5 year plus-minus of various all-time nba peaks(Feat. Shaq, Lebron, Jordan, Robinson and Curry)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

f4p
Pro Prospect
And1: 921

Re: 5 year plus-minus of various all-time nba peaks(Feat. Shaq, Lebron, Jordan, Robinson and Curry) 

Post#301 » by f4p » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:51 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
f4p wrote:again, this probably makes it a perfect microcosm. in a game where team USA was slicing through spain like a hot knife through butter and spain was close because they were just a slightly less hot knife themselves, when it was close in the 4th was it because suddenly everyone was scared but kobe? or was team USA probably going to keep scoring and it was just that kobe was always going to take a lot of shots if it got close, regardless of how his teammates felt, and possibly make them and possibly miss them? i would say pretty much any close game involves some nerves so maybe you could read that into the situation. but dwyane wade was a finals mvp who put up 27 points on 75% shooting in this very game and hit the clinching 3. lebron might have had a few more questions at this point in his career, but this is a guy with 25 points in a row against detroit and who was fresh off a 45 point game 7 right before the olympics. and kobe was fresh off a finals where he barely shot 40%. so it's not as if kobe was just there to show them how it was done in big games. but who knows, it was close and kobe hit a lot of shots to stay ahead of a red hot spain team and we won, so kudos to him.

I don't understand why all of this can't be true.

Yes, Wade was a FMVP and was playing great.
Yes, Lebron had already proven to be a generational talent and was playing great.
Yes, Kobe had just come off a Finals where he had failed vs. one of the better defensive juggernauts of that decade.
Yes, Kobe sacrificed during that Olympics.
Yes, Kobe shot poorly in the first three quarters of the gold medal game.
Yes, the moment got a little too big down the stretch for a bunch of USA stars, including Lebron and Wade, and Kobe bailed them out.

I just don't like these theoretical based arguments about what we think about guys based on their resume or whatever in order to re-write history. Let's just say what actually happened. The real story was good enough without the revision.

so i actually just went and watched the gold medal game, somewhat for this and also because i hadn't ever found it on youtube (uploaded in 2020 apparently). a couple of thoughts:

1) anyone who says team USA got a friendly whistle needs their head and/or eyes checked. if i'm being generous, it was even.

2) spain's shot-making was about as good as i remember.

3) if kobe was ball-hawking throughout the tournament and saving himself for defense, that definitely didn't happen here. spain moved the ball a lot and didn't really have a main ball handler to attack. there was very little, if any, ball-hawking by anybody.

4) the "everybody was scared so kobe took over" thing probably needs to die a quick and painless death. that doesn't mean kobe didn't play well in the 4th. he had 9 points before the wade "clincher" and then did add a floater to go up 8 with a minute left, but it wasn't some "get out of his way" takeover. the 4th quarter started with the US up 9 and then it was cut to 2 over 3 possessions. the 3 possessions for team USA? a fastbreak kick ahead to deron williams who got by the last defender and blew the layup anyway. a face up 3 from kobe himself that he missed. and a crosscourt pass from lebron to melo for a decently contested 3 that he missed. hardly the picture of a team where everyone didn't know what to do. and hardly any different than any other team USA possessions. just 3 bricks and the inability to get a stop.

the next possession was the one-legged runner from kobe i remember but then the rest of the game didn't look much different than anything that came before it. some other people scored and then kobe's next bucket was deron williams finding him absolutely wide open in the corner for a 3 where i'm not sure how spain lost him. again, not some iso takeover, just a spot up. then more back and forth, including a missed kobe 3, before the 4-point play by kobe which was set up by a drive and kick from wade i think, so also not exactly an iso while everyone was scared. then the wade 3 and some window dressing to end the game, including kobe and cp3 taking 4 straight techincal free throws with like 30 seconds left because spain was mad and got technicals i guess (no announcer). so a very nice 4th quarter? yes. but stepping up when everyone was scared. hard to see that from watching it again.

now to watch the 2012 gold medal game because that one might have been even crazier.
tone wone
Pro Prospect
And1: 578

Re: 5 year plus-minus of various all-time nba peaks(Feat. Shaq, Lebron, Jordan, Robinson and Curry) 

Post#302 » by tone wone » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:02 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
capfan33 wrote:3. Not just a new group/system, it was the worst healthy year of Lebron's prime where he had 0 half-court driving ability and as such his overall skillset/impact was muted. I don't think it's wrong to hold the year against Lebron, but it was an outlier.

I'm a little confused on this point. You acknowledge he was healthy but claim he had 0 half court driving ability when he's been widely considered one of the best drivers in basketball history.

The argument is that it was his worst healthy year because he was not as portable as some other stars. To give him credit, he improved his jump shot and off ball play (e.g. screening, fighting for post position, etc.) in the half court the following summer and so he became more portable, even though Miami effectively changed the offense back to Lebron ball that year anyway.

What does this even mean? Seriously, I need someone to tell me plainly what is Lebron-Ball. Stick to kobe and mj fanfic.
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I don’t think LeBron was as good a point guard as Mo Williams for the point guard play not counting the scoring threat. In other words in a non shooting Rondo like role Mo Williams would be better than LeBron.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#303 » by falcolombardi » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:20 pm

How did this thread become about olympics discussion lol
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,736

Post#304 » by VanWest82 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:43 pm

Last post about that gold medal game and then I'll drop it so this thread doesn't get derailed any further.
Spoiler:
Part of the reason Spain kept scoring was because of the all the defensive mistakes US was making. Lebron and Wade had some pretty egregious fouls flying into guys around the 7-8 min mark. And go watch that sequense just before the 6 min mark where Lebron just leaves his man wide open in the corner to chase the rebound, doesn't get it, and then still doesn't run out to the corner to contest the made three. And then he tried to blame it on Williams lol.

Meanwhile you have Kobe chasing guys around all over the place and making reads like at the 4:43 mark where he fights around the screen on the side PnR but Dwight steps up and leaves Gasol for an open dunk which Kobe reacts to instantly and somehow gets to the rim to reject him. Unbelievable.

Yes, Kobe took a bunch of hard shots in the 4th and missed some of them. The main thing I noticed was US was fine as long as it was an up and down game, but then once things slowed down it was apparent they didn't know how to break a zone. They needed Kobe's tough shot making. It was clear US was feeding off his confidence. Go watch the aftermath of his contested 3+1 aroudn the 3 min mark.

I will give you the questionable whistle - I especially liked Marc's elbow to Bosh's face that levelled him but went uncalled.

I'm not saying everyone else sucked and Kobe was great. I'm saying that some US guys seemed flummoxed at times in the 4th and Kobe had to make a bunch of really hard shots to put them over the top.
toodles23
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,442

Post#305 » by toodles23 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:55 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
capfan33 wrote:3. Not just a new group/system, it was the worst healthy year of Lebron's prime where he had 0 half-court driving ability and as such his overall skillset/impact was muted. I don't think it's wrong to hold the year against Lebron, but it was an outlier.

I'm a little confused on this point. You acknowledge he was healthy but claim he had 0 half court driving ability when he's been widely considered one of the best drivers in basketball history.

The argument is that it was his worst healthy year because he was not as portable as some other stars. To give him credit, he improved his jump shot and off ball play (e.g. screening, fighting for post position, etc.) in the half court the following summer and so he became more portable, even though Miami effectively changed the offense back to Lebron ball that year anyway.

Because he put on a lot of weight his first year in Miami and lost a **** load of quickness.

You have incredibly strong opinions about Lebron vs. Jordan, yet you somehow don't even know the most basic contours of Lebron's career? It was extremely obvious to anybody who watched Lebron that season.

The claim that Miami just "switched back to Lebron ball" is something you just made up. This is a strong claim that requires evidence to substantiate it.
VanWest82
RealGM

Post#306 » by VanWest82 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:26 pm

toodles23 wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:

Because he put on a lot of weight his first year in Miami and lost a **** load of quickness.

You have incredibly strong opinions about Lebron vs. Jordan, yet you somehow don't even know the most basic contours of Lebron's career? It was extremely obvious to anybody who watched Lebron that season.

The claim that Miami just "switched back to Lebron ball" is something you just made up. This is a strong claim that requires evidence to substantiate it.

It's funny you accuse me of making stuff up but you throw out completely unsubstantiated conjecture about some hypothetical weight gain (and then loss). I'm not buying the "Lebron was fat" argument. It was more like he didn't always have his rhythm because he'd never played so much without the ball.

As for the Heat altering their offense away from dualing banjos with Wade to one focused more on Lebron with the ball in his hands, I'll let Wade describe it to you: https://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/7929717/nba-playoffs-wade-huge-sacrifice-lebron

"I just had some time to sit back and think a lot," Wade said. "I just realized what we're playing for, and what I'm playing for.

"LeBron is probably the most talented player we've seen in a while, but how good can we be? Are we going to be good if me and him are both scoring 27 a night? Yeah, we're gonna be good, but it would be too much, 'OK, it's your turn, now it's your turn.'

"I wanted to give him the opportunity where he didn't have to think about that. It's kind of like I told him, 'Listen, I'll find my way. Don't worry about me. I'll be there. But you go out and be the player that we want you to be.'"

It's documented fact that Wade took a backseat starting in 2012 and that the Heat ran more through Lebron from that point forward.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,755

Post#307 » by LukaTheGOAT » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:27 pm

LeBron's 3 Year PS Offensive Load
(An estimate of the number of a player a player is “directly involved” in on offense every 100 possessions)

Cleveland
06-08: 51.4
07-09: 54.1
08-10: 55.8

Miami Heat
11-13: 45.7
12-14: 47.7

Lebron's Top Seasons in Usage Percentage
1. 09
2. 06
3. 08
4. 10
7. 2012 (Highest Usage Miami Season)

Lebron's top seasons in estimated front-court touches

1. 2006 Lebron
2. 2010 Lebron
3. 2009 Lebron

Read on Twitter

For someone who is considered to have peaked in Miami, he certainly seemed to have the ball in his hands quite a bit less than his Cleveland days. I don't see why if Miami was running, "Lebron Ball," why he would have the ball so much less compared to when he was a worst player.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#308 » by falcolombardi » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:43 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
toodles23 wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:I'm a little confused on this point. You acknowledge he was healthy but claim he had 0 half court driving ability when he's been widely considered one of the best drivers in basketball history.

It's funny you accuse me of making stuff up but you throw out completely unsubstantiated conjecture about some hypothetical weight gain (and then loss). I'm not buying the "Lebron was fat" argument. It was more like he didn't always have his rhythm because he'd never played so much without the ball.

As for the Heat altering their offense away from dualing banjos with Wade to one focused more on Lebron with the ball in his hands, I'll let Wade describe it to you: https://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/7929717/nba-playoffs-wade-huge-sacrifice-lebron

"I just had some time to sit back and think a lot," Wade said. "I just realized what we're playing for, and what I'm playing for.

"LeBron is probably the most talented player we've seen in a while, but how good can we be? Are we going to be good if me and him are both scoring 27 a night? Yeah, we're gonna be good, but it would be too much, 'OK, it's your turn, now it's your turn.'

"I wanted to give him the opportunity where he didn't have to think about that. It's kind of like I told him, 'Listen, I'll find my way. Don't worry about me. I'll be there. But you go out and be the player that we want you to be.'"

It's documented fact that Wade took a backseat starting in 2012 and that the Heat ran more through Lebron from that point forward.

People dont lose athletism because they are not accostumed to not being on-ball. And lebron body quite clearly doesnt move the same way in 2011 than it did in 2009

Wade taking a smaller role after 2011 and lebron playing more off ball are not contradictory statements

We dont need to rely on eye test, we have actual stats of lebron miami years compared to before, we know he took more catch and shoots, had less usage, less time of possesion among other thingha
toodles23
Assistant Coach

Post#309 » by toodles23 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:51 pm

VanWest82 wrote:It's funny you accuse me of making stuff up but you throw out completely unsubstantiated conjecture about some hypothetical weight gain (and then loss). I'm not buying the "Lebron was fat" argument. It was more like he didn't always have his rhythm because he'd never played so much without the ball.

:lol: Dude, are you blind? All it takes is one look at him to see that he was quite a bit bigger in Miami, and watching him that year it was blindingly obvious that he lost a ton of quickness compared to his Cleveland years. Not only that, but the fact that he was playing heavier is well documented. He wasn't "fat", but he put on weight.

You're basically declaring that your eye test is completely worthless and should be immediately dismissed if you can't see something this obvious. Do you also deny that Shaq was slower and heavier in his later Laker years than he was in Orlando? Do you deny that Jordan lost some athleticism and added weight by 1993 compared to 1988?

Also, the idea that he looked slow because he was "out of rhythm" and played too much off the ball is hilariously dumb.

Yes, thank you for shedding light on this obscure, arcane mystery. It was completely unknown that Wade took more of a backseat in 2012.

Wade taking more of a secondary role does not mean they suddenly started playing (completely nebulous, undefined) "Lebron ball". This claim would need to be backed up by stats like time of possession or usage rate along with a specific definition of what Lebron ball is.
VanWest82
RealGM

Post#310 » by VanWest82 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:07 pm

falcolombardi wrote:People dont lose athletism because they are not accostumed to not being on-ball. And lebron body quite clearly doesnt move the same way in 2011 than it did in 2009

Wade taking a smaller role after 2011 and lebron playing more off ball are not contradictory statements

We dont need to rely on eye test, we have actual stats of lebron miami years compared to before, we know he took more catch and shoots, had less usage, less time of possesion among other thingha

Ok and so why didn't this continue to translate post 2011 when Lebron was great again?

I'm not saying that he perhaps didn't lose something off his fastball between 2010 and 2011, but he sure seemed fine driving the ball in 2012 and 13 and 14 and...

Maybe his stats changed in 2011 not because he was so much slower but because it was the first time in his career he'd played with such a high USG teammate. His role was different. Then his role reverted back to something he was much more comfortable with the next year and every year since. And FWIW, Lebron was 26 in 2011, not 33 or whatever.

Edit: can you show me an article or admission or anything that would corroborate the notion that Lebron was injured or out of shape in 2011? I'm prepared to change my mind here but so far it just sounds like wild speculation. It looked way more like he was just passive and often deferring to Wade which is something they've actually acknowledged, unlike the "too big to drive" theory.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,755

Post#311 » by LukaTheGOAT » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:10 pm

VanWest82 wrote:Last post about that gold medal game and then I'll drop it so this thread doesn't get derailed any further.
Spoiler:
Part of the reason Spain kept scoring was because of the all the defensive mistakes US was making. Lebron and Wade had some pretty egregious fouls flying into guys around the 7-8 min mark. And go watch that sequense just before the 6 min mark where Lebron just leaves his man wide open in the corner to chase the rebound, doesn't get it, and then still doesn't run out to the corner to contest the made three. And then he tried to blame it on Williams lol.

Meanwhile you have Kobe chasing guys around all over the place and making reads like at the 4:43 mark where he fights around the screen on the side PnR but Dwight steps up and leaves Gasol for an open dunk which Kobe reacts to instantly and somehow gets to the rim to reject him. Unbelievable.

Yes, Kobe took a bunch of hard shots in the 4th and missed some of them. The main thing I noticed was US was fine as long as it was an up and down game, but then once things slowed down it was apparent they didn't know how to break a zone. They needed Kobe's tough shot making. It was clear US was feeding off his confidence. Go watch the aftermath of his contested 3+1 aroudn the 3 min mark.

I will give you the questionable whistle - I especially liked Marc's elbow to Bosh's face that levelled him but went uncalled.

I'm not saying everyone else sucked and Kobe was great. I'm saying that some US guys seemed flummoxed at times in the 4th and Kobe had to make a bunch of really hard shots to put them over the top.

No worries, you already did that.
VanWest82
RealGM

Post#312 » by VanWest82 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:13 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:Last post about that gold medal game and then I'll drop it so this thread doesn't get derailed any further.
Spoiler:

No worries, you already did that.

Actually, you did that, and you're still contributing to it by baiting me. And yes, further to my post, I am also guilty.
VanWest82
RealGM

Post#313 » by VanWest82 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:21 pm

Regardless of how Lebron "looked" in the 10/11 season, he didn't underperform and lose the 2011 Finals because he wasn't quite as quick on the drive. He lost because his jump shot wasn't good enough and because he didn't know how to give up the ball, find the mismatch, take them down into the post, and score. That's what worked on summer of 2011. That's what changed in his game. That's why he started winning titles.
capfan33
Senior
And1: 535

Post#314 » by capfan33 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:25 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
toodles23 wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:I'm a little confused on this point. You acknowledge he was healthy but claim he had 0 half court driving ability when he's been widely considered one of the best drivers in basketball history.

This is honestly the first time I've ever seen someone attribute Lebron's lack of driving ability in 2011 to playing in a new offensive system. I don't think this is a hill worth dying on, there are plenty of legitimate arguments about Lebron not meshing well with other top players to talk about. Like go watch 2010 Lebron highlights and compare them to 2011. You don't have to be Jerry West to see the difference.

And not to belabor the point, but the fact that you're even arguing this point in the first place makes me seriously question how much you know about Lebron. Also on top of this, even though it was Lebron's show after 2011 and Wade made it a point to tell him that, the offense itself actually became less Lebron-centric.

Spolestra somewhat infamously made Chalmers bring the ball up the floor a lot and initiate the offense to give the Heat offense more variety. He emphasized off-ball movement and added in more set plays, including set plays for Lebron without the ball.

Lebron very clearly became a much better off-ball cutter and shooter his last 3 years in Miami. He benefitted a lot from both the spot-ups and frequently cutting under the basket to get a deep-seal on his man to get free layups, that was a hallmark of his later Miami years. I would say that Miami was pretty clearly the least ball-dominant and most team-centric offense Lebron's ever played in.
toodles23
Assistant Coach

Post#315 » by toodles23 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:26 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:People dont lose athletism because they are not accostumed to not being on-ball. And lebron body quite clearly doesnt move the same way in 2011 than it did in 2009

Ok and so why didn't this continue to translate post 2011 when Lebron was great again?

I'm not saying that he perhaps didn't lose something off his fastball between 2010 and 2011, but he sure seemed fine driving the ball in 2012 and 13 and 14 and...

Maybe his stats changed in 2011 not because he was so much slower but because it was the first time in his career he'd played with such a high USG teammate. His role was different. Then his role reverted back to something he was much more comfortable with the next year and every year since. And FWIW, Lebron was 26 in 2011, not 33 or whatever.

Edit: can you show me an article or admission or anything that would corroborate the notion that Lebron was injured or out of shape in 2011? I'm prepared to change my mind here but so far it just sounds like wild speculation. It looked way more like he was just passive and often deferring to Wade.

1. Lebron never regained his 08-10 driving ability. By the time he lost the extra weight and got back to his first stint Cleveland weight he was 30-31 years old. You are literally the first person I've ever seen dispute the fact that Lebron put on weight in Miami. It is not "wild speculation", and the idea that his movement patterns changed along with severely diminished quickness was because of passiveness or whatever else, and not because his body changed, is utterly bizarre.

Brian Windhorst in 2018: "Some Miami Heat teammates saw the scale and attest to it in amazement. James himself just shrugs and calls it "weird as hell." The truly wild part is that it was from 271 pounds to 278 pounds, though James is much lighter these days."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22778062/how-lebron-james-fixed-back-track-play-all-82-games-nba

2. Miami's spacing improved from 2012-2014 compared to 2011 when they were archaic lineups with very little shooting, so Lebron had better driving lanes, and Miami actually installed a real offense that season which made his life easier. He also improved his technique a bit leaning into his strength more, added a bit more dribble moves and juke to his game along with spins, hesitations, and quickly turning his back onto defenders before spinning off them that he really didn't need to use in Cleveland because his quickness was so otherworldly. He was generally better adjusted to his heavier playing weight, but he never regained the same explosion off the dribble that he had during his first Cleveland stint.

VanWest82 wrote:Regardless of how Lebron "looked" in the 10/11 season, he didn't underperform and lose the 2011 Finals because he wasn't quite as quick on the drive. He lost because his jump shot wasn't good enough and because he didn't know how to give up the ball, find the mismatch, take them down into the post, and score. That's what worked on summer of 2011. That's what changed in his game. That's why he started winning titles.

This is wrong. He added a lot to his game after 2011, and they should have won that series anyway had Lebron not gotten into his own head, but watch a game from 2009 and then the 2011 Finals back to back and it will be glaringly obvious that his diminished physical ability was a major problem for him in that series. He couldn't even take 38 year old Jason Kidd and 33 year old Shawn Marion off the dribble in that series for god's sake.
VanWest82
RealGM

Post#316 » by VanWest82 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:41 pm

Again, I am not arguing that Lebron wasn't less athletic in Miami than he was in Cleveland. You guys need to stop with the strawmans.

A poster claimed Lebron's 2011 season should be at least partially excused because he had ZERO ability to drive. But somehow he could drive again in 2012. And somehow, with actual reported back issues, he was back to being top 10 in drives in 2015.

If you want to say Lebron wasn't as good in 2011 because he lost some athleticism and he still hadn't yet rounded his game out, then yeah, I agree. But I also believe, as many beleive, that Lebron struggled somewhat with the transition to playing with another high USG guy. Him and Wade have talked about this. It's part of the story too.

And yes, Lebron improved in 2012 when he finally addressed the weaknesses in his game, and he actually became a high level off ball player. But he wasn't in 2011 and that was part of the problem. It wasn't just "Lebron got in his own head". He didn't have basketball answers when a team exposed the basketball weaknesses in his game.
toodles23
Assistant Coach

Post#317 » by toodles23 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:45 pm

VanWest82 wrote:Again, I am not arguing that Lebron wasn't less athletic in Miami than he was in Cleveland. You guys need to stop with the strawmans.

This you?

VanWest82 wrote:It's funny you accuse me of making stuff up but you throw out completely unsubstantiated conjecture about some hypothetical weight gain (and then loss). I'm not buying the "Lebron was fat" argument. It was more like he didn't always have his rhythm because he'd never played so much without the ball."

A poster claimed Lebron's 2011 season should be at least partially excused because he had ZERO ability to drive. But somehow he could drive again in 2012. And somehow, with actual reported back issues, he was back to being top 10 in drives in 2015.

It was already explained to you why he looked better driving the ball from 2012-2014. Rather than pretending nobody gave you an explanation, perhaps respond to the reasoning.

If you want to say Lebron wasn't as good in 2011 because he lost some athleticism and he still hadn't yet rounded his game out, then yeah, I agree. But I also believe, as many beleive, that Lebron struggled somewhat with the transition to playing with another high USG guy. Him and Wade have talked about this. It's part of the story too.

And yes, Lebron improved in 2012 when he finally addressed the weaknesses in his game, and he actually became a high level off ball player. But he wasn't in 2011 and that was part of the problem. It wasn't just "Lebron got in his own head". He didn't have basketball answers when a team exposed the basketball weaknesses in his game.

This is quite the goalpost shift. You definitely did not previously acknowledge any change in Lebron's athleticism, in fact you denied it up until the point that you couldn't anymore.
VanWest82
RealGM

Post#318 » by VanWest82 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:25 am

Me, multiple posts back "I'm not saying that he perhaps didn't lose something off his fastball between 2010 and 2011"

You, "You definitely did not previously acknowledge any change in Lebron's athleticism"

Me, "and somehow, with actual reported back issues, he was back to being top 10 in drives in 2015" (playing with Mozgov and TT)

You, "it was already explained to you why he looked better in 2012-14"

Yeah, we're done here.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,192

Post#319 » by AEnigma » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:38 am

VanWest82 wrote:As for the Heat altering their offense away from dualing banjos with Wade to one focused more on Lebron with the ball in his hands, I'll let Wade describe it to you: https://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/7929717/nba-playoffs-wade-huge-sacrifice-lebron

This is less a response to you specifically than it is a response to a commonly pushed notion, but I think your comment is illustrative.

Earlier I talked about how fitting with Pippen is nothing like fitting with Wade. Jordan made an adjustment (or more accurately was advised to make an adjustment by Phil Jackson) to give Pippen more ballhandling primacy, and that is used as de facto proof of his offensive (reminder that defence scales too…) scalability next to players like Wade. … But Jordan’s dominant skill is not ballhandling, it is scoring. And he cared about that skill a lot.
Phil Jackson wrote:Basically I was planning to ask Michael, who had won his third scoring title in a row the previous season, to reduce the number of shots he took so that other members of the team could get more involved in the offense. I knew this would be a challenge for him: Michael was only the second player to win both a scoring title and the league MVP award in the same year, the first being Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in 1971.
I told [Michael] that I was planning to implement the triangle and, as a result, he probably wouldn’t be able to win another scoring title. “You’ve got to share the spotlight with your teammates,” I said, “because if you don’t, they won’t grow.”
"Okay, I guess I could average thirty-two points,” he said. “That’s eight points a quarter. Nobody else is going to do that.”
“Well, when you put it that way, maybe you can win the title,” I said. “But how about scoring a few more of those points at the end of the game?”
Looking back, Michael says that he liked this approach because it “allowed me to be the person I needed to be.” Sometimes I would tell him that he needed to be aggressive and set the tone for the team. Other times I’d say, “Why don’t you try to get Scottie going so that the defenders will go after him and then you can attack?”
In general, I tried to give Michael room to figure out how to integrate his personal ambitions with those of the team. “Phil knew that winning the scoring title was important to me,” Michael says now, “but I wanted to do it in a way that didn’t take away from what the team was doing.”

Does that sound like a guy who is legitimately worried about not deferring enough? No. Now, as I said, Wade was not Pippen. I do not think Jordan would have taken the same approach with Wade, although obviously we have no real way of knowing. But I do think Jordan was dramatically less likely to be worried about not stepping on the toes of this other elite scorer. Jordan supporters might chalk that up to superior mentality; “Jordan knew he was the best scorer and would rightly force Wade to adjust at the outset!” Whatever. But that is not really a point for his “scalability”.

So then we look at what is being sacrificed, and here we have a nice little sample of what Pippen looks like with no Jordan eating up the entire scoring load. And… he takes like one or two extra shots a game. Pippen was not really being asked to sacrifice anything by playing with Jordan — not in the way someone like Wade, who on his own was taking just as many shots as Jordan (albeit much less effectively). And for all those comments from Phil, what did Jordan sacrifice from 1988? Again, like a shot or two a game. The mentality may have changed as advised, but the total scoring load? Pretty much the same. As mentioned, he also sacrificed some general control of the offence to Pippen, and that was very successful, because Pippen was (or at least developed into) a better passer than Jordan, and passing was his best offensive skill. Contrast this with Wade, who is a worse scorer than both Jordan and Lebron, is a worse playmaker than Lebron, and has explicitly talked about not wanting to act as the point guard on offence… but who is an elite player because on any other team he would be one of the best scorers and playmakers in the game. Suddenly that question of who sacrifices what and how much becomes a lot murkier.

It is not original to say that in many ways Lebron is like taking Pippen and giving him some of Jordan’s scoring acumen. Lebron does not really care much about scoring titles (despite how many of his detractors refuse to admit that). He is an all-time scorer regardless, so it makes sense for him to score a lot, and he does have some ego about scoring (in before the “ten points in every game!” streak gets brought up), but that is not his primary game, and even though he has basically always been the best scorer on his teams, he is perfectly happy to share the scoring load, whether it be with Wade, Kyrie, or Davis.

Lebron likes playmaking in general. This is more traditionally his best skill… but there too he is not exactly unwilling to share — with Wade, with Kyrie, or with Westbrook. Westbrook, in sort of a similar situation as Pippen, really only has abstract value now as a passer, although without his scoring threat, and without any spacing ability, it is not exactly a high value offering. But to accommodate that, what does Lebron do? He tries to pull a Jordan. He relinquishes ballhandling, focuses more on scoring, for the first time in over a decade legitimately pushes for a scoring title… but the team’s defence is bad with Davis “suffering from hurt”, the roster overall is a mess, and a diminished Westbrook is still a pretty active negative who cannot be any actual analogue for even a younger Scottie Pippen. But is any of that a real consequence of some fundamental inability of Lebron to score next to a lead ballhandler?

Kyrie and Wade like ballhandling too. Neither have anything on Lebron’s playmaking or passing ability, and to some extent they both probably know that (questionable with Kyrie lol), but Lebron is happy enough to share. With Kyrie, this works well because Kyrie is an elite spacer. With Wade, this does not work as well, because Wade is a relatively poor spacer. But then we consider Jordan and Pippen again. Is Pippen a good spacer? Not really, and not to an extent I would put him beyond Wade. Well, alright, then is Jordan a better spacer and more capable of working past the spacing limitations of players like Wade and Westbrook and Pippen? There I would say the answer is maybe, and the reason why it is maybe is why era differences are important to this question (as has been discussed).

Jordan was a pretty strong spacer in his era. 3s were not a focus and illegal defence rules limited the extent to which an individual top scorer could be hounded compared to what happened once those rules were dropped… but nevertheless, he is one of the best ever midrange scorers, and he has a degree of raw scoring gravity that really only Curry has competed with as a perimetre player. Lebron, on the other hand, has no leniency from illegal defence. Lebron takes threes, and is enough of a threat to make them that he does draw attention out there, while always having a pretty strong degree of raw scoring gravity of his own. In Jordan’s era, I definitely give the advantage as a spacer to Jordan. In a more modern era? Well, obviously some fans like to argue Jordan would become a strong three-point shooter, but if we take his skills at face value, and his own commentary about feeling that reliance on threes is bad for his own mentality, it seems a lot more debatable whether at that point he actually fits all that much better as a spacer with Pippen or Westbrook or Wade.

So we know Lebron is willing to relinquish ballhandling, as Jordan did. We know he is willing to relinquish scoring primacy, as Jordan did not do and expressly did not want to do but hypothetically could have done if given the opportunity. We know era disparities penalise spacing in different ways, to an extent that it is not clear whether in Lebron’s era Jordan would fare better playing with non-spacing (/non-defending) teammates than Lebron did. We know that Pippen did not particularly eat into Jordan’s scoring and that Jordan’s presence barely affected Pippen’s scoring load. What exactly does all that tell us about how much better Jordan fits with random teammates than Lebron does?

I would say exceedingly little. What I am comfortable saying is that Jordan fits better on offence in his own era with non-spacers than Lebron would — and in that sense, relative to their own respective eras too. I am comfortable saying Jordan fits better with non-scoring ballhandlers than Lebron would, pretty much regardless of era, in the specific sense that Lebron loses more of his innate value from that situation than Jordan does. But on the other side, I think Lebron fits better with spacers and/or off-ball players than Jordan does, by virtue of being better able to take advantage of their skillsets with his passing. I think Lebron fits better with poor defenders than Jordan does. I think Lebron also fits better with Kyrie-type playmakers than Jordan does — scorers who space and like to have some offensive control but are overtaxed as a team’s first choice to perform either skill. And I think it is unclear which of the two fits better on offence in the modern era with that particular breed of player who does not space well yet is best maximised as an on-ball scorer… such as Dwyane Wade.

Mind you, this analysis has been mostly about duos. Think back to that comment about wanting to win the scoring titles. Is that easier with Horace Grant and/or Dennis Rodman, or with Chris Bosh and/or Kevin Love? We talk all about how these third stars oh so tragically were placed into a box next to Lebron. Okay, what does Chris Bosh look like next to Wade and Jordan? Is he suddenly freed up? Is a higher volume scorer asking Bosh to score more too? Is a weaker defender letting Bosh lower his defensive load? Does the team no longer want him to space the floor? Kevin Love has more of a passing game, so he is more interesting (not that either Blatt or Lue seemed to figure out how to make that work well even with Kyrie), but there too it is hard to say his scoring volume would increase next to Jordan or that he would struggle less on defence or that his spacing would be less important.

Jordan pretty much always got to play his way. He was never forced into a situation where he seriously had to consider relinquishing his league high scoring load (his principle and most personally valued skill). He was almost never asked to take a role that did not suit him. Because we know that Lebron struggled a little bit in those situations that Jordan never faced, we conclude that Jordan is an easier fit with more players? Nonsense. This guy is not Steph — not as a spacer (obviously), nor as someone who seems at all willing to sacrifice scoring volume. And he is also not Kobe or Iverson or Carmelo, in the sense that it almost always should be best practice for him to be that primary scorer… but then it similarly has almost always been best practice for Lebron to be both the primary scorer and creator, and despite his clear willingness to compromise on either, that is being held against him, with zero evidence of whether Jordan could maintain his “impact” next to players who would force him to adapt his game or otherwise see their own games disrupted next to him. When Lebron gets strong fit teams that allow him to balance his skills, they are dismissed because he was not as good on bad fitting teams. But when Jordan wins six titles on teams that allow him to maximise his scoring above any other responsibilities? Well, that is just a good example of how scalable he is!

I have said it before, but we are essentially rewarding Jordan for having a less dynamic skillset: “well, both of them probably see diminishing returns as scorers next to other high volume scorers by virtue of both being some of the highest volume scorers ever, but Lebron’s superior passing sees more diminishing returns next to high volume creators, so that means Jordan fits better with more players!” Like, fine, for those of you who want to give Jordan an easy 38% three-point shot on good volume, this is not going to matter for you as much. Just like there are those of you who will never move past six titles, or how scoring is the number one skill, or what a failure 2011 was, or how Jordan was actually a god-tier defender, or how Lebron is a coward for not sticking with the Cavaliers from the start. But for those of you looking at the type of spacers they actually are and are ostensibly trying to be objective and properly critical of the context in which each played? You should be asking a lot more.
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you
capfan33
Senior
And1: 535

Post#320 » by capfan33 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:10 am

falcolombardi wrote:
dcstanley wrote:One point that's irking me- how exactly is a lineup consisting of Klay/Barnes/Iggy/Draymond sacrificing offense/spacing for defense? This foursome shot a combined 40% from three on 16 attempts per game in the 2016 regular season. I'm not sure why folks act like Lebron has played with outlier spacing throughout his career.. This cast has better spacing than your average Lebron cast. Of course, Cleveland went all in on shooting but that proved to be a mistake. The Cavs would have been much better off with a Draymond analog (say Al Horford) than they were with Kevin Love.

You could argue that Curry's off-ball movement and overall style of play made playing Dray and Iggy together feasible but we've seen the Warriors cruise through playoff series in the vaunted Western Conference without Curry (or with a limited Curry) on the backs of Dray, Klay and Iggy. Obviously, small sample size theater but I think it's relevant if we're going to apportion the credit for their offensive performances to Steph.

The 2016 non curry/klay warriors literally took more 3's in better efficiency that the non lebron/kyrie cavs in the finals, yet people bring up 3 point shooting to argue lebron had a superteam offensively in comparision to curry

I am fine with the argument the fully healthy 15-17 cavs had more offensive talent around lebron than the 15-16 warriors around curry but once durant joins warriors any offensive help advantage lebrom had evaporates lol

Just because a team has so much more defensive talent doesnt mean they couldnt also have more offensive talent too.

Just to piggyback off this, I think people sometimes take for granted, the Warriors are a once in a lifetime type situation in terms of talent and luck. I'm sure someone else can summarize better than I can but they signed Curry to a 4 year 44 million dollar deal, just kind of happened into the greatest defensive player of his generation who's skillset meshes literally perfectly with Curry, and added KD on top of all that because of the 1-time cap increase. And this doesn't include Thompson, Iguodala, etc.

I think 20 years from now when we can see it all more clearly we'll have a new appreciation for just how absurd the whole GS situation was, I think it's probably unprecedented.

Return to Player Comparisons