2022-23 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,484

2022-23 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:36 pm

Oh, I'd say it's time for a new thread for a new season now that we're talking about all-stars changing teams.

Sources: Atlanta Hawks acquire guard Dejounte Murray from San Antonio Spurs for three first-round picks, Danilo Gallinari

Happy New Year!
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,547

Re: 2022-23 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:51 pm

Good trade for San Antonio and Atlanta. This is a also good for Murray. Trades can be positive sum and this is an example of one.

I saw that report about Ayton not getting along with Paul. It goes to show intelligence doesn't allow one to easily change their personality. On an intellectual level I'm sure Paul, a shrewd guy, knows a lot of people have disliked him over the years and the reasons for that. But he just can't change who he is.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,830

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:53 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:Good trade for San Antonio and Atlanta. This is a also good for Murray. Trades can be positive sum and this is an example of one.

Yeah, few guards fit better next to Trae than Murray.

Someone on the T&T board said they think Murray is a poor 3rd option and most optimized as a 4th option :banghead:
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,830

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:57 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:I saw that report about Ayton not getting along with Paul. It goes to show intelligence doesn't allow one to easily change their personality. On an intellectual level I'm sure Paul, a shrewd guy, knows a lot of people have disliked him over the years and the reasons for that. But he just can't change who he is.

I agree. I view CP3 similar to Jordan in multiple ways, but the attitude/ego part especially.

I also think Ayton is in a weird place--he was drafted over Luka and will forever be compared to Luka. He is on a team where he is a 3rd/4th/5th option and doesn't see himself earning a max contract in that particular role [See Brunson next to Luka].
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#5 » by parsnips33 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:01 pm

Hopefully this season ends as nicely as the last one 8-)

Just need Bob to bring Looney and Payton back so I can feel at ease. Otto would be nice, but I expect he'll be on the move and I think he should be easier to replace
ivorytower
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#6 » by ivorytower » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:02 pm

I worry a bit about this trade for the Hawks. On paper, a good defensive guard like Dejounte is exactly who you want next to Trae. Giving up multiple unprotected firsts for a guy who is really maximized offensively with the ball in his hands is risky IMO, unless they have full faith Trae can develop more of an off-ball game as well.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#7 » by RCM88x » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:02 pm

Another season another Kings head scratcher...

High volatility move from the Hawks, still don't see this team as a true contender but it definitely takes some load off Trae which was needed.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Dooley
Sophomore
And1: 131

Post#8 » by Dooley » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:20 pm

Good trade for both sides.

Interesting question now is whether the Hawks still intend to move on from Collins. It'd probably be a good idea for them to add another SF - I definitely wouldn't want to have to rely on Hunter making a big leap forward if I were them - but IDK what plausible trade is actually out there or how much interest teams actually have in Collins.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#9 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:27 pm

I have a lot more reservations about this trade from the Hawks' side when they're giving away unprotected picks well into the future for just an All-Star caliber player, not a franchise guy.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#10 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:36 pm

Colbinii wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:I saw that report about Ayton not getting along with Paul. It goes to show intelligence doesn't allow one to easily change their personality. On an intellectual level I'm sure Paul, a shrewd guy, knows a lot of people have disliked him over the years and the reasons for that. But he just can't change who he is.

I agree. I view CP3 similar to Jordan in multiple ways, but the attitude/ego part especially.

I'd see it slightly different. Jordan is an abusive bully. He was tolerated only because he was clearly the best player in the world. If he was only as good at basketball as Dejounte Murrey, a fine basketball player, he would have bounced out of the league before 30 and gotten his ass kicked multiple times.

Paul isn't a bully. He is a smarter basketball player than Jordan. But his intelligence focuses almost exclusively on identfying mistakes and eliminating them. He feels the best method of elimination is by constantly carping on people. He is the quintessential micromanager who can't help but eliminate joy from their co-workers. Eventually they all realize no matter what they do there will be some perceived flaw that will result in a 30 minute lecture, Even if Paul is right no wants to listen to that.

Colbinii wrote:I also think Ayton is in a weird place--he was drafted over Luka and will forever be compared to Luka. He is on a team where he is a 3rd/4th/5th option and doesn't see himself earning a max contract in that particular role [See Brunson next to Luka].

Ayton is a very good player who can help a lot of teams. I hope people can start focusing on that and stop comparing him to a clearly superior player. I also hope his co-workers and mgmt., long ago stopped comparing him to Luka.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#11 » by parsnips33 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:10 pm

I like the Murray move for Atlanta because I'm increasingly becoming convinced one of the best ways to create an offense is to have as many point guards on the floor as possible. Obviously size on the defensive end becomes an issue, which is why big point guards are so valuable.
ivorytower
Sophomore

Post#12 » by ivorytower » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:29 pm

Dooley wrote:Good trade for both sides.

Interesting question now is whether the Hawks still intend to move on from Collins. It'd probably be a good idea for them to add another SF - I definitely wouldn't want to have to rely on Hunter making a big leap forward if I were them - but IDK what plausible trade is actually out there or how much interest teams actually have in Collins.

Per Woj, they do intend to trade him, but considering they've attempted to trade him multiple times in the past I think it's clear teams don't value him that highly. He's an awkward archetype for a team that really wants to compete, so it's really the middling or bad teams that might want him.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#13 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:43 am

Read on Twitter

Sometimes I have to remind myself, "no, most fans don't care what a backup center shot on floaters, let alone know who hartenstein is" lol

I've heard the clippers probably can't afford him after bringing in wall. Would be a solid pickup for another team.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#14 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:06 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sometimes I have to remind myself, "no, most fans don't care what a backup center shot on floaters, let alone know who hartenstein is" lol

I've heard the clippers probably can't afford him after bringing in wall. Would be a solid pickup for another team.

The OJ Simpson jury was sequestered and couldn't watch live tv. They get to watch copies. During one of the tv nights, one of jurors asked to watch Seinfeld. One of the jurors said "what's a Seinfeld?"
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#15 » by MyUniBroDavis » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:33 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

The OJ Simpson jury was sequestered and couldn't watch live tv. They get to watch copies. During one of the tv nights, one of jurors asked to watch Seinfeld. One of the jurors said "what's a Seinfeld?"

Huh?
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,694

Post#16 » by Peregrine01 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:05 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Denver should get him. He’s one of the best rim protectors at the 4.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,534

Post#17 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:29 am

Despite what the Spurs roster now is I'll believe they can actually be bad instead of having the 7th-9th pick when I see it
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,534

Post#18 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:43 am

Lakers getting DDV would be a game changer for them
ivorytower
Sophomore

Post#19 » by ivorytower » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:03 am

Bridges arrested for felony domestic violence, the woman needed medical attention and he turned himself in. Hopefully she's ok...

Some horrible judgment and behavior from Bridges lately.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#20 » by falcolombardi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:02 am

I like kcp for nuggets, but i wonder about mpj back ever being healthy again

Return to Player Comparisons