensive force as Duncan, Hakeem and Russell but still a positive there while being the clear best offensive player out of them, he won MVP by a landslide followed up by a dominant title run through strong teams but did have quite a lot of help, maybe even more than Russell considering minutes played by teammates).

Return to Player Comparisons