Magic Johnson and Larry Bird
74%

Total votes: 23

durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,168

KD and Kawhi vs Magic and Bird 

Post#1 » by durantbird » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:56 am

Which dou would you rather build around?
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Re: KD and Kawhi vs Magic and Bird 

Post#2 » by No-more-rings » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:10 am

Anyone picking KD and Kawhi have some explaining to do. Bird and Magic both are more durable and have higher peaks.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#3 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:34 am

If both are healthy I’m assuming right?
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
Ginoboleee
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#4 » by Ginoboleee » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:20 pm

No-more-rings wrote:Anyone picking KD and Kawhi have some explaining to do. Bird and Magic both are more durable and have higher peaks.

Yeah, and they are also better too.

Starting a team for 5-on-5? This one is clear.

But for playing a game of 2-on-2? Then the answer flips.
Life it is not just a series of calculations and a sum total of statistics, it's about experience, it's about participation, it is something more complex and more interesting than what is obvious.
Libeskind

Statistics are no substitute for judgment.
Clay
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#5 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:39 pm

Ginoboleee wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:Anyone picking KD and Kawhi have some explaining to do. Bird and Magic both are more durable and have higher peaks.

Kawhi and durant would be absurd 2 on 2 lol, I can’t think of many combos I’d put ahead of them
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

Ginoboleee
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#6 » by Ginoboleee » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:47 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Ginoboleee wrote:

Kawhi and durant would be absurd 2 on 2 lol, I can’t think of many combos I’d put ahead of them

You should start a thread!
(I'm a noob - I'll just get ignored.)

1 on 1, who you got?
2 on 2, who you got?
3 on 3, who you got?
4 on 4, who you got?
Ten players total.
Fun wrinkle would be that you have to choose 10 different players, no repeats.

Hey, in hockey don't they do something like take a player off the floor in overtime or something like that?
It would be comedy if in regular season NBA, the first overtime is 4 on 4, and if a second overtime were required it would be 3 on 3, etc. etc.
Life it is not just a series of calculations and a sum total of statistics, it's about experience, it's about participation, it is something more complex and more interesting than what is obvious.
Libeskind

Statistics are no substitute for judgment.
Clay
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,787

Post#7 » by uberhikari » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:48 pm

Magic and Bird.

Kawhi will never be a top 30 player. He's already missed 2 FULL prime seasons to injury (2018 and 2022) and has had two deep playoff runs ruined by injury (2017 and 2021). In the last 7 years, Kawhi has only played 3 full seasons including playoffs: 2016, 2019, and 2020. 2016 was a good run but before he reached his offensive peak. In 2019 he had one of the highest peaks ever. But in 2020 he choked a 3-1 lead in the WCSF. So, Kawhi has 1 all-time playoff run in his entire career.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#8 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:12 pm

KD and Kawhi.

I don't think you squeeze the most out of Magic and Larry by sticking them together. Magic Johnson needs the ball in his hands to be Magic Johnson. Without it he's just Earvin Johnson.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Proxy
Sophomore
And1: 192

Post#9 » by Proxy » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:03 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:KD and Kawhi.

I don't think you squeeze the most out of Magic and Larry by sticking them together. Magic Johnson needs the ball in his hands to be Magic Johnson. Without it he's just Earvin Johnson.

I don't think Bird would be taking the ball out of Magic's hands as much as you might think tbh, he's such a great off ball player and only took a split second to make decisions. Magic was also fine with playing alongside a bunch of other player archetypes(like post scorers), they might be even less of a redundancy on offense than KD and Kawhi tbh. The defense is way more concerning
AEnigma wrote:Arf arf.

trex_8063 wrote:Calling someone a stinky turd is not acceptable.
PLEASE stop doing that.

One_and_Done wrote:I mean, how would you feel if the NBA traced it's origins to an 1821 league of 3 foot dwarves who performed in circuses?
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,840

Post#10 » by OhayoKD » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:08 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:KD and Kawhi.

larry bird barely touched the ball.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#11 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:12 pm

Magic and Bird would both work together and dominate like few other duos would imo. With them I think they would win a title every year they were healthy(which was pretty much every year of their primes on top of 82 games in the rs). With Kawhi and KD I'm not so sure they win even when healthy due to poor/passive leadership & general discontent and then you have Kawhi's missed games/injuries on top of that.
ivorytower
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#12 » by ivorytower » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:41 pm

There's way more overlap with the KD/Kawhi pairing, and you definitely still need a lead playmaker on that team. Pretty easily Magic and Bird here.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by OhayoKD » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:28 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:Magic and Bird would both work together and dominate like few other duos would imo. With them I think they would win a title every year they were healthy(which was pretty much every year of their primes on top of 82 games in the rs). With Kawhi and KD I'm not so sure they win even when healthy due to poor/passive leadership & general discontent and then you have Kawhi's missed games/injuries on top of that.

is kawhi a poor leader? i think kawhi's quiet approach works well and kd won't really need to do anything but ball. KD will also be the secondary focus of the defense, so he can probably do what he did at gsw as long as they get a good playmaker. Kawhi's also a strong defensive wing and kd's pretty solid so it shouldn't be too hard to build a great defense and offense around them.

OTOH, i think your defense is going to be problematic if you have bird and magic in your lineup. Also don't think bird's scoring(especially shooting) translates very well here which is a problem when magic is going to be trying to pressure the rim to score/create.

I go with kd and kawhi pretty easily tbh, even if kd is not as good of a peak relative to era.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#14 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:13 pm

OhayoKD wrote:is kawhi a poor leader? i think kawhi's quiet approach works well and kd won't really need to do anything but ball. KD will also be the secondary focus of the defense, so he can probably do what he did at gsw as long as they get a good playmaker. Kawhi's also a strong defensive wing and kd's pretty solid so it shouldn't be too hard to build a great defense and offense around them.

OTOH, i think your defense is going to be problematic if you have bird and magic in your lineup. Also don't think bird's scoring(especially shooting) translates very well here which is a problem when magic is going to be trying to pressure the rim to score/create.

I go with kd and kawhi pretty easily tbh, even if kd is not as good of a peak relative to era.

I would say he is. I was sort of open to see what he could do as a Clipper but if you recall his first season there thhey had major locker room issues which were in large part due to him and then after that they continueed to have chemistry issues on top of him sitting out so manny games and the 3-1 collapse to the Nuggets where thy lost 2 games I think after getting near 30 pt leads. So imo Kawhi is a poor leader. There are quiet guys who I considere to be good leaders(such as Duncan and Kareem to some degree) but Kawhi isn't one of them.
Regarding defense, I don't think Magic and Bird are bad defenders and that it wouldn't be hard at all to havee good defensive teams built around them. Nearly every team they played on was top 10 defensively if not top 3.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by OhayoKD » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:19 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
OhayoKD wrote:is kawhi a poor leader? i think kawhi's quiet approach works well and kd won't really need to do anything but ball. KD will also be the secondary focus of the defense, so he can probably do what he did at gsw as long as they get a good playmaker. Kawhi's also a strong defensive wing and kd's pretty solid so it shouldn't be too hard to build a great defense and offense around them.

I would say he is. I was sort of open to see what he could do as a Clipper but if you recall his first season there thhey had major locker room issues which were in large part due to him and then after that they continueed to have chemistry issues on top of him sitting out so manny games and the 3-1 collapse to the Nuggets where thy lost 2 games I think after getting near 30 pt leads. So imo Kawhi is a poor leader. There are quiet guys who I considere to be good leaders(such as Duncan and Kareem to some degree) but Kawhi isn't one of them.
Regarding defense, I don't think Magic and Bird are bad defenders and that it wouldn't be hard at all to havee good defensive teams built around them. Nearly every team they played on was top 10 defensively if not top 3.

i'd say magic/bird were nuetral for their era, but rn when they're probably being played as bigs with a spaced out floor, i think they're definite negatives. Even in the 80's teams like the pistons were able to hunt him to get layups and easy 2's. Think you've got real ptoblems with two bigger players who don't have good lateral agility and can't really protect the paint.

what lockeroom issues did kawhi cause witht he clippers? was it the load management thing?
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#16 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:24 pm

OhayoKD wrote:i'd say magic/bird were nuetral for their era, but rn when they're probably being played as bigs with a spaced out floor, i think they're definite negatives. Even in the 80's teams like the pistons were able to hunt him to get layups and easy 2's. Think you've got real ptoblems with two bigger players who don't have good lateral agility and can't really protect the paint.

what lockeroom issues did kawhi cause witht he clippers? was it the load management thing?

With regard to Bird, his defense definitely drops off after like 84 or 85 but I'm not sure we can assume he has the same injuriees if he starts out as a rookie today seeing as we have better medical treatments, star players play far less minutes and get load management, then also make far more money so I think Bird is more likely to shell out 10 grand for a new driveway for his mom than do it himself. All of that also has to be taken into account.
Regarding Kawhi, there were issues ovre he and PG getting preferential treeatment and being very stand offish with teammates. It created a toxic environment and we saw how it played out.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#17 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:42 pm

Ginoboleee wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:
Ginoboleee wrote:

You should start a thread!
(I'm a noob - I'll just get ignored.)

1 on 1, who you got?
2 on 2, who you got?
3 on 3, who you got?
4 on 4, who you got?
Ten players total.
Fun wrinkle would be that you have to choose 10 different players, no repeats.

Hey, in hockey don't they do something like take a player off the floor in overtime or something like that?
It would be comedy if in regular season NBA, the first overtime is 4 on 4, and if a second overtime were required it would be 3 on 3, etc. etc.

The contingency of Michael Beasley being a top 3 player in the nba in the 4th overtime would be hilarious

JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#18 » by JordansBulls » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:50 am

Magic and Bird not sure how it is debatable
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan

Return to Player Comparisons