12. 2003-04 Kevin Garnett
13. 2020-21 Giannis Antetokounmpo
14. 1963-64 Oscar Robertson
15. 1965-66 Jerry West
16. 2021-22 Nikola Jokic
17. 1976-77 Bill Walton
18. ?

Spoiler:
Please vote for your 3 highest player peaks and at least one line of reasoning for each of them.

Vote example 1
1. 1991 Jordan: Explanation
2. 2013 LeBron: Explanation
3. 2000 Shaq: Explanation

In addition, you can also list other peak season candidates from those three players. This extra step is entirely optional

Vote example 2
1. 1991 Jordan: Explanation
(1990 Jordan)
2. 2013 LeBron: Explanation
(2012 LeBron)
(2009 LeBron)
3. 2000 Shaq: Explanation

You can visit the project thread for further information on why this makes a difference and how the votes will be counted at the end of the round.

Voting for this round will close on Wednesday August 17, 9am ET.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,207

Re: Greatest Peaks Project (2022): #18 

Post#2 » by AEnigma » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:27 pm

Woo, glad Walton finally made it. Still a sad fall, but at least the guys who moved ahead were on either side of the era extremes.

Changing my vote and vote reasoning in light of some recent posts that made better arguments than what I was using.

1. Kobe Bryant a.) 2008 b.) 2009
My personal #15 peak. Although I find it fun to annoy his superfans, they are probably right in that the RealGM trend to downgrade him out of the top twenty peaks is pretty reactionary and often based in a misapplication of “analytics.” He is an all-time scorer with flexible range and exceptional diversity, a pretty good defender for his position and offensive load (overrated by fans, casuals, and accolades, yes, but we need not flip the complete opposite direction in response), an elite positional passer who absolutely had his personal creation rates schematically and stylistically undersold throughout his prime, and one of the great playoff resilience cases at his peak.
MyUniBroDavis wrote:So with Kobe for me it’s more so I think he translates better to other eras than his own, or a player of his strengths translates better to other eras than his own.

I think the 2000s were the worst time as a high volume elite iso 1v1 perimeter player.

Defining it as 250+ isolations

05-10

Of 22 players, he ranked 2nd

Of 36 players, he ranked 12th

Of 27 players, he ranked 1st

Of 23 players, he ranked 2nd

Of 33 players, he ranked 11th

Of 29 players, he ranked 9th

Kobes volume was usually somewhere from 700-1000, so defining high volume as 250+ would be a bit unfair in terms of respecting his volume although that’s obvious

Overall, in regards to limiting it to high volume scorers, while he’s not first every year or anything this does end up as quite elite. Randoms or people you maybe wouldn’t expect end up being far higher than expected even with these restrictions on.

Under similar restrictions, in only pure effeciency, he grades out better than Kawhi through his 17-21 run, not quite as good as Durant the past few years, although comparable all things considered (Kobe peaked higher but was more inconsistent, Durant was more consistently 3-7 outside of a first place 2014 finish, Kawhi was similar to Kobe in terms of being great one year and not as great the next but his best years weren’t as high and his worst years were worse)

Overall his percentiles in these are quite good as well

In terms of pure effeciency, His 1v1 scoring as a whole could be seen somewhere inbetween kawhi and Durant, definately closer to Durant.

(1v1 scoring doesn’t imply when teams didn’t help or anything, so this would include when Kobe would take dumb shots into help and stuff)

I don’t think Kobe is inherently unable to be hyper effecient as an offense player because of him taking dumb shots. While I do agree he took a lot of stupid shots, for sure, I also think some of that is a function of isolation play in the 2000s in general.

Kobe was generally a very effecient player, but didn’t get as much of his in transition as guys like Lebron and Wade did. According to synergy, of players with 1250+ more scoring possessions (I did this to generally get the top 20-30 highest players by scoring possessions each year)

Kobe ranked

12 out of 17 in 2005
8 out of 27 in 2006
3 out of 19 in 2007
7 out of 33 in 2008
3 out of 27 in 2009
21 out of 29 in 2010

Which matches most data in him going up a tier 06-09 and dropping off a bit in 2005. 07 him having an issue of just refusing to pass, which shows up on the a post somewhere about him basically not passing out of iso that year

More interestingly though, looking at the data more carefully

In 06, 4th, 6th, and 7th place are guards (Ray has some seperation but he’s basically pretty close with arenas and redd)

In 07, he is only beaten by Dirk and amare

In 08, pierce beats him (although he has 2/3s the volume) and everyone else is a big

In 09, gasol and Dirk beat him out (although he and Dirk are in a virtual tie)

There are very obvious caveats to this for sure, but as a whole Kobe was a very effecient scorer, while he did most of his work in the halfcourt, he did also grade out well in transition, and the Lakers were a good transition team in general which fits with his offensive impact being as high as it was during his prime

I’m rambling a bit but my main point is that I think kobes offense is seen as, high volume but not too elite effeciency wise, whereas I think he did combine the best of both worlds as much as a perimeter player in the 2000s could.

The reason I’m harping on halfcourt vs transition is, I think that the two things you have to look at are

Does a players presence mean easier shots are being taken (for example, lebrons presence means more transition opportunities so that’s a plus)

Kobes presence didn’t seem to detract from his team’s transition opportunities (given his teams ranking in that regard were decent in 08 and 09) and he only didn’t have much of them in comparison to Wade and lebron, he had a good amount of them and was very good at that as well

I guess a similar comparison would be hitting threes at a 42% rate on tough shots vs them at a 45% rate on wide open ones?

This isn’t to say he was just as effecient as lebron in 09 or anything, of course not, but I think it’s a situation where he’s shooting well on contested threes, and in terms of the halfcourt vs transition situation.

A way to see it would be, he’s taking a tougher role on offense (a more halfcourt dominant role) and doing so at a very effecient rate within that role throughout his prime.

Taking the harder role doesn’t mean the easier role that leads to more effecient shots is inherently limited, but it does mean his expected fg% will be lower, despite it not being a negative impact, does that make sense idk if I’m explaining my thoughts well here

Could he have been even more effecient if he didn’t take dumb shots at times? Sure, but I don’t think he wasn’t substantially more effecient than his peers.

Furthermore, I do think that illegal D>hand checking in terms of impact it had on iso perimeter players, at least in kobes case, and obviously their offense didn’t exactly evolve, so I don’t think it’s inherently impossible for Kobe to be an outlier effecient player under the right circumstances or era.

His shot selection could be better, but I do think part of that is a product of the teams offense as well, and he was very effecient in spite of it overall given the role he had.

In 2013 for example, the team ran a bit more of a pick and roll offense, although it wasn’t really one because of all the Dwight drama, and Kobe did flourish much more after having dropped off offensively for awhile. There’s more too it than that of course but still, that he got to the paint as much as he did in his prime and was as effecient as he was in his prime after the seasons leading up to it makes me think 06-09 Kobe in 2013 kobes position probably ends up as a super high raw effeciency volume type player.

ardee wrote:2008 Lakers have a 7.4 SRS, 57 wins, no.1 seed.

The standard line-up with everyone healthy was Fisher/Kobe/Radmanovic/Odom/Pau. Pau was only healthy 27 games. Bynum was healthy for 35, and they never played together.

Player by player: Fisher had a good year. 12/23, 44% from the field and 41% from 3. He was still all right on defense. I want you to note his jump in efficiency going from the Jazz to playing with Kobe. This is something that has been seen when many players play with and then without Kobe. He draws so much attention that they see their percentages rank.

Radmanovic was also basically a shooter. He shot 41% from 3, and 44% for the first half of the '09 season. This dipped to 36% when he was traded in the second half, and further to 28 the next season. So elite shooter with Kobe, average to bad without.

Odom was phenomenal that year, no doubts about it, great player all around. The main reason was because we first had Bynum and then Pau to be the second option to Kobe, while Odom was more comfortable as no. 3. His TS% jumped 3.5% from 55 '05-'07, when he was no. 2, to 58.5 in '08, when he was no. 3. In the stretch between Bynum's injury and the Gasol trade when he had to be the no. 2 option again, he shot 42% TS.

Pau was the perfect no. 2 option for Kobe, of course he was, we won 2 titles with him. Remember 2 things though:

1. He played 27 games.
2. As the no. 1 in Memphis, his team was 13-32 before he got traded. They ended up 22-60, so they went from a .280 win pace with him to a .244 win pace without him.

Bynum was also good, however, he wasn't as good as Pau, the numbers spell it out. He played 35 games, and would likely get injured quicker if he

Kobe took this cast to a 7.4 SRS and 57 wins.

I want you to imagine this team with no Kobe.

You'd be starting Fisher/Vujacic/Radmanovic/Odom/27 games of Pau + 35 games of Bynum + 16 games of Turiaf.

The best team would be the one with Pau. Consider, however, like I said, how Pau did on a Memphis team that was poorly built but still had some talent. Their lead scorer was Rudy Gay, who is a flawed player but can at least provide some kind of offense when needed. They had a lights out shooter at the 2 in Mike Miller.

This hypothetical Lakers team built around Pau would have Odom as their second option. Scoring wise, he is worse than Gay for this role. I have already shown he struggles to be consistent in that role. He struggles like that with KOBE as his first option. Pau is a far inferior first option to Kobe and that would put a ton more pressure on Odom. Fisher and Radmanovic can't create, neither can Sasha, and their efficiency dropped heavily when not playing with Kobe.

You can make the argument that this efficiency was due to the triangle partially, and not all Kobe, but the triangle only WORKS when you have an elite perimeter creator like Kobe. So therefore, you can rest assured their efficiency would drop a good bit, if not all the way down to what it was when they didn't play for the Lakers.

So, Pau, inconsistent in the 2nd option role Odom now with the added pressure of playing with a worse no. 1 option than Kobe, and Sasha, Fisher and Radmanovic offering little. I honestly don't see more than .500 in those 27 games and that's being VERY optimstic. In fact, it's more likely to be like 10-11 wins out of 27. The Blazers were a .500 team and they had 2 legit scoring options in Roy and Aldridge surrounded by fitting role players. The Lakers without Kobe are worse then that, even with Pau. Let's call it a push at 12-13 wins in those 27 games.

Bynum's 35 games. Bynum was worse than Pau at everything. He doesn't offer Pau's high-post playmaking. He can still be the main scorer but now Odom has to be the primary creator. More pressure on him. Bynum might get injured from the extra strain. I don't see more than 12-14 wins out of 35. Again, optimstically.

16 games of Turiaf. Odom in the no. 1 role. The team completely falls apart. Maybe 1-2 wins in 16 games.

So essentially, that team in a full season without Kobe wins 25-29 games. They won 57. Kobe was providing roughly ~30 wins of lift.

With this knowledge, it is hard for me to rank Kobe lower than 12 on the all-time peaks. I have Walton at 11, and this is equivalent to the kind of lift we know him to provide.

This was not a good supporting cast. If he had a full season of Pau it would be different, I think the '09 Lakers were great, but 27 games means he was working with a lot less for the rest of the season. It was a good-fitting supporting cast but aside from Pau all the players were supremely dependant on Kobe to do well in their roles.

He took an otherwise lottery team to elite status and put up a historical ORtg for the team when he had Pau.

Through the first 3 rounds of the Playoffs, the Lakers played 3 50 win teams and Kobe averaged 32-6-6 on 60% TS. That is peak Jordan level production against elite opposition. People forget the Jazz were a 7 SRS team and Kobe averaged 33-7-7 against them. People forget he dropped 30 ppg on 53% from the field against the defending champ Spurs while no other star in the series got anything going on that end.

The questions giving me the most pause for 2008 versus 2009:
— How does 2008 Kobe, or how do the 2008 Lakers, fare in a Finals matchup with the Pistons or Cavaliers?
— Is there some demonstrable improvement in Kobe’s game in 2009 that would help him see more success against any of those defensively tougher 2008 eastern conference teams?

2. Dwyane Wade a.) 2009 b.) 2006
Incredible athlete capable of lifting weak teams to the postseason (questionable for Davis and Kawhi with their traditionally lightened regular season loads) and decent teams to contention through elite scoring volume, strong creation, and versatile defence. His series against the 2006 Pistons is one of the most impressive remaining (Kawhi against the 2019 76ers is the other main contender), and although his fit limitations keep below Kobe for me, I am confident a contender could be built around him in any era.

3. Anthony Davis (2020)
Proxy’s commentary on Kawhi + my recent exploration of Dirk was enough to swap Kawhi and Davis from my initial rankings. On that Dirk note: imagine 2020, or even 2018, Davis on a slightly adjusted (to make up for the spacing decline going from Dirk to Davis) version of that 2011 Mavericks team. As a playoff scorer, prime Davis in a limited sample showed his acumen, and we also know he can be the world’s best defender. I would take that profile over the more one-sided skillsets of Dirk and Durant.
For a more thorough analysis, Unibro’s take is close to definitive:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2215651#p100682968
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you
trelos6
Junior
And1: 146

Post#3 » by trelos6 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:46 pm

18. David Robinson. 1994. Not his defensive best, but pretty close to it. And definitely his offensive peak. 29.4 pp75 at +4.9rTS%

19. Kawhi Leonard. 2016-17. He took a big step up to the offensive machine he is today. And his defence took a small step back from its stratospheric levels, but it was still there on key possessions. 29 pp75 at +5.7 rTS%

20. Kevin Durant. 2017. 28 pp75 at +10 rTS%. I know Curry was grabbing the attention, giving KD easier looks, but we don’t dock Magic for playing with Kareem, Jordan for playing with Scottie and Rodman (offensive rebounds), or Kobe for playing with Shaq.

Next 2 for tiebreakers are Kobe, Wade
f4p
Pro Prospect
And1: 922

Post#4 » by f4p » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:38 pm

So 2017 Steph is #11, but someone who had a better 2017 in Kawhi might not make the Top 20 (based on the last round). That is interesting to say the least. Better regular season, better postseason (and it's not like it's just this postseason), better head to head in the postseason. We're kind approving the Tonya Harding approach to life. If someone is better than you, just have someone you know injure their leg and then pretend you were better all along.

1. 2017 Kawhi (alternate 2019)

Multi-series playoff ranks:
PER = 8th
WS48 = 6th
BPM = 3rd (actually I can't look this up but '09 Lebron at 17.5 and '91 Jordan at 14.6 are the only ones I know ahead of Kawhi's 14.2)
TS% = 6th

And I'm pretty sure it's not all unique players ahead of Kawhi. This is arguably a top 5 playoff run following an MVP caliber season.

Kawhi's 31.5 PER is 13th all time based on 100 MP and 8th all time for multi-series playoffs. His WS/48 of .314 is 9th all time based on 100 MP and 6th all time for multi-series playoffs. And that's with 1954 mikan included above him. Even with very generous 100 MP and 20 PPG limits, his TS% of 67.2% is 24th all-time. For 200 MP and 24 PPG, it jumps to 6th, and one of the people ahead of him is himself.

If we are truly talking about peaks and not career accomplishments so gotta get our guy in, there aren't many higher than 2017 playoffs Kawhi.

2. 1983 Moses Malone (alternate 1982)

Tripped and fell into 2 series wins over Kareem and Magic and leading one of the most dominant teams ever. All while basically being early 80's Andre Drummond. But still, as limited as he was, you would have thought the league would have an answer for him, especially with a few guys around who are ahead of him in this project. Alas, he merely led the league in regular season PER and then led the playoffs in PER (25.7) and WS48 (0.260) while putting up 26 and 18 in a Finals sweep.

This isn't Shaq with Kobe or KD/Steph all having each other's backs in dominant 1-loss runs (and as far as I know, Moses didn't have Dr. J injure anybody to keep his team from losing more than once in the playoffs). Here are 6 dominant title runs I could think of off the top of my head and the separation between the #1 and #2 player on those teams, sorted by WS48 differential:

We can see that for the 2001 Lakers, 2017 Warriors, and 1999 Spurs, the #1 and #2 were practically identical. Except for BPM, Moses ends up there with MJ as being easily the best player on his team. This may have been a guy who joined a stacked team, but it ended up a one man wrecking crew.

Moses gets disrespected enough on all-time lists, apparently it is the same on peak lists.

3. 2006 Dwyane Wade (alternate 2009)

I'm a floor raising kind of guy I guess, which doesn't seem typical on this board. At some point I suspect we will learn Dirk won the 2006 Finals with his scalability across the multi-verse of 2006 Finals. But people who have everything put on them and come up big in the biggest moments with little to no margin of error impress me more than ceiling raisers putting the finishing touches on an already great team. It just seems like a more common problem to solve throughout NBA history than what to do with all this extra talent. Wade had a very good 27/7/6 regular season as a 3rd year player but obviously this is about the playoffs. On one of the jankiest looking title rosters you'll ever see, on a team where Antoine Walker played the 2nd most playoff minutes and White Chocolate played the 4th most, and Shaq was often getting outplayed by Zo, Wade saved his best moments for the biggest series.

Shot 61.7% in the ECF (68.4 TS%!!) against a still very good Detroit team that had just held Lebron to 81 ppg in the previous series. 26.7/5.5/5.2 looks even better when you realize the pace was 83.8. And then of course there are the Finals. Did he shoot 2 to 3 to 40 more free throws than he should have? Sure, but free throw totals were pretty elevated that year so his totals are only sort of absurd. Put up 34.7 ppg, 7.8 rpg, and 2.7 spg on 57.2 TS% while maybe leading the best overall Finals comeback ever. Weirdly, the only team that has probably come closer to losing the Finals before winning is also a team with Wade in the 2013 Finals (with 3rd probably also including Wade in the 2011 Finals). The Heat were down 2-0 and down 13 in the 4th quarter of Game 3. That's dangerously close to "1, 2, 3 Cancun!" time and instead Wade just went crazy and put up 42, 36, 43, and 36 in the next 4 games. In a series with a pace of 90! With 3 of the games decided by 1, 2, and 3. In other words, turn those 42/43 games into just 39 point games and the Mavs are celebrating. Efficiency may not be crazy but on that volume with such a weird, offensively limited roster around him against a very solid defense, this is perhaps the best Finals performance ever by anybody not named Lebron or Jordan. It's a title snatched out of thin air that very few players can say they would have been able to pull off. This is a peaks project and it's hard to peak much higher.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#5 » by AEnigma » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:34 am

Part of the concern with 2017 Kawhi is that small postseason sample though. We are talking like ten and a half games here.

I mean, think of it this way: would 2016 Curry be rated higher if the Thunder made a few extra threes when he was on the bench in Game 7? Part of why he takes a hit is because he did not maintain through the Cavaliers series. It is definitely unfair that Kawhi was hurt, but if Zaza does not undercut him and the Warriors adjust, win in five games, and depress his average, are we celebrating it as an all-time season? Like Proxy said, he is amazing if you could combine multiple versions, and going with those types of hypotheticals is a fine approach… but it is not surprising not everyone takes that approach.

And for what it is worth, the only way I would say Kawhi was “better” than Curry in 2017 would be in the sense he was asked to do more. Per game, I think 2017 Curry was even better than 2015 Curry had Durant not gone to Golden State… but Durant did, so no one really cares lol.
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you
Proxy
Sophomore
And1: 192

Post#6 » by Proxy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:33 am

I'm in a bit of a weird spot when it comes to deciding on Erving Vs Wade due to the limited amount of Erving film - my request is in the large text lower at the bottom of the post if anyone wants to just skip down

Both peaked with some of the more impressive finals runs ever. Erving in 1976 though it was two rounds and still good competition regardless and with a pretty porous supporting cast, boasting one of the highest peaks in our box score indicators ever.

Wade in 2006 carrying one of the worst supporting casts for a finals team(worst actually, according to PS AuPM for the years it's available for) and facing nothing but top-11 defenses - where some may even argue wasn't his peak due to the offensive improvements later outweighing his defense beginning to wane.

Both have some strange impact indicators going situation to situation over their primes partislly to what i'd consider their portability(ex: Erving's Philly on/off data and Wade's WOWY footprint after the arrival of LeBron vs before it) - even someone who is generally an Erving backer like Doctor MJ admitted he felt Erving was a player who struggled more to reach his high levels of impact by his own adaptation relative to some of his contemporaries.

I mentioned it earlier in a thread when regarding Erving so i'll bring the discussion back up:

Proxy wrote:
Now it's true that the ABA did have some talent, as people have mentioned. But when the ABA and NBA merged, Erving's production took a clear drop. Erving almost looks better in 1982/1983 than he did in 1977-1979.  Is there any context that I'm missing? I'd love to hear from Erving fans, since I'm far from a Dr. J expert!

I will say that in the playoffs from '77-'79(really on the higher end of star PS production rises), Erving's production rose but it was still nowhere rly near as good  as 1976- they also weren't as dependent on him as the 76 Nets were i'd say. In 1977 he basically led them to the finals as McGinnis was pretty much dead weight that run but the team wasn't especially dominant.

I think part of the bad adjustment was the lack of three point line spacing in the NBA, and part of it were strange fits around Julius. Those teams would sometimes run double centers like Caldwell Jones and Darryl Dawkins together, George McGinnis was an awful fit alonfside Julius as they wanted to do many similar things, and World B. Free's ball dominance did not help either, they all crticized for some of these decisions. Some of those decisions helped the defense but the offense was just not optimizing him(could possibly be an argument against his portability cuz it wasn't like they were terrible offensive casts.
https://vault.si.com/vault/1977/03/21/good-but-why-not-the-best

Another problem was Julius having shaky knees throughout his career and he looked pretty reguvenated because of that, and the addition of a 3 point line by 1980:
https://www.nytimes.com/1974/09/21/archives/ervings-kness-pass-first-court-test-dr-j-back-knees-pass-court-test.html

There are only like 4 ABA(from 74 to 76) Julius games available on YouTube but he really did not look all THAT different than he did in the NBA playoff games immediately after to me as if he went from randomly dropping from an all-time peak to an all-nba ish level player in one year, part of me feels im either overrating ABA Julius or underrating what NBA Julius would be in a vacuum due to the bad fit and inconsistent role year to year(some years being very dependent on his scoring and other years utilizing him more like an all-around specialist), because by 1976 the ABA wasn't too far off the NBA in player quality.

The WOWY indicators are what give me the most concerns, he looks far more inconsistent year to year than other all-timers in on/off data for the NBA. Some years looking strong and other years having a...negative on/off?

Julius Erving On Court + On/Off by year

77: (+5.2/+6)
78: (+4.9/+0.6)
79: (+1.7/-0.1)
80: (+4.9/+3)
81: (+5.7/-6.7)
82: (+8.6/+10)
83: (+11.4/+10.3)
84:(3.6/+4.4)
85: (+2.9/-3.2)
86:(+4.1/+4.6)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZxRM9p2dFil5w6s21VEB4HnQZJymEY8_2vej-jREuUo/edit?usp=drivesdk

Now these are heavily influenced by fit and utilization, and he also rose in production in the playoffs. We also do not have this data for the ABA when many people have him on their ballots for exclusively what he did relative to ABA competition.

We also don't have more lineup/rotation data to really see why this is happening(one thing I see is how Bobby looks very strong as a replacement in these coming off the bench so I wonder if that factored in to it a bit because of the lineups they faced), it still looks kinda unimpressive to me even factoring these in but idk how much value should be placed into these for a ranking with all that information missing. I hope someone else defending Julius right now could answer those for me.

Glad you're bringing this up. As someone who named himself on these boards after Erving, I came in a strong supporter of Erving and I've become less and less so - from a player value ranking perspective - with time. This was true before we saw his 76er +/- data already to some degree, but I have to admit being pretty shocked by how little Erving stood out here.

It has been speculated that it's possible that having a player as unusual as Bobby Jones may cause raw on/off data to look pretty strange. Jones was speculated as potentially a huge per minute impact guy before we saw the data, and the data seems to have bared that out. If the 76er rotation was such that Erving & Jones were significantly staggered in their minutes, it's possible that what's happening is that we're not getting a number for Erving that represents anything at all like the off replacements for other players.

That wouldn't explain everything though. Erving's on/off looked pretty pedestrian in the first two years in Philly before they got Jones.

And yet, I remain convinced that Erving's impact in the ABA was truly exceptional, and I think the dropoff the Nets had with his departure backs that up.

In the end, I'm left feeling like Erving needs to be seen as someone capable of great impact, but not of his own adaptation. He was someone who did his thing, and if you had the right fit around him you resonated with what he was doing. If not, the level you achieved with him wasn't something so high that you couldn't do something similar with a quality team effort.

I might draw analogy to Kawhi's defense toward the end of his time on the Spurs. While his focus on defense had started to wane at this point, there was still no doubt that he was a terrifying man defender that opponents looked to avoid. But while this led to good defense by normal standards, the entire team ran like a defensive machine knowing just what to do to work in the scheme Pop told them to run, and it made the everyday defensive impact of Kawhi a bit murky.

Otoh for Wade - yes he looks less impressive after the arrival of LeBron but it could also be argued it was an especially uniquely bad situation for his impact in which not only both were ball dominant, but both wanted to do very similar things offensively, this is maybe even the complete opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to optimizing his impact from the late Miami years prior. His athleticism also began waning quite a bit by the end of 2012, making it hard to get a large sample of "prime" Wade in that situation.

- -

I feel Wade has the advantage in terms of scoring prime-wise in the PS when considering the sheer quantity of elite defenses he completely shredded, and at face value he seems more impressive to me on a per possession basis. Though Erving's 1976 run in particular looks like it could be argued as a higher scoring peak, and his 1974 run looking pretty strong as well when the ABA wasn't too far off the NBA at that point.

That isn't to say Erving doesn't have some advantages prime-wise either. I imagine Erving has the edge in transition, way better in the post, is a better shooter, and also a better cutter.

Wade probably has the advantage as a passer and overall on-ball playmaker by a clear margin, his handle and burst just allowed him to create more advantages than i've seen Erving's allow him to do. Though Erving at later stages of his career seemed pretty decent as a hybrid point foward-ish role(not sayng he really pounded the ball or anything like that but more his playmaking responsibilities and lack of emphasis on scoring), and it isn't immediately apparent to me that Wade has as significant of a lead when it comes to setting up teammates off the ball(I think his vision hurts him there and is part of why i'm not very high on his portability, and idt he had quite the same gravity off the ball).

Defense is the biggest question mark to me due to the lack of ABA Erving film(there were only like 4 full ish games i've been able to watch from 74-76 - two against the Colonels and 2 against the Nuggets):

He adds so much value as a rim protector as a 3/4, i've seen people even compare him to LeBron in that regard in some ways. He was a strong defensive rebounder for a foward and from what i've seen the amount of high leverage help defense plays he was involved in during his prime was fairly high. Though he isn't without flaws either(footspeed on the ball, and wanting to leak out in transition are two big things i've heard people mention for ABA Erving).

I feel pretty comfortable in giving Wade a clear advantage in offense due to his playmaking value if scoring is mostly comparable at best, even if I feel his game scales even worse than Erving's. His shooting and off ball passing are the biggest problem to me, and his degree of ball dominance making it probable his impact IRL isn't completely indictive of what it'd be like on most team circumstances - but Erving's playstyle didn't seem to scale super well in his career either(also not really all that as a shooter)

I think i'd be mostly fine still giving Erving an edge defensively with what I know - but by how much? Does he just have a slight, but distinct advantage there? Is he just one of the better foward defenders ever historically and i'm underrating him? Is he even better in the first place with his aforemented problems? Let me know anything else that seems off from what i've said.

^Everything sent above was mainly for anyone now reading the threads, or anyone that didn't feel like backtracking to see what my thought process is like right now, apologies for not getting to my request sooner lol

What i'm really hoping for here is an Erving backer to be able to create a detailed breakdown of his defense and draw a comparison between him and Wade defensively specifically.
AEnigma wrote:Arf arf.

trex_8063 wrote:Calling someone a stinky turd is not acceptable.
PLEASE stop doing that.

One_and_Done wrote:I mean, how would you feel if the NBA traced it's origins to an 1821 league of 3 foot dwarves who performed in circuses?
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#7 » by AEnigma » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:56 am

Adding on to that query, I would be interested in an analysis of Erving versus McGrady as well, independent of legacy content (which Erving obviously wins; but for the fact he proved himself in the postseason rather consistently in a way McGrady famously never did, I would personally already put him a tier back).
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,893

Post#8 » by Samurai » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:59 am

Repeating my vote from the previous round:

1. Doctor J 1976. Yes, it was in the ABA. The final year of that league before the merger in 77 and at that point, the ABA was loaded with future Hall of Famers such as David Thompson, Artis Gilmore, George Gervin, Bobby Jones and Dan Issel. No plumbers or milkmen in that group. And Dr J put up one of the best all-around seasons ever. Led the league in scoring at 29.3 ppg. Fifth in rebounding at 11.0 rpg. Seventh in assists at 5.0 apg. Third in steal at 2.5 spg. Seventh in blocks at 1.9 bpg. Tenth in field goal percentage at .507% and sixth in 3-point % at 33%. And led the league in PER, Win Shares, Offensive Win Shares, Defensive Win Shares, WS/48, Box Plus/Minus, VORP, and Usage %. Off the top of my head, the only other player who dominated across that many aspects of the game might be 51 Mikan but we don't have any idea what his blocks or steal numbers were and I'd guess that the competition level in the 76 ABA was higher than the 51 NBA.

2. David Robinson 1994. This was primarily between the Admiral and Mikan, two great centers who played over 40 years apart. I have both over 77 Walton due to durability; Mikan played all 68 games (it was a 68 game season) and the Admiral played in 80 of 82 RS games, whereas Walton had 17 games in which he scored 0 points, grabbed 0 boards, set 0 screens and completed 0 passes. As great as he was in the other 65, that's too big a gap when we are comparing to guys that gave comparable impact for so many more minutes. While I don't think 94 was quite DRob's defensive peak and his rebounding was clearly below his peak years, he was still All Defensive 2nd team that season and it was his best offensive season. If he were better than 14th best in rebounds/game, this would have been an easier selection for me. I was set to vote for Mikan but I always struggle with how much to ding him for his era. So I flipped a coin and D-Rob won the flip! But Mikan will be my next selection.

3. George Mikan 1950
. I said that he would be my next selection so here he is. Most dominant 2-way player relative to his peers of anyone left. Led the league in scoring, Win Shares and Defensive WS. Likely would have led the league in rebounds and blocks if those stats were recorded then and would have been the clear favorite for Defensive Player of the Year is such an award existed. There is no question whatsoever that he was the best of his era, more so than anyone left. In terms of in-era dominance, he has a very good case for being the GOAT. As is, he may well be the most impactful player ever, given that the 24-second rule was established largely due to Mikan's dominance and the widening of the key was dubbed "the Mikan rule". A good argument can be made that the introduction of the shot clock is the single biggest and most influential rule change since the NBA started. The question is how much do we penalize him for playing in a weaker era. This is where I would draw the line at continuing to penalize him.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#9 » by AEnigma » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:07 am

the 24-second rule was established largely due to Mikan's dominance. A good argument can be made that the introduction of the shot clock is the single biggest and most influential rule change since the NBA started.

It was established largely because there were some absolutely miserable games that could result from the lack of the shotclock. It was not to stop Mikan, it was to make for a more consistent and entertaining product. Mikan was involved in some of the most objectionable games, but that is nowhere close to the same idea as what you are claiming.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#10 » by falcolombardi » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:12 am

Proxy wrote:I'm in a bit of a weird spot when it comes to deciding on Erving Vs Wade due to the limited amount of Erving film - my request is in the large text lower at the bottom of the post if anyone wants to just skip down

Both peaked with some of the more impressive finals runs ever. Erving in 1976 though it was two rounds and still good competition regardless and with a pretty porous supporting cast, boasting one of the highest peaks in our box score indicators ever.

Wade in 2006 carrying one of the worst supporting casts for a finals team(worst actually, according to PS AuPM for the years it's available for) and facing nothing but top-11 defenses - where some may even argue wasn't his peak due to the offensive improvements later outweighing his defense beginning to wane.

Both have some strange impact indicators going situation to situation over their primes partislly to what i'd consider their portability(ex: Erving's Philly on/off data and Wade's WOWY footprint after the arrival of LeBron vs before it) - even someone who is generally an Erving backer like Doctor MJ admitted he felt Erving was a player who struggled more to reach his high levels of impact by his own adaptation relative to some of his contemporaries.

I mentioned it earlier in a thread when regarding Erving so i'll bring the discussion back up:

Proxy wrote:
Now it's true that the ABA did have some talent, as people have mentioned. But when the ABA and NBA merged, Erving's production took a clear drop. Erving almost looks better in 1982/1983 than he did in 1977-1979.  Is there any context that I'm missing? I'd love to hear from Erving fans, since I'm far from a Dr. J expert!

I will say that in the playoffs from '77-'79(really on the higher end of star PS production rises), Erving's production rose but it was still nowhere rly near as good  as 1976- they also weren't as dependent on him as the 76 Nets were i'd say. In 1977 he basically led them to the finals as McGinnis was pretty much dead weight that run but the team wasn't especially dominant.

I think part of the bad adjustment was the lack of three point line spacing in the NBA, and part of it were strange fits around Julius. Those teams would sometimes run double centers like Caldwell Jones and Darryl Dawkins together, George McGinnis was an awful fit alonfside Julius as they wanted to do many similar things, and World B. Free's ball dominance did not help either, they all crticized for some of these decisions. Some of those decisions helped the defense but the offense was just not optimizing him(could possibly be an argument against his portability cuz it wasn't like they were terrible offensive casts.

Another problem was Julius having shaky knees throughout his career and he looked pretty reguvenated because of that, and the addition of a 3 point line by 1980:
https://www.nytimes.com/1974/09/21/archives/ervings-kness-pass-first-court-test-dr-j-back-knees-pass-court-test.html

There are only like 4 ABA(from 74 to 76) Julius games available on YouTube but he really did not look all THAT different than he did in the NBA playoff games immediately after to me as if he went from randomly dropping from an all-time peak to an all-nba ish level player in one year, part of me feels im either overrating ABA Julius or underrating what NBA Julius would be in a vacuum due to the bad fit and inconsistent role year to year(some years being very dependent on his scoring and other years utilizing him more like an all-around specialist), because by 1976 the ABA wasn't too far off the NBA in player quality.

The WOWY indicators are what give me the most concerns, he looks far more inconsistent year to year than other all-timers in on/off data for the NBA. Some years looking strong and other years having a...negative on/off?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZxRM9p2dFil5w6s21VEB4HnQZJymEY8_2vej-jREuUo/edit?usp=drivesdk

Now these are heavily influenced by fit and utilization, and he also rose in production in the playoffs. We also do not have this data for the ABA when many people have him on their ballots for exclusively what he did relative to ABA competition.

We also don't have more lineup/rotation data to really see why this is happening(one thing I see is how Bobby looks very strong as a replacement in these coming off the bench so I wonder if that factored in to it a bit because of the lineups they faced), it still looks kinda unimpressive to me even factoring these in but idk how much value should be placed into these for a ranking with all that information missing. I hope someone else defending Julius right now could answer those for me.

Glad you're bringing this up. As someone who named himself on these boards after Erving, I came in a strong supporter of Erving and I've become less and less so - from a player value ranking perspective - with time. This was true before we saw his 76er +/- data already to some degree, but I have to admit being pretty shocked by how little Erving stood out here.

It has been speculated that it's possible that having a player as unusual as Bobby Jones may cause raw on/off data to look pretty strange. Jones was speculated as potentially a huge per minute impact guy before we saw the data, and the data seems to have bared that out. If the 76er rotation was such that Erving & Jones were significantly staggered in their minutes, it's possible that what's happening is that we're not getting a number for Erving that represents anything at all like the off replacements for other players.

That wouldn't explain everything though. Erving's on/off looked pretty pedestrian in the first two years in Philly before they got Jones.

And yet, I remain convinced that Erving's impact in the ABA was truly exceptional, and I think the dropoff the Nets had with his departure backs that up.

In the end, I'm left feeling like Erving needs to be seen as someone capable of great impact, but not of his own adaptation. He was someone who did his thing, and if you had the right fit around him you resonated with what he was doing. If not, the level you achieved with him wasn't something so high that you couldn't do something similar with a quality team effort.

I might draw analogy to Kawhi's defense toward the end of his time on the Spurs. While his focus on defense had started to wane at this point, there was still no doubt that he was a terrifying man defender that opponents looked to avoid. But while this led to good defense by normal standards, the entire team ran like a defensive machine knowing just what to do to work in the scheme Pop told them to run, and it made the everyday defensive impact of Kawhi a bit murky.

Otoh for Wade - yes he looks less impressive after the arrival of LeBron but it could also be argued it was an especially uniquely bad situation for his impact in which not only both were ball dominant, but both wanted to do very similar things offensively, this is maybe even the complete opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to optimizing his impact from the late Miami years prior. His athleticism also began waning quite a bit by the end of 2012, making it hard to get a large sample of "prime" Wade in that situation.

- -

I feel Wade has the advantage in terms of scoring prime-wise in the PS when considering the sheer quantity of elite defenses he completely shredded, and at face value he seems more impressive to me on a per possession basis. Though Erving's 1976 run in particular looks like it could be argued as a higher scoring peak, and his 1974 run looking pretty strong as well when the ABA wasn't too far off the NBA at that point.

That isn't to say Erving doesn't have some advantages prime-wise either. I imagine Erving has the edge in transition, way better in the post, is a better shooter, and also a better cutter.

Wade probably has the advantage as a passer and overall on-ball playmaker by a clear margin, his handle and burst just allowed him to create more advantages than i've seen Erving's allow him to do. Though Erving at later stages of his career seemed pretty decent as a hybrid point foward-ish role(not sayng he really pounded the ball or anything like that but more his playmaking responsibilities and lack of emphasis on scoring), and it isn't immediately apparent to me that Wade has as significant of a lead when it comes to setting up teammates off the ball(I think his vision hurts him there and is part of why i'm not very high on his portability, and idt he had quite the same gravity off the ball).

Defense is the biggest question mark to me due to the lack of ABA Erving film(there were only like 4 full ish games i've been able to watch from 74-76 - two against the Colonels and 2 against the Nuggets):

He adds so much value as a rim protector as a 3/4, i've seen people even compare him to LeBron in that regard in some ways. He was a strong defensive rebounder for a foward and from what i've seen the amount of high leverage help defense plays he was involved in during his prime was fairly high. Though he isn't without flaws either(footspeed on the ball, and wanting to leak out in transition are two big things i've heard people mention for ABA Erving).

I feel pretty comfortable in giving Wade a clear advantage in offense due to his playmaking value if scoring is mostly comparable at best, even if I feel his game scales even worse than Erving's. His shooting and off ball passing are the biggest problem to me, and his degree of ball dominance making it probable his impact IRL isn't completely indictive of what it'd be like on most team circumstances - but Erving's playstyle didn't seem to scale super well in his career either(also not really all that as a shooter)

I think i'd be mostly fine still giving Erving an edge defensively with what I know - but by how much? Does he just have a slight, but distinct advantage there? Is he just one of the better foward defenders ever historically and i'm underrating him? Is he even better in the first place with his aforemented problems? Let me know anything else that seems off from what i've said.

^Everything sent above was mainly for anyone now reading the threads, or anyone that didn't feel like backtracking to see what my thought process is like right now, apologies for not getting to my request sooner lol

What i'm really hoping for here is an Erving backer to be able to create a detailed breakdown of his defense and draw a comparison between him and Wade defensively specifically.

Man, that SI article is gold lol

Henry bibby, joe bryant and mike dunleavy must be a record for future nba parents in a single team

Also lol at some of the comments in the article "he started shooting before the national anthem ended" lmao

77 sixers are a fascinating team for sure
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,757

Post#11 » by LukaTheGOAT » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:17 am

Proxy wrote:I'm in a bit of a weird spot when it comes to deciding on Erving Vs Wade due to the limited amount of Erving film - my request is in the large text lower at the bottom of the post if anyone wants to just skip down

Proxy wrote:

- -

Great post. I do think Wade peaked defensively in 09 probably.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,727

Post#12 » by CharityStripe34 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:21 am

Kind of sad I'm not in the poster-list in the OP Spoiler tag, but oh well (jk)...

Copy and pasted from the last thread. Some names that have been mentioned that I'm struggling with are 76 Julius Erving, 94 Robinson, 93 Barkley, 08 Kobe and 17 Kawhi. Still going to stick to my three from the prior thread.

1. Bob Pettit (1959) : A man much forgotten in the annals of NBA lore, but whose entire career was almost one extended peak. He had an awesome season the year before, even leading the Hawks to their lone title over the vaunted Russell/Cousy Celtics. But his following year was his second MVP season with ridiculous averages of 29-16-4. He's the guy who essentially created/defined the PF position once he bulked up and added a long-distance jumpshot when mostly everyone was shooting hook-shots and set shots. 1959 he also led the league with 14.8 WS.

Honorable mention: (1958, 1962)

2. Dwyane Wade (2006): Others have noted the brilliant season Wade had with his two-way impact. I went back and forth with Jerry West and Wade and barely chose Wade over 1966 Jerry West. Probably because his brilliant run in the playoffs that resulted in a Finals win over, perhaps, a superior Dallas squad that season. 27-6-7 on over 50% from the floor and nearly 2 steals a game. He made All-NBA second team but I personally would've put him a hair ahead of Kobe Bryant (who admittedly had a Hamburger Helper squad that year). If Wade had his 2009 regular season combined with his 2006 post-season, it's arguable for the greatest 2-guard season ever.

Honorable mention: (2009, 2010)

3. Moses Malone (1983): This was super difficult deciding between guys like Kawhi, Kobe, Barkley, Robinson and Moses but I went with Moses since this was maybe his finest season ever and most impactful, albeit on a really good roster. Demolishing everyone including a really good Bucks team and obviously a dynastic Lakers team in the Finals, outplaying Kareem soundly. Led the playoffs in win shares and upped his averages from 25-15 to 26-16 with 2 blks per game. An argument could be made that between 1979-1983 Moses was the best, or at least most dominant, player in the NBA. This season for Philly was a bit similar to the Spurs getting revenge on the Heat in 2014 after coming up short the year before, as Philly lost to the Lakers the year prior in the Finals.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Proxy
Sophomore

Post#13 » by Proxy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:25 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:Great post. I do think Wade peaked defensively in 09 probably.

Why do you say that?

PLEASE stop doing that.

One_and_Done wrote:I mean, how would you feel if the NBA traced it's origins to an 1821 league of 3 foot dwarves who performed in circuses?
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,757

Post#14 » by LukaTheGOAT » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:20 am

Proxy wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:Great post. I do think Wade peaked defensively in 09 probably.

Why do you say that?

https://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/6278/is-dwyane-wade-an-elite-defender

I think his timing on blocks and shot contests was probably better.

Even a year like 2011 might be better because he was less risk adverse:
https://elgee35.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/defensive-errors/

He peaked as a rebounder in 2011 too, back when I think it had a bit more value.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#15 » by AEnigma » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:45 am

Mm, some fun content on that blog.

Elgee wrote:In 62 games with Dirk, Dallas has a +4.9 differential (7.8 standard deviation). In nine games without Dirk, a -5.9 differential (7.5 standard deviation).

Which means, with a basic calculation, we can say with 95% confidence that without Nowitzki, Dallas is somewhere between a -1.0 and -10.8 differential team. Not exactly definitive, but in all likelihood they are much worse without Dirk. OK…but we can’t definitively say how much worse they are.

In a small sample, we just can’t be extremely conclusive. In this case, nine games doesn’t tell us a whole lot. New Orleans started the season 8-0…they aren’t an 82-win team.

We can perform the same thought-experiment with Dirk’s nine games that we did with Kobe’s eight minutes to display how unstable these results are. Let’s say Dallas makes three more open 3’s against Cleveland and the Cavs miss three open 3’s. What would happen to the differential numbers?

That alone would lower the point differential two points per game.
Our 95% confidence interval now becomes -12.1 points to +4.4 points.
That’s from adjusting just six open shots in a nine game sample.

Jason Terry — a player who benefits from playing with Dirk Nowitzki historically — had games of 3-16, 3-15 and 3-14 shooting without Dirk. He shot 39% from the floor in the nine games. By all possible accounts, Terry is better than a 39% shooter without Nowitzki. He shot 26% from 3 in those games. Let’s use his Atlanta averages instead, from when he was younger and probably not as skilled as a shooter: How would that change the way Dallas looks sans-Dirk?

Well, suddenly Terry alone provides an extra 1.7 points per game with his (still) subpar shooting. The team differential is down to -2.2 with a 95% confidence interval of -10.4 to +6.1. Just by gingerly tweaking a variable or two, the picture grows hazier and hazier.

So, what can we say using On/Off data? It’s likely Dallas is a good deal better with Dirk Nowitzki. But, hopefully, we knew that already.

To definitely point to a small sample and say, “well this is how Dallas actually played without Dirk, so that’s his value for this year” ignores normally fluctuating variables — like Jason Terry or an open Cleveland shooter — that have little to do with Dirk Nowitzki’s value. So while such data reinforces how valuable Dirk is, we can’t say that’s how valuable he is.

We can’t ignore randomness and basic variance as part of the story.

https://elgee35.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/when-he-was-injured-the-dangers-of-onoff-data/
breezypeezy
Senior
And1: 303

Post#16 » by breezypeezy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:11 am

Shouldn't Iceman Gervin be in the greatest peaks conversation?
Especially those years when he was such an efficient high volume scoring guard?
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#17 » by No-more-rings » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:27 am

breezypeezy wrote:Shouldn't Iceman Gervin be in the greatest peaks conversation?

Gervin wasn’t strong enough in passing or defense to be in consideration this high.
Proxy
Sophomore

Post#18 » by Proxy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:28 am

breezypeezy wrote:Shouldn't Iceman Gervin be in the greatest peaks conversation?

Well how do you feel about about everything he brings besides the scoring?

PLEASE stop doing that.

breezypeezy
Senior
And1: 303

Post#19 » by breezypeezy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:05 am

Proxy wrote:

Well how do you feel about about everything he brings besides the scoring?

To me he brings that same advantage Magic brought as a big guard it makes the whole team defense stronger.
At 6'7" Gervin was like having an extra SF sized wingspan at work shutting down passing lanes and towering over shooters. A very valuable cog in your defense, especially when you consider most other guard tandems in that era were giving up several inches in height and wingspan to what Gervin at guard lineup afforded.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Post#20 » by Dutchball97 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:24 am

1. 1976 Julius Erving - Dr J had one of the most dominant years ever in North American pro basketball in the final year of the ABA. Where you rank him mostly depends on how good you think the ABA was towards its end. I'd say I'm probably somewhere in the middle. With the likes of Artis Gilmore, Dan Issel, Bobby Jones and George Gervin the ABA had become a serious competitor to the NBA but it didn't become on the same level just yet and since even the mid-70s NBA is generally considered as a relatively weak era, the mid-70s ABA isn't one of the strongest eras either. Overall though this is still a very complete season and it remains a fact you can only beat who is put in front of you. What especially helps him out here is the Nets roster besides Dr J himself wasn't particularly special, which is a huge contrast to the other guys I'm considering around this spot.

2. 1983 Moses Malone - Moses wasn't the best defender but in 83 he does look pretty impressive on that end, while his offense has always been strong. He's hurt somewhat by playing on a historically stacked team but it's hard to go against him winning MVP by a landslide and leading the 76ers to a dominant title. I might be somewhat influenced by winning bias here but we have rather incomplete advanced stats for the early 80s so I'd rather not put too much emphasis on Moses not having an overwhelmingly high BPM.

3. 2006 Dwyane Wade - While only coming 6th in MVP voting, I'd argue he was every bit as good as the guys above him in a year with a pretty open MVP race without a clear best player. Then in the play-offs Wade went off by leading a decent but unspectacular supporting cast to a title, while being the best player in every series including against the #2 and #3 SRS teams in the Pistons and Mavs. I'm probably a bit more skewed in this towards the post-season than most but I don't think we should underestimate just how impressive this season was due to his impact metrics not jumping off the page as much as some of the other candidates.

Return to Player Comparisons